The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Rib injury

KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Rib injury

Post  KalDog on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:01 pm

So, I was rolling pretty intensely last night, ended with me slapping a triangle on. The guy stacks me and twists and I hear a pop and feel my ribs actually move. Pretty painful to be fair and stopped training there and then.

I've been to the docs who looked at me like I was a mental patient and couldn't give me a direct answer.... It could be cartiledge, could be cracked, could be broken....

It's about 3 inches below my right chest

Anyone experienced this?

(I'm looking to you Anf)
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Re: Rib injury

Post  Mryzyz on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:46 pm

From my limited knowledge I believe torn cartilage is most likely from an injury caused by a twisting motion. Don't take that as an expert opinion.

I've never broke a rib myself, though.

Shame meanie doesn't post here anymore, he actually has medical qualifications IIRC.
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Mryzyz wrote:From my limited knowledge I believe torn cartilage is most likely from an injury caused by a twisting motion. Don't take that as an expert opinion.  

I've never broke a rib myself, though.

Shame meanie doesn't post here anymore, he actually has medical qualifications IIRC.

I'm going with the torn cartilage, apparently it's quite common, hurts like a mother fucker though, I sneezed earlier and I swear to god I almost died
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:11 am

I have done a rib & an intercostal muscle and they both felt the same

And I can feel that pain when ya sneeze five years after it happened:evil: 
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 am

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/chest-abdomen-pain/costochondral-separation

Is what I actually have

Do you still train?
    How long were you out for?
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Only Muay Thai for fun now, was doing it seriously (for me) up until I was 40 & then the 4th nipper came along (4 boys, only 6 yrs apart from 1st to 4th) & the Mrs said helpppppp me Laughing and TBH I agreed with her so left it for 4 yrs and then started up again coz I love it - fuck old mans golf when you can take 50 punches a round from a 25yr old athlete but still get the pleasure of landing one or two meaningful somethings of ya own Cool 

Plus my kids are into it, they do it 2 or 3 times a week, plus a night at a boxing club (I do a night there as well - frickin kills me more than thai tbh - the dood that runs it is a fitness nutter), they also dabble in BJJ but its a slow burner for kids compared to thai so takes a second seat by a long shot.

Anyway, I seem to remember it was 3-4 months before I was completely happy taking a shot on it, and I seem to remember 3-4 weeks out. Second time it happened was 2 days before I was fighting a Leicester Square in London, was meant to be having a v gentle no knees sparring session at a mates gym with an East European who it turned out spoke no English and in the first clinch hammered a knee into my ribs - fucker! 40 odd tickets sold to family etc and I couldnt even stand up straight, let alone fight. I remember my trainer tellin me on the phone before he saw me that everyone fights with injuries (like I didnt know) but there was no way that was happening.

Dunno if I should say it coz it might be just me as the same area has gone twice and I dont wanna plant any seeds but every time I take a decent shot in the same area I get a millisecond of 'oh shit' assuming its gonna go again.
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm putting it down to an over zealous training partner, plus my hips shoulda been firmly planted when I got the choke on.

Its feeling better (still sore though) already. Tried to do a shrimp this morning and couldn't, so although it's frustrating I can happily wait until it heals.

It's good your kids are into sport, mine are all jitzers.... There's far too many playstation kids out there

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm