THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
the_king
rudeboyben84
pinsman
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
efils_god
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
16 posters

UFC 123 Review

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 123 Review Empty UFC 123 Review

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:40 am

Rampage looked so much better than he has in a long time. He exceeded my personal expectations and IMO deservedly won the fight. I had round one and two Rampage, round three Machida. Although there wasn't a huge amount of action i was hooked from start to finish, and even though Rampage looked great, i still think a change of camp is in order if he wants to truly get back to his glory days.

BJ destroyed Hughes in very quick fashion. Its hard to say either fighter looked good because it only lasted 21 seconds but it was clear that Hughes had fallen in love with his striking, and what a silly thing to do in a fight against BJ. Next for Hughes, retirement probably. For Penn, Jon Fitch at UFC 127 Twisted Evil

Gerald Harris looked absolutely gash, but Maiquel Falcao (what a find by thearmbar cheers) looked fantastic. He picked his shots with the speed of a certain Mr Belfort. Looks a real prospect in the division.

EDIT: Apparently the round ended 5/6 seconds earlier than it should've done.
    UFC 123 Review 2
    Interesting, if it had lasted an extra 5 it would've been all over, no question.

Phil Davis turned in another dominant performance as he invented his own submission, aptly dubbed the "Mr. Wonderful" by Joe Rogan. He took down and pounded on Phil Mitchell for the first round and some of the second before locking up the glorified policemans hold and finisihing Mitchell off, 2:55 of round 2.

Joe Lauzon started off well against G-Sot but ultimately fell prey to the much better fighter. G-Sot's groundgame is world class, he does sometimes get carried away, putting submission before position but that makes every fight hes in a cracker. Good win for Sotiropoulos but yet AGAIN he's getting shafted, next up for him is Denis Siver at UFC 127.

In the Pre-Lims live on Spike, The Immortal succumbed to Brian Foster via a 2nd round guillotine in another very exciting Matt Brown fight! (Anfield Rolling Eyes ), Mark Munoz defeated A-Train Simpson via UD (29-28 x3) in a fun fight.

Karo Parisyan was TKO'd in a very strange fight with Dennis Hallman. He was rocked by a solid punch to the temple but didn't seem all that hurt, Hallman pounced, threw about 10 hammerfist, landed roughly two, and Dan Miragliotta stopped it. That ref is a joke but it was a weird performance from Karo, he didn't look himself. Good win for Hallman though, he's on quite a streak. If Hughes doesn't retire, that fight makes sense for both fighters now.

Paul Kelly flattened TJ O'Brien in your typical Paul Kelly slugfest, definitely one of the most exciting fighters P4P IMO, but he had some trouble with the huge O'Brien early on. However he landed a sweet left hook and dropped him in the second, dominated him on the ground and TKO'd him with elbows with just under 2 mins remaining of round 2.

Edson Barboza = Jose Aldo in disguise?

The only fight not shown on the broadcast, not surprisingly was the Nik Lentz fight. I haven't seen it so can't comment on whether it was boring like the Winner fight but he won a weird split decision against Tyson Griffin (29-28, 27-30, 29-28). It was discussed on here before the event but Griffin has got to face the cut now IMO, especially with the WEC merger.

== ==

Overall a fantastic night of fights, the best card since i can remember, and definitely an improvement on the UFC's recent cards. Thoughts?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 123 Review Empty Re: UFC 123 Review

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Probably the best card of the year, close with UFC 114 i think... cheers

Rampage comes out with the old Pride theme was just great, and it was such an enthralling fight. Reminded me of Shogun-Machida 1. I also thought Rampage won 29-28. The margin in which he won the 1st 2 rounds was less than how Machida won the 3rd. But thats how fights are judged in the states. Dana also agree's that Rampage clearly won the fight, and says there wont be an immediate rematch. Rampage in the press conference said that he got caught up with what happened in the 3rd round, and his corner later told him that he won the 1st 2 rounds and consequently the fight.

BJ Penn looked so pumped up and so great. Haha Axe you lose to me again, i'll think of an avatar later for you. How is BJ fighting Fitch when Fitch is fighting Elenberger though???

Falcao looked great, i knew that the buzzer sounded way to early, i dont like when they remove the clock in the last 10 seconds, is it supposed to add suspense or what? Dissapointed with the 3rd round though. The only dull moment of the whole show.

Mr. Wonderfull only been in MMA in 2 yrs, already on main card ofbig UFC show, undefeated, and makes up his own submission. He's going to be great and has a great personality too.

G-sot again an impresive performance, he's fighting Siver in Australia. Would have liked a better opponent really. Foster is the man, great exciting fighter, wont be a star but does make good fights. And Munoz-Simpson was a great scrap. There wrestling canceled each other out, and they let there striking do the damage.

Barbosa looked really great, though he wasnt that far away from being Gogaplated Laughing , Karo looked awfull, he's in even worse shape that before, and just looked like he didnt belong there. May have been an early stoppage, but he was going to be finished anyway i feel.

