THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
the_king
rudeboyben84
pinsman
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
efils_god
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
16 posters

UFC 123 Review

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 123 Review - Page 2 Empty Re: UFC 123 Review

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Brown Pride wrote:No but Dana thinks he was was robbed by the judges, and said he is not cutting him.

It's lucky that Dana doesn't play favourites.

Machida won the fight, thought that it was a poor call, like Anfield, I had Lyoto winning all three rounds. Falcao looked fucking brutal, and Lauzon will be kicking himself today, gassing like that.

Was a decent night of fights though. Almost made up for the horrendous family wedding that I had to go to.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Yep at the end of the day, it doesnt matter who the judges say won the fight. Its Dana's opinion that counts the most. Dana thinks Rampage won so no rematch, Dana thinks Tyson won so no walking papers, Dana thinks Dunham won so gets Kenflo next....

Ah well im happy with all these decisions anyway. Cool
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:57 pm

I think Machida had won the SD, Dana probably would have given a rematch. I don't think Dana White likes Machida at all, because he doesn't have as much drawing power as guys like Shogun and Rampage. I don't know, to me it looks like Machida has been treated like shit by Dana, the only reason he got a title shot in the first place is because of injuries. If I were Machida, I probably would have left by now and would definitley leave now. He has some good fights outside the UFC if he wanted, he could fight Mousasi, Hendo and maybe even Fedor. But I don't think he will, he seems like a very humble guy and his reaction was calm yesterday.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:14 pm

I thought Rampage winning was a bullshit decision,I gave Machida all 3 rds.

Even Rampage himself near enough admitted it was a bullshit decision.

Falcao looked absolutely great when he actually engaged.the last rd spoiled what was a good fight up to that stage for me.

Davis,well what can you say,he is Mr Wonderful,fantastic fighter who mixes his BJJ and wrestling flawlessly.
    I claimed last night,not that this fight would happen yet,but I think if he fought Lil Nog next,he'd win that easily enough.

I enjoyed the Munoz - simpson fight on the Spike card but I thought Brown - Foster fight looked like two sloppy fighters that look out of place fighting at the UFC level.

Goergi Stropodopulus is without a doubt a top level LW,really good fighter that has a cool entertaining style.Lauzon put up a great effort in the first rd,I actually had him winning the rd untill the last minute,but the problem for him,is he's a fighter that starts so explosive and puts so much energy into the start of his fights that he can't keep up that pace for long and will usually slow rapidly after the first rd,which he did,and at the top end of this division guys like Georgi will punish you if you slow down and give them an opening.

Karo,well what can you say apart from thanks for the earlier memories,because you know longer have a place in the UFC.
    Maybe he'd be better off entering a Bellator tourney or hoping Coker would still be interested in giving him the Zaromskis fight.
    Unfortunately for Karo,I don't think he has anything to fall back on money wise,so he's going to have to still go out there and find fights for a paycheck.

Fantastic quick performance for BJ,loved the spectacular finish but was left kinda gutted that we didn't get to see them put on a fight.
    I'm just hoping that this is what BJ needed to get his shit together and refind that hunger.

Barboza was a great breath of fresh air,a fantastic new comer to the UFC,those kicks were nasty,I don't think there was a fan that watched that fight that didn't automatically associate him with Aldo.
    I've got to give credit to lullo though,that's one tough little son of a bitch and with that good show of heart,I'd be gutted if he wasn't given a couple of more chances in the UFC.

Overall though that was a great night of fights and it was fun chatting along with some of the lads on chatbox.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:19 pm

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Must admit i got chills at this entrance.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Can anyone find out how many fights Machida has left with the UFC?
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:53 pm

I thought Rampage won, Machida is way too defensive he doesn't commit to taking the fight on, he just waits and waits... he was circling to much and backing away, and its so fustrating to watch. Why didn't he use his leg kicks more? he would have taken Jackson apart with them! It's been proved that rampage can't handle opponents with decent leg kicks, shogun would destroy him.

Until he starts being the aggressor he's going to get these negative decisions... and as someone pointed out he would be carded in other organisations... sorry guys but I can see why hes not a big draw hes boring as fuck!! (no personality)
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Can anyone find out how many fights Machida has left with the UFC?

Im not sure as i dont remember them ever announcing Machida renewing the contract. They just seem to have picked up his contract when his old promotion went under and never made public how many fights it was, and when he signed an extension.

I do know that he doesnt have a win bonus in his contract, as there was talk on another forum, if Dana took the wins bonus at UFC 104 and gave it to Shogun instead. But it was proven that Machida doesnt get a win bonus. So the $200,000 is the amount he would have taken home anyway.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Brown Pride wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Can anyone find out how many fights Machida has left with the UFC?

Im not sure as i dont remember them ever announcing Machida renewing the contract. They just seem to have picked up his contract when his old promotion went under and never made public how many fights it was, and when he signed an extension.

I do know that he doesnt have a win bonus in his contract, as there was talk on another forum, if Dana took the wins bonus at UFC 104 and gave it to Shogun instead. But it was proven that Machida doesnt get a win bonus. So the $200,000 is the amount he would have taken home anyway.

lol, so the decision probably cost Dana in the region of $150-250 k??
    he reallly likes rampage! Embarassed
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 pm

pinsman wrote:I thought Rampage won, Machida is way too defensive he doesn't commit to taking the fight on, he just waits and waits... he was circling to much and backing away, and its so fustrating to watch. Why didn't he use his leg kicks more? he would have taken Jackson apart with them! It's been proved that rampage can't handle opponents with decent leg kicks, shogun would destroy him.

