THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

World Mixed Martial Arts Championships

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

World Mixed Martial Arts Championships Empty World Mixed Martial Arts Championships

Post  Ginginho Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:30 am

One representative from each country in each weight class.

Mixed UFC/Pride rules where all strikes, whether the opponent is grounded or not are legal, with the exception of headbutts and strikes to the back of the head.

No eye gouging, fish hooking or groin shots or anything classed as "dirty" fighting.

Fought in a cage so the action isn't stopped because of people falling through the ropes etc.

Using the Armbar rankings, I have listed the possible semi final match ups. Feel free to make changes or tell me it is unpractical, a stupid idea or especially if I have any facts wrong. Just don't call me a white belt douchebag or I'll go back to Sherdog tongue The number before each fighter denotes seeding.

Heavyweight
    (1) Fedor Emelianenko (Russia) vs (4) Andrei Arlovski (Belarus)
    (2) Antonio Noguiera (Brazil) vs (3) Brock Lesnar (USA)

Light Heavyweight
    (1) Lyoto Machida (Brazil) vs (4) Vladimir Matyushenko (Russia)
    (2) Quinton Jackson (USA) vs (3) Gegard Mousasi (Armenia)

Middleweight
    (1) Anderson Silva (Brazil) vs (4) Patrick Cote (Canada)
    (2) Nate Marquardt (USA) vs (3) Yushin Okami (Japan)

Welterweight
    (1) Georges St. Pierre (Canada) vs (4) Paul Daley (England)
    (2) Thiago Alves (2) vs (3) Jon Fitch (USA)

Lightweight
    (1) BJ Penn (USA) vs (4) JZ Cavalcante (Brazil)
    (2) Shinya Aoki (Japan) vs (3) Joachim Hansen (Norway)

Would there be any surprises or would all the No. 1 fighters as ranked by the Armbar come out on top? Which weight class would be the closest?

I was surprised at the lack of quality Brazilian lightweights - just about put Hermes Franca in even though he isn't listed.....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

World Mixed Martial Arts Championships Empty Re: World Mixed Martial Arts Championships

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:20 pm

I'd have picked Hendo as the US representative at MW. I think he'd take that tournament.

Otherwise, it's all about the number 1's.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm