THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+19
1972-casual
sunthunder
p4pnumber_1
ChelseaQuinsfan
2brutal
payneNglory1
manschesthair_utd
mikeyboybisping
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
pinsman
Moose Stuff For Money...
superman_punch
Anfields5thKing
Mryzyz
redmeanie77
KalDog
efils_god
The_Axe_Emperor
23 posters

UFC 128 Review

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

UFC 128 Review - Page 5 Empty Re: UFC 128 Review

Post  Mryzyz Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I like Jones the fighter. I love his fighting style, would never miss him fight for fear I'd likely miss something beautiful. Not that bothered about what he says outside the octagon.

What doesn't really sit well with me, is well... I don't feel he is deserving of his immense success at all. Objectively that isn't a good reason to have an element of dislike towards him. He just kept beating all the guys put in front of him. Can't blame him for that.

It's just... he's been so amazingly lucky. Getting a title shot for beating one lower top 10 guy, because of an injury to someone else, and then gets the champ in the worst condition of his life.

I don't feel he has paid his dues. Every good human has an innate desire to see perceived injustice rectified. My gut would like to see JJ take a beating, or be made to have to earn his title properly against a Machida or fighting fit Shogun.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Barbozas kick was something out if tekken or something how on earth he shrugged that off was impressive enough. Very worthy of fight of the night honours alone that fight. I ain't seen the rewards yet but I'd expect that to be in with a shout.

I still can't understand the hate JJ seems to generate. From my perspective yes he is a little cocky, no where near the level of cockiness of other fighters like Ortiz, koscheck, Bisping, Sonnen and many more.

If any of you guys follow Twitter at all then Bones is by far and away the most active poster on there whether it's shout outs to fans or other general info he genuinely has massive interest in his fan base and is very respectful. I haven't found anything he has said come across as cocky or arrogant. You can't just find a dislike to the guy cos he embarrassed Shogun, who is clearly an armbar favourite.

Yes shogun is one of the GOAT but that doesn't mean no one else can be and so far there's very little evidence to suggest he won't go and do the same.

To say he doesn't deserve his success is ridiculous, you don't have to take a beating to deserve the belt. Cain beat a totally shadow of noguiera's former self and went on for a title shot. No one has give Cain a beat down yet.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:16 pm

That's fair enough makes more sense now, still struggling with argument that a fully fit shogun bones wouldn't of got out of the 1st round I'm not saying that is shit I just think its a bit narrow sighted ever way we may never know

Ps u r right about jones arrogance befor the fight signing things champion 2011 was cringing like when you first watched Ricky gervais in the office,
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 pm

superman_punch wrote:Barbozas kick was something out if tekken or something how on earth he shrugged that off was impressive enough. Very worthy of fight of the night honours alone that fight. I ain't seen the rewards yet but I'd expect that to be in with a shout.

I still can't understand the hate JJ seems to generate. From my perspective yes he is a little cocky, no where near the level of cockiness of other fighters like Ortiz, koscheck, Bisping, Sonnen and many more.

If any of you guys follow Twitter at all then Bones is by far and away the most active poster on there whether it's shout outs to fans or other general info he genuinely has massive interest in his fan base and is very respectful. I haven't found anything he has said come across as cocky or arrogant. You can't just find a dislike to the guy cos he embarrassed Shogun, who is clearly an armbar favourite.

Yes shogun is one of the GOAT but that doesn't mean no one else can be and so far there's very little evidence to suggest he won't go and do the same.

To say he doesn't deserve his success is ridiculous, you don't have to take a beating to deserve the belt. Cain beat a totally shadow of noguiera's former self and went on for a title shot. No one has give Cain a beat down yet.

Having read all these posts, I don't think there is any "hatred" towards Jones, just disbelief that he is suddenly rated up there with the top fighters EVER, after beating an obviously out of shape Shogun. He is very good which even his detractors have admitted, but his achievements pale in comparison to those names he is being compared to.

Until he has cleared out his division like Anderson, GSP and Fedor did, maybe then he can be mentioned alongside those names but at the moment, he just doesn't have the record to back that up.

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Mryzyz wrote:I like Jones the fighter. I love his fighting style, would never miss him fight for fear I'd likely miss something beautiful. Not that bothered about what he says outside the octagon.

What doesn't really sit well with me, is well... I don't feel he is deserving of his immense success at all. Objectively that isn't a good reason to have an element of dislike towards him. He just kept beating all the guys put in front of him. Can't blame him for that.

