THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
efils_god
TomHughes1983
pinsman
Anfields5thKing
the_king
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
The_Axe_Emperor
12 posters

UFC 120 Review

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 120 Review Empty UFC 120 Review

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:13 pm

We didn't have a thread on this so i thought i'd be the one to make it Smile

=== ===

Preliminary Card

Light Heavyweight bout: James McSweeney vs. Fabio Maldonado
    Maldonado defeated McSweeney via TKO (punches) at 0:48 of Round 3.

Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Kurt Warburton
    Fisher defeated Warburton via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Lightweight bout: Paul Sass vs. Mark Holst
    Sass defeated Holst via submission (triangle choke) at 4:45 of Round 1. This fight aired on the ESPN broadcast following the Bisping vs Akiyama fight.

Heavyweight bout: Rob Broughton vs. Vinicius Queiroz
    Broughton defeated Queiroz via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:43 of Round 3.

Light Heavyweight bout: Cyrille Diabaté vs. Alexander Gustafsson
    Gustafsson defeated Diabaté via submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:41 of Round 2.

Main card

Welterweight bout: James Wilks vs. Claude Patrick
    Patrick defeated Wilks via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Travis Browne
    Browne and Kongo fought to a unanimous draw (28-28, 28-28, 28-28). Kongo had one point deducted in Round 3 for repeatedly grabbing Browne's shorts.

Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Mike Pyle
    Pyle defeated Hathaway by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Welterweight bout: Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit
    Condit defeated Hardy via KO (punch) at 4:27 of Round 1.

Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama
    Bisping defeated Akiyama via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Bonus awards

Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.

Fight of the Night: Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama

Knockout of the Night: Carlos Condit

Submission of the Night: Paul Sass

=== ===

I'm still in a bit of shock that Hardy got knocked.the.fuck.out. It was VERY similar to the Semtex KO of Hazelett in the sense that they both connected at the same time, just Condit seemed to connect cleaner and sparked Hardy, then finished with some brutal g'n'p!

I think Browne got ROBBED, i don't see how Kongo won 2 rounds of that fight? Baffled by the decision but what was strange was the ref gave Kongo a warning for the short holding, then within 5 seconds decucted a point. He seen Kongo do it repeatedly again but did nothing? Very strange.

The Cunt tapped his way to another decision, although if Akiyama actually had a gameplan in this fight he would have won easily, Bisping is pish and this fight just reiterated that point. Same as in the Wanderlei fight, as soon as his opponent swarmed him with punches he was in all kinds of trouble.

Paul Sass, WOW!

Good night of fights, a few decisions but they were still fun decisions.
    cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 120 Review Empty Re: UFC 120 Review

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:48 pm

the first 3 fights were not great at all. pale

Wilkes could not do anything, Patrick seems to just want to basically stifle him the whole fight Neutral
    im not a fan.

Kongo and Browne was a very stop/start affair with plenty of cheating and no result in the end. pale

Hathaway was outclassed by a more experienced fighter. Neither guy can really punch that hard in standing arena...especially hathaway, and i think 1 sub attempt in the whole fight? Hathaway is though though, he may still have a good future.

sad to see Hardy KOd especially since i sat through the first 3 fights hoping this would be a good war lol.

Akiyama brings it every time.cheers
    and this was a good fight despite Bisping. lol.
    i think it was the right decision if you score volume over power and effect.
    it was quite clear who punched harder, and landed harder shots, AND who has a better chin!
    Akiyama was not smart to sit back for long periods though, he could have used his judo, or even if he kept the pressure on Bisping he could have KOd him.

Overall it was arguably the 4th lacklustre UFC event in a row.
    UFC 118, 119 and 120 each really had 1 good fight on the main card.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Has anyone seen the prelim fights other than Sass ? I want to see Maldonado and Gustaffson-Diabate.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:55 pm

meanie im looking for them now sass was the only one iv seen too.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Horrendous event. Comical that Bisping-Akiyama was given fight of the night.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Found Gustaffson-Diabate fight.

http://mmafightvideosonline.blogspot.com/2010/10/cyrille-diabate-vs-alexander-gustafsson.html

Gustaffson is a dangerous scary LHW.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:09 pm

i usually go to mma linker but there videos have been removed.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Few things im happy about Dana's comments. First off he's happy with Akiyama's signing and doesnt mind his loosing streak if he's putting on FOTN performances everytime. 2nd he thought Browne won the fight which is a big thing actually as it means Browne will be getting a tough opponent next, just like Dunham getting Kenflo next. Im also glad Dana is pissed at Kongo after last night.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:04 pm

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 pm

I thought for the first time in a loooooooong while that Bisping was good las night... you gotta giveit to him he performed well. If he had knock out power he'd be pritty devestating!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 pm

ps: had a tear in my eye when Hardy got KO'd poss my fav fighter at the moment!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:27 pm

jus watched the mcsweeny fight its a shame he lost had a good first round, i hope ufc make him work on his cardio and give him 1 more fight.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:48 am

Ok, fellas, be warned, I've had a rant building up for ages and I'm about to let it loose.

