THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+18
Moose Stuff For Money...
kavik2
Dogbomb
Paddyjock
ChelseaQuinsfan
wilksdaman
Ronwah
Once Mohawked Pete
GSPfan11
Sly Uses
rorymc7
Additional Generic
Raiden
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
poz
The_Axe_Emperor
22 posters

UFC 116 Review

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 116 Review Empty UFC 116 Review

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Carwin smashed Lesnar, gassed out, Lesnar submitted Carwin. I don't think ANYONE predicted that Lesnar would be pulling off an arm triangle choke! Certainly not me anyway. Velasquez next for Lesnar, wonder who for Carwin... JDS-Nelson winner maybe?

Another random submission came when Chris Leben managed to pull off a triangle choke on Akiyama and make him tap! What a two weeks for The Crippler! Really happy for the guy, he always comes to put on a show and he called out Wanderlei after the fight too, now THAT would be a war.

Chris Lytle and Matt Brown went toe-to-toe as expected and Brown nearly submitted Lytle in the first with a tight d'arce choke that looked like it was gonna win it for Brown, but there's just so much heart in Lytle he rallied back and finished brown in the second with what he calls his "double submission Laughing

As expected, again, the Bonnar-Soszynski fight was a W.A.R. This time Bonnar stepped up to the mark and stopped Soszynski on second round strikes after keeling him over with a massive knee. Glad Bonnar one as he's a really funny, humble guy and he always puts on a show. "You know me. I like winning ugly, and boy do I look ugly right now"

George Sotiropoulos yet again showed what an amazing fighter he is! Once again showed great striking and ground skills. Pellegrino dropped him in the third but George had dominated and it wasn't enough. Sotiropoulos moved one step closer to a title shot with a unanimous decision.

Also in the prelims, Brendan Schaub looked very good, scoring an early TKO of Brock's teammate Tuschehrehcshchserher. Ricardo Romero came back and submitted Petruzelli with an armbar. Kendall Grove looked good as he won a close close fight with Goran Reljic. Gerald Harris Rampaged David Branch into next week in the third round of their fight, he also showed great class and sportsmanship as he held back on a hammerfist as he seen Branch was out of it, good to see. Dan Roberts outpointed (just) Forrest Pets, split decision and Jon Madsen unanimous decisioned Karlos Vermola.

All in all it was a great night of fights and i have gained much more respect for Lesnar for the heart he showed and for how humble he was after as well. Thoughts?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 116 Review Empty Re: UFC 116 Review

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Submission of the Night: Brock Lesnar

Never thought i'd see the day pale
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:38 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Submission of the Night: Brock Lesnar

Really, I thought Lytle's was better! But as the UFC's main man, I guess Brock was always gonna get that!
    Fair play to him though, he took a pounding, and bounced back. I was suprised how Carwin gassed? You could see as he was raining them down they were getting slower and slower!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Razz Last night was so funny....

The UFC hype machine got shown up BADLY.

Both fighters in the main event were completley terrible.

I'll start with Brock.
    He has no striking skills on his feet....none. Did you see him try to punch Carwin with his straight right? he just ran up and threw it off balance and missed completley. When Shane Carwin started wailing with his slow, telegraphed punches, Brock turned his back and ran, when under pressure from Shane he crumbled like a dry leaf. He went straight into the fetal position and hung on for dear life, i think some referees would have stopped that in a regular fight (benefit of doubt often goes to the champ)...then when Carwin took a breather from wailing on Brock's arms, and stepped back, Brock didn't turn and show Shane his feet, instead he lay still and gave Shane the side mount. affraid

...but fortunatly for Brock, the UFC only use 5 minute rounds and it was over.

Carwin:
    Once he hit Brock with his punches and Brock crumbled....Carwin punched him in the arm about 100 times. PICK YOUR SHOTS. He was stupid. He gassed out horribly at the end of the round.

In the second round he got taken down...much like Brock he has no game at all from his back, and he gets submitted by a guy who is pretty much a newb at submissions still.

horrible fight.

======

Co main event.

I thought Akiyama won the first round easily, in the second round he gassed, but he was hurting Leben with his punches, and i thought he won that round aswell.
    By the third round he was totally gassed and he was controlling his way to a decision until the triangle choke.
    Nice win for Leben.
    However i am dissapointed because i think Akiyama could have done so much better, if he had more cardio he would have won for sure. Also, ever since he took of his gi he seems reluctant to do submissions, he had good chances to submit Leben in that fight. I know its harder to submit people without the gi but i think he needs to train more without it.....just a theory.

====

Sotiropolous looked slick as always, got a scare late on but i was still impressed by him, he was picking him apart and dominating the grappling.

i'm a bit fuzzy about the rest of the fights but here are some of my thoughts.