It's just... he's been so amazingly lucky. Getting a title shot for beating one lower top 10 guy, because of an injury to someone else, and then gets the champ in the worst condition of his life.

I don't feel he has paid his dues. Every good human has an innate desire to see perceived injustice rectified. My gut would like to see JJ take a beating, or be made to have to earn his title properly against a Machida or fighting fit Shogun.

He will earn it or not in his next few title defences which should start to silence his critics
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Yes very true he cant be considered one of the GOAT but I never said he was, I said he was on his way and he has the potential to get there. How many years training has the kid had? Like 3 or something, he is blessed with natural ability.

When I compare fighters I obviously take into consideration there achievements and past heroics and Jones shouldn't be no where near considered yet for been one of the GOAT. But he definitely should be considered one of the best current p4p fighters out there. His resume needs bulking out before considered one of the all time greats.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Ginginho thats most intelligent thing anyones posted ha ha!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:33 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Ninja on his brothers loss

"I was very surprised with (Jones’) game, Shogun trained a lot and Jones was able to neutralize [his] game, I think he studied Shogun’s game a lot, so congrats to him. Shogun now needs to go back to Brazil and analyze the fight, see what went wrong and go from there. I think (Jones) has a brilliant future ahead of him, he’s a very young athlete, but in this weight class I think it’s very hard.

People don’t seem to be able to keep the title for more than one fight. Everyone wins and then loses the belt so it’s a very tough weight class and there are a lot of great fighters, so we’ll see. He’s a young guy and will stay strong going forward, but Shogun will be able to make a strong comeback, for sure.

I think (what went wrong during the fight) was the very first strikes Jones landed on Shogun, that knee and the head kick, may have taken his gas away."

UFC 128 Review - Page 5 JONESFLYINGKNEE
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Fucking knew It soon as the fight ended that was the first name that came in to my head.

Schuabb seems to be doing his best to avoid legit threats and fight The Big names at the end of their career. I bet he gets this fight as well. Mad
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:

Ninja on his brothers loss

"I was very surprised with (Jones’) game, Shogun trained a lot and Jones was able to neutralize [his] game, I think he studied Shogun’s game a lot, so congrats to him. Shogun now needs to go back to Brazil and analyze the fight, see what went wrong and go from there. I think (Jones) has a brilliant future ahead of him, he’s a very young athlete, but in this weight class I think it’s very hard.

People don’t seem to be able to keep the title for more than one fight. Everyone wins and then loses the belt so it’s a very tough weight class and there are a lot of great fighters, so we’ll see. He’s a young guy and will stay strong going forward, but Shogun will be able to make a strong comeback, for sure.

I think (what went wrong during the fight) was the very first strikes Jones landed on Shogun, that knee and the head kick, may have taken his gas away."

UFC 128 Review - Page 5 JONESFLYINGKNEE

A tend to ascribe his gassing more to this knee and the shin he ate to the face midway through the first round than the fact he gassed so badly due to his injury lay-off.

Granted it can't have helped, but he took some big shots, knees, etc in the first round and was visibly wobbly after the shin. That's not due to his lay-off.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Cowboy From Hell wrote:

Fucking knew It soon as the fight ended that was the first name that came in to my head.

Schuabb seems to be doing his best to avoid legit threats and fight The Big names at the end of their career. I bet he gets this fight as well. Mad

My first thought was,he's just trying to build up his rep again on the back of taking out another past it former great.(which he probably is)
    After the cro-cop win,I was hoping that he would take on someone like kongo,Struve or Rothwell,but thinking about it,I don't really have a problem with it being against Nog.

I just want to see Nog back in action and I think compared with some fights Nog could have come back too,this one is very winnable for him.

Who would you prefer Nog to fight when he comes back?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:07 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Cowboy From Hell wrote:

My first thought was,he's just trying to build up his rep again on the back of taking out another past it former great.(which he probably is)
    After the cro-cop win,I was hoping that he would take on someone like kongo,Struve or Rothwell,but thinking about it,I don't really have a problem with it being against Nog.

I just want to see Nog back in action and I think compared with some fights Nog could have come back too,this one is very winnable for him.

Who would you prefer Nog to fight when he comes back?

Another problem I have is Schaubb is looking at another fighter coming off a loss every one he has fought has come off a loss barring Big Chris (Although that was a dodgy decision over Hague).

