THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Bulldog67
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
Shanemc
Albion_Oakley
Anfields5thKing
10 posters

The Boxing Thread.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

The Boxing Thread. Empty The Boxing Thread.

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 am

Ok, so i know we're an MMA site but i think there are a few boxing fans amongst us and there's a lot of good things things going on in boxing at the minute, such as Mayweather's return, Pac-man vs Cotto and of course, The super six classic(which i think is a brilliant idea and should be done in all divisions!).

So this is thread to discuss boxing.

I'll start with the first topic on my mind.

Ricky Hatton has announced he's looking to come back next year which i like because i like Hatton. He's a limited fighter but he's all action, all honesty and he's as funny as hell("That Brock Lesnar is a big bloke isn't he!? If you caught him in bed with your missus you'd probably tuck him in!"). Now when i say i like that he's coming back, i should be saying i liked the idea at first. Until(and please don't judge me for this) i downloaded and watched last nights edition of WWE Raw. I did this because i heard Hatton was on and figured it would be pretty funny. To my horror, Hatton looks awful. He's AT LEAST 200lbs. At least. He's got a double chin and a big belly on him! And he seems a little punch drunk. His speech and co-ordination just don't seem right. He also looks a lot older than he is.

Anyone see him on Raw or seen pics of him recently?? Am i over-reacting or would Hatton be risking his health by coming back?
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

The Boxing Thread. Empty Re: The Boxing Thread.

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:11 am

Your right, I think he would be risking his health. If he was as bad as you say they he should never fight again for his own safety.

As a side point, I also cant see very many potential fights for him that would be worth his while. Fighting at the very top level is out of the question, he has stepped up to that level twice in recent years against Mayweather and Pac - Man and been found out (although he did beat Tszyu earlier in his career). Stepping up to Welter is out of the question as Guys like Cotto would knock him spark out again. The only worthwhile fight money-wise at Light-welter would be Amir Khan, and while Khan has made great strides under Roach in terms of adapting his style and improving his attitude, I still dont see him as fit to clean a prime Hattons boots. Unfortunately, we would not be seeing a prime Hatton and I think Khan would keep him on the end of his jab all night.

So no, my opinion is Hatton should retire and enjoy being made for life.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 pm

I agree, he should stick to promoting. Make himself some more money.

I really really would like to see him fight Khan and knock him out though..............i'd sort of like to see him fight Mosley as well. But i think retirement would be best.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:31 pm

only fight that would interest me for him is the khan fight and i still think he would beat him i doubt can would like being roughed up by hatton and his body would get smashed from hatton id take hatton on a mid rounds tko
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Hatton vs Mosley would be a savage beatdown, IF Hatton really wants to fight at top level he is going to take a beating. Khan would be a good fight and would get a lot of viewers... I wouldnt mind seeing him fight Berto or Margarito... Maby Marquez... I cant see him winning any of those. Khan Included.

What happened to Prescott? He KO'd Khan and then disaperaed off the face of the earth!!

Khan and Hatton dont have any punch resistance but Khan can dish out more damage (at this stage of their careers) has better technique and handspeed. Hattons Chin is gone and Khan never had one but Id back Amir to win... Id be hoping for Ricky because Im a fan of his but I think he is done. Joshua Clottley maby could be another option?
    -------------------------------------------------------

Cant wait to Cotto vs Pacman, Its got fight of the year written all over it! PAcman to win because he is far harder to lay a clean glove on, his upper body movement is exceptional!! Cotto is one of if not his toughest test to date.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:27 pm

I also have Manny to win. Probably UD...
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:34 pm

What happened to Prescott? He KO'd Khan and then disaperaed off the face of the earth!!
    ----------------
    He's had two fights since then and lost his unbeaten record in the second I think
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Damn! shame he lost! I still think Khan needs to grow a set and avenge that loss if he wants to be taken seriously.

I think Pacman will stop Cotto in the late rounds or UD... I think highly of Cotto but Both him and PAcman have been rocked at lower weights (Pacman even Stopped) and I think manny is going to be outlanding him.

Like both Boxers, they always but on great shows so I wouldnt be gutted seeing Pacman loose.. I wonder if Floyd is going after the winner or wether he will fight Mosley? Mosley seems a step down as Cotto beat him already
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:09 pm

I agree Khan needs to avenge that loss, but it wont happen as long as he is promoted by frank warren .

More to the point with Cotto, do you think its right that he should be made to weigh in at 145lbs in order to defend a 147lb title? to me it smacks of setting him up to fail in order to make Pac an even bigger multi-weight champ!

There's no doubt Mayweather will be praying for a pac victory, as mayweather vs pac is the biggest money fight in boxing since mayweather vs De la hoya, perhaps even since Lewis vs Tyson! Its also a fight Floyd would have a great chance of winning. I'm not saying that he wouldnt beat Cotto, but he has had the chance to fight Cotto at lightwelter and at welter and hasnt done so...
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Forgot to add on Khan, he and warren have the perfect excuse not to go after the Prescott rematch as Khan is now a lightwelter champion and to my knowledge Prescott is still operating at Lightweight (dunno how, he seems big at the weight).

