THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
sunthunder
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
chrishd
ChelseaQuinsfan
hendos_right_hook
superman_punch
Anfields5thKing
wilksdaman
Mryzyz
manschesthair_utd
2brutal
19 posters

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet - Page 2 Empty Re: Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I don't know if the voice would necessarily improve Rogan but that would be a fun commentary team because there both hilarious guys. I'd love to have Mezger come in and commentate, he's one of the more knowledgeable commentators out there today and probably the best colour commentator. Very unlikely that it would happen though.

Can you imagine a commentating dream team consisting of Gus Johnson, Goldie and Goldberg. Ortiz can do interviews.

I just think that at times Rogan falls into being stupid with Goldie.

I would be horrified to watch that commentary team!

Rogan says some stupid things from time to time, and Goldberg never challenges it. I'm not so sure The Voice would either, I think if anyone would improve Rogan, it would be someone like Mezger, or as you suggested Militech.

That commentary team would be the worst thing ever.

I think The Voice would pull him up on things. But Mezger would do it too. Him and Rogan do the same job in theory but are completely different style-wise. Voice, Mezger and Rogan would be quite a good team together.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet - Page 2 Empty Re: Ufc 129 review do not look if you have not seen it yet

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 01, 2011 10:23 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I have to say I really enjoyed that card, even though the main event was a disappointment. GSP just looks so scared to attack and finish things off at times, and i'm not sure what the reason is. I'm not sure Jackson and his game plans really help when it comes to finishing a fight. He had Shields in trouble a couple of times, including after the high kick but he just didn't want to commit. Disappointing but still a fairly simple win for him. Shields caused no problems, he was outclassed in the striking and GSP took him down twice (out of 3 attempts) while SHields never even got close. Shields really needed to go after GSP like Sonnen went after Silva, because he caused no problems and was beaten easily. I though GSP won the first 4 rounds and the last round was a draw. 1st was clearly GSP, he landed more strikes, rocked Shields and hurt him with a shot to the liver.

The Hommnick vs Aldo fight was great. Aldo is a monster but there should be some question marks over his performance IMO. He won the first 4 rounds easily 10-9 but he gassed miserably. I'm not sure what happened with his cut but he got tired very quickly and Homnick battered him in the last round. I scored the fight 48-46 Aldo. Aldo looked very good early, his kicks are intense and his take downs were incredibly quick. His Gnp was sick as well. I was shocked they allowed Homnick to continue after the 4th, I thought he was about to die with that thing coming out of his head. But credit to him for sticking at it. This fight showed Aldo has a lot to do before he makes the switch to LW, where there are several top quality and well conditioned wrestlers. Not sure how he would have done against Melendez yesterday.

What can you say about Machida vs Randy. Sick KO and a sad way for Randy to go out, but it's done. Machida will get Griffin if he beats Shogun I reckon or he'll get a title shot if Davis beats Evans.

The Janitor still looks good at 40, nice KO.

Bendo vs Boeck was a very fun fight. Good win for Henderson after the loss to Pettis. He should fight Jim Miller next with the winner getting a title fight after Pettis, unless he losses to GUida.

Some sick fights on the under card, Ellenberger continues to impress. I think he's ready for another big fight. Pierson was a huge drop in quality compared to Fitch.

Very good event though.

GSP did not rock Shields once in the entire fight other than the headkick. He caught him with a left hand when he was throwing a kick and knocked him off balance, and landed one overhand right that Shields shook off. First round was completely even.

you gave the first 4 rounds to Aldo 10-9 but somehow scored the fight 48-46?? Are you trying to say that the last round was a 10-8 but the 1st, 3rd and 4th weren't???

There was one point in the fight (i think 2nd or 3rd round) where Shields was visibly hurt and he backed away quickly. The first round GSP caught SHields and he looked rocked, although it might have been a slip. GSP still caught him with that liver shot though which is far more than Shields did. He was also more aggresive during the round and landed a lot more strikes. 10-9 GSP IMO.

