THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame???

hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame??? Empty Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame???

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame??? Empty Re: Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame???

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 pm

That's impressive, fair play to him. Great commitment to the art. But once you get to 6th dan you get promoted up from there on how long you've been practising, not on a grading basis. I'm a 4th dan now. I'll be 6th dan in about 10 years if a continue to train at the frequency i do now, semi-regular to regular depending on how much pain i'm in from day to day! That's the highest ranking you can earn. If i managed to still be practising Judo on my 77 birthday, which is incredibly unlikely with my hips and back, then i would have a chance at 10th Dan.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame??? Empty Re: Scotland's only martial arts claim to fame???

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am

Great effort. Love to see examples like this of people defying the ageing process.

Anfield, what's the definition of 'practicing', i.e. if your hips are bad so you only practice a couple of times a year does that count, or do you have to be teaching etc. on a regular basis?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm not sure exactly what the requirements are to be honest. But if I'm not training at least twice a week I wouldn't be happy with myself. And that's not including teaching. I've gotten back into being a lot more active lately than I have been for the last few years because I'm not really training in anything else, plus I'm not travelling at all.
    HendriePaul
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  HendriePaul Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Hey Hendo, Scotland does fairly well Karate, Callium Robb who trains in meadowbank came 3rd at the wold championships in the +80kg's held in Japan and 1st in the Wado world cup. Meadow bank and the glasgow club Sakai, both have a lot of national and european level fighters. Scotland just needs to be less self depricating...

Here is a promo reel of the championships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhEZj721Tgc&feature=related

Here is a link to one of calliums other fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X99FiUJR74
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Welcome to the Armbar mate!
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Cheers for the info Hendrie, and welcome to the Armbar! I guess i've been underestimating my Scottish brothers! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 am