The event was turd.

On paper the event looked like turd. Yet, over 17,000 people went to the event. It looked liked the UFC had put every single British fighter they could get ahold of (8 out of the 10 fights featured a Brit). Some how, James Wilkes versus Claude Patrick and Travis Browne versus Cheick Kongo made the main card. Yes, put the locals on the dark card but fill the screened portion of the card with stars. I wish people wouldn't turn up in their droves to see substandard cards as the UFC might try to do better cards if people didn't watch or turn up.

The last decent card that the UFC managed to put together was UFC 117, in my opinion. Unlike in a boxing card, I hope to see at least three quality match-ups on the main card, and that one had four with the exception being, on paper, Guida-dos Anjos.

In all fairness, I shouldn't feel so bad as it appears that the Germans are getting the same treatment as their card looks awful. Luckily, those poor put upon Americans will get a free UFC card screened on Spike for their troubles because it'd be awful if they had to watch an event live at an anti-social hour.

I'm glad I didn't pay to go to the Expo although the only fighter I feel I missed out on seeing was Wanderlei Silva as from what Ben says, he's a real gent.

My reason for the rant about the Expo is that I enjoy seeing British fighters. I like meeting British fighters but I've done most of that at local British events (I've seen the Rough House guys turn out en masse to see Dean Amasinger fight at Ultimate Challenge UK events and I've proudly shaken Brad Pickett's hand after he won their feather weight title too and I met Paul Daley at my gym as his weight trainer is one of the trainers at the gym). Why would I pay to see fighters that I see as part of local events? I'd love to have seen big names, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mirko Filipovic, Mauricio Rua, Chuck Liddell, Rich Franklin (all to me legends of the sport) but they didn't attend. So I didn't go. Basically, we got a second rate British expo whilst the two in the US were well attended by big name fighters. I don't like being treated like a second class of fan. I want to be given the same level of respect by the UFC.

Rant over.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 am

iv had the feeling that brit fans get a rough deal bar ufc 95. i feel on paper the cards look ok but when it comes to after the event i think poor quality.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 am

UFC 95 was a shit card on paper as well. I mean, Joe Stevenson and Diego Sanchez in the main event? Hardly anyone over here had heard of them two before that fight so that was a shocking headliner.

The UFC just got lucky that it was an absolutely fantastic night of fights!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56 am

what you talking about axe never heard of them sanchez had been fighting ufc since april 2005 and joe daddy since november 2005. unless your one of them people who watch ufc only for the main event then you must have heard of them.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:03 am

I mean in casual fans eyes, they weren't big names by any stretch of the imagination and even now that they've both been in a title fight, for them to headline a UFC card is outrageous.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:07 am

i dunno what you point is casual fans dont pay upto £200 to attend a ufc event and they were mainstream guys both won TUF. listen im not getting on your back because i feel us brits get a raw deal when it comes to ufc over here.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Just my thoughts -

Such a disappointing and predicatle main event (you'll tell me i picked Akiyama in the predictor, but Bisping UD was the obvious next choice). Not sure what's next for Bisping but he doesn't look like he'll ever knock anyone out. He barely stumbled an Akiyama who just stood in front of him and ate about 200 shots. Who next for each of these guys? I'd absolutely love to see Bisping-Palhares - Please!! But i think they'll do a Wanderlei rematch.

Disappointing for Hardy, just as he'd won me over too! Condit looked good though. Hardy can bounce back from this but i hope the UFc don't feed him a couple of cans, he should get right back in with the mid-top level guys. Condit will probably fight Kampmann after Sheilds beats him?

Disappointed in Hathaway, he was a masssive favourite but really was controlled the whole fight by Pyle. Not sure where next for him....

Kongo is an idiot and very unsportsman like but i had him winning rounds 2 and 3 so a draw was fine for me. Was a pretty boring fight though and i really dislike Kongo as a fighter too.

Although i always knock McSweeney he looked good for about 4 minutes, and if Maldonado had a weaker chin he may have been in trouble with those knees. After 4 mins, though, McSweeney looked like he had developed full body arthritis and couldn' move. He really gassed bad, and the body shots didn't help. He must surely get cut now with a record of 4-6??