1st definitely wasn't 10-9. 3rd and 4th you can make cases for but I don't think either were more of a clear 10-8 than the last round. Aldo landed about 3 shots in that last round. The third round was quite close till Aldo dropped Homnick. Now obviously he wasn't out boxing Aldo like that Neanderthal Goldberg said, but he landed some good shots. I don't think being dropped means a 10-8 round. Same goes for the 4th but he was dropped a lot quicker, and then he had that thing on his head so that was possibly a 10-8. I have to watch it again to be sure, but it wasn't more clear than Homnicks IMO.

Anyone else think Shawn Tompkins is a terrible coach?

Shields moved away because another couple of shots would have hurt him but he wasn't hurt from that one shot. GSP wasn't agressive at all. He just tried to get his jab going and keep the distance.

First round, Aldo beat him up on the feet, took him down twice and did damage. 3rd and 4th rounds he beat the fuck out of him. Dropped him, outstuck him, took him down and beat the fuck out of him. Look at Hominick after the 4th round! He looked like he'd been mugged. Aldo didn't fight in the 5th. He knew he had won and he knew Hominick was never going to stop him. Hominick did no damage from the top. He landed about 4 decent shots from the top and a couple to the body. He never tried to advance his position and Aldo was never in trouble or in danger of getting stopped.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun May 01, 2011 11:51 pm

What about the commentary in Aldo-Hominick fight?? Hominick was clearly out striking Aldo in round 2 and 3. I dont know what happened to Aldo in those rounds but he miraciously recovered in round 4 could have been 10-8, round 5 was all Hominick, Aldo just laid on his back absolutely exhausted, getting punched in the face, could have been 10-8. Round 2 and 3 Aldo won because of takedowns and lay and pray. We really havent seen this so called "world class" BJJ from Aldo at all including Faber fight. Hominick did well, he's a tough guy with very very good crisp boxing. He did himself proud.

GSP fight was a joke. Ruined an awesome event. Was ready to give it 10/10 until the main event. lol at people who thought Shields could take GSP down.

Bocek again struggled to submit Bendo, that guy is just really awkward to submit. I would like to see Bendo-Miller next. Bendo looked good last night.

Rory Macdonald was a beast last night, i knew he would beat Nate. Some great combinations and takedowns shown by Rory. And his GnP on Nate was very good too. Many a time he would lure Nate into trying to get up and then just pounce on him with punches on his way up. The suplexes were amazing aswell.

What a knockout by Makdessi, so unlucky not to get KOTN, on any other card he would have gotten it no problem. Cant wait to see who he fights next. Makdessi-Barboza anyone?? Twisted Evil

Great triangles by Garza and Macdonald. Ellenberger looks an absolute beast. He has huge power in his hands and great wrestling. He struggled against Rocha but really impressed last night.

Anyone else think that Rory-Nate fight would be like GSP-Nick Diaz from matchup point of view?? Thats how i think the fight would go anyway. Fair enough GSP would be considerably lacking in reach compared to Rory, and isnt as strong as him. But GSP is like a better version of Rory as is Nick to Nate. It was a thought that crossed my mind while watching the fight.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun May 01, 2011 11:57 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Anyone else think Shawn Tompkins is a terrible coach?

yep. he is the one who told mark coleman to stand against Randy.
    Coleman never looked as bad, and its the only fight in his career where he hasnt tried to take the guy down.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 am

Sorry, I missed that part of Chelsea's post. Yes, Shawn Tompkins is crap from what I've seen. I mentioned it in the chatbox last night. Not sure why anyone would train with him, he seems clueless.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

What about the commentary in Aldo-Hominick fight?? Hominick was clearly out striking Aldo in round 2 and 3. I dont know what happened to Aldo in those rounds but he miraciously recovered in round 4 could have been 10-8, round 5 was all Hominick, Aldo just laid on his back absolutely exhausted, getting punched in the face, could have been 10-8. Round 2 and 3 Aldo won because of takedowns and lay and pray. We really havent seen this so called "world class" BJJ from Aldo at all including Faber fight. Hominick did well, he's a tough guy with very very good crisp boxing. He did himself proud.

