THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+18
Moose Stuff For Money...
kavik2
Dogbomb
Paddyjock
ChelseaQuinsfan
wilksdaman
Ronwah
Once Mohawked Pete
GSPfan11
Sly Uses
rorymc7
Additional Generic
Raiden
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
poz
The_Axe_Emperor
22 posters

UFC 116 Review

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 116 Review - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 116 Review

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:47 am

I like Lesnar to an extent, i wanted him to beat Randy and Mir.
    He is a funny guy.

I don't dislike him, i severly resent him. Laughing

he is ranked #1 apparently, and the highest earning man in mma, after 5 fights, and when he clearly is not a very skilled fighter compared to most high level guys.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am

Paddyjock wrote:Hey peeps just popped on to make sure you were all behaving and getting on with each other...

Oh shit!!!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Paddy! good of you to stop by.

we're a man down Sad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:50 am

payneNglory1 wrote:Apart from Fedor and Werdum(oh and Cyborg Smile )

None of those fighters are top 15 never mind top 10.

Josh Thomson is a top 15 LW who has been top 10.

Cung Le has been top 10 although MW is a weak division.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:50 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:(edit:just realised how long this post is....damn.)

what the hell is going on in here??

Shocked

Raiden is leaving?? shame to lose a member, but if you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, then you shouldn't be posting on internet forums!

anyway, there are some good points to make about Lesnar's performance. I think he has a fantastic top game, albeit against a gassed wrestler/brawler, but he also showed it against Mir.
    he seems to be able to take a punch without getting knocked out, although that certainly does not mean he is comfortable taking punches. hell no.

he turned and ran for his life! what should he have done? clinched up? dropped for a leg when his opponent was coming forward? thrown back?
    anyway, ive said the negative things about that main event already on the first page, so i'm not going to repeat himself.

(just a couple of thoughts:
    has brock got the worst striking in the division?...and is Carwin the evolution of the heavyweight division....or a buff Tank Abbott?)

On to the UFC vs the rest debate, i'm going to post some of the reasons why i will support the rivals of the UFC.

Here are some facts first:
    1. The UFC is the biggest MMA promotion in the world, by a distance.
    2. They have the highest level of fighters, in general.

Some of the way that they run the promotion is disgusting to me, these are some problems that other promotions don't have.

Firstly we have the figure head (biggest knobhead) of the promotion, Dana fuckin White.
    This guy is a two faces, dishonest, greedy, lying piece of shit.
    NOTHING he said can be taken in earnest, if it isn't lining his pockets, he shits all over it.
    When the UFC were trying to sign Fedor he said (paraphrasing)
    "I am doing everything i can to get the best heavyweight in the world, Fedor to fight in the octagon"

this week he said:
    "Fedor Emelianenko is a fake, a phony and a farce, even when you put him against cans he can't win."

he also told the lie "we don't sign fighters coming of a loss"

the reason he said this things is not because he beleives them, but because Fedor is a man who will not suck up to Dana White, he will not be controlled by him, he is a man who doesn't buy into the UFC hype machine that you must be in the UFC if you want to succeed as a fighter, and therefore will not "sell his soul" to ZUFFA. Dana hates this.

I think Dana could be the reign holding MMA back. This guy is a foul mouthed fake hard man, as what is effectively the figurehead of MMA. Is that really the image we want for MMA?

You can say certain things about how he made the sport bigger, but what i said is totally true.

Other things i don't like about the UFC is the way they promote MMA. To me when i watch the UFC, with all the nu-metal music, everyone has a skull somewhere on their clothing, the fighters, their coaching teams, at the weigh ins even Bruce buffer has it....that fucking Gladiator!!!! he pisses me off....this isn't a blood sport, no-one is fighting to the death here...they don't use swords!

