THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
sunthunder
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
chrishd
ChelseaQuinsfan
hendos_right_hook
superman_punch
Anfields5thKing
wilksdaman
Mryzyz
manschesthair_utd
2brutal
19 posters

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet Empty Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 3:24 pm

What a card my favourite ufc card this year,

Makdessi awesome spinning back fist
    Menjivar what an elbow valencies nose move about an inch nasty
    Awsome triangle from the athlete Jason macdonald
    Garza took some big kicks from jaboin then landed an eaqualy impressive submission
    Ellenberger looked very good made up for a un impressive last outing, an even more impressive win when you think he only had 18 days notice, Jensen looked poor though chipper and ellenberger are leagues apart,
    Rory macdonald looked awesome he was like Kurt angle in the last round with them belly to back suplex
    When I heard 30 27 I felt a bid bad for boceck but when I thought about it I agree, boceck had good spells in all 3 rounds but I preferred the striking of Henderson, good scrap though
    Matyushenko fight I think was a fair enough stoppage brilz legs went stiff for a second I believe
    Machida awesome flying front kick never looked in doubt against Randy
    Homincks head was shocking something out of a horror movie great great fight though bet that got fotn no doubts about it
    Gsp fight was awful, wether is eye bothered him as bad as he said I don't no but he won't be winning any fans with that performance,
    Bad night for team Cesar Gracie Roberts lost in a grappling contest and Diaz got well and truly beaten and as for shields what a joke not 1 attempt to get the fight to the ground, when he said on primetime that he wasn't there just to go the decision, didn't look like that too me, anyway let the debate begin cracker of a card stinker of a last fight Smile
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet Empty Re: Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Just watched it again sheields did make a couple of half arse attempts for the takedown weird game plan still
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet Empty Re: Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 3:41 pm

The bonus went to machida garza and ado hominick
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun May 01, 2011 3:54 pm

main event ruined the card. especially caus my sky + didnt record the last 2 rounds.

apart from that it was awesome Smile

highlight of the night went to Machida finally putting the old man out of his misery and off my tv.
    thanks lyoto Very Happy
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Steven sea gal claiming the front kick again lol!
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun May 01, 2011 4:34 pm

To be fair, Machida did thank Seagal in his post fight for teaching him the kick.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Yeah so did Anderson fair play to seagal, what did you make of gsp mryzyz
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Mmamania has an interview with shields he says he should of gone for the takedowns but after gsp stuffed the first couple he just forgot to do it, he says was a mistake,
    He reckons he won 2 rounds I think he won the last I think he did well in the 4th but you can't give him that when he got kicked in the head and dropped, anyway let down of a fight, amazing card tho
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Not even aldos mum gave him the last round, what a joke
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun May 01, 2011 5:01 pm

The 50-43 for Aldo was a mistake. It was supposed to be 48-46. It was just misread or something.

Joe Rogans commentary on the Aldo-Homnick fight was embarrassing. Crying 'Hes outboxing Aldo' when Aldo had slipped literally every single punch Homnick threw for a minute previous was baffling. Stick to pointing out 10th planet techniques Joe. Boxing isn't your area.

Any word on GSPs' eye issue? That seemed pretty serious.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Sun May 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Awesome night of fights, except for the main event. GSPs striking didnt look as dynamic as it has done in the past. He kept throwing that huge, telegraphed looping right over and over again. Shields had nothing to offer whatsoever. Was bound to happen with the amount of build up they were giving it.
    The rest of night, however, was awesome. That front crane kick by Lyoto was incredible. I was half asleep when I saw it happen and damn near shit myself. Feel bad for Randy but at least he went out in style!
    Hominick - Aldo was a war. Shame it didnt finish in that last round, was really gunning for Hominick. That hematoma on his head was hideous. @
    Mutyeshenko has some heavy hands. Brills was out cold but just came back round super quick. Awesome stoppage.
    Some awesome finishes on the undercard too!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Couple of things on the 3 big fights

Machida vs Couture was almost embarrassing. Randy couldn't do anything against him. Landed one punch and other than that plodded around like an old man. Couldn't even clinch with him. Amazing finish by Machida. Hopefully he gets Rampage next so he can beat him again. Finish him this time.

