THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
superman_punch
Once Mohawked Pete
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
mikeyboybisping
hendos_right_hook
GSPfan11
threeofclubs
pinsman
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
poz
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
manschesthair_utd
gre660wl
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
Shanemc
the_king
Sheldan
29 posters

Boxing discussion

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Boxing discussion - Page 18 Empty Re: Boxing discussion

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah that's possible and understandable I can see that on the other hand It would have a a coup for Canelo to be the first to stop Sugar on his CV. Really hope Shane's calls It a day his reflexes and speed seem to have gone you could argue It was the Mayweather fight but for me I think It was the Mayorga fight that seemed to be the start of his downfall. Sure he looked like a million dollars against the predictable plodder Margarito and did wobble Floyd in the 2nd Round in their fight but for me he started to wane against Mayorga.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 pm

He took a lot of punishment in that Mayorga fight. I think that fight finished him as a legitimately top fighter. He lost that fight for all bar the last round.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun May 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:He's incredible. He fought Cotto's fight for many of the rounds and beat him at it. Showed real toughness when Cotto did get a foothold in the fight. Best defensive fighter I've ever seen, best counter puncher I've ever seen. Possibly the best ever in both areas.

Was impressed with Canelo as well. He could have done more but he won so convincingly without ever really needing to hit top gear.

Canelo-Cotto next for me.

Mayweather-Manny has to happen now, purely so Floyd can beat him once and for all and put all the talk to bed.

I HOPE Mayweather goes for 7 more fights. I'd like to see him hit 50-0. He'd have a legit claim at being the best ever if he did. Manny, Canelo, Martinez at 154, Amir Khan, Bradley maybe, Alexander maybe, rematch with Ortiz maybe. There could be seven good fights out there for him to get to 50-0.

The only problem is, is that he's 35 now. Plus this prison sentence is helping. 7 more is a big ask , but I would love to see it.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 07, 2012 4:15 am

He's 35 but he's in incredible shape and will fight again this year leaving 6 more. Which would take him to 38 because he says he wants to fight twice a year. Mayweather's body doesn't have the mileage on it that most guys with 43 pro fights at such a high level would have because of how he fights. He rarely gets hit. Last night was the first time I've even seen him bleed. That's amazing for someone with that many fights.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon May 07, 2012 4:37 am

Mayweather boxed brilliantly, and it was a really good competitive fight. I love how he turned babyface at the end of the fight as well by making up with Larry Merchant and calling out Pacquiao. Bring back the heel Mayweather! If not Pacquiao then Martinez at light middleweight should be next for Mayweather. Lou DiBella has said that Martinez would drop to light middleweight for the fight so that seems likely.

Alvarez boxed well against Mosley but like Cowboy and Anfield both said he just lacked that killer instinct. I think he should try and clean up the division before Golden Boy throws him in there with Mayweather, Alvarez is still unproven for me, and he is still 21 so it's understandable, but it's far too soon for Mayweather. Has he ever faced a top 10 opponent? Time for Mosley to retire, he has had a great career but his age started to tell last night.

Great action from Germany, surprised that Afolabi got a draw not only because I thought Huck won but we were in Germany! Must have been the same judges that give Martin Murray the draw against Felix Sturm. It was a brilliant fight anyway, like Cowboy said Huck does everything wrong but has so much success with it. A rematch is probably the only way to go now although it wouldn't shock me if Huck moves on.

Now to Ireland, huge upset win for DeMarcus Corley against Paul McCloskey. Chop Chop exposed McCloskey and proved that he is miles away from world level. It seems that McCloskey's nose has been ruined by that Breidis Prescott fight, he has a long way to go to get his career back on track. Fair play to Chop Chop though he took the fight on short notice and managed to get the win. Probably an early stoppage though to be fair.

Glad I didn't put on the bet I had planned, had filled in my coupon on William Hill with Alvarez to win on points, Mayweather to win on points and McCloskey to win. I was going to put £40 on but bottled it at the last moment, glad I did now!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Mayweather could surpass Muhammed Ali if he goes to 50-0. Ive always said I think he is easily the best fighter of my lifetime. The best Athlete alive right now. Mayweather would smash pacman. You only have to look at their stats, Mayweather lands slighyly more, although he only throws about half the shots and takes less than half the punches Pacman does. I like Cotto but im supprised he put up so much of a fight, he really tried to fight his own fight and at times he did but Floyd showed he can hang with a banger on the inside too.

Alvarez looked good but as with the other guys on here think he could have pushed for a finish.

The card in Belfast was a joke, I came in just to see Martin Lindsey get a good Stoppage. The prizefighter had more clintching and punching thin air than ive ever seen. It seemed very low level. McCloskey shoulda punched the ref. The crowd was furious and rightly so. McCloskey was a bit rocked but fuck me stopping a fight before a man gets Knocked down like that is a joke especially when he was winning the fight. Really disapointing refing.

