THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+19
1972-casual
sunthunder
p4pnumber_1
ChelseaQuinsfan
2brutal
payneNglory1
manschesthair_utd
mikeyboybisping
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
pinsman
Moose Stuff For Money...
superman_punch
Anfields5thKing
Mryzyz
redmeanie77
KalDog
efils_god
The_Axe_Emperor
23 posters

UFC 128 Review

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 128 Review - Page 4 Empty Re: UFC 128 Review

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:19 pm

You know more than me?? If I forgot everything I know, I'd still no more than you.

Now, in the words of the great Ari Gold, crawl back into your mothers womb and cook some more.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Anfield, that comment resembles something Michael Bisping would come out with. Maybe you two are more alike than you realise. Hilarious!!!!!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Stop attempting to compare me to your family members.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Is that it Anfield? Your comedy is worse than your knowledge of MMA. What a buffoon!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Why are you still talking?? You know nothing about the sport. You're a third rate poster from 606.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:37 pm

The bjj debate at light heavy is a really good point I was thinking last night when was the last time a top 10 lhw won by sub off top of my head I struggled, Roger Gracie best in world in most peoples eyes seems to be the only one subbing people everyone else seems to get ko'd of points what's happened to subs at lhw, agree with sheldans posts makes a lot of sense,
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:45 pm

When Jones subbed Bader he was probably just top ten, but the point is a valid one. Before that i have no idea. Griffin subbing Shogun?!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:53 pm

At LHW submissions at the highest level are pretty rare. Jones - Bader and Shogun - Forrest are the last two that come to mind. Machida tapped Soko. Not sure either was top ten at the time.

Edit: He's not top 10 yet but Mr. Wonderful has tapped a few people.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:24 pm

I don't understand the thought process of people who say Shogun was in proper shape for this fight.

This exact same situation has happened before, Shogun had a lengthy layoff during which he was recovering from a knee injury. He came back, and was comparatively awful.
    Shogun went into the Jones fight after a lengthy layoff during which he was recovering from a knee injury, with no other major differences to the previous long layoff whilst recovering from a knee injury.
    He was no better than a little bit better than Mark Coleman is now going into the Jones fight.

Expecting different results from the same action is one of the surest signs of insanity.
    Repeating the same action, seeing the same result, and still thinking the result was different, well, thats... super duper double insane.

Don't use the excuse that Shogun said he 'properly rehabed his knee'. No fighter says they aren't in good condition.
    And there is no such thing as 'properly' rehabbing a knee injury, in the conventional sense
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Mryzyz wrote:I don't understand the thought process of people who say Shogun was in proper shape for this fight.

This exact same situation has happened before, Shogun had a lengthy layoff during which he was recovering from a knee injury. He came back, and was comparatively awful.
    Shogun went into the Jones fight after a lengthy layoff during which he was recovering from a knee injury, with no other major differences to the previous long layoff whilst recovering from a knee injury.
    He was no better than a little bit better than Mark Coleman is now going into the Jones fight.

Expecting different results from the same action is one of the surest signs of insanity.
    Repeating the same action, seeing the same result, and still thinking the result was different, well, thats... super duper double insane.

Don't use the excuse that Shogun said he 'properly rehabed his knee'. No fighter says they aren't in good condition.
    And there is no such thing as 'properly' rehabbing a knee injury, in the conventional sense

I don't think he was in proper shape. I just don't really know why he was in such bad shape. Yes it has happened before. But doesn't that make you more determined for it not to happen again?

Why does it happen to Shogun so badly, and not to other fighters?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Hypotheses non fingo.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 pm

efils_god wrote:
    Mryzyz wrote:I don't understand the thought process of people who say Shogun was in proper shape for this fight.

I don't think he was in proper shape. I just don't really know why he was in such bad shape. Yes it has happened before. But doesn't that make you more determined for it not to happen again?

Why does it happen to Shogun so badly, and not to other fighters?

Could be a couple of things. Lack of motivation. Not being pushed properly by his coaches. Years of injuries taking their toll. Could also be genetic. Look at Ninja any time he has a long lay off. And both Rua boys are prone to weight gain when they have long lay offs. And if he's fucked up his cut on top of the long lay off then that's a recipe for disaster. Look at people like Hendo, Alves and Rampage when they've come back from long lay offs and messed up their cuts and ended up gassing in a round. Especially Rampage who is also prone to putting on a lot of weight. Apparently he's up to 250 at the minute?

What you have to remember is that when you rehab an injury like that and then attempt to go straight into training camp, your body is improving and getting in better and better shape but the part of your body with the injury is not going to improve like the rest of your body. It might feel like it's in shape but it's not. For an mma fighter, with an injury like that, you need 8 months strictly rehabbing. Then 3 months getting in basic shape and bringing yourself along slowly, making sure that all parts are equal and then a good 3 month camp. 14 months from surgery until your back. And this was Shogun's 3rd reconstruction.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

In that case, how much pressure do you think the UFc puts on fighters (particularly champs?) coming back from long lay offs to come back earlier than they are ready?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Shogun may have actually needed the money so he could afford to live.
    I doubt he got a PPV cut previously. Out of his $200K from the Machida fight he probably only banked about $80-100K.
    This is probably the first time, as the champ, he got any sort of PPV slice. He wouldn't want to risk his retirement money by training too hard and aggravating his knee...