Aldo vs Hominick was a good fight but let's not pretend it was competitive. It was an ass-kicking. 3 of the rounds should have been 10-8 to Aldo(1st,3rd&4th) and he won the 2nd as well despite taking the round off to catch his breath. Goldberg and Rogan slurped over Hominick's boxing but he missed with the vast majority of his shots while Aldo easily outstruck him. 49-43 would have been a true representation of what actually happened. And that was a gassed Aldo who had a bad weight cut.

GSP vs Shields was one of the worst title fights i've ever seen but we really should have expected it. Shields is always boring and GSP is a heartless coward who doesn't come to fight. It tells everything when you listen back and can hear the boos from his crowd. Time to bring Nick Diaz in, or get Sonnen to cut to 170. They'll make GSP fight. Shields let himself down. He didn't pressure GSP and never used his clinch to set up the takedown. GSP was terrified to go to the ground with him. No way was that a 50-45 fight though. Shields did enough in the first and fifth to at least get 10-10 rounds.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun May 01, 2011 8:03 pm

GSP doesnt seem to fight guys these days, he just shuts them down....which makes everyone look bad. Neutral

I agree the commentary during Aldo/Hominick was retarded.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Goldberg just keeps getting progressively worse. Last night he was a complete joke. The guy has no idea what he's talking about. It's time for the UFC to get rid of him. Having him commentating makes the whole sport look bad because he's so clueless. How does he still make so many mistakes after this long. The UFC need to reach out to The Voice and get him involved. The Voice would improve Rogan as well. I'd also add a 3rd person to the mix. A fighter or ex-fighter. Someone like Miletech. Or if they want to keep it in the family, Randy Couture or Bonnar. Although Sonnen would be the best choice because the stuff he would come out with would be worth watching for just itself.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Sun May 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Sonnen wud be a great choice anfield. Your right tho they'd keep it in the family and bring in randy if anyone. Sadly though I don't think he's charismatic enough like Sonnen would. Love randy thoughdont get me wrong.

Thoroughly enjoyed the event apart from the sky plus cutting off which was probably a blessing in disguise cos the GSP fight sucked. I see him nick Diaz next and another UD win for GSP purely after 5 rounds of nothing but wrestling. Nick would certainly shake up the division though.

Machida was Daniel larusso in there against randy, awesome KO. segal is getting plenty of recognition of late. Randy looked slow and well out of his depth, a bit like James Toney did against randy.

I was getting annoyed with the amount of blink and you'l miss it calls from rogan prior to the Aldo fight so was happy when it went decision. Hominick did better than I expected and I thought the finish could have been there for him in the 5th. I thought Aldo tired quickly but he didn't really blame the weight cut like rogan insinuated post fight.

Makdessi spinning back fist was great and knocked Watson stone cold. Rory macdonald looks a legit contender too.

Gotta love Ellenberger.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun May 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Now that Zuffa own Strikeforce, and I gradually moving into a monopoly over MMA, it wouldn't suprise me if we see a team like that in the future.

The Voice in UFC would be incredible
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 pm

I don't know if the voice would necessarily improve Rogan but that would be a fun commentary team because there both hilarious guys. I'd love to have Mezger come in and commentate, he's one of the more knowledgeable commentators out there today and probably the best colour commentator. Very unlikely that it would happen though.

Can you imagine a commentating dream team consisting of Gus Johnson, Goldie and Goldberg. Ortiz can do interviews.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun May 01, 2011 9:34 pm

I have to say I really enjoyed that card, even though the main event was a disappointment. GSP just looks so scared to attack and finish things off at times, and i'm not sure what the reason is. I'm not sure Jackson and his game plans really help when it comes to finishing a fight. He had Shields in trouble a couple of times, including after the high kick but he just didn't want to commit. Disappointing but still a fairly simple win for him. Shields caused no problems, he was outclassed in the striking and GSP took him down twice (out of 3 attempts) while SHields never even got close. Shields really needed to go after GSP like Sonnen went after Silva, because he caused no problems and was beaten easily. I though GSP won the first 4 rounds and the last round was a draw. 1st was clearly GSP, he landed more strikes, rocked Shields and hurt him with a shot to the liver.