GSP fight was a joke. Ruined an awesome event. Was ready to give it 10/10 until the main event. lol at people who thought Shields could take GSP down.

Bocek again struggled to submit Bendo, that guy is just really awkward to submit. I would like to see Bendo-Miller next. Bendo looked good last night.

Rory Macdonald was a beast last night, i knew he would beat Nate. Some great combinations and takedowns shown by Rory. And his GnP on Nate was very good too. Many a time he would lure Nate into trying to get up and then just pounce on him with punches on his way up. The suplexes were amazing aswell.

What a knockout by Makdessi, so unlucky not to get KOTN, on any other card he would have gotten it no problem. Cant wait to see who he fights next. Makdessi-Barboza anyone?? Twisted Evil

Great triangles by Garza and Macdonald. Ellenberger looks an absolute beast. He has huge power in his hands and great wrestling. He struggled against Rocha but really impressed last night.

Anyone else think that Rory-Nate fight would be like GSP-Nick Diaz from matchup point of view?? Thats how i think the fight would go anyway. Fair enough GSP would be considerably lacking in reach compared to Rory, and isnt as strong as him. But GSP is like a better version of Rory as is Nick to Nate. It was a thought that crossed my mind while watching the fight.

I think you need to rewatch rounds 2 and 3. Aldo was landing, Hominick was missing. Aldo was hurting Hominick, Hominick was doing very little except firing off one and two punches which Aldo easily avoided. Agreed that Aldo hasn't shown his BJJ but he hasn't had to. He's shown brilliant striking and good wrestling. His takedowns last night were excellent. Hominick got his ass handed to him for 4 rounds and only managed to get any offense in when Aldo was gassed and decided to ride out the 5th and take a decision. He said in Aldo's guard slapping him to the body and missing most of the punches to the face.

Shields never used his takedowns to try and get GSP down except for in the first round when GSP did the BJ Penn hop-about. He's never been one to shoot and take people down, he clinches and trips or drags people down. Like most Greco guys. GSP was running for most of the fight, would have taken Koscheck-esque shooting to get him down. GSP did ruin the main event with his performance though. No surprise Dana did chew him out the way he did to Anderson though.

Bocek's BJJ is hugely over-rated, best at 155 according to Goldie - nowhere close in reality. Hendo was very impressive. Miller is a good shout as his next opponent.

MacDonald was very impressive, Nate really struggles with guys who are stronger than him. He needs to go back to LW and start fighting like his brother.

Makdessi's KO masked an otherwise unimpressive performance against a can. Not impressed with Makdessi. Very flashy but sloppy and will be beaten by any top level fighter.

Agree on Garza, J.MacDonald and Ellenberger. It's time for Ellenberger to face a top guy. I say give him Alves after Alves destroys Story.

Don't think it would be similar at all for a number of reasons.
    1) Nick Diaz is a far better striker than Nate, and he's a better boxer than GSP.
    2) Nick is bigger than GSP whilst Nate was smaller than MacDonald.
    3) Nick has a much better ground game than Nate whilst GSP showed against Shields he's scared to go to ground with a top level BJJ fighter that he's not much bigger than. GSP would not fight against Nick the way MacDonald fought against Nate.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am

Wonder how homminicks head locks today is wife is due to give birth I bet the little ones first thought is why does daddy have 2 heads, thought t he doctor would stop it but glad for homminick he didn't,
    Meanie when I read your post I thought yeah bet that's what will happen if gsp and diaz fight, then when I read anfields comment, I'm not so sure, Of the two from Cesar gracie I think Diaz as better ground game than shields and gsp did not stay in top position long last night, after last night even the gsp die hards will be hard pressed to come up with an argument for gsp to outbox Diaz, that been said I rekon he will find a way to get a ud if the fight comes to fruition, he seems about as up to fight Anderson as I am to fight overeem and Velasquez in a 2 on 1 handicap match
    I am a ellenberger fan you will see that from my past picks and trumps, and I don't no what a can is but I guess it means a bum, but let's face it pierson is a can so let's not get 2 carried away
    I like story to and rekon it will be a hard fight for alves roll on may card
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon May 02, 2011 1:33 pm

I think Aldo would have had an easier time with Hominick had he just gone after his legs more. If Aldo has shown a weakness prior to Saturdays fight, I think it was in his boxing, which at times in the past has been a bit wild, and even though he was successful with his hands, I think it was predicated on his ridiculous speed.

