THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
redmeanie77
ChelseaQuinsfan
6 posters

UFC 108 spoilers

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 108 spoilers Empty UFC 108 spoilers

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Overall a pretty good card for what it was, so many injuries but some nice KOs and subs.

Prelims:

Oliviera def Guderson by UD- Not sure what to say here, didn't watch it and niether fighter were really impressive before the fight.

Ellenbergher def Pyle by TKO round 2- Ellenbergher was really impressive here, his wrestling looked really good and he has loads of power. He only lost a split to condit but IMO it should have been a draw. He needs to look for a step up now, maybe a rematch with Rick Story or something but he was impressive here.

Munoz def Jensen by sub (strikes) round 1- Munoz looked impressive here, better striking shown and some good GnP. Jensen is probably gone and should look for another fighting promotion and Munoz is ready for a step up. Im thinking along the lines of Kendell Grove.

Prelims on Spike

Cole Miller def Lauzon by sub round 1- Lauzon dropped Miller early and was looking. for the finish but got careless. Then Miller caught him with a really nice Triangle/Kimura combo that made him tap. Not the return Lauzon was looking for and Miller is turning into somesort of gatekeeper. He has some really inventive BJJ and decent training but he still needs more if he wants to step up, good win for him here. Lauzon should fight someone like Oliveria. Miller should face someone like Uno.

Kampmann def Volkman by sub round 1- Exciting fight, Volkman left of where he started against Thiago and came out swinging. Just like against Thiago he left huge opening so while he was connecting, he left easy openings for Kampmann to tag him. Eventually it went to the ground and Kampmann caught him in a really nice guillotine which left Volman to tap. Good rebound win for Kampmann, id possibly like to see Kampmann vs Saunders or maybe Kampmann vs Ellenberger. I hope the UFC keep Volkman, he is an exciting fighter, never going to be a title contender but always exciting and willing to take fights on short notice, he should be kept.

Main Card

Dos Santos def Yvel by TKO in round 1- YEEEEEEE thats my boy, Dos Santos get his 4th win the ocatagon over solid competition. Not much to say for the fight, Yvel came out agressive and a little flashy, Dos Santos came up with the perfect gameplan and caught Yvel clean on the chin and finished him off. Dos Santos continues to look good, 4 wins over tough opponents, okay Yvel isn't the Pride sensation Rogan and Dana were trying to hype him up to be but still a tough KO artist and Dos Santos finished him off inside a round. Next for him is probably Velasquez. If Velasquez beats Nog he won't get a title shot IF Lesner is coming back. Lesner will fight the winner of Mir/Carwin leaving Dos Santos and Velasquez to fight for the number on contender spot. If Velasquez looses then that fight is still a possibility. Possibly a fight with Gonzaga as well. Yvel should be back, They should give him an easier fight next time round.

Miller def Bang by sub- Miller looked impressive, his striking looked better he caught Bang and finished him on the ground. Miller is a good fighter, only two losses to Edgar and Maynard. Im not sure where to put him right now, he is probably sniffing around the stage of joining the group of Daddy, Guida, Edgar and Griffin. Bang deserves a second chance.

Stout def Lauzon by UD- Good fight here, Stout is one of the most exciting fighters in the UFC. He was really impressive here, his striking looked a lot better in terms of technique and he packs a powerful punch. Lauzon was dissapointing, his wrestling was poor here. Taining with Tompkins has ovbviously helped Stout, his wrestling and BJJ looked better as well. The LW division is stacked so im not sure where these guys go from here, I think Stout vs Fisher III would be an outstanding fight to finish the trilogy. They are 1-1 as of now. Lauzon should fight Boeck.

Daley def Hazelett by KO- Nice KO by Semtex, but awful gameplan from Hazelett. He didn't even try for the takedown. Still a lot of power from Daley shown, Id like to see him vs Rumble right now.

Evans def Silva by UD- Evans back to his wrestling base for this match, his takedowns were good his control wasn't really. He domianted the opening two rounds but got really sloppy in the final match and ended up getting rocked and dropped badly. When Silva was dancing around im not sure why Evans didn't just tag him, it didn't look too hard. Pretty good match up that sets us up nicely for Evans vs Rampage. Id like to see Silva drop down to MW now, I think he could be a beat there but Luiz Cane or the Janitor are possibilities as well.

Overall a good event that had some exciting fights, nice KOs and inventive submissions.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 108 spoilers Empty Re: UFC 108 spoilers

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:10 pm

I only found links for the 3 big matches so far.

JDS-Yvel : Impressive win for JDS, beating Yvel at his own game inside a round. Very Very Impressive. Agree Cain or Gonzaga next for JDS. Yvel should fight Hardonk or Barry next that would be fun.

Hazlett-Semtex : As predicted by many if it stayed on the feet, then it will be KO of the night, im suprised Hazlett didnt go for any takedowns, he was intent on staying up and pushing Semtex away with those kicks waiting to be takedown. Good patience from Daley, and big win for him. Semtex-Rumble anyone??