The Hommnick vs Aldo fight was great. Aldo is a monster but there should be some question marks over his performance IMO. He won the first 4 rounds easily 10-9 but he gassed miserably. I'm not sure what happened with his cut but he got tired very quickly and Homnick battered him in the last round. I scored the fight 48-46 Aldo. Aldo looked very good early, his kicks are intense and his take downs were incredibly quick. His Gnp was sick as well. I was shocked they allowed Homnick to continue after the 4th, I thought he was about to die with that thing coming out of his head. But credit to him for sticking at it. This fight showed Aldo has a lot to do before he makes the switch to LW, where there are several top quality and well conditioned wrestlers. Not sure how he would have done against Melendez yesterday.

What can you say about Machida vs Randy. Sick KO and a sad way for Randy to go out, but it's done. Machida will get Griffin if he beats Shogun I reckon or he'll get a title shot if Davis beats Evans.

The Janitor still looks good at 40, nice KO.

Bendo vs Boeck was a very fun fight. Good win for Henderson after the loss to Pettis. He should fight Jim Miller next with the winner getting a title fight after Pettis, unless he losses to GUida.

Some sick fights on the under card, Ellenberger continues to impress. I think he's ready for another big fight. Pierson was a huge drop in quality compared to Fitch.

Very good event though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I don't know if the voice would necessarily improve Rogan but that would be a fun commentary team because there both hilarious guys. I'd love to have Mezger come in and commentate, he's one of the more knowledgeable commentators out there today and probably the best colour commentator. Very unlikely that it would happen though.

Can you imagine a commentating dream team consisting of Gus Johnson, Goldie and Goldberg. Ortiz can do interviews.

I just think that at times Rogan falls into being stupid with Goldie.

I would be horrified to watch that commentary team!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I have to say I really enjoyed that card, even though the main event was a disappointment. GSP just looks so scared to attack and finish things off at times, and i'm not sure what the reason is. I'm not sure Jackson and his game plans really help when it comes to finishing a fight. He had Shields in trouble a couple of times, including after the high kick but he just didn't want to commit. Disappointing but still a fairly simple win for him. Shields caused no problems, he was outclassed in the striking and GSP took him down twice (out of 3 attempts) while SHields never even got close. Shields really needed to go after GSP like Sonnen went after Silva, because he caused no problems and was beaten easily. I though GSP won the first 4 rounds and the last round was a draw. 1st was clearly GSP, he landed more strikes, rocked Shields and hurt him with a shot to the liver.

The Hommnick vs Aldo fight was great. Aldo is a monster but there should be some question marks over his performance IMO. He won the first 4 rounds easily 10-9 but he gassed miserably. I'm not sure what happened with his cut but he got tired very quickly and Homnick battered him in the last round. I scored the fight 48-46 Aldo. Aldo looked very good early, his kicks are intense and his take downs were incredibly quick. His Gnp was sick as well. I was shocked they allowed Homnick to continue after the 4th, I thought he was about to die with that thing coming out of his head. But credit to him for sticking at it. This fight showed Aldo has a lot to do before he makes the switch to LW, where there are several top quality and well conditioned wrestlers. Not sure how he would have done against Melendez yesterday.

What can you say about Machida vs Randy. Sick KO and a sad way for Randy to go out, but it's done. Machida will get Griffin if he beats Shogun I reckon or he'll get a title shot if Davis beats Evans.

Bendo vs Boeck was a very fun fight. Good win for Henderson after the loss to Pettis. He should fight Jim Miller next with the winner getting a title fight after Pettis, unless he losses to GUida.

Some sick fights on the under card, Ellenberger continues to impress. I think he's ready for another big fight. Pierson was a huge drop in quality compared to Fitch.

Very good event though.

GSP did not rock Shields once in the entire fight other than the headkick. He caught him with a left hand when he was throwing a kick and knocked him off balance, and landed one overhand right that Shields shook off. First round was completely even.

you gave the first 4 rounds to Aldo 10-9 but somehow scored the fight 48-46?? Are you trying to say that the last round was a 10-8 but the 1st, 3rd and 4th weren't???
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I don't know if the voice would necessarily improve Rogan but that would be a fun commentary team because there both hilarious guys. I'd love to have Mezger come in and commentate, he's one of the more knowledgeable commentators out there today and probably the best colour commentator. Very unlikely that it would happen though.