It perpetuates the wrong image, i despise it.....and then there is the cage, the perfect fighting arena to go along with this created image that the sport has in the west. Its a cage!!! Chickens fight in cages.
    the KSW and M1 promoters have said they will never go near a cage because it is not acceptable in Europe, this speaks volumes.
    The cage is a gimmick for UFC 1, they used it because the crocodile filled moat idea was too far fetched.

then there is the match making.

Karlos Vermola vs Jon Madsen.
    why??
    Vermola is one of the most aggressive fighters ever, and he is matched up to one of the most notorious blankets in the UFC.

most of the matchups make no sense to me.

anyway all this ranting i have gassed out. rabbit

I will just say that Strikeforce promoting in a similar fashion to the boxing...which is almost completely accepted in the mainstream, is good for MMA.
    And DREAM promoting a more family friendly entertainment package (minimal blood) compared with the UFC is also good for MMA.

Immense posting o hairy chested one.

I fucking hate that gladiator as well!
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

UFC 116 Review - Page 3 Empty reply

Post  Raiden Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Sorry about the agressiveness in my post I was out on the sauce all weekend.

I do appreciate your views and who am I to say what is fact its everyones opinion.

I could never really leave ye

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Well done Raiden Very Happy
    We knew you couldn't leave this board,it's like crack Twisted Evil

You say what you want to say mate

especially to that angry scouse supporting git Razz
    Dogbomb
    Dogbomb
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

UFC 116 Review - Page 3 Empty UFC 116

Post  Dogbomb Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I can't understand why this thread has gone so crazy!
    UFC 116 was one of the best events I can remember.

Good undercard (including 'that' powerslam)
    Fights that made me jump out of my seat (and that was hard as I was on a bean bag) - Bonnar Soszynsky, Leben Akiyama.

Questions answered - Is Brock beatable? does Carwin gas?

Great Stories - Lesnar almost dying, coming back and winning against the odds, an aussie lightweight contender, Leben's two wins in two weeks.

Great quotes - Brock being so humble (was this real? and how prepared was his speech!), Bonnar with his pints of blood and saying - I love you Joe Rogan.

Thoroughly entertaining. Let's remember that whilst the UFC and Dana are not perfect, the name of the game is entertainment.

We are lucky we don't have to pay $50 for events!

Whilst I have my favourites, I feel like a lot of MMA fans are guilty of supporting fighters and not fights. Sometimes this leads to pretty lop sided views of contests and people spitting the dummy when their favs lose.

Lighten up everyone. UFC 116 was awesome.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Dogbomb wrote:I can't understand why this thread has gone so crazy!
    UFC 116 was one of the best events I can remember.

Good undercard (including 'that' powerslam)
    Fights that made me jump out of my seat (and that was hard as I was on a bean bag) - Bonnar Soszynsky, Leben Akiyama.

Questions answered - Is Brock beatable? does Carwin gas?

Great Stories - Lesnar almost dying, coming back and winning against the odds, an aussie lightweight contender, Leben's two wins in two weeks.

Great quotes - Brock being so humble (was this real? and how prepared was his speech!), Bonnar with his pints of blood and saying - I love you Joe Rogan.

Thoroughly entertaining. Let's remember that whilst the UFC and Dana are not perfect, the name of the game is entertainment.

We are lucky we don't have to pay $50 for events!

Whilst I have my favourites, I feel like a lot of MMA fans are guilty of supporting fighters and not fights. Sometimes this leads to pretty lop sided views of contests and people spitting the dummy when their favs lose.

Lighten up everyone. UFC 116 was awesome.

Well said. What slam? I'm afraid I'm guilty of not watching the prelims....
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:23 pm

I enjoyed the main event, it was edge of your seat stuff as you waited for the bombs to land.

It really made me think though, UFC started to showcase the talents of gracie jiu-jitsu, to show how the small guy through dedication and technique can beat a much bigger more powerfull guy - it is almost as if we have now gone in complete reverse....

Yes I know the sport has moved forward along way since the early days, but watching Lesnar Vs Carwin was like playing with two Rock em Sock em Robots - if anyone can remember back that far..