His performance against Hominick came across to me as though he was wanting to test his boxing and counter punching, something which I think he was also doing against Gamburyan. It's been a successful venture, but I think he could have taken out both more quickly by sticking to his kicks.

If that's what Aldo is doing, I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, it's great to test yourself and work on your weaknesses, and it is working. On the other, I don't think it's ever really wise to voluntarily take a longer path to victory. And Aldo will only face tougher challenges in the coming years. I'd just hate to see the kind of deference he showed Faber (who I do think he could have finished) hurt him in the future.

Otherwise, it was a good performance, Aldo definitely doesn't deserve the flack some are giving him. It might ultimately do him some good to feel what it's like to be pressured from top position, something Mendes could definitely threaten him with.

In terms of the GSP question, even I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I'd always prefer fighters perform to win rather than entertain, and I'll happily defend the performances of fighters like Fitch and Okami. The difference between those two and GSP and those two though is that GSP is leagues better than his opponents in a way those guys aren't. Seeing guys as offensively gifted as Anderson, Bones and Aldo really coming into their own is making GSP frankly look limited.

Realistically, GSP isn't going to be blasting fighters away standing. Technically, he's not a good power puncher, even when he really throws hard, he throws his hooks with more of a push to them than a snap. The over-hand right he went to time and time again on Saturday just wasn't a well thrown punch. I thought Rogan/Goldberg comparing it to Liddell's over-hand punch was generous, it reminded me much more of a Leonard Garcia - locked out straight arm flailing over the top and connecting with the inside of the fist.

Even though he's not a KO puncher, GSP should be capable of going after fighters so much more when he stands with them. His takedown defense is so good he should be able to stay in range and put more combinations together, but he never pushes that angle.

I'm always hesitant to make arm-chair psychological evaluations of fighters, but considering how far ahead GSP is over his opponents, he always looks more nervous in his corner in between rounds than other fighters in his position are.

It was a good UFC, I still need to watch the prelims, but it was a memorable event. The Machida kick blew my mind. We've just been inundated with great kicks recently, I hope this trend continues!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Typical Dana, his only criticism was the overhand right GSP kept flailing(Sun is right, the comparison with Chuck's was well off mark. Laughable even). If Anderson had fought like that he'd have thrown a tantrum.

He claims nobody said anything negative to him about the fight, people called it "a great fight".

He did mention that Nick Diaz is his favourite to fight GSP next.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon May 02, 2011 4:18 pm

One of the best events in recent history, every fight on the card other than two were great fights, something very rare these days. Starting from the bottom, Garza continues to impress, he appears to have it all, good stand up and good submission skills, although Jabouin picked him apart a bit on the feet prior to his submission. I think he could potentially cause the top end featherweights a few problems with his height, because nobody in the featherweight division comes close to being as big as him, although put him in their with Aldo and he'll be getting his legs destroyed all night.

Makdessi wasn't anything special for what the hype could potentially offer, at times he was being outstruck by Watson, somebody who's stand up is poor. Good highlight reel knockout, but not a good performance nontheless, still has a lot to prove to warrent him being put in their with the top 20 lightweights.

Good submission by MacDonald, good to see him getting back in the win column following his long absense due to his broken leg, be interesting to see who he gets put in their with next, as Jensen was a bit of a given for him, a guy who has been submitted countless times, so I think if MacDonald gets put in their against somebody with fairly decent submission defense and can keep the fight standing, I don't see much else that MacDonald can do.

