THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
payneNglory1
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
threeofclubs
Sheldan
9 posters

UFC 133 Review

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 133 Review Empty UFC 133 Review

Post  Sheldan Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:35 am

So Evans halted the Tito Ortiz hype train with a very impressive performance, most of us were assuming he would provide us with a 3 round humping session, but he showed that his training with Tyrone Spong was helping, and that knee to Tito's body was pin point accuracy from Rashad. Not taking anything away from Ortiz of course, he took the fight on short notice and put up a decent effort against Rashad, even catching Evans in a guillotine that looked close to ending it. So unless Rampage has something to say about it, we'll be seeing Jones VS Evans in the new year, can't wait for that one.

Good to see Belfort get back to winning ways, no doubt that this guy has power, on another night I think he could beat Anderson. Few nasty shots to the back of Akiyama's head at the end of the fight, but luckily Akiyama was fine. I don't know why UFC didn't wait to see the outcome of this fight before deciding what to do with Munoz, I think Belfort VS Munoz makes much more sense than Munoz VS Leben in terms of the title picture, but that is just UFC matchmaking for you. I think Akiyama needs to drop down to welterweight, he's too small at middleweight, and it doesn't help that he hardly uses his Judo, atleast he looked sexy though.

Somebody who didn't look sexy was Dennis Hallman, I said before the fight started that even though I picked a Ebersole UD in the predictor, i'd happily take a Hallman submission in the first round just so this fight could end and I didn't have to look at Hallman, while it did end in the first round, I didn't expect it to end in the fashion that it did! Great stoppage victory from Ebersole, I love how UFC fed him to a fighter that they believed would beat him because of his past experiences with submission experts and I love how Ebersole just blew right through him. UFC didn't want Ebersole in the company in the first place, so seeing how he keeps beating the guys who are meant to beat him, then respect to Ebersole.

I picked Phillipou to beat Rivera, and it was a close fight, but I think the judges got it right. Joe Rogan was going crazy when Phillipou couldn't get the submission, was rather funny. I think we might see a rematch between these two, nowhere else really for any of them to go, unless we do finally see Rivera VS Sakara.

Rory MacDonald goes from strength to strength, putting away a very game fighter like Pyle shows what talent this kid has, a few years down the line he could very well be on top of the welterweight division. I expect him to face a step up in competition in his next fight, maybe someone like Kampmann would be a good step up for MacDonald.

Another great prospect is Alexander Gustafsson, he's another guy who in a few years could be on top of the light heavyweight division, well maybe if Jon Jones wasn't around! Even still, the fact that Rampage couldn't put Hamill away, and Gustafsson did with some considerable ease shows what talent this kid has. I assume they'll put him in with Matyushenko like it was originally planned, but watch this space for Gustafsson, he could very well be facing the top light heavyweights in a few fights time.

Mendes get the UD like we all expected, no doubt that he deserves the next title shot after Aldo VS Florian. I think Yahya exposed a few holes in the game of Mendes tonight, but with his wrestling base there is no doubt that he can cause any of the featherweights problems, especially Jose Aldo, who we haven't seen face any top level wrestlers. Whether or not Mendes can be the one to beat Aldo still remains to be seen.

Nothing special on the undercard, Hendricks won a close split decision victory over Pierce in what was a decent fight, Mike Brown showed that he can still hang in there with the younger guys, with an impressive decision victory over Nam Phan, Ivan Menjivar won a close decision over Nick Pace in a decent fight, and Rafael Natal beat Paul Bradley by decision as well.

All in all, it was a decent card, and most importantly, the main card featured 4 stoppages, despite many of us thinking it would be full of decisions. Glad that UFC is back, now just a week to wait until Hardy VS Lytle next weekend!
    threeofclubs
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

UFC 133 Review Empty Re: UFC 133 Review

Post  threeofclubs Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Good report

Belfort v Bisping next

Or is that too cruel?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Pretty good card overall I enjoyed not as good as 132 but still pretty entertaining.

MacDonald & Gustaffson impressed I was a little surprised with the Gustaffson fight not sure what has happened to Hamill but he seems to regressed dramatically. MacDonald looked really good I wasn't surprised he beat and dominated Pyle I've never rated him TBH the most logical fight next I think would be Ebersole who certainly will be good gauge at where MacDonald is at.

I don't know why I just don't care for Mendes he isn't a boring fighter or anything but I just don't care for him at all he did what was expected and a bit a very one dimensional fighter.

Belfort did what we all expected (personally I was hoping this wasn't going to happen) and blew through Sexyama Belfort is easily one the best rounded fighters at 185 but he is a notorious choker when It comes to big fights and I don't see that ever changing nice to want to a Title shot and all but I hope he wasn't being serious.

Expected Evans to get the win and It was nice to see Evans get a finish, Rashad had the look of someone who seems extremely motivated and had something to prove last night.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:35 pm

nice picks on the brown constanios and natal, fights sheldan your advantage heading into lytle hardy,

rashad looked good

vitor what can you say awsome, bit back of headish the last 2

ebersole i realy like he did a great job of defending the rear baked choke and his gnp was awsome

i was going to trump rory i was that confident in him he is a talent

rivera sud be cut he is shit

not seen gustafsson but i like him he is one for the future

mendes next up for the title he might get it as well

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Pretty good card

Rashad looked good,definitely impressed me last night and i'm now really looking forward to seeing the Bones - rashad fight,if rampage doesn't spoil it that is.