If you watch Carwin's training programme you would think he was a professional power lifter, which would explain why you get 3 minutes of hammerpunches (no technique) before his tank is completely empty.

I really hope that Cain goes on to top the UFC heavyweiqhts, I dont want to see admittedly great athletes with enormous power bludgeon there way to a win, does anyone really want to see the sport go that way??

Before I am jumped on, I am not having a go at Brock or the UFC, just making my observation about Power over technical ability.
    rorymc7
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  rorymc7 Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Kavik that seems to be the way the HW division is going but it's the same in all sports(not just combat) that the bigger stronger guys generally beat the little guy, the training that guys like Lesner go through is amazing but more geared towards the physical side than the skills.

Still great fights to watch as spectacles but i think when looking at the best technical fights we'll have to look to the lower weight classes.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:30 pm

i think you will see more and more dropped nfl players moving into mma over the next few years, think cain v's stock has grown over the last month without fighting,
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Well done Raiden Very Happy
    We knew you couldn't leave this board,it's like crack Twisted Evil

You say what you want to say mate

especially to that angry scouse supporting git Razz

Who on earth are you talking about??? Twisted Evil
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Yeah the more technical fighters are from WW and below,thats why on nearly every WEC card,there is a candidate for fight of the year.
    With the new breed of Athletic monsters coming through and the 60 lb weight differance in the HW division,I think it's going to go on for a while where the biggest are going to be the dominant HW's.
    Though saying that,the next generation of fighters coming through are solely training in MMA now and don't come from any certain background,so I think they will be more prepared in all aspects of the game and will eventually have a big advantage over these guys that just have certain areas where they are great and are weak in others.
    This sport is still in it's infancy afterall and things can change so fast.

UFC 116 was a great card from top to bottom,We have been spoiled with great MMA over the last few months,it's definitely been on the top of it's game.

Since April

UFC 112: Invincible,not shit but disapointing Smile
    UFC 113: Machida vs. Shogun 2, Very Happy
    UFC 114: Rampage vs. Evans, Very Happy
    UFC 115: Liddell vs. Franklin, Very Happy
    UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin, Very Happy

Strikeforce: Nashville,like 112,not shit but disapointing Smile
    Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery, Very Happy
    Strikeforce: Los Angeles, Very Happy
    Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum, Very Happy

WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber(Garcia vs Zombie), cheers Very Happy
    WEC 49: Varner vs. Shalorus, Very Happy

The whole of Bellator season 2, Very Happy
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 pm

Anyone got a video link to Harris v Branch?

I do enjoy a good slam KO.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:53 pm

UFC 116 Review - Page 3 2vkhs3o
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:19 am

Thats one of the sweetest slam KO's I've ever seen,the fore arm on the chin/neck just made it all the more devastating Twisted Evil

Great to see him pull back aswell and not keep pounding him,when he saw Branch was out,great show of sportsmanship and control.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:37 am

Yeah Payne everyone I watched it with said that it showed a lot of sportsmanship after Harris not clocking him! Great slam KO! Loved it. Best event in ages for sure.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 am

It was a great event Ben,from top to bottom.

I just remembered a bit in the Lytle - Brown fight that I thought i'd bring up.

I don't know if it was just me,but I thought that Lytle,when caught in that choke early on,tried to deliberatly do a Joe Son on browns balls,to get out of it,and risk getting the point deduction,did anyone else notice that?

I think he missed and Brown ended up releasing it anyway,but I thought the intension was there.

I think according to the rules it would only be a point deduction and not a DQ,so do you think this would be considered a smart move to get out of the choke,lose a point and still be in the fight,or is it just blatent cheating ?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 am

Wow I missed that one! gotta rewatch that... Crazy you get a by ball on the first foul! Some rules need sorting dont they! Than cant be right though its hard to prove there was intention behind it unless its straight up Yvel eye gouging.