Menjivar put on an impressive performance, he's another guy who is very well rounded, good stand up and good submission skills. The short elbow he threw that broke Valencia's nose was brutal. I think Menjivar can expect to be put in there with the top 10 guys again, maybe a rematch with Pickett after the two fought to a close decision last year.

Not much I can see on Patrick VS Robert as my Facebook stream went down, but from what I heard it went down at the right time. Roberts desperatly needs to improve his stand up, in a division packed with wrestlers you're not going to get by on BJJ, and fairly average BJJ at that. Patrick appears to be in the same boat except that he does have some decent stand up, both guys need to improve though if they want to face the top end of the welterweight division though.

Ellenberger VS Pierson was a huge mismatch, obviously Pierson was meant to face Brian Foster at first before he had to pull out, so you can't point fingers at UFC matchmaking too much for making this fight on such short notice. Even with the mismatch, I think this fight helped Ellenberger, as he was coming off that close split decision win over Rocha where he didn't look to impressive, so this helps to rise his stock again. I think Pierson was heavily overhyped following his fight with Riddle. Him being an Ontario native and all that, I think he was there to just make up the numbers.

Great performance by Rory MacDonald, i'm not taking anything away from the kid but i'm keeping an eye open on his name being brought up when the drug test results come back. I'm not suggesting anything but MacDonald was sporting some very Chael Sonnen esque acne on his back, so i'm just going to bare that in mind. Hopefully though he'll be clean, because he dominated Diaz, those slams he hit were brutal, i'm shocked Diaz was able to recover after that third one. MacDonald is the real deal, had he not got a bit excited in the Condit fight, he would have won that, so the future for this kid is very bright. I think Diaz needs a drop to 155, he's tried his luck at 170 and come unstuck against two guys who are bordering top 15, he was having close fights with top 5 guys at 155, obvious where he needs to go.

Ben Henderson had a great performance, I have a lot of time for him, I think with perhaps the exception of Machida, him more than anyone was the guy who had to make the biggest statement on this card, to prove that the WEC guys were the real deal. He has good stand up and a great submission game, so I think Henderson can expect to be in their with more top 10 guys in the future. Bocek looks fairly impressive at times, but nothing special, he's another guy that needs to dramatically improve his stand up.

Matyushenko did nothing to damage his stock, very good early knock out of Brilz, and I think he can expect to be in their with a top 15 guy next. Not much else can really be said about the fight, early knockout, nothing to really criticise Brilz on, and so we move on.

Funny thing about Machida VS Couture, I was on the chat box and was talking to Anfield about Steven Seagal and the Anderson kick and how Seagal claimed he was entirely down to it and pretty much slagging Seagal off, next thing, Machida comes out with the next version of the kick! So credit where it's due, whether or not it is actually his doing, but it would appear that maybe Seagal is teaching these guys a thing or two, so fair play. Now that that's out the way, I think it was obvious that Couture would be going out with a knockout loss, Couture hasn't been relevant since the Gonzaga fight 4 years ago, and he has made the right decision to call it quits. He's had a great career, and I credit him for that, but put him in their with any of the top 15 guys in the LHW division and I see him losing to most of them, so it was the right time to call it a day. Machida came back in a big way following his fights with Shogun and Rampage. If it hadn't been for the joke UFC matchmaking putting together Evans VS Davis, then we might understand a bit more where Machida stands in terms of the title picture, but at the moment we don't, maybe if Rampage beats Hamill they might put together a rematch between Machida and Rampage and the winner gets the next shot, but who knows.

Aldo VS Hominick was a great fight, Hominick earned my respect in a big way last night, as i'm sure he did with everyone watching the event, had it not been for some of the worst coaching i've seen in a while coming out of his corner, then maybe he might have had a better shot, but Aldo was just too much for him. Aldo had gassed in like the 3rd round and he still was too much for Hominick, and that is still without seeing anything of Aldo's BJJ game, something that I imagine we might have to see when he fights Chad Mendes at UFC 133. Not sure what happened with Aldo in the weight cut, but something certainly happened. Hominick didn't have the killer instinct that he needed in that final round, he should have passed guard way earlier and attempted so serious ground and pound because like I said, Aldo had gassed like 10 minutes earlier.

