THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
redmeanie77
pinsman
the_king
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
2brutal
The_Axe_Emperor
superman_punch
rudeboyben84
Sheldan
14 posters

UFC 131 Review

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 131 Review Empty UFC 131 Review

Post  Sheldan Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Decent night of fights to be fair, despite the early criticism about it being a weak card with no star power it turned out to feature some good fights, even if the "guaranteed stoppage" we were promised in the main event did not happen.

Anyway, JDS VS Carwin, bit defensive from JDS but you can't knock the guy when their is a title shot on the line, he utilised his jab perfectly at time, and dominated the fight pretty much from start to finish. The fact he was able to get some takedowns in the third round was also impressive, although at this point Carwin was clearly tired. Carwin showed good heart to keep coming forward though, the fact he was bouncing around on his toes at stages in the second and the third round says that he has worked really well on his cardio, and I think this fight as well as his last fight with Brock is a good learning curve in terms of what he needs to focus on. JDS VS Velasquez will be a pick em fight, interesting that the bookmakers have JDS as the early favourite at the moment, it all depends on how Cain will look coming off his long lay off.

Florian looked decent at 145, was still pushing the pace come the third round, and despite being rocked a couple of times by Nunes, still managed to grind out the decision win. I don't think he should get Aldo on the back of one win, i'd have liked him to face atleast one more top contender, maybe someone like Poirer but Florian will obviously get a shot before the end of the year. Nunes showed signs of being impressive to, his hands impressed me, A fight between him and Poirer would be a good fight actually. I can't see Florian offering anything to stop Aldo, although he did say he began his weight cut from 180+ for 145, so if he stays around the 165 mark when making his next weight cut, then who knows.

Munoz VS Maia was a good fight, it was almost as if the roles had been reversed with Maia showing good stand up in the first, and Munoz going for a D'arce choke in the second, which was extremely stupid, I think it was Axe who said on the chat box last night that that is up there with Bisping trying to take Henderson down. Despite getting the win, I wasn't that impressed with Munoz, as this fight was stylistically an easy fight for him, and he didn't look all that impressive. I was much more impressed with Maia, who showed some great improved stand up, and if he continues to work on that he shall be a very scary dude. Still though you can't knock Munoz for getting the win, interesting to see who they will give him next, as it's expected Stann will get Wanderlei if he beats Leben, Belfort maybe for Munoz? One more thing, to quote Dana White on his twitter last night when the 30-27 for Munoz got announced, "The judge that scored that 30- 27 should be BEAT WITH A STICK!!!!!!!!"

Einemo VS Herman was another great fight, Herman was pushing the pace in the first, but when Einemo got that takedown I thought it was it, but Herman did well to get back up, and it turned out to be a missed opportunity for Einemo. Herman was getting nailed in the second, and I think Einemo was drawn into trying to get the KO instead of playing to his strengths and trying for the submission, it was a good come from behind victory for Herman, those knees that he was landing on Eimeno were nasty. I had Einemo in the predictor, and he was looking like he would get the win until Payne said on the chat box "I see no way that Einemo loses this fight" and then 1 minute later he was laid out on the floor, cheers Payne!

Cerrone VS Rocha went as i'd expected it to, although Cerrone had several chances to finish the fight, it's amazing that despite being a former Muay Thai kickboxer, none of his 15 wins have come by knockout. The leg kicks he was nailing on Rocha were nasty, the fact Rocha had to sit down on the floor at the end of the fight shows that. Not much more I can say on this really, I can't see Cerrone doing much in the LW division, they'll probably make the fight with Danzig again that was orignally meant to happen on this card.

the Stout KO was brutal, landed flush on the chin and then Edwards smashing his head on the mat didn't help things, Dana said it was one of the best KO's in UFC history but I wouldn't go that far, Edwards was down for a while afterwards so I hope he's okay. Stout is one of the most underrated guys in the LW division, and packs one hell of a punch and has an iron chin. I'd like to see him face the winner of Pearson VS Barboza, that would be a good stand up fight.

Weidman continues to impress, Bongfeldt is a can lets be honest, but still Weidman managed to get the win. Despite getting hit a few times at the start of the fight, he got his composure together and managed to pull off the submission. Weidman is one of the biggest prospects out there at the moment, like somebody said on the chat box last night, he's riding the same sort of hype as Phil Davis, and that isn't a bad thing at all. When you have Matt Serra as your Jiu-Jitsu coach and Ray Longo as your striking coach you're only destined for good things. Not sure who they'll give him next, be good to see how he would compete with somebody with decent wrestling and a good submission game, so we can see Weidman have to utilise his stand up.

