THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+19
1972-casual
sunthunder
p4pnumber_1
ChelseaQuinsfan
2brutal
payneNglory1
manschesthair_utd
mikeyboybisping
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
pinsman
Moose Stuff For Money...
superman_punch
Anfields5thKing
Mryzyz
redmeanie77
KalDog
efils_god
The_Axe_Emperor
23 posters

UFC 128 Review

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 128 Review - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 128 Review

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

What struck me was Jones literally looked in a different weight class - total domination!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:

I didn't need the fightmetric stats to see that Schaub would of took the decision if it went the distance,anyone that's not swinging from cro-cop nuts or who has a dislike towards Schaub could see it,the stats just happened to conveniently back up exactly as I called it when I checked.

I personally still don't rate Schaub,I think he'll get his ass handed to him if he steps up against one of the top UFC HW's but he was a damn site better on the night than that shell of a fighter,cro-cop.

also from fightmetrics,about the stats.

Not all strikes are created equal

Power matters a great deal. Even a total head strike count means nothing unless you know how many of those strikes were landed with power.

So I took the 12 from 16 to mean significant power strikes and the 22 from 26 to be total strikes.

CroCop was winning the fight. Schaub was fighting with desperation and throw that hail mary because he had nothing else to offer. He knew he was losing the fight.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 pm

And

Ya know me and you agree on everything lol

I had Crocop losing it to chum, it was close but he was losing.

What you've said about jones and shogun!!! I agree 100%

I think rampage, machida and Henderson would take jones out, I also think if shogun was fight ready he would stand a good chance
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am

One thing i'll add afetr seeing the fight again, although Shogun was clearly gassed... Jones in the past once getting an opponent to the ground, freely hits then with GnD... not last night he seemed to struggle with Shogun as he was trying to get under him for the legs. I kinda think it's a shame theres no good BJJ guys at LHW, it getting over ridden with wrestlers and I dont think Jones would be to good with a really good BJJ guy.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:16 am

who knows what will happen in the future? Cool

Spoiler:
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 am

Lyoto and Silva aren't slouches on the ground. Failing that, someone sign Roger Gracie lol
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 am

I doubt we'll ever see Jones V Gracie, by the time Gracie has made the move over to UFC and is knocking on the door for a title shot, Jones will be up at heavyweight tearing things up.

Gracie is a good talent though, I hope Strikeforce use him wisely, there was talk of having him face Mousasi, far to early for that, they need to be patient with his opponent selection.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Here's a question for those discrediting Jones' victory:

why is it that Shogun comes back from injury (9-10 months out i believe) and supposedly gasses in 1 minute (although the knee/kick to the face wouldn't help), but other fighers are able to come back from just as much if not more time off, and have a perfect gas tank?

I don't get this argument that cos he's been out for what, not even a year, it's an excuse to be completely out of shape and gas early.

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Serious Knee injuries are pretty bad It really takes a lot out of you anyone will tell you It takes time and some cases you are never the same no matter what sport you are involved with.

It is no coincidence when Shogun has come from or carrying a Knee injury he has looked soft and very lethargic.

Seeing how the fight played out I think you can certainly make a case that Shogun would have put up a far better fight If 100% but even as a Shogun fan I can honestly say I'm not a 100% sure he would have won the fight.

Jones performed wonderfully on the night he completely shutdown Shogun He took Shogun down at will and never looked in trouble on the ground.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 pm

This event has sent me into a deep depression and I've not even watched the fights. That is literally my entire reaction.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Cowboy From Hell wrote:Serious Knee injuries are pretty bad It really takes a lot out of you anyone will tell you It takes time and some cases you are never the same no matter what sport you are involved with.

It is no coincidence when Shogun has come from or carrying a Knee injury he has looked soft and very lethargic.

Seeing how the fight played out I think you can certainly make a case that Shogun would have put up a far better fight If 100% but even as a Shogun fan I can honestly say I'm not a 100% sure he would have won the fight.

Jones performed wonderfully on the night he completely shutdown Shogun He took Shogun down at will and never looked in trouble on the ground.