Props to Tito though,He came to fight and played his part well,in giving us a good fight.
    I've kind of had a mini revitalization with Tito and I'm quite looking forward to seeing him action again,say what you want about the guy,he's obviously slowed and is outside the ranks of the top LHW's anymore,but Tito is still game and he can still be a serious threat to anyone if the fight hits the deck.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Looking at Tito after his revival I think if he were to fight hamil again I think he'd smash him. That's the most embarrassing out of his recent losses in my opinion. There's also the rubber match with Griffon. Even if Griffon beats Shogun he's not in line for a shot so maybe Tito Forrest 3 will happen. I'd like to see Tito fight again thats for sure.

Belfort looked good but iv never been as confident in a trump card as I was in that fight. I could not see any way sexyama was ever making it out the first. Bisping tweeted last night that he was cheering on sexyama due to him and belforts words after the Rivera fight. No way mikey b wants any of the phenom after seeing that. Illegal blow to the back of the head bigtime that last strike tho. I was hoping the judges didn't see it and reverse the decision like jones hamil.

Ebersole looked good and he's a very entertaining fighter, he looked over the moon in getting that $70,000 bonus check for dispatching budgie smugglers early. Dana was more than happy about thatand cut hallman from what I understand.

Rashad v Jones should be good I was impressed with him after such a long lay off.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 pm

2brutal wrote:nice picks on the brown constanios and natal, fights sheldan your advantage heading into lytle hardy.

I took a gamble picking Phillipou but I thought he would get it done and I got it right Very Happy .. I originally picked Gustafsson over Hamill but then I stupidly changed it at the last minute, I would have got all 11 fights correct if I stuck with Gustafsson!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Sounds like Hamill is retiring after this loss.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2011/08/07/the-morning-line-88/
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 pm

good i think he needs to revaluate at the least, when he ko,d munoz i thought maybe he can do a bit but , hes looked poor in his last 2
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 pm

2brutal wrote:good i think he needs to revaluate at the least, when he ko,d munoz i thought maybe he can do a bit but , hes looked poor in his last 2

Agree mate, I called him a slightly worse Rampage with Kicks after the Munoz win... turns out he was much worse! Laughing

Evans was so so impressive against Tito, The way he survived that Choke and the slam as well as good standup (even though he did get hit) and mostly the KO! How that knee to the Body KO wasnt better than Belforts Glancing blows im shocked.

On Belfort I think he is the dogs balls, his hands are great, they are so quick, people forget Akiyama was backing Leben up on the feet and winning the figh till the sub, Bisping made him look bad but Belfort got the job done much more decisivley. Saying that he is hot and cold. You look at his fights with Overeem, Saku and Silva he shows he really insnt a dependable fighter but he is just about the best at what he does and thats throwing hands on the front foot

How I think he stacks up with the devision,

Sonnen rapes him on the ground,

Okami im split on who wins, ive never been a big Okami fan and bar beating Nate he didnt look good, Belfort is hot and cold so who knows, but I swaying towards Okami putting him up against the cage and winning with Wrestling in a shite fight! Laughing

Munoz isnt big enough to man handle him on the ground for 15mins
    but it wouldnt totally shock me to see it

Leben would loose throwing fists

Stann would be a close call but Id back Belfort because of experience and handspeed

Bisping would get KOd very very badly (see Hendo fight!)

Maia would get sparked before he could take the fight down, I think he would be very physically overmatched.
    ------------------------

Who does everyone see him getting next? Surely not a shot, a win over Akiyama doesnt earn you a shot as he is coming off losses... Surely Sonnen vs Stann is for a title shot so I reckon Leben vs Monoz winner is the most realistic?
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 am

leben v munoz next i rekon, unless they wont to get him in again before end of year in that case maybe wandy, not sure dana would risk another brutal ko for wandy
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Vitor looked great? The finish was great but he looked a bit nervous and nearly got himself KOd with a front kick again. That's clearly something he needs to work on, awareness. Had Akiyama's legs been two inches longer, Vitor would have been asleep. Fair play to Vitor for the win, I imagine he'll get the loser of Anderson vs Okami. He really should have been disqualified though. He landed 5 shots that were clearly to the back of the head, the first came after he dropped him the first time, a left hook to the back of the head, then there was 3 more that ended the fight and it was those that put Akiyama to sleep, he was still fighting back until the first one(after he hit the ground the second time) landed him face down, then there was three more. The first two might have been hard for the ref to see, but the last three were clear as anything.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Vitor looked great? The finish was great but he looked a bit nervous and nearly got himself KOd with a front kick again. That's clearly something he needs to work on, awareness. Had Akiyama's legs been two inches longer, Vitor would have been asleep. Fair play to Vitor for the win, I imagine he'll get the loser of Anderson vs Okami. He really should have been disqualified though. He landed 5 shots that were clearly to the back of the head, the first came after he dropped him the first time, a left hook to the back of the head, then there was 3 more that ended the fight and it was those that put Akiyama to sleep, he was still fighting back until the first one(after he hit the ground the second time) landed him face down, then there was three more. The first two might have been hard for the ref to see, but the last three were clear as anything.

i agree those back of the head shots were out of line, but to say he "nearly got himself KOd with a front kick again." is HUGE reach.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:48 pm

it missed by inches and he never even saw it coming. Had it landed he was out cold. that kick had more force than Anderson's.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am