THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+17
the_king
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
hendos_right_hook
Once Mohawked Pete
Moose Stuff For Money...
NonnyMus
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
poz
efils_god
wilksdaman
Sly Uses
sunthunder
redmeanie77
pinsman
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
21 posters

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!!

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!! - Page 4 Empty Re: UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!!

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Yeah i agree, Sheilds biggest threat is also GSPs and he is much better in that area, i can't see him GnPing GSP, only thing i could see is a sub, but even then i can't really see it. I think GSP can dictate where this fight will go which is a huge comodity. Same reason i think Cain will beat JDS. Being able to choose where the fight goes is invaluable.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!! - Page 4 Empty Re: UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!!

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Only just watching the rest of the event now and Schaub looked great. He's really improved since his drubbing against Nelson and i'd honestly back The Hybrid to beat Big Country now.

Great end to the fight too as Gonzaga sprawled and instantly switched to a rear naked, if only he'd done that 10 seconds earlier he could have won! Good fight.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:16 pm

JDS beat Nelson comfortably on points, but I felt he laboured a bit after the first round tbh, Nelson has a great chin, and JDS doesnt seem to have any kicks or takedowns, really cant see him bothering Cain, but time will tell.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 pm

No kicks or takedowns? Funny that he utilized both effectively in the Nelson fight scratch

All he needs to do is use them more, they were effective every time he attempted them in that fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:31 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I can't see Sheilds beating him at all to be honest,especially in a 5 rd fight.

I don't think GSP has to worry to much about being subbed,(or pounded out for that matter)It'll be Sheilds biggest threat,but i can't see it.
    Even if he does get GSP down,I can't see him keeping him there,if Kampmann can get up that many times,GSP should have no troubles,since he is far more explosive,Sheilds is an absolute zero threat standing and he's not going to pound GSP out with them pillow fists either,GSP is quicker and is more than capable of keeping this fight standing if he wants,we also know GSP won't gas at all and will push a pace,that i have my doubts that shields will be able to keep up with,without crashing,GSP has also already out wrestled great wrestlers,who also have great cardio,like Fitch,Kos and Hughes.

I think GSP dictates the whole fight to be honest,He'll probably keep the majority of this fight standing,tire sheilds out and put him on his back when he wants,where he pounds away,obviously doing it in safe GSP style Wink

Being explosive and having the ability to get back up from the ground are not always interlocked.

GSP goes in as favourite but:

GSP has NEVER faced anyone who can control the way a fit and healthy Shields can. Fitch has the best control of the 3 you mention but even he is not on Shields level. Shields is a great wrestler but he's also got great BJJ which the others don't have. Shields messed up his cut, and still beat a top 10 WW. Can't see that happening again, he'll get the cut right next time. Shields has much better BJJ than GSP and could def tap him. Hughes tapped him, GSP's submission defence has never really been tested except that once.

GSP has never faced anyone with a bottom game like Shields, and he's not going to finish Shields so he's going to have to spend 5 rounds locked in a ground war with a superior ground fighter.

Also GSP outwrestled Kos who wasn't wrestling, let's see what happens in the rematch.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

in the state he was in on saturday night, i don't think Shields has much of a chance against GSP.
    The weight cut severly affected him IMO...remember last time he weighed 185 he went 6 hard rounds without gassing?? (including brawl) now all of a sudden he gasses in the second round!!
    If he wasn't getting a title shot i would suggest to move back to 185. Shields might be bigger compared to the rest of the division at 170, but he is a much, MUCH better fighter at 185.
    ...he would have schooled Kampmann at 185, and the GSP fight at MW would be competitive for sure.

if he does the nesccessary steps to lose the weight healthily he can still give GSP a good fight.

for the record i think Shields won, the knee i dont think hurt him that much, it was a bit like Conan vs Sakuraba probably Smile
    and you also have to take into account that for most of the fight, and especially for the first and 3rd rounds, that Shields was pushing the pace, taking the fight to Kampmann...who was defending nearly the whole fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Shields clearly needs another fight before he goes against GSP but i think he should stay at 170. I think if he can keep his weight around 180 for the next few months, have an easy cut and get a fight against someone like Condit who will really test him, and then go after GSP if he gets the win.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Shields had to cut 20 lbs on weigh-in day. Thats way too much.