I agree, i'm sure it is tough to come back from them. I also agree that, unlike some on here, i'm not sure a 100% fit Shogun, despite maybe putting up a better fight, would have beaten Jones. He was just too good and his style is perfect for beating someone like Shogun.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 pm

His style?? He's a decent wrestler with average striking! He's hyped because he takes risks and he's huge.

A fully fit Shogun at his best finishes Jones in less than a round.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I think a good wrestler with a long reach is ideal to face shogun.

He may be an 'average' wrestler, that doesn't change the fact that he's taken down and brutalised all other fighters he's faced, including fighters who are supposed to rely on wrestling and take-downs. Clearly Shogun, who is susceptible to take downs, it gonna get taken down by this fighter.

Also clearly, yes, Shogun is a better striker, that's why the ideal fighter to face him is a wrestler, to get it to the ground, and is long, to be able to keep the distance, and negate Shogun's striking as much as possible. Shogun got nowhere near Jones at the start of the fight, before it even hit the mat and he gassed...

Just my opinion.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Anfields5thKing, did you leave your pants and lipstick at Shogun's place last weekend?

"A fully fit Shogun at his best finishes Jones in less than a round". Sleep
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Sorry, who are you??

I think you're lost little boy.

Might I suggest http://www.sherdog.com/ might be more suited to you.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Hilarious, you're a complete buffoon!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:39 pm

efils_god wrote:I think a good wrestler with a long reach is ideal to face shogun.

He may be an 'average' wrestler, that doesn't change the fact that he's taken down and brutalised all other fighters he's faced, including fighters who are supposed to rely on wrestling and take-downs. Clearly Shogun, who is susceptible to take downs, it gonna get taken down by this fighter.

Also clearly, yes, Shogun is a better striker, that's why the ideal fighter to face him is a wrestler, to get it to the ground, and is long, to be able to keep the distance, and negate Shogun's striking as much as possible. Shogun got nowhere near Jones at the start of the fight, before it even hit the mat and he gassed...

Just my opinion.

Shogun's lack of fitness meant that he was flat footed. He could have been pushed over with enough force. His poor takedown defence was amplified tenfold by his lack of fitness.

Most wrestlers don't have good takedown defence because it's not something they train.

Jones was too bust jumping around trying to land a flying knee for Shogun to engage him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:39 pm

1972-casual wrote:Hilarious, you're a complete buffoon!

Seriously, who are you?
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Anfield, I'm nobody to you just like you're nobody to me! I just don't spout crap on here all day.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    efils_god wrote:I think a good wrestler with a long reach is ideal to face shogun.

Just my opinion.

Shogun's lack of fitness meant that he was flat footed. He could have been pushed over with enough force. His poor takedown defence was amplified tenfold by his lack of fitness.

Most wrestlers don't have good takedown defence because it's not something they train.

Jones was too bust jumping around trying to land a flying knee for Shogun to engage him.

So right from the bell, he was so unfit he was flat-footed?

Why? That can't be simply from the knee surgery. He has said the knee is fine and went through a full training camp before this fight, which is not the case for Jones.

Jones, who is a monster LHW, just cut to 205 and fought twice in 6 weeks. If anyone was to gas it should have been him!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:56 pm

1972-casual wrote:Anfield, I'm nobody

I agree, now piss off.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:03 pm

But Anfield, I really want to stay and read the next instalment of your "expert" comments on all things MMA. Your thoughts and comments on MMA are a complete joke. Now go and comment on something you actually know about, whatever that may be.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Shogun was not in any sort of shape to fight. Him saying he was ready means nothing. He's hardly going to say he's not not in shape to fight.

Bones had TWO training camps. With a quick beatdown of Bader in between. Jones was in camp for about 3 and a half months all told. And he'll have had more testing sparring sessions than the fight against Bader.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 pm

1972-casual wrote:But Anfield, I really want to stay and read the next instalment of your "expert" comments on all things MMA. Your thoughts and comments on MMA are a complete joke. Now go and comment on something you actually know about, whatever that may be.

You're a clueless muppet. You know nothing about MMA. You're on the level of MikeyBoyBisping. Must be something to do with ye being Bisping fans. It breeds stupidity
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Anfield, I know more about MMA than you do. Having read what you have to say you sound like a part time fan who is really a wum. I mean, you can't seriosuly mean half the shit you talk??

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:51 am