Just going to run through the rest of these prelims quickly, didn't see the Soszynzski fight so can't really comment, but from what I heard I didn't miss much. Ring provided us with some more dry humping, but he got the submission win so suppose I can't really knock him, I thought Head would offer more seeing how he beat Gerald Harris, he had Ring hurt in the first but didn't really do much after that. Poirer VS Young was a good fight, Young showed good potential, be interesting to see where he goes from here. Beltran VS Rosa was a good fight, very sloppy, but a good fight nontheless. Good to see Beltran get back to winning ways, he always seems to be in exciting fights. And finally, Omigawa put on a good performance to beat Darren Elkins, oh no wait, I forgot that the judges are fucking clueless and despite now having monitors infront of them, still seem to not have a fucking clue, and somehow Elkins got the decision, even a 30-27 to Elkins from one judge! Madness, good to see Dana say that he will give Omigawa his win bonus, that was up there with the Phan and Garcia decision.

All in all, a decent card, would have been better to see more stoppages on the main card, but thats just MMA for you. After us all thinking the JDS-Carwin fight would end in a stoppage, lets hope that the Overeem VS Werdum fight next week doesn't also go down this route!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 131 Review Empty Re: UFC 131 Review

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Cracking event some great toe to toe banging it out in a few fights!! Enjoyed that more than any UFC event in recent memory.

JDS is the man right now, I knew Carwin wasnt going to hang with him on the feet, I was really shocked at how hard Junior is to keep down though, I think Cain is going to have his hands full because Junior is a better Striker and is tougher IMO and I cant see Cain GnP'ing him out. Carwin at least had a better gas tank, I reckon they should match him up with Browne next.

Some shitty judging, I havnt seen it but Omigawa got fucked by the judges I head, every website had him winning 29-28, and Dana gave him his bonus... then we have Fightmetric saying Maia should have won and Munoz got a 30-27 (wonder if the was the same Judge who didnt give Omigawa a round) Kenny Florian also won every round on one judges scorecard despite getting Dropped and rocked to his boots....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:24 pm

“Something has to be done about the judging. It’s so bad. Not only does it affect people’s lives, it ruins everything for people that are watching. You watch it and you’re like ‘what? 30-27, what fight were you watching? Now we’ve got TV screens for them. What the (expletive)? You’ve got a TV screen, how did you judge that 30-27?”

“Then you’ve got the Omigawa fight, where this guy loses the fight and Joe Silva said he was pulling a (Kazushi) Sakuraba and wasn’t going to leave the Octagon. He was going to stay in there, Joe had to beg him to leave. We’re going to pay him his win money. I don’t care what the judge said, he won the fight. I say he won, overruled.”

superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm

The judging is ridiculous the 30-27 Munoz was sheer brilliance.

JDS's hips are so strong know one has been able to keep him down and I agree Cain is going to have his hands full and is gonna have to trade with him at some point. Great fight in the making there.

Florian doesn't deserve an immediate title shot IMO. he looked good in his first outing and his weight cut must have been gruelling.

The Stout KO was brilliant and he took a good shot behind the ear seconds before throwing his fight ending left.

I thoroughly enjoyed the eenie meanie miny mo Herman fight. I thought he had pee wee and couldn't see a way for Herman to win. Dunno what changed whether it was his gas tank or just one of them fight changing knees that changed the tide.

The Munoz Maia fight surprised me I thought it was gonna be a lay and pray grinded decision to Munoz but it was anything but and Maia looked great in the first. The third was hard to call but to give all 3 to Munoz was criminal.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:11 pm

'He has ring hurt in the first' .......... I believe thats know as ringsting actually mate, i get it after i've eaten a particularly spicy curry!

I'm on my phone so i'll have to summarise.

JDS looked great against Carwin. Carwin didn't actually look bad at all, he looked the fresher going into the second (bloodied face aside),his chin actually held up well and noone can question his heart after the 1st round. I was impressed by JDS don't get me wrong, but i was honestly more impressed with the improvements to his game that Carwin showed, simple fact is he JDS was too good for him.

Florian bested Nunes but it was far from a perfect performance. Rocked and dropped on a couple of occasions, he did well to take the fight to the floor. He's gonna find he'll have to do that in most fights at FW if he wants to succeed. Suprisingly Florian's cardio looked as good as ever and as it was a 40+lb cut and he's 35yo (older than Fedor!!), that's pretty remarkable! No way should he get a title shot off the back of this but honestly who is more deserving at FW?

I thought Maia was robbed personally. He beat Munoz up on the feet shockingly and aside from getting takendown a few times, there was no danger for him. He even had a crucifix at one point! IMO he clearly won rounds 1 and 3 and could evem have edged the 2nd. Bad decision but a great fight.

Jon Olav Einemo = Nikolai Valuev Laughing This fight was the best on the card and the finish was incredible. The 2nd round is probably one of my favourite rounds in MMA history! Einemo just clubbing PeeWee around the cage, PeeWee smiling all the time as if he knew the outcome, and just when you though Einemo was gonna do him in, PeeWee drops him and then never lets up. Great finish with the knees and for the record it wasn't an early finish IMO, Einemo was fucked.

Cerrone- Rocha, yawn. Never liked Donald and the way he just dismissed Rocha's attempt at a touch of gloves at the end just makes me flat out dislike the guy. Fair enough you came to fight but you gotta understand the other guy ain't gonna stand and trade if he has no way of winning that way! I'll echo what Sheldan said, Cerrone is going nowhere fast in the division.

Sam 'Hands of Stone and Chin of Rock' Stout is one of the most exciting fighters in MMA today. His chin is also up there with the Fedor's and Hendo's, he got cracked seconds before he landed the KO blow and didn't even flinch. Phenomenal finish and a great show of class when he seen that Edwards was out he left him be, take note Mir and Rampage.

Rosa- Beltran was a crazy fun fight, as Payne said, shades of Frye- Takiyama in places. Anyone else see the resemblance Rosa had with Ricco Rodriguez? Uncanny.

Not much to say on the other fights other than Omigawa got robbed again, and that Young got robbed too against Poirier, although that fight was a lot closer.

All in all one of the best cards of the year. Could someone tell me who got the awards?

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Ko stout
    Sub weidman
    Fight enimo v Herman

Jds looked good I'm calling Cain to win still

Carwins face was bad,

Florian was ok but not great the cut looked ok he still had plenty left

Munoz fight sud of been a draw 1st rd Damian 2nd Munoz 3rd a draw but they never score a drawn round do they

Herman looked done at one point but showed good power I think the ref sud of let it go a touch longer

Weidman is going to be a force you about 90 percent of us used our trump on him, great technique and strength to get the standing guillotine you don't get many of them to the pound, he took a good kick to the face early

Stout why did I back against him I love that guy, brutal ko I never knew I had that power

Not seen the rest yet

Got all 5 main card winners right no rounds or methods and a poor undercard I could be out first round not looking good for a repeAt of my cup miracle
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Florian was losing his feet. Then he threw two completely illegal elbows to the back of Nunes head which opened a cut that poured blood. Nunes was immediately slowed down after that.

Aldo will massacre Florian, no point in delaying it. Put Florian in with him now and just get it over with.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Florian got dropped in 2 of the 3 rounds, i know this isnt boxing...(and Kenny probably edged the fight on balance) but in boxing thats a 29-26 win for Nunes. not impressed by florian, although in fairness i never am.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:06 am

I don't quite understand why Florian keeps getting so many title shots and number 1 contender fights. Goldberg said last night "he's been at the top of the foodchain in the UFC for a long time" which made me realize how weak the 155 division has been in the UFC for a long time.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm

what a great night of fights, anyone watch the 3 prelim fights almost was ko, sub and fight of the night in all 3. carwin did well to recover from almost being stopped.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Good card I thought... Maia should have just scraped the desision in my opinion, he dominated the first, competed in the second and third.

I thought the same with the Florian elbow to the head, was suprised he wasnt pulled up on that one!

Now for the main event, I didnt see anything from ether fighter that would make me think oooooH i need to put money on them! Cain is the best at wrestling in the division he will get JDS down at some point and im pritty confident he will hold him there, and after the Brock fight hes seems to have got some power in those hands! Cain still dominants the Ufc HW division in my eyes!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Really exciting card, only let down is Cerrone fight and Kenflo, and i think we know the common denominator there. Stupid Greg Jackson and Zahabi have ruined GSP and are now spreading this disease more extensively to their other fighters.

JDS gave GSP an absolute lesson on how to throw the jab and leading left hook and an overhand right as follow up from the jab. Watching GSP throw 50 overhand rights into fresh air against Shields still has me wincing.

Carwin is tough as nails, i think he should fight Roy Nelson next and pick up an easy win to himself back on track. I hope we get to see him against some of SF heavy's aswell in near future.

JDS-Cain is for me the biggest fight of the year, i cant wait for it. Diaz-GSP is close 2nd.

Stout KO was so nasty, last 2 UFC cards had a couple of very brutal KO's. I still watch Browne-Struve fight on DVR. haha

I thought Maia sneaked the 3rd round with the close sub he had a sortof a neck crank in crucifix position. Its been ages since we saw a Maia highlight sub. I heard he is being matched up with Santiago next. Good fight

Herman-Einamo was insane, not pretty at all. But damn who doesnt enjoy a fight like that?? Also Rogan was hilarious during Beltran fight..... "Rock em sock em robots"...... haha!!!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

at the start of the jds-carwin fight i wasnt bothered who won but after the first round i found myself willing carwin on. i hope this isnt the last of him in ufc.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Carwin did no worse against JDS than Werdum did, Credit to the man for hanging in, he is still top 10 and id still back him to beat Lesnar in a rematch.

I doubt UFC will let him go, he took a beating like a warrior, Nelson is on a 2 fight loosing spree against worse opposition (Mir being lower ranked than Brock) and Carwin at least has a ranked win in Mir, who he totally demolished....

If he is getting a step down I reckon Nelson, Browne, Kongo vs Barry winner all might be good Ideas, maby Pee Wee would work? How you think for Carwin next?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 pm

i dunno maybe nelson see if a static meathead might then tumble.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 am

I think Carwin could have a lot of entertaining fights and they definitely won't let him go. Personally I'd prefer to see him fight Schaub or Nog. Think him against either of those is better than the actual Schaub Nog fight itself.

Apart from these 2 I think all the below would be co main event match ups:
    Browne
    Kongo
    Mitrione
    Del Rosario
    Brett Rogers
    Struve
    Mir (slimmer Carwin / bigger Mir, role reversal of the first fight)
    Lesnar would always sell, maybe a win for Shane next and he could welcome Brock back next year
    Mike Russow
    Rothwell

They all seem PPV worthy fights. For some reason I'd like to see him fight Cheick (pecs like bin lids) Kongo for his comeback then climb the rankings from there.

One thing is for sure though, he needs to win his next fight so maybe we'l see an Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson gameplan against Dan Hardy approach. who knows!!!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:56 am

I think Schuab is Carwins training buddy if i'm not mistaken so i'd doubt they'd do that fight....
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am

How about 'Pee Wee' Herman? He did KO Shanes' original opponent after all.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I wouldnt mind seeing Carwin against Nelson or Browne next..

Anyone else have the feeling after last weekend, that Brock may retire in the next few months (probably use Illness as a smoke screen)

He got badly shown up by Carwin and Cain with striking, after watching what JDS did to Carwin, and with the chance of Overeem coming over to the UFC, he should look at doing something else IMO.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:35 pm

For me the card was ruined by poor judging and yet another underwhelming Main Event that's 2 running It was pretty obvious after the 1st strike Carwin threw It was going to be a one sided beating the lay off and deflation of Carwin's physique has ended his career as a threat.

Credit to JDS he looked good but he shown poor cardio again I feel a relentless cardio machine like Velasquez will make him wilt under pressure.

The rest of the Main Card was good as sloppy as JOE vs PeeWee was It was fantastic to watch and The Maia vs Munoz fight was great too but ruined by shit judging like the Omigawa fight.
    This was nearly as bad the gift he got from Hioki in Sengoku how the fuck could you score the fight 29-28 Delkins never mind 30-27.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the card but the judging and one sided Main Event left a sour taste in my mouth.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:43 pm

i think karma overreacted to be honest, the win over Hioki was a poor decision but saturdays was much worse.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:10 pm

I though that Maia won his fight two rounds to one. It was obvious that Maia won the first round, so when they were stood there for the decision and it said one judge had it 30 - 27, anyone else straight away think, right Maia's got the win.

I almost spat my beer out when they announced Monoz to be the winner, I think it was reasonably close, but can anyone else think of a reason why Munoz would be given the first? I havent watched it since Saturday night, and I know these things can be different when replayed and not high !!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Maia won that fight for me. First round clearly and I thought he won the third.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Was v close how one judge give Munoz the 1st is shocking why they refuse to score a round a draw is beyond me
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 pm

The most prominant conclusion to be drawn from almost any major MMA card these days is that the judging is an atrocious embarrassment to the sport, and if everyone involved with the athletic commissions is not actively trying to sort it out at all times until it is sorted they are not doing their job.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:25 am