THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+19
The_Axe_Emperor
james_hampton
pinsman
mikeyboybisping
Paolo_73
sunthunder
hendos_right_hook
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
KalDog
redmeanie77
Albion_Oakley
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
great_ginger_10
Ginginho
Shanemc
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
23 posters

Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 12 Empty Re: Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:55 am

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 12 Jwill_crop_340x234

This guy is 70 and fought and won against a 49 year old in Professional MMA. Long way to go Dan!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 12 Empty Re: Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

Post  the_king Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:08 am

who is this guy kind of looks like terry funk lol.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 am

I wonder how much longer Dan will fight. i think his most impressive stat is that he's fought 117 times and only been KO'd once!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:35 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:I wonder how much longer Dan will fight. i think his most impressive stat is that he's fought 117 times and only been KO'd once!

Laughing If the same applied to Arlovski he would have been knocked out in excess of 50 times!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 am

Arlovski would be dead if he'd had that many fights!

I wonder how much guys like Severn and Horn and Fulton make per fight.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 am

Can't be much, probably why the fight so often.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 am

Yeah, i'd imagine maybe 10k per fight?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Sure, can't be much more or less i wouldn't think.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 12 Susumu12

Looking back at Fryes carrer I dont see how we dont have him in the HOF,

After the most memorable fight of his career against Takayama. Don Frye was 15-1 with 1 loss being to Coleman and he held a win over Shammy as both men were just out of their prime.

Its easy to dismiss the wins of old guys because they guys they beat didnt always pan out to be legendary fighters but breaking down his record...

Cyril Abidi - 6"3 235Lbs K-1 Wrecking maching who had stopped Aerts twice and Sefo.

Goodridge - at the 1st UFC had blew two opponents away in no time, and was the size he would almost need to thing about cutting to make Hw these days, he scored that crucifix KO. Probabally one of the most powerfull fighers in UFC history.

Amaury Bitetti - is a 7th degree BB in BJJ and has a BB in Judo and his MMA career record stands at 5-2, he beat Dennis Hallman

Tank Abbott - Say what you want about Tank he was steamrolling guys back then and got to the finals of the UFC tournament.

Ken Shamrock - Fellow HOF'er

Even some of his tournament wins that get overlooked

Thomas Ramirez - He beat a 410lbs man in 8 seconds... just saying!

Mark Hall - Wasnt a great win but 2-1 in the UFC and a TKD guy with Sub skills.

Brian Johnson - Another well rounded guy, Boxing and Judo came into the UFC 6"4 and around 230-240 I think, gotta watch the Dvd again soon, again a bigger guy than Frye a rounded figher with 1-0 UFC record blowing his opponent away in 2 mins
    ---------------------------------------

Maby not as much as other fighters but Frye was a smaller figher, a natural 205er, and not even a huge Lhw at that. He fought the likes of Akebono, Ramirez, Takayama, Goodridge (not 100% if he was under 265 or not), Thompson, Warpath, Abbott (has been over 265)

Basically 5-7 Superheavyweights not to mention guys like Yvel he was much smaller than.
    ------------------------------------

As well as being one of the 1st well rounded fighers

Anyone agree with putting Frye in the hall of fame?

and as above Rizzo after all he beat Shammy in his last fight!

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Frye yes. Rizzo no.

How is Miletich not in the HOF??
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Frye yes. Rizzo no.

I was told it was based purely on fighters record and his wan't good enough. I have thought that his overall contribution was good enough for him to make it.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:45 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Lads Ive added Gomi, I cant believe Ive overlooked him! He was one of the greatest Lw's ever!! Most seem to agree Tito hasnt quite got into the HOF yet, so lets see how his new run in UFC goes...

Pat Miletich has come up a couple of times, Im not 100% if its a fighters only HOF I say no. Pat has great in the day and went on some run but fell short against other top guys, Carlos Newton should be perhaps in if Pat is... I think once you lower the standard of fighter you open the floodgates to why not Horn who has had well over 100 fights and dedicated himself to MMA... or Rickson Gracie.. for being the hardest gracie or the older gracies who introduced the world to BJJ....

I origianlly ment this as a fighters hall of fame, I never want it to get to the point were guys like Mask are in. If everyone wants Pat in BASED ON WHAT HE DID AS A FIGHTER fair enough... ill add him.... anyway HOF records are updated and Gomi added

(Cool thing was that Dan Severn had more fights than any other since last time I updated it!! That guy is a real legend... despite his fights being so boring!!)