Khan vs Salita should be a competetive fight but a khan victory nevertheless, I really hope that both fighters keep it clean and respectful since this fight pits an orthodox jewish man against a British Muslim, and it would be great to see a symbolic gesture made through the medium of sport. Im not saying that the fight should be focussed around this in any way but its an opportunity for men of two sometimes opposing faiths to show that people can step out from the shadow of stereotypes and also give people like Nick griffin something to shove up their fat whitebread arses.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Saw hatton on soccer am, and he was sober and seemed pretty lucid and with it, def a few stones at least overweight but like most of ya, think its time for him to retire, tbh i think khan is the only obvious fight and i think he would be too fast and heavy handed for someone who will have become chinny
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:23 pm

I really hope Ricky stays out of the Boxing ring now,He's had an incredible carear with his only losses coming against probably two of the best P4P fighters of all time.
    The problem for Ricky is,he should only be fighting the best fighters in the world and not any of the lower ranked guys but I'm afraid that with his lifestyle,weight and his training and trainer problems,it has finally caught up with him and I can't see him ever recapturing that spark that made him one of the best.

I deffinately don't want to see a bad version of Ricky in the ring just like I hope De La Hoya finally calls it a day and pray that he doesn't go the same route as your Gatti's(RIP),Tyson and many others that just tarnished there legacies by fighting at a sub par level for far to long.

As for the Cotto,Pacman fight,I think Cotto is going to be Pacmans hardest test to date but I'm praying that he wins just so we can see the two best boxers on the planet fight each other.

I refuse to pay the ridiculas PPV prices for boxing anymore,$60 for maybe 3 fights that could all be over in the first rd when I can watch probably 8 UFC fights for $40(it's still expensive but it is by far better value for money compared with Boxing),but I will without a doubt shell out the $60 to watch Mayweather take on Pacman.
    lyalla2
    lyalla2
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  lyalla2 Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Albion_Oakley wrote:What happened to Prescott? He KO'd Khan and then disaperaed off the face of the earth!!
    ----------------
    He's had two fights since then and lost his unbeaten record in the second I think

Apparently he is going to be fighting Kevin Mitchell in a WBO lightweight title final eliminator on the Kahn vs Salita undercard. I think Mitchell can box his ears off if he doesnt go all guns blazing.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm

payneNglory1 wrote: I refuse to pay the ridiculas PPV prices for boxing anymore,$60 for maybe 3 fights that could all be over in the first rd when I can watch probably 8 UFC fights for $40(it's still expensive but it is by far better value for money compared with Boxing),but I will without a doubt shell out the $60 to watch Mayweather take on Pacman.

i have only ever coughed up once for ppv, hamed v barerra, and i thort that was a shit fight, hamed never shouda left brendan ingle, and so decided that was the first and last time. i dont care if i kno the result and just watch it a few days later, but then im not that into boxin, cant remember last time boxin gave me a buzz like the ufc/mma does

Last edited by Bulldog67 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:13 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:

He fought in July and lost a decision to some unknown. Can't remember the guys name.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Prescott is due to fight Kevin Mitchell in a WBO lightweight elimanator on the undercard of the Khan v Salita fight.

http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=23371
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm

On Pac-Man vs Cotto, i think Cotto will take this with a late round stoppage. This is a fighter people seem to be under-rating because of one loss to a guy who was caught with illegal wraps in his next fight! A loss that is very very questionable when the bigger picture is looked at.

Pac-Man is great BUT the Hatton and De La Hoya he fought were both spent fighters IMO. I think Pac-Man is being over-rated.

Cotto is just too big, too strong and too tough IMO. This is a guy that Mayweather actively dodged and then retired instead of facing.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:50 am

I reckoned De La Hoya and Hatton would be too big for Pacquaio but he came through both fights largely untroubled. I also had Marquez to beat him (and thought he did) but Pacman got a questionable win. It's daft that Cotto is defending his title below the weight limit, unfortunately money talks in boxing so this should help Manny's chances. I'm going with Cotto but I have a sneaky feeling Pacquaio will be celebrating come the end of the fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 am

De La Hoya in his prime would have mauled Manny and stop him inside 5 rounds. The De La Hoya that Manny fought was years past being past it.

Hatton was done the moment Mayweather knocked him out. He was never the same fighter.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Right. I'm never backing anyone against Pacman again, well maybe Mayweather if they fight. That was a very impressive win over Cotto, despite going up in weight he maintains his speed and power.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 pm

What a performance, I knew pacman would have won UD or stopped Cotto in the late rounds, its about who was going to land the more meaningfull punches and get through more and Pacmans movement and handspeed saw him through one of the toughest fights of his career. I think he has a claim to be p4p best. I really hope he goes straight into a fight with FLoyd... But Im with you I cant see him winning that one, All FLoyd needs to do it stay calm and counter him all nite. Manny is at his worst when someone is countering him.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 pm

didnt expect pacman to win so decisevly really impressed me last night i think the mayweather has got to happen now it would be one of the biggest fights ever and with the money both could prob retire really also where does cotto go from here? maybe a rematch with mosley or margarito he doesnt look the same anymore i think hes finished at this level
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Cotto owes Margarito a beating. Cotto's chin has looked suspect since his defeat against Hands of Plaster, however he's still only 29 and should have the beating of most welterweights.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm stunned. That was one of the greatest performances i've evere seen. By far the best performance of PacMan's career. He took things to a new level last night.

Mayweather better have a seriously good game plan whenever they fight!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Anfield, do you still reckon a prime De La Hoya would have taken Pacman? After watching that fight I ain't too sure if he could.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 am