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Going back to the Lesnar-Velasquez fight, it reminded me of a fight we saw many years ago.

And that's not to say Lesnar is as poor as Sapp, but there's similarities in the way they freak out when on their backs. For all this talk of Lesnar's BJJ, his defensive grappling seems to consist solely of desperation moves made out of terror of being on his back. He's still not shown any sort of guard at all, which I think might have actually helped him in his past two fights - the ability to tie up his opponent and just slow the pace a bit. But instead of that it's a frenzy of desperate rolling.

I think the point that really broke Lesnar was not so much when he started getting hit, it was more when he realised he couldn't keep Cain down and that Cain could take him down. Then he panicked.

I'm not sure how Lesnar's future looks. I don't remember the last time there was a top 10 fighter so afraid of two of the most common positions in MMA - standing and on your back.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:01 am

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:I can't see Sheilds beating him at all to be honest,especially in a 5 rd fight.

I don't think GSP has to worry to much about being subbed,(or pounded out for that matter)It'll be Sheilds biggest threat,but i can't see it.
    Even if he does get GSP down,I can't see him keeping him there,if Kampmann can get up that many times,GSP should have no troubles,since he is far more explosive,Sheilds is an absolute zero threat standing and he's not going to pound GSP out with them pillow fists either,GSP is quicker and is more than capable of keeping this fight standing if he wants,we also know GSP won't gas at all and will push a pace,that i have my doubts that shields will be able to keep up with,without crashing,GSP has also already out wrestled great wrestlers,who also have great cardio,like Fitch,Kos and Hughes.

I think GSP dictates the whole fight to be honest,He'll probably keep the majority of this fight standing,tire sheilds out and put him on his back when he wants,where he pounds away,obviously doing it in safe GSP style Wink

Being explosive and having the ability to get back up from the ground are not always interlocked.

GSP goes in as favourite but:

GSP has NEVER faced anyone who can control the way a fit and healthy Shields can. Fitch has the best control of the 3 you mention but even he is not on Shields level. Shields is a great wrestler but he's also got great BJJ which the others don't have. Shields messed up his cut, and still beat a top 10 WW. Can't see that happening again, he'll get the cut right next time. Shields has much better BJJ than GSP and could def tap him. Hughes tapped him, GSP's submission defence has never really been tested except that once.

GSP has never faced anyone with a bottom game like Shields, and he's not going to finish Shields so he's going to have to spend 5 rounds locked in a ground war with a superior ground fighter.

Also GSP outwrestled Kos who wasn't wrestling, let's see what happens in the rematch.

I agree that Shields is top level when it comes to controlling guys on the ground,but I think he's about on par with Fitch,which is still away behind GSP.
    GSP hasn't the wrestling credentials,but there's no denying that he is at the very top of the food chain at WW when it comes to MMA wrestling,like I said,he easily outwrestled and beat Fitch,(wasn't he the Purdue captain)plus I have to admit I'm not 100% sold on his submission game,it's good without a doubt and like you said it's better than Fitch's,but his last 3 opponents have not been troubled by it and none of them are on GSP's level(yes Hendo was,but he's old and gasses now at MW,like he did in there last fight)

I know the cut had a big effect on his last performance which I've tried to kind of ignore,but it's something you can't simply forget,the same thing still might happen and he just might not comfortably be able to make WW any more,he did look huge compared to Kampmann,who's hardly a small WW himself,so It's hard for me to see him beating GSP.
    Even in his fight against hendo,Hendo beat him silly in that first rd and I think the same thing happened to Hendo,at his age his body didn't handle the cut very well and he tired rapidly after the 1st rd,allowing Sheilds to get back into a fight,that he was lucky to still be in,then the fight before against Mayhem,he controlled Mayhem for most of the fight,no doubt,but out of the two,who came closest to finishing the fight by submission,it was mayhem and not shields.