I'd like to see him fight Kongo, Mitrione or even the winner of Russow v Madsen
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:25 pm

I'd like to see Mitrione-Schuab too, but i think Schuab maybe deserves someone a bit higher up after beating two bigger names in Gonzaga and Cro Cop.

Kongo is a good shout but i think he has just got a fight lined up? I forget against who?

(As an aside, i live in France, and Kongo often commentates on UFC events which are shown a week later over here. He comes across as pretty clueless to be honest!)

Not sure who else he could fight at this stage....Struve? I think Schuab KO's him. What about Pat Barry?

Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:That's actually a great point. All you need to do is look at Shogun's body last night and his body against Forrest and Coleman. And then compare it to the Machida fights.

i was saying this while he entered on saturday seemed to be carrying a little extra fat than he usually does
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm backing big nog if they do fight I still think he has a lot left, hope they make that fight
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm not sure if he beats Struve,especially after seeing how bad he looked in Cro-cops gaurd,I believe Struve would of easily swept him if he tried them loose passes with him,Struve has a pretty descent ground game and is more than capable of pulling out some good submissions.(that's why I think this could be a good fight for Nog to come back too,after watching the Cro-cop fight)

If it stayed standing then I'd have to agree with you, Schaub should edge it and would probably get the stoppage.

I think it would make for a good fight though.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Only notable heavyweights without a fight lined up at the moment are Shane Carwin, Big Nog and Ben Rothwell, but Carwin and Rothwell are rumoured to be meeting at UFC 131, so as much as I hate Schaub making a name for himself by simply beating well known fighters who are far past their best, Big Nog is probably the likely fight. I fancy Big Nog though, we haven't seen much of Schaub on his back, and in the 10 seconds that Gonzaga remembered he is a BJJ blackbelt and went for a sub he actually had Schaub in trouble, so it's a toss up depending on which Nog turns up.

I wouldn't mind Schaub getting Carwin, it would be nice to see Carwin put him in his place in the form of a round 1 massacre.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:14 pm

They train together so doubt will fight each other

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Sheldan wrote:Only notable heavyweights without a fight lined up at the moment are Shane Carwin, Big Nog and Ben Rothwell, but Carwin and Rothwell are rumoured to be meeting at UFC 131, so as much as I hate Schaub making a name for himself by simply beating well known fighters who are far past their best, Big Nog is probably the likely fight. I fancy Big Nog though, we haven't seen much of Schaub on his back, and in the 10 seconds that Gonzaga remembered he is a BJJ blackbelt and went for a sub he actually had Schaub in trouble, so it's a toss up depending on which Nog turns up.

I wouldn't mind Schaub getting Carwin, it would be nice to see Carwin put him in his place in the form of a round 1 massacre.

Well said, Nog beat Couture in his fight before the Cain loss, in his fight before that he went in the UFC Hw champ.

He has looked seriously old and slow but I think this time off can at least put him back on the for he was in when he beat Couture. Him in that form which is the best we can hope for would make for a great fight with Schaub. He would really be in over his head physically but Schaub isnt Cain or even Mir, I can see this being a winable fight for Nog...

But in my head im seeing a Schaub KO! and another Legend hanging his gloves up Sad
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Mryzyz is spot on with what he's been saying about Bones-Shogun(actually a much better poster than I initially thought).

SupermanSlap, This stuff that Jones has "only been training for 3 years" is complete horseshit. The guy has been training wrestling for about 13 years. Therefore he has been training for 13 years. His striking(from a technical point of view) and BJJ are actually average for someone who has been training for 3 years. His size and body type are the reason he's done so well. It's not like he was just some kid who'd never taken part in any sport and walked into a gym off the street 3 years ago and has improved this much in 3 years. He was one of the top high school prospects when Universities were recruiting him in his senior year. He was a state champion who would have gone to a top University had he had the grades. He went to Junior college instead and became a national champion. He was then offered a full scholarship to Iowa State University but couldn't take it due to personal reasons. This is a guy who's been training and competing for a long time. Not some newcomer. He also happens to be very lucky genitically. He comes from a family of beasts!

97 is his older brother(6'3, 301 lbs):

UFC 128 Review - Page 5 Jones1_aug7_web

99 is his little brother(6'4, 246 lbs):

UFC 128 Review - Page 5 4c8d6260b73ad.image
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Those Jones Brothers all have the same crazy long limbs!!