This Sass guy looks decent but i'm sure he'll be found out as one dimensional by upper level guys. Kind of reminds me of Demian Maia although obviosuly not as good!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Have only seen the telivised card but The Snake aparently got outstruck!!!! Shocked Wow! didnt see that one coming!!!!

Akiyama is shit, Piss poor cardio despite not cutting much if any weight. A 1 dimentional striker so far in UFC who seems to forget what Judo or Grappling are. Greg Jackson had what game plan for him exactly? Plod after Bisping getting picked apart???? He played right into Bispings hands, puzzling performance.

Condit is the dogs balls, him and Hardy was by far the best fight to watch, It was high paced and they really mixed up strikes. They both threw a straight hook combo and both looked to land the Hook but hardys lights got turned out which IMO speaks volumes about Condits Chin and Power cause there are very few who can trade with HArdy.

Glad Broughton won! RNC choke!! Didnt think they tought cage rage guys that sort of thing!! All joking aside I think he is a good fighter, I think he can crack the top 10 and think he would give Nelson or Rothwell a close fight and probabally beat the likes of Brown/Kongo/Barry/Hardonk... I can see him doing well in the UFC.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:37 pm

We got shown some differant fights over here to what you lot got,we didn't get the McSweeney or Broughton fight..

Diabate was the first fight on over here and he was absolutely crap.He ended up just giving up in the end.
    Gustafson easily won the stand up,and also took the piss out of him on the ground,even though it was obvious that gustafsson doesn't really know what to do properly on the ground and was basicly using the skills he had just learned in this training camp.
    Gustafson went for three really poor rearnaked chokes that you could tell he had only just learned,he really didn't know how to execute them properly.After the first choke attempt Diabate,escaped and then rolled on his back,but when he did Gustafson smashed him up with a few shots,so he tuirned and gave his back again,where he got put in the choke again,again the same thing happened,then for the third time this happened,when gustaffson had the same choke,Diabate thought fuck it,I'm not turning on to my back to get pounded again,so i may as well tap to this one.

The choke didn't make him tap IMO,he just quit bnecause he was getting dominated
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:37 pm

rewatching it i give akiyama round 1 and 2 pirat
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Yeah Diabaté looked very poor, got easily outstruck by what should be an opponent with less technique standing. As for on the ground, If Gustafsson knew what he was doing, he'd have sunk in that choke alot earlier than he did.

Not sure who gustafsson can face next as he did look good overall, especially standing. Maybe Luiz Cane someone like that?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Im shocked, I havnt seen it yet but the Snake technically is probabally the best at 205, he outstruck Shogun comfortabally and has some big K-1 wins. I cant wait to see this, Ive no Idea how someone outstruck him.... everyone has off dayd I suppose.

Chesty your joking you had Akiyama winning the 2nd round... I gave him the 1st based on the fact Bispings punches had 0 effect, they didnt even turn Akiyamas head where as Akiyamas Jab even damaged Bisping. Thats fair enough Im sure some gave him the 1st but wasnt the 2nd just him plodding forward getting peppered with powderpuff shots? Id say Bisping landed twice as many?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Bisping acting like a prick as usual...

“I don’t want to fight the loser, I wouldn’t mind fighting the winner, but I don’t want to fight losers. I want to fight winners. If they’ve just lost a fight, they’re not doing anything for me. They’re at the back of the line. There are plenty of good contenders. I’ve got to build on this win. One more good solid win against a good name opponent, I think I deserve a title shot. But I need one more win.”

“The Dan Henderson fight, that’s the only fight I’ve lost at middleweight. I know it’s controversial to say it, but I feel I beat Wanderlei Silva. Other than that, I’ve beaten Wanderlei, Denis Kang, Dan Miller, now Akiyama, so I feel I’m ready. But obviously there are other guys out there in the same position. One more victory over one of those guys puts me there.”

You would think Bisping would be happy to fight the loose who will still probabally be top 10 when he isnt top 10.

What a prick, if a higher ranked guy is coming off a loss is still ranked over him he should consider it a step up. I say let him get beat down by Wanderlei again. I love him saying he won, The picture of him in a heap and Wanderlei celebrating really sums up the fight, Bisping got put down and a punch away from being finished and he thinks he won! Laughing What a bitter prick the fact Matt Hamill was robbed against him you think he would just accept sometimes decisions arent going to be handed to you!

I really want Wanderlei to rematch him insted of fighting Leben.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 5:23 am