Reljic could have been given that decision, he would have definitley won if only he had been more agressive!!!

Bonnar and Sosynski are warriors, i am fan of them booth, happy to see Bonnar win though.

Lytle is on quite a good streak now, good win for him.

I am dissapointed by Petruzelli, i love his style and he looked good until the end of the fight.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:49 pm

ppozma wrote:

Really, I thought Lytle's was better! But as the UFC's main man, I guess Brock was always gonna get that!
    Fair play to him though, he took a pounding, and bounced back. I was suprised how Carwin gassed? You could see as he was raining them down they were getting slower and slower!

he is pretty much shown up as a poor man's Bob Sapp.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:53 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    ppozma wrote:

What a nasty thing to say!!!! Smile Smile
    I would add that Sotiropoulos was very impressive for me very flexible on fought well from underneath.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:56 pm

ppozma wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:
    ppozma wrote:

What a nasty thing to say!!!! Smile Smile

it's a compliment, at least Sapp knocked out a decent striker or 2 before he was shown up.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Cain will destroy Lesnar when they fight IMO. Lesnar was shown up really badly. He only won that fight because he gassed slower than Carwin.

Fedor and Overeem would destroy Lesnar and Carwin IMO.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Laughing

you two are so predictable,it was even mentioned last night,near enough exactly what was going to be said.

Carwin was good and was going to beat Brock 24 hrs ago,now he another version of Bob sapp Rolling Eyes

Brock without adoubt was getting schooled in the 1st rd by a guy that throws punches that nobody has survived yet,not gonzaga nor Mir,and that upper cut would of finished 90% of fighters there and then,but the differance is,he did survive and showed he does have a chin.He didn't freak out and covered up well,he took some big shots,that like I said shots that nobody else has survived from.

Then as most thought once brock gets on top,you are basicly fooked,he was calm,didn't rush any thing and showed a huge improvement in the mental side.

Without a shadow of a doubt the No1 HW now and imagine what he will be like after 10-12 fights,when his striking tightens up,adds more subs to his game and more importantly has the experience.

Overall Brocks skills outside of wrestling are sloppy,but they are improving.He is so powerful though,that he can get away with it now,all he needs to do is get the takedown and get on top and you are doomed.
    I can't see anyone in the division stuffing his shot,unless you have the similar size like Carwin.
    Cain without adoubt has the skills and I rate him to beat near enough any other HW,but I think his style and size and lack of punching power (yes I know he sparked Nog,but that was one fight,every other fight he's had his punches have been criticized for being soft)will be totally wrong to fight brock.
    (unless he can keep getting up from the takedown and tire Brock out)

I think it's more likely going to be a one shot KO or someone that has a good submission game that are going to be the ones to beat Brock.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:55 pm

payneNglory1 wrote: Laughing

you two are so predictable,it was even mentioned last night,near enough exactly what was going to be said.

Carwin was good and was going to beat Brock 24 hrs ago,now he another version of Bob sapp Rolling Eyes

Brock without adoubt was getting schooled in the 1st rd by a guy that throws punches that nobody has survived yet,not gonzaga nor Mir,and that upper cut would of finished 90% of fighters there and then,but the differance is,he did survive and showed he does have a chin.He didn't freak out and covered up well,he took some big shots,that like I said shots that nobody else has survived from.

Then as most thought once brock gets on top,you are basicly fooked,he was calm,didn't rush any thing and showed a huge improvement in the mental side.

Without a shadow of a doubt the No1 HW now and imagine what he will be like after 10-12 fights,when his striking tightens up,adds more subs to his game and more importantly has the experience.

I actually predicted Brock to win a decision in sloppy gas-fest with a few scares along the way....i was not too far off.

anyway heres the translation into unbiased english:

Brock without adoubt was getting schooled in the 1st rd by a guy that throws punches that have knocked out 2 fighters with poor chins, and that upper cut would of finished 90% of lightweights there and then,but the differance is,he ran away very fast and assumed the fetal position and showed he is afraid of getting hit. He freaked out and covered up for dear life,he took some big shots on the arm, that like I said shots that nobody else has survived from without getting a bruise on the arm.

Then as most thought once you gas in a fight,you are basicly fooked,he was big,didn't rush any thing and showed a huge improvement in the after-speech side.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Lesnar was awful last night and comes out with his reputation in tatters. Carwin needs to work on his gas tank but other than that he proved he's better than Lesnar last night.

Chesty's post is spot on. Any claims that Lesnar comes out looking good are simply delusional mumblings from someone who believes far too much of what Dana White said.

Cain will beat Brock and I think he'll make him look very bad doing it. Cain has great wrestling and will avoid takedowns, he's a much better striker than Carwin although he doesn't hit as hard but his cardio is like that of a LHW and he will simply outwork Lesnar and finish him.

