THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Albion_Oakley
manschesthair_utd
Ginginho
7 posters

The Last Great Era of Boxing

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Last Great Era of Boxing Empty The Last Great Era of Boxing

Post  Ginginho Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi guys

Just finished reading an interesting book called Four Kings which claimed that the 80's possibly produced the last great era of boxing. The four kings of the title were "Marvellous" Marvin Hagler, "Sugar" Ray Leonard, "Hit Man" Tommy Hearns and "Manos de Piedra" Roberto Duran - they fought each other 9 times in the 80's, producing some of the most memorable moments in boxing history. Controversial decisions, fights widely regarded as some of the greatest of all time (Hagler-Hearns and Leonard-Hearns 1 come to mind), and the famous "No Mas" fight in 1980 meant that this era would be historically significant for the sport of boxing.

For someone who grew up in that period, I didn't realise how important these battles were and like most kids in the 80's thought boxing was about Tyson smashing the shit out of everyone.

Not only that the book opened my eyes to the dodgy practices that went on behind the scenes in boxing, particularly promotion, during the late 70's which probably still carry on today.

My favourite out of those guys was Hagler - more for his image than anything else and after reading that book, although the author seemed to favour him, he seemed like he had the hardest mountain to climb. Well after Duran anyway.... While Leonard was probably the best boxer of the lot of them, he seemed to pick his opportunities to take advantage of the others when they were not at their best, Hagler in particular.

Will there ever be an era like this again, where 4 boxers are matched up and are able to bring the best out of each other like these guys did in the 80's? There will undoubtedly be boxers of their calibre again but will they have the rivalries that these had, that define that persons career? There seems to be a whole lot more politics involved these days and the big match ups don't seem to happen as often as they did back then, and it is one of the reasons boxing is losing it's popularity.

To put this into an MMA context, can you think of any rivalries that can compare to the one above? Can you see any like this in the near future? The first one that comes to mind for me is the Couture-Liddell-Ortiz threesome who really put MMA on the map in the early Zuffa days.....

I know there are some big boxing fans out there and I would like to hear some of your opinions on whether the author of this book was right and of the boxers themselves.

"Marvellous" Marvin Hagler 62-3-2 (52 KOs)
    "Sugar" Ray Leonard 36-3-1 (25 KOs)
    "Hit Man" Tommy Hearns 61-5-1 (48 KOs)
    "Manos de Piedra" Roberto Duran 103-16-0 (70 KOs)
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Last Great Era of Boxing Empty Re: The Last Great Era of Boxing

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 pm

i didnt really follow boxing then, since i was either very very young or not born yet.

I would have to say MMA equivalent would either be (like you said) Tito, Chuck and Randy....or Fedor, Nog, Crocop......OR Hughes, BJ, GSP. Very Happy
    But i would definatley go with Fedor/Nog/Mirko since they produced the best quality and most exciting of fights.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 am

Tito Vs The lion's den was quite tasty
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Good post Ging. I loved watching all 4 fight. 3 of the 4 would probabally make any boxing fans top 10 pound for pound list.

Im a massive Duran and Hagler fan especially, Duran fought in 5 decades!!! what a guy, not to mention the fact he dropped a horse with a punch!!!

Hagler was the most under rated Boxer ever. His losses and Draws were all decisions that could well have gone his way. Personifys a fighter than will fight anyone any time anywhere.

All 4 are Legends, Hagler vs Hearns is a war! Never get bored of that fight.

Todays boxers could really learn a thing or 2. I think thats the last we will see boxers being so active and fighting anyone without politics.
    -----------------------------

How do you think Floyd would have coped with them? It would have been cool to see him in the mix with the 4 of them
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 pm

likewise this was before my time. But of the MMA rivalrys the best would have to be BJ Hughes and GSP. All 3 guys beat each other (BJ won the first Razz ), it had some widely anticapted rematches and featured 3 of best of all time.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Fri May 07, 2010 3:55 am

Ginginho, would you recommend the book to someone with just a passing interest in boxing? Always enjoy a good sports read!
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

ppozma wrote:Ginginho, would you recommend the book to someone with just a passing interest in boxing? Always enjoy a good sports read!

Yeah I would - I only have a passing interest in boxing too but found it really interesting...

rudeboyben84 wrote:How do you think Floyd would have coped with them? It would have been cool to see him in the mix with the 4 of them

I wouldn't have a clue to be honest as I haven't seen him fight at all. Has he faced opponents of the calibre of Hagler or Leonard? From what I know about him, I would love to see Hagler take his head off though.....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 11, 2010 3:16 am

He would have lost to them all, because he's a lot smaller than they were in their prime. Mayweather is, at his biggest, a welterweight. Those 4 were middleweights in their primes.

A prime Hopkins and an early RJJ would have fit in perfectly with those 4. Hagler vs Hopkins would have been an incredibly technical fight and Sugar Ray vs RJJ would have been an amazing fight to watch.

I don't think there'll ever be a group of fighters that great in one weight class at the same time again. Hagler was, for me, the best of the bunch and the greatest middleweight of all time after the original Sugar Ray, Mr Robinson.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Todays generation of Boxers are bigger weight cutters Anfield.

Mayweather is bigger than Duran who was at his best at Lw. Duran is an inch shorter and Floyd has 6" of reach on him.

Point taken about the other 3 they would Dwarf Floyd but I think Hearn and SRL fought the majority of thei career at Welter didnt they?

I think Hagler was the best but you cant overlook Duran who was considerabally smaller than the other 3. He was the Pacman of his day winning fights despite being really undersized. Infact he was fighting fighters with a bigger size advantage than what Pacman is going today. p4p it would be hard to say Duran wasnt the best.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Duran was short but he was wide and had MASSIVE hands and power for a fighter his size. He was a bigger man than Floyd. Floyd has no power above FW. Duran would have pounded him.

Hearns started at Welter but he was cutting rumble johnson type weight. He was always a natural MW. Sugar Ray cut a lot as well. They were both more than comfortable at MW. Imagine Floyd at MW. Hearns was like Paul Williams, Sugar Ray was like Winky. In terms of stature.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 am