I love how we have seen a TKO win from an Eyepoke and a Headbutt recently too Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 am

i noticed that Payne, i would say give him the benefit of the doubt though, it wasn't obvious he was going for the nuts. Wink
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I am so dissapointed in everyone at the start of this thread.

I mean starting a mudslinging scrap on this forum without me Laughing

Im away at the moment but i did catch the main event. It wasnt pretty but credit where its due to Brock, he took some shots from Carwin, that most people would have either been stopped or given up. Brock should have been trying to take it to the ground from the start, even though Carwin was anticapating it, he chose the wrong fight to try and show people his striking.

But still Brock comes out victorious, against what i believe is the toughest match up for him. Cain is going a very tough fight for sure, but Shane was the guy who could match Brocks strenght and size and had power in his hands. (although not enough it seems affraid )

Im dissapointed to hear that Sexyama lost. But atleast Schaub won cheers . Did Vermola lose? thats a shame. Crying or Very sad

Dont miss me too much guys. What a Face

George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:05 am

I'm still in state of shock teh sex got subbed by Chris fucking Leben although Rogan & Dingus say he is huge in Asia I bet the Japanese are loving this especially a certain Gracie Killer, Sexyama cardio was shocking and probably would have stopped Leben in the 2nd who out on his feet if had better cardio Sad

Carwin pissed his fight against the wall he would have stopped Lesnar If surprise, surprise he has some cardio I really was expecting Lesnar to steamroll him man was I surprised Lesnar showed heart and ermmmmm....did I mention heart ?

Lesnar's days as UFC champion seem to be numbered he was badly exposed Saturday I have never seen a more vulnerable or poorer champion since the late Evan Tanner The way Lesnar crumbled after a tame looking uppercut was surprising If I was Dana I would set up a trilogy with Frank Mir because I see Cain running trough him.

The rest of the card was pretty good good wins for George and Stephan's Boner and a great sub by Lytle (how the fuck did he not win sub of the night ?) but the man who keeps impressing me is Gerald Harris he has looked like a monster since his return to Zuffa I hope they reward him with a big showcase fight.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 pm

116 just confirmed to me that Fedor would beat both Carwin and Lesnar. Both had disgraceful technique on the ground and gassed within the first round. I suppose the irony is that in Carwin's first fight that has gone out of round one, he should lose it to what was a weak sub. The UFC fanboys will love that he has a sub on his record, and of course that means he would beat Fedor Neutral . Fair do's for Lesnar's chin, to keep going under that punishment and still have the brain cells to remember what an arm triangle is is good going Smile

Oh yeah, and that slam is awesome, one of the best I've seen Very Happy .
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:56 pm

haha, I love Joe Silva's expression in the background during that slam.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Laughing Never noticed that.

Carwin's reaction...
    Anyone who questions my cardio should come and train with me. We trained for a twenty-five minute fight but things go wrong. It happens. I basically had an adrenaline dump towards the end of the first (round) and I was unable to recover in between rounds. I think the biggest factor of the adrenaline dump was hearing Rosenthal say, `Brock I am going to stop it,’ and then not stopping it. He said it at least three different points in the round, and each time I went for the finish and it never came. It sucked the wind and life out of me.

I am surprised by how many people view their jobs as an obstacle to chasing your dreams. The job has allowed me to become the fighter I am today; it has not hindered me in any way. I find it insulting that people do not understand that. Ask any of the pro fighters I train with if they out train me or think I could be a better fighter if I was in the gym more. Fact is I might be the one in the gym the most.

My life has a structure to it and I include training into that structure. I am not shooting movies, working on TV shows, or working in a 9-5 bank. I am a full-time fighter, full-time engineer, father and husband. My whole life I have been a multi-sport athlete and was always required to do my fair share around the house and in school. The fundamentals of life came before the pursuit of my dreams.

If I had it to do all over again I would probably go for it again. If some of those hard blows landed he would have been knocked out. This was the biggest fight of my life and I swung for the fences and came up short. Next time, I won’t falter and I will have my hand raised.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:06 pm