Havnt posted since the last event. Great event, really a few quality fights the Barboza was superb, both guys are such entertaining figher but im glad Barboza got the nod he looked so impressive in his fight before this... what a kick, I would love to see him against some other 155ers who will stand with him.

Koch has so much potential as well, back to back KO's of the night and his only loss was to Mendes. Cant wait to see this Kid fight again, he didnt turn his hand into the hook and still delivered enough to put his man down for a good few minutes... impressive showing.

Nate didnt look great beating Miller, I think both men might be able to make 170, Nates called out Bisping or said he would go to 170 but I wouldnt mind seeing him fight Vitor or Wanderlei if they dont fight each other... if he cant hang with them then he should try his hand at 170. Miller deffinatley should, its not like he would be stepping on Jim's toes.

Jim is badass through and through, Shalorus has just imposed his will on nearly everyone he has fought, Miller TKOing him is something I didnt see coming, his next fight has to be a number 1 contenders fight. Shame George Sot lost because id have loved to see these two fight, Millers standup really impressed me and he had great finishing, I could see him giving the winner of Guida/Pettis hell.

Schaub looked OK, when you think about it Mir didnt look much better against Crocop... Crocop is done has been for some time now, he just looks dis-interested, even when he is winnin the round its at a slow pace. Not a Huge win for Schaub and he didnt show any spectacular skills but with this win he is verging on top 10, IMO he needs to go after Nelson and not Nog. He needs to see if he can avenge that loss because if he can beat Nelson he never really will be top 10 standard. HE is big and athletic and hits hard but we could say that about any number of heavies. I dont think he will hang with the elite of the devision after that performance, even someone like Kongo might be more of a test for him than GG thinking he is ernerto hoost or a shot to shit Crocop.

Faber looked great, 29-28 was fair I reckon. He really suprised me with his striking, he did a great job of getting in and out and had great speed and accuracy... I dont know if he earned a shot with that win but I thin his previous win over Cruz as well as him being the most famous guy under 155 got him it.

Shogun looked shit, tapped due to strikes, came into the fight in terrible shape. I dont know wether he cant train hard with his knee or if its a classic case of a fighter from a good camp (chuteboxe) going his own way and lower level training partners not pushing him like he needs. Iron sharpens Iron or whatever they say and Shogun in his own gym etc.. might not be pushing himself like he needs to. Bones beat Shogun down badly though, on the feet, on the ground, Shogun may have not been 100%, I dont htink anyone sees it as a victory over the best Shogun weve seen but an 80% Shogun is better than a win over Anyone Rampages level or below... Credit where Credit is due, Bones beat down and stopped Shogun and no one has ever done that. He has gone in against progressivley tougher opposition and looked fantastic each time he has been in the cage.

The Lhw Title hasnt been defended by anyone in god knows how long, If Bones can defend against Evans it would be a huge statement. I think Bones completes the picture of a martial artist in that he has a rounded skillset like Shogun but also has the Physicality of a top athlete and Shogun doesnt. We see guys like GSP and Lesnar make a career of being the most physical guy in the devision so I think its time undersized guys carrying a bit of weight etc.. need to cut (Fedor, Shogun etc..)

Also if no one can beat Bones at 205 I know its premature but with 1 fight on his contract I wonder if Fedor would be a possible opponent?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Fedor has 2 more fights on his contract.

Machida successfully defended his title once. When he gets it back he'll hold it for a long time.

Oh, and Forrest beat him easily and stopped him too.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Forrest tapped him but I dont think Shogun has been stopped before has he? I think Nog is the only person to even get close when he dropped him... or has Shogun been floored before? Still a great achievment to stop him regardless of his condition.

Totally forgot that Machida defended his title, 1st person to hold on to it since Liddell. Machida more or less beat Rampage and Evans, I reckon if he beats Couture he will get next shot... Id love to see how him and Bones style match up because people say Bones is hard to replicate in sparring and so is Machida, I think the fight would boil down to wether Machida is quick enough to tag Bones and get back out of harms way of that 84.5 Inch reach... I hope we see it happen, you think Machida takes his title?

You 100% sure Fedor has 2 more mate? I though I heard he had 1 more then they would renegotiate.... could be wrong. Fedor vs Bones at Hw or 205 would be epic, the ultimate in young up and commer vs old great. Id back Fedor despite recent form and Jones hype, Fedor is the type of fighter who will make you pay for the smallest hole in your game and Bones surely has a few at his age.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:52 am