Great night of fights, and all the guys i wanted to win, won last night cheers
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Shit i completely forgot about our av bet! Fuck sake No
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Thought the Rampage-Machida one was a tough one to score - was expecting Machida to get the nod. It's tough cos the first two rounds were really tight with not much between them. Rampage probably got them cos he was in the centre moving forward. Then round 3 was conclusively Machida's - he rocked him and took him down and almost subbed him (kind of). The problem for me (which i guess is a rules issue rather than a beef) is scoring the two first rounds and the third 10-9. For me if the first two, given to rampage without any real dmaage to Machida, are 10-9, the third, in comparison, should be 10-8 Machida.
    Interesting to see what's next for each. Will Rampage get a title shot? Machida against winner of Vera-Silva? Or Bones-Bader?

BJ-Hughes was disappointing, in the sense that it didn't last long enough and doesn't really tell us too much about where each fighter is at. That being said, good win for BJ. I reckon he'll stay at WW at least for the next fight. Who is free? Koscheck-GSP loser would be fun and fits time-wise although BJ took no damage....

Phil Davis looks great again, and will no doubt get a step up in competition - Lil Nog or Forrest or someone like that?

Falcao looked good, should have got that sub looking at the vid closely. Harris was disappointing though, think he was too afraid of Falcaos striking to engage properly. Falcao-Condit? Falcao-Hardy?

Munoz won a good scrap, and again will move up the ladder.

Impressed with Foster, expected Brown to be better, however.

Didn't see the Lentz fight but happy as i picked him in the predictor. Scores seem very suspect though!

Karo - what happened? He looked terrible. May get one more chance but i doubt he'll become relevant again....

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Very good night of fights but I really thought Machida won the fight last night. I thought maybe Rampage won the 2nd, But I thought round 1 and round 3 were easily won by Machida. There is no question he won the third, so it comes down to the first round. It was close but Machida landed a lot more shots. Bullshit judging for me, even the round Rampage won, it was very close and the winner wasn't clear.

There should be a rematch IMO, but Dana White knows the money Rampage can make him so he won't risk him.

BJ looked insane yesterday, if he wants to continue at WW he should fight on the next card if possible! Shields would be a good opponent but it won't happen.

That Falcao fight was very strange. There was 10 on the clock and 3 second later the round is over. That kind of business can lose people fights. Anyway for 2 rounds Falcao looked like a beast. His striking was insanely quick, I also thought of Belfort and his grappling was good as well. Absolutely battered Harris. The third round was a fucking joke, and I honestly put the blame on Harris. Falcao had won the fight at that point, he was possibly gassed and just wanted to ride it out. Not fun to watch and disappointing he didn't look to finish but he'd already done the work. Harris was 2 rounds down. WTF was he thinking? Did he not know this, because it sure as hell looked like he couldn't give a fuck.

Mr Wonderful looked brilliant, the kid is a beast. Boetch kind of sucks but not bad to test the youngsters. We were talking about Bonnar, Krystoff, The Janitor as candidates for his next opponent on chat box.

Lauzon's conditioning was terrible yesterday, gassed in about a minute. I thought old big ears won the first round though. Good win for Soti, but his hands are a weakness. Someone suggested Sanchez yesterday as a next opponent and that would be a great fight. Siver isn't much os a step up, but it should be an exciting fight.

I thought Foster vs Brown was fight of the year Razz

Barbosa looks fucking sick! The most brutal leg kicks i've ever seen in MMA, and his all round striking looked beastly. He alongside Oliviera and Ben Henderson are the future of the LW division in the UFC. Lullo deserves a lot of credit for the heart he showed, took a complete ass kicking.

I heard Griffin lost again, 3rd fight this year I think. Amazing to think he was once considered a future LW champion.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Sherdogs micropoll;

Who won on your scorecard?

Quinton Jackson
    50%
    Lyoto Machida
    50%
    Total Votes : 4656

Really was SUCH a close fight.

== ==

BJ is fighting Jon Fitch according to Dana, guys.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't care to go into the round by round scoring system and the criteria...everyone knows its a pile of shit.

in my eyes Machida won the fight, basing it on the events that occured in the cage those 15 minutes.

i went to bed after the Munoz fight so when i got up i just skipped to the fights, cannot believe i missed Rampage coming out to PRIDE theme!! affraid

fighters using PRIDE theme now 2-0 in the UFC...

PRIDE > UFC
    end of discussion rabbit

Falcao!! cheers

what a strange style that guy has...for most of the fight he is completley passive, not even testing the water or anything...then all of a sudden he explodes like a throwback to a young Wanderlei!! im a big fan of his Smile
    he was robbed of a submission finish...the guy may have been fake tapping ala team quest, but just as he let go of the hold he tapped.

feel bad for Matt Hughes, even though i wasnt cheering for any of them in particular. this is a big win for BJ....but Matt really worked hard for it.
    Maybe he should have retired after choking out Almeida? i would have liked/i would like to see him go out on a win, because i think this embarrasment puts an end to all the talk of another title shot in his career.

Foster/Brown was decent fight, but there were much better on the card...nice job by stropadopolous but for some reason im trying to remember the finish and my mind has gone blank...kimura?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:40 pm

"in my eyes Machida won the fight, basing it on the events that occured in the cage those 15 minutes."