I just think that at times Rogan falls into being stupid with Goldie.

I would be horrified to watch that commentary team!

Rogan says some stupid things from time to time, and Goldberg never challenges it. I'm not so sure The Voice would either, I think if anyone would improve Rogan, it would be someone like Mezger, or as you suggested Militech.

That commentary team would be the worst thing ever.
    chrishd
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  chrishd Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 pm

If they got rid of Goldberg who would then be the company whore - the one naming the sponsors etc time and time again?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun May 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I have to say I really enjoyed that card, even though the main event was a disappointment. GSP just looks so scared to attack and finish things off at times, and i'm not sure what the reason is. I'm not sure Jackson and his game plans really help when it comes to finishing a fight. He had Shields in trouble a couple of times, including after the high kick but he just didn't want to commit. Disappointing but still a fairly simple win for him. Shields caused no problems, he was outclassed in the striking and GSP took him down twice (out of 3 attempts) while SHields never even got close. Shields really needed to go after GSP like Sonnen went after Silva, because he caused no problems and was beaten easily. I though GSP won the first 4 rounds and the last round was a draw. 1st was clearly GSP, he landed more strikes, rocked Shields and hurt him with a shot to the liver.

Very good event though.

GSP did not rock Shields once in the entire fight other than the headkick. He caught him with a left hand when he was throwing a kick and knocked him off balance, and landed one overhand right that Shields shook off. First round was completely even.

you gave the first 4 rounds to Aldo 10-9 but somehow scored the fight 48-46?? Are you trying to say that the last round was a 10-8 but the 1st, 3rd and 4th weren't???

There was one point in the fight (i think 2nd or 3rd round) where Shields was visibly hurt and he backed away quickly. The first round GSP caught SHields and he looked rocked, although it might have been a slip. GSP still caught him with that liver shot though which is far more than Shields did. He was also more aggresive during the round and landed a lot more strikes. 10-9 GSP IMO.

1st definitely wasn't 10-9. 3rd and 4th you can make cases for but I don't think either were more of a clear 10-8 than the last round. Aldo landed about 3 shots in that last round. The third round was quite close till Aldo dropped Homnick. Now obviously he wasn't out boxing Aldo like that Neanderthal Goldberg said, but he landed some good shots. I don't think being dropped means a 10-8 round. Same goes for the 4th but he was dropped a lot quicker, and then he had that thing on his head so that was possibly a 10-8. I have to watch it again to be sure, but it wasn't more clear than Homnicks IMO.

Anyone else think Shawn Tompkins is a terrible coach?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun May 01, 2011 10:07 pm

My take on the nigghht was,it was brilliant card,10 out of the 12 fights were really good,only ones that didn't impress me were the Patrick - ninja fight and the GSP - Shields fight.

My boy Randy got his arse handed to him,but it was a great performance from Machida with an absolutely devastating finish.
    Thanks for the memories Randy,it's been great following your amazing career,you've left me with some MMA memories that will stick with me for life.

The GSP fight was boring,but I don't for the life see how some judges actually thought Shields won any rds.50-45 GSP for me,but wouldn't put up much of an argument if they gave a rd or maybe 2 as tied rds.

Aldo was dominant in 4 of the 5 rds,but personally i didn't think Aldo did enough or came close enough to finishing any of them to be awarded 10-8's.
    I scored the fight 49-46 Aldo.
    great show of heart from Hominick,really impressed me with the way he came out in that last rd and so glad his performance won him that nice fat bonus check.I think he deserves some credit from this showing,he was overall out matched but he put up more of a challenge to Aldo than MTB,Faber or Manny have in Aldo's last 3 defenses.

I missed the Janitor KO in live play,I blinked.
    Lovely KO and a good stoppage from the ref,he was out.