Until he starts being the aggressor he's going to get these negative decisions... and as someone pointed out he would be carded in other organisations... sorry guys but I can see why hes not a big draw hes boring as fuck!! (no personality)

So in your opinion, plodding forward, not landing any strikes, and using wall and stall is the way to win the fight??
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:11 pm

pinsman wrote:Until he starts being the aggressor he's going to get these negative decisions... )

Cecil Peoples says otherwise.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:42 pm

"Goergi Stropodopulus is without a doubt a top level LW"

hehe legendary miss-spell! Wink
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Fight metric has it 29-29 ?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm

This fight is an example of why those sort of systems don't work. They give Rampage credit for SEVENTY successful strikes. SIXTY of these came when he had Machida pressed against the cage and none were to the head.

How 28 short arm punches to the leg can classify as better than 26 leg kicks i really don't know.

Machida had over twice as many significant strikes, and clearly won the grappling side of things.

Complete joke of a decision.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm struggling to see how they scored it a draw on the 10 point must system,what am i missing?

Striking

RD 1
    Rampage landed 5 out of 26
    Machida landed 12 out of 16

grappling

Rd 1
    Rampage nor machida scored anything

Rd 1 must go to machida

Striking

RD 2

Rampage landed 7 out of 28
    Machida landed 8 out of 11

Ramapage could be given this rd because he landed a similar amount but he was the aggressor and got the one takedown,which he couldn't do anything with.

1-1(I gave this to machida at the time,but admittedly this was the closest rd)

Striking

rd 3
    Rampage landed 4 out of 16
    Machida landed 13 out of 26

grappling

This rd was all machida,he out struck rampage and scored the takedown and did something with it.

I can't see what I'm missing,even using there scoring I get it as a 29-28 Machida win.

Overall
    Rampage threw 70 strikes and landed 16
    Machida threw 53 strikes and landed 33

Rampage went for 1 takedowns and got one takedown
    Machida went for 3 takedowns and got one takedown

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:22 pm

I'll cop a load of shit for this i know it, but i think the Shogun- Machida decision was worse than this one.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Draw was what me and my Brother just called watching it.

Fight metric had Rampage landing a lot more in the 1st, I thought is was 9-9 I though Rampage won the 2nd and Machida dominated the 3rd but not enough for a 10-8. Draw would be fair, Looking at it as an overall fight as lots of us would rather do Machida winning would be fair.

But to be honest glad Machida lost. Machida was banking on the fact he won the 1st round, he kept looking at the clock and stalling, and lost because of GSP tactics. Anfield whats your thoughts on the last round and him not pushing for the finish?

I though hughes would win Laughing How did BJ loose a fight to Edgar. He won the 1st fight, if were going by fight metrics as an official thing Edgar only won a round and drew one. BJ vs Fitch is a great test for BJ because if he can go up against a big wrestler in preperation for another shot at GPS its Ideal... Id love BJ to win another title, the Article about his legacy was shocking to think the most tallented guy in MMA is held so lowly legacy wise. Great showing, I think he could win the 155lbs title without a doubt, I doubt he will win the 170 title.

Barboza = One of my favorite fighters, I love watching guys with that level of Muay Thai do well in MMA. Its a refreshing change.

Sotiropoulos is on a roll, Lauzon has been looking really impressive. Solid win, great fight. Cant wait to see who he is matched up against. Id love to see him vs Gomi down the line.

Falcão is a beast being more physical than Harris is something else. He is one Big Mw, Shame Riviera is fighting Bisping, Id like to see that.

Boetsch was an Ideal opponent for Davis, bad matchmaking, there was only one outcome there. Gustafsson was a great win thinking about it. Who next for him?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Shit misread Compustrike, Machida did win round 1. Clearly. Poor call, I though Machidas name was getting called but round 1 had so little action I wasnt watching and playing ball with my kid! Laughing Have to watch that 1st round again. Seems like a 29-28 Machida was the fair call.

Still those stalling tactics are as much to blame as the shit judging, he rocked Rampage and was on top so should have looked to finish.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 pm

At the end of the day, Judges use a 10 point must scoring system. After every round they have to pick a winner and give him 10 points, and give the loser 9 or 8(very rare).

They dont count every single strike or anything like that, they just sit back and watch through the cage the fight, and decide subjectively who did better in that round.

And when there is very little action, like what we saw in the 1st 2 rounds, them seeing Machida running back and retreating and seeing Rampage moving forward and being the aggressor is exactly what made 2 of the judges say Rampage won the 1st 2 rounds.

Its like Edgar-BJ 1, Edgar looked the busier, he look more active, he looked like he was doing more damage, and he got a 49-46 decision on one of the judges card despite the fightmetric stats showing very different story.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Sotiropoulos is on a roll, Lauzon has been looking really impressive. Solid win, great fight. Cant wait to see who he is matched up against. Id love to see him vs Gomi down the line.

G-Sot is facing Dennis Siver at UFC 127 in Australia Ben.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Anfield it was more than Machida was doing!!! Machida had two flurries in the fight that lasted all of what a minute the guy is TOO DEFENSIVE!! its mind numbingly boring i hate watching him I couldnt give a shit if he left the UFC... hes got great stand up striking but he chooses to stand there and be dull all the time. He got Rampage in a really bad postion on the floor and could have finished the fight but he desided to lay and pray, come on mate you hate people that do that!

He needs to come out in his next fight and smash who ever is infront of him!!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Sollipopolous vs Gomi would be a great fight...

traditionally Gomi has fared badly against BJJ players, but Sofolofolous takedowns looked really poor against Lauzon, and if he stands vs Gomi he WILL get knocked out.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:54 pm

More than Machida was doing?? So walking forward and swinging at air is more than landing actual strikes?? What are you talking about??

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am