Totally agree
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:56 pm

efils_god wrote:"in my eyes Machida won the fight, basing it on the events that occured in the cage those 15 minutes."

Totally agree

I'd agree with that too, we all know the UFC judging system is floored but like it or not it is what it is and Rampage won the match.

Theres no question though, if that fight was in PRIDE Machida would have won.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Machida clearly won the fight! It's not even debatable. He won the first round easily. He landed more kicks, more punches and he controlled the clinch.

Second round was the same, Rampage got a takedown but Machida got up easily and again controlled the round.

Third round was all Machida.

There is no way Rampage won that fight. No way AT ALL. Rampage is gifted a decision because he plodded around the ring getting picked off whenever Machida wanted to hit him.

Dana is a dickhead. He threw such a tantrum after Shogun-Machida. This was a FAR more conclusive victory. Machida won all 3 rounds. Dana clearly doesn't like Machida and I hope that's the last time Machida fights for the UFC. The way he has been treated is a disgrace.

Rampage seemed back to himself after the fight, admitting he lost, offering a rematch. One chat with Uncle Fester and he was back to being a dickhead, claiming he won and making excuses about being ill.

Axe, he may have been gifted a decision, but he did not win anything.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 pm

great event i agree with everybody that said machida won and i really dont like machida and his style also great win for BJ delighted he came back after two disappointing defeats i used to hate BJ but he has grown on me in the last year or two
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:28 pm

anyone know how much is left on Machida contract??

i really want to see him fight Mousasi for some reason...preferably over 5 rounds.

it was suggested before but Hughes vs Hallman 3 anyone??
    good chance for hughes to go out on a high, somewhat evenging his 2 losses...now its an even better idea, than when Hallman entered the UFC again, because their standings are much closer.
    Hallman coming off wins over Saunders and Karo, after basically dominating that other guy until the last 5 seconds.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Yeah Hughes-Hallman and then Hughes can retire.

It's hilarious that people are trying to claim Rampage won the first 2 rounds because as he was plodding forward, he was "the aggressor" and because he was standing in the middle of the cage that demonstrates "octagon control". He was walking forward and punching air. In the entirety of the first two rounds he landed 3 actual punches. The other strikes he landed where punches to the leg and side of Machida when he had him pinned against the cage. Rampage literally did nothing in the fight.

Rogan and Dana have shown themselves to be complete dicks from this fight.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Quote of the Year from Dana White:

"You guys know me, I don't play favourites"

Who the fuck is he trying to kid??
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:21 pm

"BJ is fighting Jon Fitch according to Dana, guys."

Fair enough, looks like there going to screw Elenberger out of the big fight they promised him.

BJ - Fitch
    Hughes - Hallman is a great shout, they have big history together
    Harris - Sakara
    Falcao - Maia/Grove winner
    Phil Davis - Hamill/ Matyushenko
    Boetsch - Vera/T. Silva loser to get them back on track
    G-sot - Siver apperently
    Lauzon - One of the new WEC guys/ Barbosa
    Barbosa - Lauzon/ one of new WEC guys
    Foster - Elenberger
    Brown - Cut
    Munoz - Nate Marquardt
    Simpson - Miranda
    Rampage - Bones/Bader for next title shot, or him waiting for a title shot next year
    Machida - Forrest/Franklin winner, Rashad if he loses to Shogun.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Yeah Hughes-Hallman and then Hughes can retire.

It's hilarious that people are trying to claim Rampage won the first 2 rounds because as he was plodding forward, he was "the aggressor" and because he was standing in the middle of the cage that demonstrates "octagon control". He was walking forward and punching air. In the entirety of the first two rounds he landed 3 actual punches. The other strikes he landed where punches to the leg and side of Machida when he had him pinned against the cage. Rampage literally did nothing in the fight.

Rogan and Dana have shown themselves to be complete dicks from this fight.

Yeah i said that's probably why he 'won' those rounds, however i completely disagree with it.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I'd be a bit sad to see The Immortal cut. I know he's only 4-4 in the UFC and on a three fight losing streak so the cut is inevitable but he ALWAYS comes to bang.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Karo has been cut.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Why?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:57 pm

"I'll never put a fighter in harm's way," White said. "But Karo came in here tonight and proved he can't compete at this level anymore."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21487/ufc-123s-troubled-karo-parisyan-one-and-done-with-latest-loss.mma
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:09 pm

But yet he continues to schedule Chuck fights, Dana really does do/say some stupid things!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Atleast Tyson Griffin isnt getting cut
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:44 pm

And why not? The only reason i can think of is the UD Lentz was given was a gift, have you seen that fight yet?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:48 pm

No but Dana thinks he was was robbed by the judges, and said he is not cutting him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:08 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    efils_god wrote:"in my eyes Machida won the fight, basing it on the events that occured in the cage those 15 minutes."

Totally agree

I'd agree with that too, we all know the UFC judging system is floored but like it or not it is what it is and Rampage won the match.

Theres no question though, if that fight was in PRIDE Machida would have won.

Really? I reckon if this was in Pride Machida would have finsihed the 15 mins with half a dozen yellow and red cards Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:57 pm