Now for the main event, and despite being a GSP fan I was "not impressed with his performance." I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was having a lot of trouble seeing out of his eye, and obviously if you only have one eye you don't rentlessly attempt to knock somebody out, you do take precaution, and that's what GSP did, but we've seen this too many times now. First of all I think GSP has no intention of fighting Anderson, and if he was to fight Diaz, the only way I see GSP winning is by decision, so I think if UFC does want the Silva fight, they need to wait until GSP can stop somebody, because based on his recent performances he doesn't deserve Silva. As for Shields, not a clue what his game plan was, he tried a few takedowns in the first round which GSP avoided, but after that he just forgot what he's good at, after all the build up was based around his amazing BJJ and GSP has never faced a guy with that level of BJJ in his career, and then from rounds 2-5 he doesn't even make any serious attempt to display that, so i'm confused as to what happened there, although to be fair to Shields, he stand up looked to have improved rather well.

Overall, great event, with a disappointing ending, just a shame we have to wait until the end of May before the next event, but then it's 6 events in 6 weeks so this Summer is certainly going to be a good one in MMA Very Happy
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon May 02, 2011 4:34 pm

6 in 6 week I could be divorced after that can't wait though,

I watch mma with my mate and he is a bodybuilder, he reckons macdonald was geared up, could of been bad acne who knows, he also reckons gsp looked like he was on growth, I didn't think so but just a thought from someone in the know,
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 02, 2011 5:09 pm

He's only 21 might still just have acne. Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 02, 2011 5:17 pm

I've heard a couple of people saying they think GSP is on HGH over the last year or two. I really hope not.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Me 2 anfield would be a big shame,
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Garza triangle choke was sweet.

Makdessi was unimpressive up until that beautiful back fist.

MacDonald triangle was also sweet, he's such a craft veteran.

Menjivar elbow was brutal, he is quite a well rounded fighter.

Patrick is on a massive winstreak yet there's no hype surrounding him and i can see why because he is SO boring! Interesting on his wikipedia though "Patrick was the victim of a high publicized taser gun attack following an MMA event in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada. He woke up two days later in the hospital after doctors put him in a medically induced coma. He states that he has no recollection of the attack." affraid

Ellenberger finish was beautiful but Pierson is a tomato can.

MacDonald is an absolute animal, he deserves a top ten fighter next no doubt about it! Diaz is absolute shit IMO.

I missed the Bendo- Bocek and the Vlad- Brilz fights cos i feel asleep Sad but i've seen the Janitor's KO and all i can say is WOW, that guy just keeps on surprising me! He's like Randy Couture Version 2.0! Laughing

I woke up half way through the first round of the Couture- Machida fight, just minutes before the AMAZING KO! From what i seen Couture just couldn't tie up Machida and that was the beginning of the end for him. The kick, beautiful as it was didn't look to have much power behind it but the technique you cannot question, superb KO, Seagal does it again! What next, a forward flip front kick to the face knockout? here's hoping!!

Aldo- Hominick fight was incredible and surprisingly back and forth Shocked I thought Aldo would seriously blow through him but Hominick did more than enough to hang in there and actually got some good offence off, especially in the fifth round where i felt he could have got a stoppage if he just let rip more! Great fight that showed a few holes in Aldo's game, such as his gas tank, but at the same time showed us things we didn't really know, such as how good his takedowns are!

For my take on the GSP- Shields fight, read my reviews of the GSP- Hardy, Koscheck, Fitch, etc fights...