Sub of the night was a complete joke, Lytle's was brilliant! His transition from mount to mounted triangle was incredible. Far better than Lesnar's sub.

SexyAma should really consider 170 IMO. He looked so much smaller than Leben. I don't want Leben to fight Wandi. I fear Wandi's chin could get cracked.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Oh, Lebens "i beat his ass" claims after his fight were laughable, he was clearly losing that fight and got lucky because Sexyama gassed and his corner failed him. Sexyama could have hung on in the triangle had he known there was only 20 seconds left. His corner should have been screaming to let him know what was on the clock.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:28 pm

One other thing, how the UFC could claim that last night was the biggest fight ever in the heavyweight division is just beyond me. Lesnar-Couture was bigger, Lesnar - Mir 2 was bigger who can forget Tim Sylvia - Jeff Monson!

Ok, maybe not the last one, but certainly the other two.

Dana also claimed it was the biggest HW fight ever, complete garbage obviously as the top 4 HWs in the world were in Pride at one point and other than Fedor-Barnett they all fought each other. This wasn't as big as Nog-Fedor or CroCop-Fedor.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Sub of the night was a complete joke, Lytle's was brilliant! His transition from mount to mounted triangle was incredible. Far better than Lesnar's sub.

Now that I will agree with you.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

UFC 116 Review Empty What the fuck?

Post  Raiden Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:08 pm

what the fuck are some of ye on about-the biasedness of some of you is still ridiculous

For those of you that failed to acknowledge Lesnars toughness- after coming back from a life threatening illness battling through and geeting hit by one of the biggest punchers in the world repiditively for the first round. I'm sure he had a lot of soul searching for his first fight back after his ordeal-his comeback regardless of carwins gassing was impressive and I was delighted for him.

Speaking of gassing? akiyama Leben was a good fight I thought. Leben landed a lot of good strikes. Ya I thought Sexyama was going to win until Leben turned it around. Leben stepped up to that fight after a break of two weeks and gave it to Akiyama. Id say getting a nice few boxes from the crippler didnt help akiymam's gas tank. C hris deserved that fight-give credit where its due and quit the biasnessed.

I've watched a lot of Strikeforce lately. The general standard in UFC is far far better-it's the top MMA organisation.

I'm confident that I dont pass much heed on what Dana says he's promoting the ufc and he's doing a pretty decent job at it. What would any of you about promoting an organisation. Strikeforce is a joke of a setup in camparison. They're Heavyweight champion fights every once in blue moon. so dont be so patronising in saying that I am fed by the Dana ballonie>

My last piece is to quit the UFC anti-brigade. I really liked the armbar at first but I wont be arsed looking here anymore.

Have fun in your bum boy captain planet nostalgic little group...

and fuck off!!! I think the people I'm on about will know who they are. I am sick of listening to ye
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Raiden wrote:what the fuck are some of ye on about-the biasedness of some of you is still ridiculous

For those of you that failed to acknowledge Lesnars toughness- after coming back from a life threatening illness battling through and geeting hit by one of the biggest punchers in the world repiditively for the first round. I'm sure he had a lot of soul searching for his first fight back after his ordeal-his comeback regardless of carwins gassing was impressive and I was delighted for him.

Speaking of gassing? akiyama Leben was a good fight I thought. Leben landed a lot of good strikes. Ya I thought Sexyama was going to win until Leben turned it around. Leben stepped up to that fight after a break of two weeks and gave it to Akiyama. Id say getting a nice few boxes from the crippler didnt help akiymam's gas tank. C hris deserved that fight-give credit where its due and quit the biasnessed.

I've watched a lot of Strikeforce lately. The general standard in UFC is far far better-it's the top MMA organisation.

I'm confident that I dont pass much heed on what Dana says he's promoting the ufc and he's doing a pretty decent job at it. What would any of you about promoting an organisation. Strikeforce is a joke of a setup in camparison. They're Heavyweight champion fights every once in blue moon. so dont be so patronising in saying that I am fed by the Dana ballonie>

My last piece is to quit the UFC anti-brigade. I really liked the armbar at first but I wont be arsed looking here anymore.

Have fun in your bum boy captain planet nostalgic little group...

and fuck off!!! I think the people I'm on about will know who they are. I am sick of listening to ye

Ooh, well don't listen then? Just a thought?

I've just watched the main event again, and as Chesty says, Lesnar was almost turning his back a couple of times. There is no doubt that Carwin can hit, but surely he must have known he wouldn't finish fights in the 1st round forever? Big men I know but such bad cardio.
    It was nice to see that Lesnar is trying to develop a ground game, rather than just lay and top and drop bombs. It was a shite fight, but I don't dislike him quite as much as I did now, and I can't explain that! scratch

Last edited by ppozma on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

UFC 116 Review Empty Do you understang english mate?

