THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
pinsman
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
ChelseaQuinsfan
Albion_Oakley
Raiden
rudeboyben84
12 posters

UFC 108... Injury strikes again!!

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 108... Injury strikes again!! - Page 5 Empty Re: UFC 108... Injury strikes again!!

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:44 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Coleman's performance against Bonnar was very impressive. Randys against Vera? Not so much

Vera is a lot better than Bonner though. Bonner used to be really good, not so much now.

But Coleman isn't someone even mentioned as a top 10 LHW, Couture is being talked of as a title contender. Coleman mauled someone ranked at the same level as himself. Couture got lucky against someone meant to be a level below him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 108... Injury strikes again!! - Page 5 Empty Re: UFC 108... Injury strikes again!!

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:53 pm

No I didn't mean he was a wrestler, thats my point his one dimensional. But as you said he is the best ever at that dimension-Striking. He isn't the best ever standup fighter, just best ever striker.

I did mean that Chuck had better college wrestling creditionals. At the same time Tito was never able to get Chuck down. Still id say Tito is the superior MMA wrestler.

Better wrestling takedowns than Lesnar: Koscheck, Fitch, Coleman, Bader, Valezquez, Hughes

Kos, Fitch and Hughes couldn't get GSP to the ground aside from a few times. I think it was only Kos who managed to do it actually and then GSP avoided the rest of his takedowns. ALl three were outwresrled. Coleman's takedowns against Shogun were horrible, he was clutching at his feet. Agreed about Bader and Velasquez. Maybe Kos as well actually.

"But Coleman isn't someone even mentioned as a top 10 LHW, Couture is being talked of as a title contender. Coleman mauled someone ranked at the same level as himself. Couture got lucky against someone meant to be a level below him"

Firstly he didn't maul him, it was 29-28 across the boards. Secondly are you talking about UFC soley or in general because I wouldn't put Randy top 10 overall. He is only mentioned as a title contender because Dana wants some money, no one really thinks he deserves it. Anyway they are fighting next.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Plus Randy looked good in defeat against Brock and Nog. In all of Lesner's fights Randy did the most. Even when Mir won he got lucky with a reffere mistake and an amatuer mistake Randy did a good job. He rocked Brock and avoided his takedowns for the most part. Against Nog he got some real good shots in, a chin lesser than Nogs would have gone down. He also showed good sub defence. Coleman looked horrible against a worst-ever Shogun.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Coleman gave Shogun a close enough fight, I think Shogun gassed trying to keep a wrestler like Coleman off him, I give Coleman credit for giving the best Lhw around a close fight. Shogun may or may not have been at his best/worst but Shogun is a great fighter and Coleman was able to give him trouble. Coleman want even able to go through a propper training camp apparently. A fight later and he is beating Stefan Bonner and looking good doing it. I think Coleman has looked good at Lhw. I dont think him and Randy will be a miss match, Randy looked terrible against Vera and I think should have lost.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm

^^ yes!

mark coleman gasses fighters out! i cant find the interview where he talks about not getting enough credit for taking Shogun to the limit, when Mark is on you it is like hell, i am not surprised Shogun and Bonnar gassed, even though Shogun wasnt in the greatest shape.

as for chelsea's comment: "Coleman's takedowns against Shogun were horrible, he was clutching at his feet."

"clutching at someone's feet" is a legit takedown, it has been Sakuraba's go-to move for 12 years;

UFC 108... Injury strikes again!! - Page 5 Wrx94m

and wrestling isnt all about the takedown, pride rules and its over right here:

UFC 108... Injury strikes again!! - Page 5 Zlyoeo

i honestly can't remember Coleman coming across a fighter he couldn't take down.....

.....oh wait, there was this one guy... lol!

anyway the coleman that fights couture will be the best Coleman we have seen at LHW, he is still improving:

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Machida is the best LHW around.

Clutching at someone's feet and NOT taking them down is not very good. If he got him down I would agree but he failed to get him down. Both Coleman and Shogun were horrible in that fight, they gassed like the fat fucks from TUF. He was impressive against Bonner but Bonner hasn't been good. Randy didn't look too good against Vera but he still won IMO. It should be a close fight either way.

I never said wrestling was all about takedowns, the argument was never is Coleman a better wrestler than Lesner. Its takedowns were talking about. Coleman is probably the second greatest MMA wrestler ever, after Randleman. Hendo is one of the best wrestlers today and his takedowns are not a strong point of his game. GSP has the best takedowns in MMA today and he isn't a wrestler. The argument was pure takedowns and IMO, Lesner a former NFL player has better takedowns. Maybe its just strength and size, but he is also very explosive and thats why he is better than Coleman at TDs.

"i honestly can't remember Coleman coming across a fighter he couldn't take down.....
    .....oh wait, there was this one guy... "

Cro Cop Very Happy
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote: I give Coleman credit for giving the best Lhw around a close fight.

I just checked Coleman's record. He's never fought Machida.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Oh! Allegedly, Lesnar has lost FIFTY pounds since his surgery! I feel a bit bad for doubting how sick he was!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 pm