Overall the event was amazing as others have said the only two slightly boring fights were the Claude Patrick fight and the GSP fight. Gutted i missed out on half of my predicitions and even more gutted that it's aaaaages til the next UFC event but 6 events in 6 weeks will have me creaming in my pants so lets be 'aving it!!
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon May 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Nate is not shit he is awesome at lightweight close loss tomaynard win against Melvin he shouldn't be at welter that's all
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 02, 2011 10:57 pm

I think Nate has the potential to do at LW what his brother does at WW. He just needs to work harder on his boxer, develop his BJJ more and continue to train hard every day.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Dont wanna bang on about the whole event but agree with Anfield Nick needs to go back to 155 and Cesar said he is, he gave Maynard a 50/50 fight because Maynard or any 155ers arent going to suplex him silly like that again. I think he can be a title contender, but he has a build himself right back up from scratch now...

GSP's standup is vastly overrated, Ive a better overhand that that, piss poor accuracy, really showed he isnt a finisher on the feet... well isnt a finisher full stop. For a guy who throws superman jabs in the blink of an eye he could do with brishing up other aspects of his game, mainly those slow sloppy rights he threw and his BJJ. I without doubt would back Anderson over him now.

Glad Randy is done, he is a legend and its clear he was loosing steam. For me he will go down as MMA's Bernard Hopkins, a guy who fought rediculously old and at high level even he isnt physically what he was. I think MAchida would be the biggest test for Bones given that he has the most unorthadox style, something Bones couldnt prepare for. I really hope he gets to finish the job against Rampage though and set that robbery right.

Garza is one of the most likeable fighters ever!

Aldo gassed but won pretty much every round, I wouldnt read too much into it but to win 3-4 rounds when gassed shows his tallent I reckon.

Macdonnald vs Ellenberger could happen I reckon...
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Great Event overall really surprised at Jake's game plan and this probably surprised GSP too.

Good Co main event he seem like Aldo was just taking a breather I don't think he was ever in trouble credit to Homonick that man is Tough and has a huge heart.

Great KO's for Machida, Vlad and Makdessi and Subs for MacDonald & Garza too.

The one thing that ruined the event for me was the commentary all through out was terrible Goldberg is easily the worse in the business at least Ranallo knows his stuff and Rogan seems to see things no one else sees Homonick was not lighting him up or what ever he said.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 pm

[quote="Cowboy From Hell"]Great Event overall really surprised at Jake's game plan and this probably surprised GSP too.

Good Co main event he seem like Aldo was just taking a breather I don't think he was ever in trouble credit to Homonick that man is Tough and has a huge heart.

Great KO's for Machida, Vlad and Makdessi and Subs for MacDonald & Garza too.

The one thing that ruined the event for me was the commentary all through out was terrible Goldberg is easily the worse in the business at least Ranallo knows his stuff and Rogan seems to see things no one else sees Homonick was not lighting him up or what ever he said.[/quote]
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Gsp has a good jab and superman punch is impressive not bad kicks but what in the blue he'll was that overhand right cringing never seen him use that before
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Sorry, I actually forgot about his superman punch. It is good. But it's a glorified jab.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed May 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Long read but i found it interesting.

Bruises are as much a part of mixed martial arts as tattoos and cauliflower ears, but the bruise endured by Mark Hominick in Saturday’s UFC 129 featherweight title bout with Jose Aldo was of another degree entirely.

Any trauma to the tissues of the body can result in a hematoma. If only the low-pressure capillaries in the skin are disrupted, the hematoma that develops is usually no more than a simple bruise. A larger and potentially more serious hematoma develops if veins are damaged. Hominick’s injury appeared to be an even more significant form of hematoma: one caused by arterial bleeding.

The superficial temporal artery originates at the external carotid artery; it rises upwards anteriorly to the ear and extends branches posteriorly to the parietal region of the scalp, and anteriorly across the forehead. Aldo’s punch to Hominick’s head appeared to tear this frontal branch of the superficial temporal artery. An artery cut cleanly -- whether with a scalpel or shard of glass -- spasms downward, spontaneously achieving hemostasis. But torn arteries tend to bleed extensively into the surrounding tissues. Bleeding only stops when the pressure in the damaged tissues matches the pressure in the ruptured vessel: for an athlete, that is on the order of 150 mmHg.