Post  Raiden Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm no longer listening to that crap-I dont need you to tell me but thanks anyway

ppozma-what sort of a name is that?

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Raiden wrote:I'm no longer listening to that crap-I dont need you to tell me but thanks anyway

ppozma-what sort of a name is that?

Ah Raiden, please don't diss the name I was born with!!!!! Very Happy
    Additional Generic
    Additional Generic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Additional Generic Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Brock Lesnar won: Fact

Chris Leben won: Fact

Everything else is just the inane ramblings of attention seeking fools.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Additional Generic wrote:Brock Lesnar won: Fact

Thanks man, am I making enemies without knowing how?
    You are correct in what you say, but aren't forums about debate? If we all agreed about everything, what would be the point of this forum?
    And I really disagree with what Raiden said, people on here have put me on to some cracking fights, and helped with my knowledge of a sport I really enjoy. I don't care about UFC or Pride or Strikeforce particularly, but most of the contributors have something to offer.
    No I ain't gay Very Happy
    rorymc7
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  rorymc7 Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:49 pm

"Lesnar was awful last night and comes out with his reputation in tatters" Anfield it's kinda hard to see how you could come up with that opinion on last nights fight, Carwin picked his shots well last night, caught Brock a couple of times, the uppercut looked a great shot(better than the one that finished Mir IMO), Brock was in all kinds of trouble and was lucky to survive but survive he did.

I thought he actually did quite well covering up and responding when told by the ref to show he was still in the fight, showed a bit of calmness under pressure for me by covering up and picking his times to fight back. Maybe if Carwin had shown the same calmness we'd have a new champ? But Carwin gassed and Brock finished him.

You have to give Lesner some credit surely for showing a bit of balls in only his 6th MMA fight and barring a bit of over excitement in his first fight(the same mistake the experienced Fedor made last week) he'd have a perfect record against decent level opposition!
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Additional Generic wrote:Brock Lesnar won: Fact

what's the point of a forum then?

Brock's striking didnt look as good as I thought it would and he's not too hard to hit. His shot was stuffed by Carwin when he wasnt gassed. Carwin couldnt stop Gonzaga's takedown and had trouble taking Mir down so although being NCAA Div.2 champion we hadnt seen much of a translation of those skills into MMA yet. The upside for Brock is that he recovered well and gained valuable experience in doing so. Carwin needs to work on his conditioning, maybe shed some muscle if all else fails.

Before the fight I thought Carwin would be able to keep the fight standing for long enough to get the TKO. I was nearly right, and I didnt think Carwin's cardio was going to be that bad. At this point in his career I think Overeem and Fedor would beat Brock, but Cain has a decent chance too and Id bet on him at even odds. All three of those matchups could go either way though and with every fight Brock is going to get better.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Raiden, you have yourself a happy fuck off you daft little cunt. you won't be missed.

Additional Generic, thanks for coming out. Good to see you read Wikipedia rather than watching the fight.

Rory, Lesnar got destroyed in the first round. He ran away and then curled into a ball. Carwin lost his head and threw the fight away. Lesnar gets credit for having a hard set of arms, that's about it.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm sure I'll be accused of being baised for this even though I predicted Akiyama to win in the prediction league,but I did think that Akiyama would gas again like he did against Belcher(I felt Belcher won that fight)I was just hoping he would of done enough in the 1st two rds and not get stopped to win a decision,which as it turned out,I don't think he would of got if it went the distance.

I scored the the 1st rd to Akiyama and the second to Leban,Leban would of also won the last rd IMO if it went to a decision making Leban win the fight 29-28.

Anfeild and Chesty do really know there stuff when it comes to MMA and share some good vids and info,overall they are good lads,(Anfeilds very agressive and sometimes well over the top in his opinions and name calling Very Happy ),but when either one calls anyone out for being Baised,well you just have to laugh at there hypocracy and take it with a pinch of salt.

It always comes back to us being Dana drones or something along those lines,(it's there favourite most common put downs),if you say anything positive about the best,most successful Org in MMA,they won't be having any of it and anyone with a descent record fighting outside the UFC in weaker Orgs will always be better in there opinion,I mean it's not as if we can make our opinions by what we see is it Wink

Anyway there is only one person I feel bad for after last nights main event is Pete,for putting his 250 quid World cup winnings on Carwin winning,after the first rd he must of been jumping for joy,then a minute or so later the poor guy was sick pale
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:38 pm

You're anti-EVERYTHING that's not UFC. I just dislike Dana and this retarded opinion that if it's not the UFC, it's not good enough. And i dislike the over-hyping of UFC fighters, such as Lesnar, who haven't proven themselves to be at the level of true greats, such as Fedor.

And who the fuck are you calling aggressive?? Laughing Twisted Evil

Gotta feel bad for Pete!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:41 am