And on the Kos fight,I think GSP is going to absolutely school Kos,I personally think Kos is abit over rated.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 am

If Kos trains his wrestling then he can beat GSP because his wrestling if much better than GSP's. GSP is much better standing but Kos hits a lot harder and GSP's chin is always suspect if he gets caught flush.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 am

iv got a feeling kos will beat gsp i dunno why because iv always felt confident that gsp will win in the past.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am

I'm backing Kos as well to be honest. I think he's a better wrestler, and GSP has become a boring 1 dimensional wrestler since he went to train with Jackson. Once GSP can't outwrestle Kos he's going to have to stand and strike, and I think Kos can knock GSP out while GSP hasn't finished anyone since he beat Serra(GSP did not finish Penn).
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 am

i wonder how unpopular kos will be as a champion i mean during the prelims he drew so much heat just walking into the arena.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:01 am

In terms of the noise the fans at arenas would make, he'd be more unpopular than Lesnar IMO.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Did anyone notice how miserable Dana White looked putting the belt around Cain's waist? Laughing
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:51 pm

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!! - Page 4 Req%20mrpopenfresh

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:23 am

He looks like he's going to cry!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:56 am

Despite hia main-event defeat and losing his heavyweight title to Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar was the top earner at this past weekend's UFC 121 event and earned $400,000 of the night's $1.513 million disclosed payroll.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently requested and today received the list of salaries from the California State Athletic Commission.

Tito Ortiz ($250,000), Velasquez ($200,000) and co-main-event winner Jake Shields ($150,000) were other top earners from the card, which took place Oct. 23 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The full list of UFC 121 payouts included:

Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)
    def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000

Jake Shields: $150,000 ($75,000 win bonus)
    def. Martin Kampmann: $27,000

Diego Sanchez: $100,000 ($50,000 win bonus)
    def. Paulo Thiago: $18,000

Matt Hamill: $58,000 ($29,000 win bonus)
    def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000

Brendan Schaub: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
    def. Gabriel Gonzaga: $67,000

Court McGee: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)
    def. Ryan Jensen: $10,000

Tom Lawlor: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
    def. Patrick Cote: $21,000

Daniel Roberts: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
    def. Mike Guymon: $8,000

Sam Stout: $32,000 ($16,000 win bonus)
    def. Paul Taylor: $16,000

Chris Camozzi: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
    def. Dongi Yang: $8,000

Jon Madsen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
    def. Gilbert Yvel: $30,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays. They also do not include portions of the pay-per-view revenue that some top-level fighters receive.

For example, as previously reported, UFC officials handed out $70,000 UFC 121 bonuses to Velasquez (KO of the Night), Roberts (Submission of the Night), and Sanchez and Thiago (Fight of the Night).

In other words, the above figures are simply base salaries reported to the commission and do not reflect entire compensation packages for the event.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:01 am

Tito Ortiz - the most overpaid sportsman in the world?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 am

Madsen needs a new agent.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 am

TUF contract mate. Close to a slavery deal. TUF contracts are fucking shit.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:35 am

UFC 121 Medical Suspensions
    Patrick Cote 180 days - retina
    Chris Camozzi, 60 days - left brow laceration
    Dongi Yang, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Court McGee 180 days - possible broken hand; 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Ryan Jensen, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Gilbert Yvel, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Brendan Schaub, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Gabriel Gonzaga, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Tito Ortiz, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Diego Sanchez, 180 days - possible wrist fracture
    Paulo Thiago, 60 days - laceration
    Jake Shields 180 days - bleeding in eye, blurred vision
    Brock Lesnar 180 days - eye; 60 days - cheek laceration
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:54 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:UFC 121 Medical Suspensions
    Patrick Cote 180 days - retina
    Chris Camozzi, 60 days - left brow laceration
    Dongi Yang, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Court McGee 180 days - possible broken hand; 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Ryan Jensen, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Gilbert Yvel, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Brendan Schaub, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Gabriel Gonzaga, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Tito Ortiz, 45 days (30 days of no contact)
    Diego Sanchez, 180 days - possible wrist fracture
    Paulo Thiago, 60 days - laceration
    Jake Shields 180 days - bleeding in eye, blurred vision
    Brock Lesnar 180 days - eye; 60 days - cheek laceration

what exacly is no contact is this no sparring or no contact from ufc?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 am

als i watched the lesnar/cain fight about 3 times last night cain has really impressed me his ability to just pop back up. and also when lesnar was spinnerooning around the cage how quick he was to land shots as soon as lesnar was moving.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:55 pm