That is all a bit 'out there' I admit.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Shogun was not in great shape that isn't for argument he looked like a cross between Sanchez and big country the whole bones bashing is wrong IMO he did very well and is a very real threat to all in mma, the thing that gets me with shogun is either he underestimated jones or he didn't care enough because, he can't of been injured because he had the perfect chance to pull out when rushed did beginning of feb, who knows hope he comes back in shape such a great stricker back in the day and still now the machida ko was immense, thanks re the lhw subs top 10ish I was struggling to think, bring on the weekend hard and rumble should be good and interesting to see what mr wonderful does I'm guessing take down take takedown but who knows ps barbozas kick last 5 seconds just me feeling that ???
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm

That's a good point I forgot about the old mighty dollar
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 pm

1972-casual wrote:Anfield, I know more about MMA than you do. Having read what you have to say you sound like a part time fan who is really a wum. I mean, you can't seriosuly mean half the shit you talk??

Did you just use "wum"? Fuck off back to 606. Anfield can be off Mark sometimes but his shogun posts above hit the nail on the head. Instead of slagging him off why don't you enlighten us with your 128 thoughts

Last edited by KalDog on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Barbosa's kick was cool! Also how did Shalorus stay up after taking Miller's boot to the face?! Guy has a great chin.

I'd like to see a big step up in competition for Miller now. He deserves a No. 1 contender fight to be next in line after Pettis. Who should he fight though? Gomi? Siver? I'm sure Siver had a fight announced actually.... struggling for another opponent as a No1 fight...
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Barbosas kick was awesome, if he'd caught him with his heel it woulda been night night. Nokajuani (spelling) is one to watch to. Both guys are young and exciting fighters.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm

efils_god wrote:II'd like to see a big step up in competition for Miller now. He deserves a No. 1 contender fight to be next in line after Pettis. Who should he fight though? Gomi? Siver? I'm sure Siver had a fight announced actually.... struggling for another opponent as a No1 fight...

Highest ranked guy I'd say there is without a current opponent is Sean Sherk, the lightweight division is an awful division to be in at the moment if you're a contender, there is about 5 or 6 guys who could state a claim for the title.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 pm

On the injury discussion, the obvious thing is that shoguns main weapon is his leg kicks... if he's blown his knee three times he's not going to be able to train legs (weights/or kicking) for a very long time, even after his rehab... A fellow rugby player in my team had one knee reconstructed 2 years ago... hes still limping now, I wouldnt be suprised if shogun retires soon after three...

He'll be in a wheel chair real soon.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Such a shame.

Most talented LHW ever. I might actually be a Machida fan now, any success he achieves will make Shogun look good by proxy. (apart from beating up a knackered Shogun) and bolster his legacy.

Sadly there are idiots who think what happened at 128 is because JJ really is that good, and sadly those idiots are what makes up the majority of the MMA fanbase. I would hate Shogun not to get his dues in the history books.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Mryzyz why the jon jones hostility he has embarrassed everyone he has fought I agree there are still some massive doubts ie his chin him on his back and his gas tank however he is pretty impressive at the mo, rekon you could be made to eat your words on this one buddy, elfis I forgot about the sahlorous he showed some chin and balls, miller v impressive and that follows the oliver a win rekon it cud be sherk next if he is ever fit, all the rest are tied up with fights dun ham g sot should b a cracker
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Don't get me wrong love shogun he was the man in the pride mw gp 2005 and stopping machida was immense Shogun top 10 goat
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Been enjoying the insult exchange.

I was sorely disappointed in Shoguns performance, he looked terrible, but, after the knee issues, I suppose it was to be expected. I would like to see Jones against a top-level striker before I could pass any judgement on his future at LHW. There's no doubt that his wrestling will get him out of a lot of trouble, but not convinced about his footwork, or his ability to take a decent shot. He did seem to wobble a little when Bader tagged him, but I really thought that Shogun would at least test that area of Jones's game.

I don't see Evans causing him too many problems and Rampage is way past his best, not sure about Hendo (if it was Hendo of old, think he'd a have a decent chance). Would love to see Machida come back into contention (although he should never been out of the equation after that robbery against Rampage).

With regards to the Cro-Cop/Schaub fight, I too think that Cro-Cop went into the 3rd leading on points. Watched it again this morning and whilst I had Schaub winning the 1st 10-9, I thought Cro-Cop won the 2nd 10-9 and with the point deduction 10-8.

Was impressed with the Barboza fight, great match-making there, and overall, thought it was a decent night of fights.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:02 am