At lest Irealand will win a belt soon when Lee demilishes Chavez
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon May 07, 2012 5:21 pm

How did Martin look Ben he has had a pretty lengthy lay off since the Simpson defeat prior to his return this March I thought he was packing It in to be honest. I actually thought the Dudey stoppage was justifiable and post fight I got the impression Dudey wasn't too upset about It I've always felt he is too flat footed for the style he uses In fact It was shocking how easy a shot Chop Chop kept finding a home for that right hand.

I would love to see Lee beat Chavez Jr can not stand how protected he has been and terrified of Martinez him and his camp have been.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Marty looked good, I only caught the end of the fight as I was coming in but he had his opponent "like Bambi on Ice" as my brother put it!

I think McCloskey is just a gentleman mate. I dont think he was complaining because he isnt that type of fighter, he could have made a song and dance about the Khan stoppage when he took a tiny cut that wouldnt have stopped a badminton match but he didnt. He was winning on the cards and in the 10th. Thats why I think Standing 8 counts are a thing Boxing needs back. Its stupid because if he had of dropped he could have taken a count of 8 to recover but he gets rocked standing and its over?

I think McCloskey could do with putting more Physical training in, getting a bit more behind his punches because the skill and the speed are there.

Lee is going to beat Chavez for sure... I think he is a massivley under rated boxer... and another Irishman who was a victim of a bad refing call that set back his career.

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah the Khan stoppage was bullshit although I don't think the out come would have been any different. Maybe a standing 8 count could have been helpful to Dudey at the time but for me looking at the replays on SKY he was all over the shop.

Speaking of the Northern Irish lads Frampton has got a fight on the undercard of Froch Bute against Raul Hirales who he should beat It seems Euro Champ Kiko Martinez is next or Ex Champion Steve Molitor in September.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 08, 2012 1:01 am

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7780088/floyd-mayweather-jr-measures-boxing-greats

Article comparing Stats of Floyd to todays fighters and all time greats. The stats vs Pacman give a reflection of how the fight would go, Pac man is literally twice as easy to lay a gove on. To me it is a bit too general to compare punch stats to decide who was the best. OK Floyd tops everyone but SRR on those but if its Floyds undefeated record that makes his legacy why not put Calzaghe up there.

For me I think Floyd will go down as one of the all time greats, Id put him in a top 10 P4p right now. But when I hear him talk about himself as better than SRR I laugh.

If Floyd fought Mw's untill he was in his mid 40's and tallied up 200 fights do you think his record would resemble Robinsons? Fighters of the past who fought month in month out wont be matched. They have proven themselves to a point modern fighters cant because big names fight 2X a year these days.

By the time Duran had Beat Sugar Ray Leonard he was 72-1. If he had called it a day then thats a record I dont think Floyd could match. Like Ali Duran fought on untill he was literally in bad health. Let alone touch Robinson who only took his 2nd loss over 130 fights into his career

Its not that Floyd hasnt a good CV but to be you can spend too much time reading into records and being undefeated. Tried and tested is what old fighters where, if you take 19 losses over 200 fights so be it, If after 5 decades of fights like Duran you start loosing a few so be it, the guy went out on a loss age 50 in a title fight!

Where do you lads rate Floyd as an all time great at this stage in his career and what would a few more big name wins do for his legacy?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 am

CONFIRMED for July 14th at Upton Park: David Haye VS Dereck Chisora, Ricky Burns VS Kevin Mitchell, Alexander Povetkin VS Hasim Rahman.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 am

Povetkin?

At least the fans will get to see one good HW fighter.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 08, 2012 2:48 am

Rahman is the king of the journeymen, he seems to have been a gatekeeper for as long as I can remember he is on a 5 fight KO spree since loosing to Klitschko. Look forward to him vs Povetkin. His shot has to come if he wins this one. I think he would be better to go after Vitali. I know he has always been seen as the tougher fight but he has slowed to a snails pace these days. He is finally starting to look old. Wladimir is a physical beast.

Hayve vs Chisora is causing a stir because it isnt legal, neither of them are licenced, I wonder how its going to work? Fall count anywhere Backstage?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 am

It's being licensed by the Luxembourg boxing association, although I still don't understand how they can license a fight to be in Britain. Frank Warren is risking a lot by undermining the British Boxing Board of Control like this. It just shows that money means a lot more than morals.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 am

A bit surprised by the Haye Chisora fight I heard the rumors a week or 2 ago and thought It was a wind up but man fair play to Fwank this looks a class card by UK standards certainly tempted to go.