Here's the response I got when I suggested it...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 am

Ginginho wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Frye yes. Rizzo no.

I was told it was based purely on fighters record and his wan't good enough. I have thought that his overall contribution was good enough for him to make it.

29-7, first UFC WW Champion. Made 4 successful defences. Of his 7 losses, only 3 came against men his own size. And he regularly beat men that outweighed him by 50lbs.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:20 am

I'm not really sure Frye should be in. Accepting him I think kind of lowers the standard and tbh, when you compare him to the rest of the HOF he looks a lot weaker than them.

Abidi is an absolute can in MMA and Shamrock hasn't been a top fighter since 1996. The fight between them was still very close. Bititti was nothing special in MMA either and Goodridge has always been very shit in MMA and kickboxing. He lost because of position and fatigue, he has never had any heart. Those don't scream as HOF caliber wins.

Frye's tash can get into the HOF no problems though.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 pm

So Frye, Miletich, Rizzo are names being batted about.

Anfield I cant understand why you say no to Rizzo.

4 Hall of fame wins Barnett (KO), Shammy (TKO), Severn (Kicks) and Coleman!

Beat Monson twice one by (TKO), Arlovski by (KO), Tank by (KO), Ricco Rodriguez

He didnt hold the title but he beat 6 UFC champs. and beat Kohsaka who "Beat" Fedor Laughing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Id say Rizzo is more qualified to be in the HOF than Igor or Gomi.

Igor having 1 HOF win (a 185er) and beat 0 UFC or Pride Champs. I wouldnt worry about Rizzo or Frye lowering the bar if Igor is in.

Honestly I think all 3 diserve to be in. All 3 were greats at one time and I think its easier to dismiss older guys.

Shocked were debating wether to put in a 2 time UFC tournament winner when in Frye when Crocop is a 1 time Pride tournament winner and is in.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 pm

To be fair, in my defence I never thought Igor should have been accepted in the first place.

Frye could have won 10 tournaments but none of them would have measured up to Cro Cop's tournament. Cro Cop also has a couple of wins over other HOFers, most of them his size or bigger.

For me it's not about dismissing the older guys, I just don't think he's qualified enough. He's far inferior compared to Shamrock, Coleman, Randy, Severn and Funaki.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Cro-cops in there based on hype and a few High lite reel Ko's,nothing more.

Cro-cops Tourney win was not that great,for a start it was rigged for him to get to the final because he was a ratings monster,the supposed 3rd best HW at that time beats two little guys in Wandi and Minowa and old man Yoshida,to get to a final,hardly a great list of victims for the 3rd best HW at the time is it,especially when you compare it to the route Barnett was forced to make to get to the final,Aleks,the guy that just beat Cro-cop,Hunt and big Nog,all HW's and all relevant at that time as top HW's.

The only good HW's Cro-cop has beat is Barnett,that's it.
    After that you could say HOFers Igor and Coleman,but he beat both of them well past there best,oh I nearly forgot Aleks in Aleks 4th pro fight.

Cro-cop has a great record beating smaller guys(except going 1-1 with Randelman)but he has lost to more top HW's than he has beat.

Shit Brock's wins over good HW's near enough match Cro-cops in the few fights he's had,admittedly Brock doesn't have a barnett on his record,but then again cro-cop has never won a HW championship belt either.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH that feels better,I haven't had a Cro-cop bashing for ages now,glad i got that out of my system for a bit Twisted Evil Very Happy
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Comparing one of the three best Heavyweights in MMA history to Brock, you can't be serious surely...
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 pm

No I wouldn't entertain the idea of Brock getting in the HOF,I'm Just pointing out that Cro-cop isn't one of the top 3 HW's of all time,you only have to look at his record against HW's to see that.

Like I said hype,mismatches and a big fan base due to a few High lite reel KO's are the only reason he makes any HOF.

