THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
superman_punch
Once Mohawked Pete
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
mikeyboybisping
hendos_right_hook
GSPfan11
threeofclubs
pinsman
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
poz
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
manschesthair_utd
gre660wl
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
Shanemc
the_king
Sheldan
29 posters

Boxing discussion

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Boxing discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: Boxing discussion

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 pm

RIP Smoking Joe

Thanks for the memories champ.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 pm

R.I.P Joe, a true legend of the sport.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:54 pm

RIP Joe, one of my favorites of all time and one of the most under rated fighters of all time. He was seconds away from becoming the greatest ever, In the 3rd fight with Ali if his cornerman had of let him come out for the 15th he would have won... I always symphasized at how he felt towards Ali. But at least IMO they produced the greatest fight of all time.

By all accounts he was a total gentleman, he was at a boxing gym up West Belfast and a mate of mine met him on the street and started talking to him. Frazier took him out for Steaks and pints!

I will always remember him as a better Mike Tyson, The short stocky wrecking ball, constant bob and weave swarming offence, entertainment from bell to bell but unlike Tyson he had was one of the toughest big hearted fighters ever to grace the ring.

True legend, he will be missed.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:33 pm

What gym in the west mate? I met him when he was in a boxing gym over here also Ben. Know the Holy Family club? He was an absolute gentleman.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:What gym in the west mate? I met him when he was in a boxing gym over here also Ben. Know the Holy Family club? He was an absolute gentleman.

Yeah mate I know it, I think it must have been Holy family unless he was at a few ones, was back on 2003 I think? My Brother fought up there a few times a couple of years back, he boxed out of the dockers. Do you box there or just from that neck of the woods?

What was he like? You talk to him, He hit pads or anything? Didnt get any Pics did you?

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:21 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:What gym in the west mate? I met him when he was in a boxing gym over here also Ben. Know the Holy Family club? He was an absolute gentleman.

Yeah mate I know it, I think it must have been Holy family unless he was at a few ones, was back on 2003 I think? My Brother fought up there a few times a couple of years back, he boxed out of the dockers. Do you box there or just from that neck of the woods?

What was he like? You talk to him, He hit pads or anything? Didnt get any Pics did you?

Yeah this was back in the day as well. Nice one pal, dockers is a very good club. Yeah I used to box there, now i'm between boxing and coaching at a different club.

He was a an absolute legend. Very friendly and funny, just an all round good guy yano. He did pads with a few people, unfortunately I didn't get a go, though there were photos taken by the club! I'm sure i'll give them a visit to see if they have them, which they will and try and get them uploaded onto here mate.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Cracking mate, Small world! Id have loved to meet him and hold the pad for a left hook be cool if you could dig out the photos.

Wonder if you knew my wee Bro, Matt Neeson...

http://presseye.com/media/xXV1eDO0mabHA7nfFwRuFg..a

Boxing discussion - Page 10 1bea601b1b5c3270a79ca1edea94e3204b357700ec
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:03 pm

It is aye! Yeah mate heard the name a few times and almost certain ive seen him box before on a few shows! Crazy world eh! haha. He still at it is he?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:18 pm

He gave it up a year ago, that was him winning the ulster intermediates, he had been boxing for years and wanted a break. He had talked to people in Eamonn Magee's Gym about going pro.

He used to do MMA with me and had a semi pro fight on That clan wars show when he was 18.

I always tried to talk him into MMA because when he was at the Gym his Boxing was good enough to be about the besr standup fighter there and he registered the hardest punch in N.Ireland for the Taijutsu awards there and came 2nd in a kickboxing tournament in Lurgan to our Thai Boxing coach. Grappling just didnt interest him, If were watching a recorded UFC there groundwork gets X2 Laughing

You still fight yourself? Or you coaching in Holy Family?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Horrible horrible day.

Joe Frazier - one of the greatest fighters of all time, one of the nicest people of all time, one of the baddest men that ever walked the planet. While Sonny Liston played the tough guy, Smokin' Joe was the real deal. Terrible loss. Boxing really needs a Joe Frazier right now.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 pm

Sad news, Mayweather has offered to pay for his funeral which I thought was a nice touch. We're coming into a sad few years now where the likes of Frazier, Ali etc will all be reaching the final stages of their lives. I dread to think how the world will react when Ali goes.

On a bit of a lighter note, did anybody catch the boxing at the weekend? Impressive wins for Burns and Groves.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:05 pm

It's not the first time Mayweather has done this I'm sure he did It for Vernon Forest & Gatti (not 100% sure though might be wrong) top man sure he does a lot of daft things but he also does a lot good things.

It was a pretty dire under card that Fwank put on (The George Michael Carmen fight was a robbery of the highest order) at least the 2 main fights delivered Ricky won me some cash (Had Ricky on points got 5-1 a few weeks back Very Happy) and looked pretty good very displined and jabbed very well keeping Katsidis at bay at times.

Completely shocked at Groves stopping Smith so early thought It would be a pretty close fight It looked to me Fwank wasn't happy with the result he was very animated. It is seems like Groves is using Fwank to get to bigger and better things for me Fwank only holds the UK promotional rights I believe.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 am

Sheldan wrote:Sad news, Mayweather has offered to pay for his funeral which I thought was a nice touch. We're coming into a sad few years now where the likes of Frazier, Ali etc will all be reaching the final stages of their lives. I dread to think how the world will react when Ali goes.

On a bit of a lighter note, did anybody catch the boxing at the weekend? Impressive wins for Burns and Groves.

Groves and Burns were impressive. Bute was brilliant against Johnson who needs to retire.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 am

Toney also got beaten from pillar to post against Lebedev for anybody who didn't see it. He could have been out of there after about 6, but for some reason, the referee nor the corner of Toney apparently saw nothing wrong with a 43 year old man be punched repeatedly with no response, and so it went 12 rounds.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Top performance from Colin Lynes tonight was surprised at the way he dominated Lee Purdy to be honest I think Purdy started to believe far too much in his power after stopping Watson twice, But credit to Lyno he looked fantastic.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Bit gutted Purdy lost, I was looking forward to seeing Purdy-Vassell 2, be funny if Vassell loses on Saturday now as well.

Dereck Chisora has been moved to the Ovil McKenzie undercard in Halifax on BoxNation on Friday and Tyson Fury is fighting on Saturday as well against some Canadian but I forget his name, should be a routine win for Fury.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Luke is fighting feather fisted Canadian Neven Pajkic should be an easy nights work.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:58 pm

I almost forgot, there is some guy fighting on Saturday night aswell, I forget his name though, Pacquaio or something like that.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Yup that's right a certain trilogy I believe. Very Happy

If anyone needs a link PM me and I'll PM you some links I usually use one is very consistent.
    Won't post them here as for obvious reasons (Primetime).
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:02 am

Don't worry about them mate, they cleared off months ago.

Khan has left Primetime and his next 3 fights will be shown on Sky Sports, about time he realised that he's not a PPV draw.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Probably have cleared off but I do know they still post on boxingforum, saddo, boxingscene, eastside, sherdog & ect so I was just trying to be cautious.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:45 am

I'll prob PM you for that link mate. Was hoping to watch it on TV on PPV but Sky have STILL not sorted my sky out in my.........eh..........mobile home.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:52 am

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:41 pm

That guy is a fucking retard. Is he trying to be funny with his videos or is he just completely out of his mind?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:58 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:39 pm