The Bocek - Benson fight was a cracking fight.
    Benson was just the faster,more agile and more aggressive fighter,bocek played his part in making this a really good fight,with some nice takedowns and a couple of half descent sub attempts,but Benson just carried on from his WEC days by looking nearly impossible to sub.Overall Benson just has a broader set of tools to work,more energy and explosive power and was just that little bit to much for him.
    I scored it 30-27 Benson

Really impressed with Rory McDonald again,he quite easily beat a guy who I thought would give him alot more troubles.
    He fought the 1st rd like a seasoned pro,scoring points,stuffing takedown attempts and taking nearly zero damage,the second rd was abit closer but Rory still did enough to win the rd with some good takedowns,nice clean punches in the clinch and a couple of lovely knees.
    That last rd was brilliant,Rory really stepped up a gear in this rd and started dominating diaz,the 1st two rds were controlled aggression from Rory,this rd was just a case of rory letting it go and dominating Diaz.
    Rory just ragdolled Diaz,suplexing him and slaming him to the mat several times and landing punches on him at will,great performance,can't wait to see him in action again.

The Ellenberger - Pierson fight was the only fight on the card that I thought was a real mismatch before it started.
    ellenberger is a guy that should be fighting guys who are at a higher level than Pierson(but to be fair he was a last minute replacement)
    Anyway Ellenberger did a great job of getting rid of what was in front of him in fantastic fashion,he landed a huge monster counter left hook that knocked Pierson silly,he landed another big shot while pierson was dropping to the canvas and finished with two more shots while Pierson was out on the deck.
    It was a brutal finish,but pierson was OK came around soon enough.

apart from the last pre lim fight,this card started like a house on fire,absolutely great fights to start a card,If these had been the fights on a smaller Orgs main cards,we'd be saying what a great event it was,so happy we got to see them all on face book.

Not much to say about the Ninja - Patrick fight,Patrick did a good enough job to win the fight,easily winning the stand up and keeping out of to much trouble when the fight hit the deck,but i thought Ninja looked awful,he seemed to be gassed after the first rd and was throwing some of the weakest,sloppiest punches I've seen in a UFC match up,he might have a good ground game but he has a lot of work to do on his stand up and cardio.

Menjivar landed an absolute deadly short elbow to finish Velencia,it was a perfect shot that smashed up charlies nose and made him instantly turtle up,beautiful finish.

Mcdonald made short work of Jensen,he started off by escaping Jensen's guillotine attempt,moved to his back and then used some slick BBJ to scramble to a triangle position,once he had it nearly locked up,Jensen tried to pick him up and slam him off,but all that did was help McDonald locked it up even tighter,where Jensen had no choice but to tap.

I was a little disappointed with Makdessi's performance to be honest.After the Audinwood fight,I was expecting abit more from him.I think to be honest watson was just about giving as good as he got in the stand up battle,Makdessi did get better as the fight went on,Watson actually landed a nice head kick during the second rd but makdessi handled it really well and went straight back on the offensive.It was a pretty close fight after the first two rds,but then in the third makdessi came out with abit of magic to finish the fight that made me instantly forget about the 1st two rds.
    It looked like he was loading up another spinning kick,but he dropped his leg down while rotating and changed to a spinning back fist that couldn't of landed any cleaner,from the front camera angle it didn't look that powerful a connection,but from the rear camera angle you could see the shock wave turn the back of his head and neck to jelly.
    fucking lovely shot.

And Garza started the night of with a bang.
    How did someone describe it last night on chat box,it looked like Garza was fighting Gary Coleman,the height difference was huge.
    anyway garza push Jabouin straight to a corner and attempted his knees that served him so well in his last fight but Jabouin managed to push him back with a good kick and then managed to drop garza with a couple of knees himself,then when it looked like Jabouin was finding some success in the striking battle,garza grabs Jabouin in a clinch and immediately throws his legs up for a flying triangle,once on the ground garza manages to tangle jabouin up and rolls on top of him with the triangle still locked up,he ends up in a position where he has a chioce to go for his arm or stick with the triangle,he stuck with the triangle and locked it up nice and tight and jabouin is done.
    Lovely move from Garza and a great start to the night.

I actually thought garza was pretty poor after his TUF showing and his quick choke he suffered in the WEC to Zhang,but his last two performances,although very quick have gave me a whol;e new respect for the guy.

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun May 01, 2011 10:11 pm

chrishd wrote:If they got rid of Goldberg who would then be the company whore - the one naming the sponsors etc time and time again?

Gerard Depardieu- that's who.

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet FzM2cO6jym0y7ezwZFlr2cHCo1_250

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:38 pm