Evans-Thiago: Total domination from Rashad in first 2 rounds, but never came close to finishing Silva, he tired himself out with those takedown and extreme head movement, he cant sustain that pace for 25 mins never mind 15. Thiago should have finished him in the 3rd, Evans was hurt bad and he let him off the hook.
    He had Rashad doing the chicken dance (stanky leg) Again lol!
    Also Thiago does the worst Anderson impression EVER.

Next fights for both are pick themselves i think. Rashad-Rampage, Thiago-Forrest.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Very good card. This seems to happen every time people complain that there arent big fights on the card!!

Just to say JDS vs Yvel was a premature stoppage, It was a really entertaining fight and I wouldn have liked to see it continue. Ref's in MMa tend to panic when someone gets dropped, Yvel was covering up and trying to stand up. I know JDS fans will say it was fair but if you watch it again Yvel wasnt dazed on the ground, he was still very much in the fight despite being dropped... I wonder if it was Randy Couture would the ref have been so quick to jump in? Disapointed with the refereeing but impressed with the striking of JDS, he beat one of the best Hw fighers on the feet at his own game when I expected him to take the fight down.

I agree that if Cain beats Nog that will be his next fight. If Nog wins I wonder who? Maby the Carwin vs Mir looser? He is right up there, after this win I think he diserves a shot at the title more than Cain or Carwin.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    T.Silva vs Evans was a great fight! I feel Silva was unlucky not to be able to put the finish to a rocked Evans, I was even hoping that he would drop evans a couple of times and get a 10-8 round for the draw. It suprises me that Silva didnt land more leg kicks to Evans left leg which he leaves hanging out because of his wide set stance.. Evans was very impressive in the 1st 2 rounds, ratting in those bodyshots followed by a big TD was superb, showed how quick and well rounded he is. Evans vs Rampage is happening now, Evans to win. Although I think if Evans cant get the title he should consider dropping to 185, he looked very small against Silva.... Maby he likes fighting at his more natural weight but its always as option. T.Silva should look to fight Luiz Cane now because there is suppose to be bad blood between the two
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew Daley would get that 1st round KO, Hazlett was a fool, standing up straight like that landing teeps and thinking "this is going OK" When it isnt!! when your in with a striker like Daley your not keeping him at bay or beating him with those sort of tactics, your just delaying the enevitable flurry coming your way, Hazlett was very very silly to try standing like that being so stationary. Daley would KO Dan Hardy, Its a shame Hardy got the show, Its a bigger Shame Alves is fighting Fitch because Alves vs Daley would be an epic!!! I like the Idea of the Rumble fight too Chelsea.

Stout really really impressed me, From a striking point of view you can really tell he has stepped up and angle, there was a point he threw a combo, sidestepped and threw another combo from a different Angle. His Muay Thai really has gone up a level. Good win.

Jim Miller pulled out a great sub, his striking also looked great, he looked to have quicked hands than Bang Ludwig, good showing.

Cole Miller really diserved Sub of the night, Martin Kampmann was probabally in contention as well!! Two great Subbs, Kampmann is back in the mix with the top Ww's now. Miller has nothing on his punches though I dont know how far he can get on those sub skills alone.

Shame to see Dan and Joe both loose, sad two brothers taking a loss on the same night! there must have been some drinking done in their house that night!! Laughing
    Mark Munoz looked like Greg Jackoson has worked his Magic on him! Really Brutal head/body GnP, very good showing and he looked a Tank! He is a big powerfull Wrestler at 185lbs I can see him doing well, maby cracking the top 20.

Great card all in all.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

What about this for JDS next opponent since all the top contenders are busy... Roy Nelson!! Dana White no doubt wants to see Nelson humbled and JDS certainly would do that! Id like to see that happen! After all he is only 25, they are in no rush to put him into a title fight because Nog is going 1st. Id love to see this happen.

Yvel's next fight could be a Kongo rematch?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:39 pm

JDS had his chin up for the whole fight, Yvel also to lesser extent, that was always going badly for one of them. Did anyone else hold their breath when Yvel found out Herb Dean stopped the fight? Very Happy
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:52 pm

I can see what your saying about a premature stoppage but im not quite sure. Yvel wasn't out but he wasn't defending himself either, Yvel could have taken more punishment but I think Dean thought it would have been unnessacry. It wasn't a terrible stoppage but I suppose it could have continued, although it was a matter of time after he was dropped. His eyes rolled to the back of his head when he got caught.

Roy Nelson could be a good test for him, I think Dos Santos would Knock the KFC out of him, but still a good test. I like What Dos Santos is doing right now, he is letting Nog go for the title and that allows him time to develop his game more.

I did feel sorry for the Lauzon bros. I picked both to win but that house is going to be a funeral.