Other news and Big It is It seems Lamont Peterson has failed a drugs test (the test was in March) The fight could be cancelled man I'm pissed to say the least I was really looking forward to this although the cynic in me thinks It will still go ahead probably too much on the line to cancel this.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Not interested in Haye/Chisora at all. I think they're both conmen and crooks, and i promised myself never to buy a Haye fight again after that harrison fight.

Wonder how long it will be till Khan comes out and says that's how he beat me in the first fight!? He could be right though...
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Won't be long probably sometime today and I bet Hat Man has something to do with It. Laughing

It seems Carson Jones could step in If Peterson gets pulled.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue May 08, 2012 3:35 pm

They had a fence seperating Haye and Chisora at the press conference today.

Boxing discussion - Page 18 Articl10
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue May 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Sheldan wrote:They had a fence seperating Haye and Chisora at the press conference today.

Boxing discussion - Page 18 Articl10

That's just pathetic. If they aren't professional enough to be at a press conference without coming to blows then they shouldnt be allowed to fight at all.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Seems very amateurish they could used a chain link fence or jail cell door to me more dramatic.

I've got this horrible feeling this will find it's way on to PPV the more I think about It why else would Haye get involved have a feeling Fwank will set up a PPV channel. Crying or Very sad
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Who would pay for a Haye fight? I highly doubt it will be PPV, Sky told him they wouldnt even be interested in showing one of his fights back when he was chasing Vitali.

That whole shit about a stubbed pinky toe just made him look a bitch. I think the fight backstage might well have been staged, ive been bottled multiple times and glass bottles down shatter like that.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 08, 2012 6:15 pm

I know what your saying Ben about SBO but I'm thinking more of BoxNation setting up a channel SKY can't really say no to It sadly.

This is the first fight for a while i'm hoping for a double KO I dislike both men immensely.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue May 08, 2012 10:32 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Who would pay for a Haye fight? I highly doubt it will be PPV, Sky told him they wouldnt even be interested in showing one of his fights back when he was chasing Vitali.

That whole shit about a stubbed pinky toe just made him look a bitch. I think the fight backstage might well have been staged, ive been bottled multiple times and glass bottles down shatter like that.

U know what mate, i've actually been thinking the same. But blood was drawn and they were arrested etc. I don't know whether it was staged or it got out of hand, but I honestly think they're gonna milk this to the max to get as big a payout as possible. Haye did the same thing with the Harrison "rivalry". Hate both guys involved.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed May 09, 2012 12:59 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7780088/floyd-mayweather-jr-measures-boxing-greats

Article comparing Stats of Floyd to todays fighters and all time greats. The stats vs Pacman give a reflection of how the fight would go, Pac man is literally twice as easy to lay a gove on. To me it is a bit too general to compare punch stats to decide who was the best. OK Floyd tops everyone but SRR on those but if its Floyds undefeated record that makes his legacy why not put Calzaghe up there.

For me I think Floyd will go down as one of the all time greats, Id put him in a top 10 P4p right now. But when I hear him talk about himself as better than SRR I laugh.

If Floyd fought Mw's untill he was in his mid 40's and tallied up 200 fights do you think his record would resemble Robinsons? Fighters of the past who fought month in month out wont be matched. They have proven themselves to a point modern fighters cant because big names fight 2X a year these days.

By the time Duran had Beat Sugar Ray Leonard he was 72-1. If he had called it a day then thats a record I dont think Floyd could match. Like Ali Duran fought on untill he was literally in bad health. Let alone touch Robinson who only took his 2nd loss over 130 fights into his career

Its not that Floyd hasnt a good CV but to be you can spend too much time reading into records and being undefeated. Tried and tested is what old fighters where, if you take 19 losses over 200 fights so be it, If after 5 decades of fights like Duran you start loosing a few so be it, the guy went out on a loss age 50 in a title fight!

Where do you lads rate Floyd as an all time great at this stage in his career and what would a few more big name wins do for his legacy?

honestly i havent seen the Floyd/Cotto fight yet, but is it really obvious how a fight against Pacman would go?
    I can't imagine Floyd layed the kind of beatdown on Cotto that Pacquaio did!
    not to mention against Hatton, De La Hoya, and Mosely Pacquiao is more impressive, wouldnt' you agree?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 am

Mayweather fought an unbeaten Hatton in the form of his life. Manny fought him when later.

Manny fought a finished De La Hoya.

Manny didn't but any sort of beating on Mosley. that was a glorified sparring session.

Mayweather destroyed Marquez, Manny has struggled against him every time.

And as for Cotto, Manny fought him when he was still not right in the head after the Margarito fight and Cotto gave Manny everything he could handle for the first few rounds. Floyd beat him easily.

Floyd is simply a much better boxer than Manny and would pick him apart and probably stop him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 am