Twisted Evil

Fighters can be added based on the following things,

.Titles - a GP that he only faced one top HW in the final that had just been in a war with Nog the same night

.Undefeated Streaks - 7 fight streak

.Wins over top class fighters - Barnett,Randelman,past there best Coleman and Igor,smaller guys Wandi and sakuraba

.P4p - had most success against top ranked smaller guys,only very good bigger opponent he ever beat was barnett

.Contribution to MMA - Sprawl and entertained us all with a devastating LHK
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 pm

He wasn't that much bigger than Wandy though, Cro Cop could easily have made 205. Wandy of the Pride era's was a big bloke and juiced as shit.

Either way Cro Cop sure as hell deserves to be in a HOF over Igor or Frye.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Didn't Wandy outweigh Mirko in that fight?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm not campaigning to get him out of our Hall of fame,as i know there would be no point,(I don't think me and Meanie have the sway Very Happy )when there are so many lads that love him on here.

You just sparked my much beloved past time of Cro-cop bashing when you made out like Cro-cops GP win was somehow an amazing feat,(I obviously view that GP completely different to you),with your "Frye could have won 10 tournaments but none of them would have measured up to Cro Cop's tournament" comment

anyway I've got it out of my system for a while,sorry if I ruffled a few feathers,Axe Question (unless someone wants to go over old ground again,then I'm more than happy to keep airing my opinions on him Wink )
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 am

Frye's first tournament wins included a win over a guy no one has heard off, and the living, breathing legend of MMA that is Ramirez, who was KOed in a total of 8 seconds and is in our Hall of shame.

His second tournament win was slightly more impressive. He beat Gary Goodridge, who was one of the first cans ever in MMA and would be the first inclusion to a Hall of Cans selection. He also beat some guy called Mark Hall twice and ofc Tank Abbot, another sure inclusion to the Hall of Cans. This is a guy who has lost more fights than he has won and was Koed by Kimbo.

Cro Cop beat Yoshida, Minowa, Wandy and Barnett. Two HOF fighters, and two good ones. The first two were undersized, but still far better than anything Frye faced in that tournament. Also in the tournament were Overoid, Big Nog, Aleks, Werdum, Hunt and Iron Head. That's a pretty stacked tournament mate and on the top of my head, only the 2005 version was better.

Frye's wins were worthless compared to that GP win by Cro Cop. If Frye won 10 of those tournaments of that caliber, they still wouldn't have stacked up to that Cro Cop win.

I'm not trying to say this win by Cro Cop was the greatest achievement ever in MMA, i'm just saying it's a HELL of a lot better than Frye's.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Frye's first tournament wins included a win over a guy no one has heard off, and the living, breathing legend of MMA that is Ramirez, who was KOed in a total of 8 seconds and is in our Hall of shame.

His second tournament win was slightly more impressive. He beat Gary Goodridge, who was one of the first cans ever in MMA and would be the first inclusion to a Hall of Cans selection. He also beat some guy called Mark Hall twice and ofc Tank Abbot, another sure inclusion to the Hall of Cans. This is a guy who has lost more fights than he has won and was Koed by Kimbo.

Cro Cop beat Yoshida, Minowa, Wandy and Barnett. Two HOF fighters, and two good ones. The first two were undersized, but still far better than anything Frye faced in that tournament. Also in the tournament were Overoid, Big Nog, Aleks, Werdum, Hunt and Iron Head. That's a pretty stacked tournament mate and on the top of my head, only the 2005 version was better.

Frye's wins were worthless compared to that GP win by Cro Cop. If Frye won 10 of those tournaments of that caliber, they still wouldn't have stacked up to that Cro Cop win.

I'm not trying to say this win by Cro Cop was the greatest achievement ever in MMA, i'm just saying it's a HELL of a lot better than Frye's.

i like the idea of a hall of cans lol.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Lads in all honesty heres a few that need added...

Ramapge beat.... Machida, Wanderlei, Liddell, Hendo, Arona, Murilo Bustamante, Randleman, Igor, Minowa, Jardine. And he was Defending UFC champ.

Shogun beat.... Machida, Rampage, Liddell, Coleman, Overeem, Randleman, Lil Nog, Arona. And is a UFC lhw champ as well as winning the best ever Grand Prix in MMA history.

GSP - has won 7 fights for the title. Thats enough in itself!

I say GSP, Ramapge and Shogun should go in.

Is everyone happy with those 3?

I can leave Rizzo out but I think if Rizzo, Frye, Miletich dont make the grade Igor really looks the odd one out of the HOF at present. let me know if that sounds ok. Cheers lads.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:00 am