There is very little tissue overlying the bone of the skull -- connective tissue, subcutaneous fat, the frontalis muscle -- and the underlying bone is unyielding. As a result, hematomas of the scalp, or cephalohematomas, tend to bulge outwards creating a “goose egg” appearance not seen elsewhere on the body.

Aldo busted Hominick up.
    Cephalohematomas are painful and disfiguring, but only dangerous to the extent that they signal the potential presence of more serious associated injuries. When the cageside physician stepped in to examine Hominick, he did a quick pupillary exam. Ensuring the pupil constricts in response to bright light confirms that the retina is capable of perceiving light and that the nerves innervating the eye are intact. Next, he palpated the edges of the hematoma, feeling for the irregular contours of a depressed skull fracture. It would be unusual for a punch to cause a fracture of the thick frontal bone, but such an injury cannot be missed: it puts the fighter at risk for serious brain injury the next time he’s hit. The presence of either a badly damaged eye or a defect in the skull would have required an immediate fight stoppage.

As it was, the fight continued. At the round break, the doctor stepped in to examine Hominick further. He tested the fighter’s peripheral vision and extra-ocular motor function; both were intact, meaning Hominick could see well enough to target his punches and avoid his opponent’s.

Simultaneously, the Canadian’s cutman worked the enswell, trying to push the hematoma laterally away from the supraorbital ridge that lies deep to the eyebrow. The enswell did little good: if Aldo had landed a solid shot on the taut hematoma, it would have likely ruptured in a blinding fountain of blood.

Judging from the comments among those with whom I watched the fight, few would have questioned the attending physician had he stopped the fight. But he would have been wrong to do so. He would have stolen something precious from Hominick: the chance to finish the fight, to win new fans, to earn an extra $129,000 bonus for his growing family, and to be part of something truly great. Kudos for his forbearance.

To many of us who watched UFC 129, a far more worrisome injury was welterweight champion George St. Pierre’s wounded left eye.

It was unlikely that challenger Jake Shields’ finger to the eye had caused a catastrophic injury, such as a globe rupture or complete retinal detachment, but St. Pierre was clearly distressed. Any number of reversible injuries -- a broad corneal abrasion, bleeding in the anterior chamber of the eye, a lens disruption -- would render the affected eye temporarily useless. Trainer and corner Greg Jackson’s exhortations to ignore the injury and fight through it did not appear to comfort St. Pierre.

Had the ringside physician heard St. Pierres’s anxious report to Jackson (“I can’t see,” GSP said. “I can’t see at all,”) the doctor would have been duty bound to stop the fight. A fighter with only one eye cannot see stereoscopically, cannot see in three dimensions. In a striking match, that is a crippling disability. Further, if a fighter has an injured eye, the ringside physician must assume the worst: that the damage is irreparable and the fighter has only one good eye left to live with. It would be unconscionable to leave an impaired fighter in the ring knowing that a blow to his now-lone good eye could leave him totally blind. In such a case, it is the ringside physician’s responsibility to step in and protect the fighter not merely from his opponent, but from his own drive to fight on in the face of a potentially life-altering injury.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed May 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Little late guys I know but first chance ive had on a computer in like 3 weeks!

GSP: mate your guna go down in history as the most boring champion ever! He doesnt even do his back flip anymore! Bring in Pride rules and Caution his sorry ass! Sheilds YOU FLOPPED! the only way he was guna GSP was with BJJ.... Simples!

Aldo is awesome simple as that his head movement is the best he dodged the majority of what was thrown at him, if only he had used the leg kicks more... I liked Rogan comments about how hom could take the leg kicks better because he used to be a kick boxer, im sure if Aldo had used them more Hom would have wilted... and the even better comment about Aldo being an ex footballer so that makes him a better kicker.... PRICK!

Machida has gone up the ladder with me again, looked alot more aggressive and the finish was even better than silvas! Just hope he can keep the aggressive fighting next time!
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed May 04, 2011 10:17 pm

As Axes' post shows, I think we can give GSP a pass on this one.

If I went blind in one eye, I would go into panic mode. No way would I fight on, I would get to an eye doctor a soon as I could, aye.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:03 am