Still very impressive wins for Stout and Miller. Miller really should be a FW but he is always really exciting with good submissions. Never going to be enough against the top LWs but still exciting to watch. Stout looks like he has a decent good now, excellent standup displayed. Fisher vs Stout III.

Kongo has had two tough fights recently, Yvel had a tough debut, I think they need a little break. Kongo vs Barry and Yvel vs Hardonk.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Ben, Silva and Cane sorted their problems and now train together at ATT.

Silva against Forrest makes sense to me.

Cane should fight Franklin as he looks to get back into contention.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Anfield, Gald they cleared the air, although it made for some good grudge matches!

Griffin is being a dick, he though Nog want a big enough name to fight him, I guess he would say the same about T.Silva, though I think Forrests days of a top 10 fighter are numbered. I think T.Silva would beat him, I even think Jon Jones would beat him!! Id like to see that happen.

Chelsea like the Ideas of those 4 strikers paired up, Maby but Buentello in that mix as well, Buentello vs Yvel would be a good one as well.

The Thing about the Yvel stoppage is Herb paniced like most MMA refs who dont know the differnece between a knockdown and a Knockout which is supprising cause Herb has fought himself. Yvel took a good knockdown but he recoveded very quickly, he even stoop back up to get taken down again and did take a few shots but not many flush shots and nothing that troubled him... Its like the Cung le vs Scott Smith fight, dont stop it if the other figher can still get back up and fight on. It wasnt terrible stoppage bcause every time someone gets dropped and is taking some GnP theres always a case for a stoppage, but Yvel was moving and his eyes were clear, he wasnt getting KO'd. Bad call Herb. Id have liked to see it go on because JDS was getting the better of him on the feet and if he was allowed to put a propper finish to the fight could maby have sent more of a message to the deivison.

Where is Heath Herring these days! theres plenty of Figthts for him at the minute. He would go right into figts on this level...

Buentello
    Struve
    Yvel
    Kongo (rematch)
    Barry
    Hardonk
    Duffee
    Rothwell
    Nelson
    McSweeney
    Gormley
    Tuchscherer
    Crocop...

Theres plenty of guys on his level that he could go straight into a fight with... I think he really needs to get over the beating Lesnar give him!! It was years ago after all!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Ye Cane and Silva are friends now and both train at ATT.

Silva vs Forrest makes a lot of sense, Franklin is fighting Cote so he won't be fighting Cane. Cane vs Janitor makes a lot of sense.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm

A little harsh on Griffin, I think even he said he think Lil Nog would beat him, which I agree with but Lil Nog isn't that well known in the US. Barring another incredibly special run, Griffin will never hold a title again but there are money fights left for him. Silva vs Griffin would be a good fight, Griffin's chin means Silva could get a quick KO but Griffin's pace and conditioing means he could outwork Silva to a UD. Griffin is a nice guy, not the best fighter in the world but he always goes all out.

You make a good point about the stoppage but its not quite like Le vs Smith. Le had Smith in a crucifix like position but he didn't have it secure like Daddy did against Stevenson. Dos Santos was just pounding away.

Heath "The Texas Gatekeeper" Herring is/was doing movies for a while, including one with Angelinina Jolie. Id like to see him face Duffee, I think Duffee would beat him and gain a bigger reputation.

Intresting that you have McSweeney on that list. Maybe its just me but I think that every other fighter besides Gomrmley on the list would defeat him inside two rounds.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 pm

quick thought whilst watching.

Gilbert looked like shit, JDS looked back to his old self.

Minowaman wins the superhulk, now everyone is trying his moves!

Disrespecting the beaten opponent knows no national boundaries.

I thought a knockdown equaled a 10-8 round, Rashad did nothing in the third, was playing for points the entire fight, 3rd should have been a 10-8 making it a draw.
    All Rashad's takedowns did was showcase his ability to take a guy down and not keep him there. Ill be honest, once it became obvious that Rashad was playing for points i was against him. I like kickboxer Rashad better Very Happy

Can someone tell me the fighters with the surname "Miller" that are related please.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Thats a good point, I thought of that as well but at the same time, he got one good shot in. He did nothing for the rest of the round. Evans did nothing either but niether did Silva so it was only 10-9. If he got another knockdown then it would have been 10-8 and a draw.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Chelsea, who's the janitor??

Chesty, Jim Miller that beat Ludwig is the brother of Dan Miller lost to Sonnen last and is fighting Maia next. Cole Miller is no relation.

Joe Rogan last night called Gilbert Yvel a "Pride Sensation" and a "Pride Legend". Surely he was taking the piss! 2-7 with a NC is legendary only in awfulness.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Oh, and there's no way that fight could be scored a draw. Rashad dominated it for 11 minutes, then there was a minute or two of nothing. Then Silva had one minute where he looked like winning, then nothing again.

Rashad all day.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Vladimir "The Janitor" Matyushenko.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Ah i see! Cheers Red.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:28 pm

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 am

thats what i thought anfield, but Goldy said that Dan Lauzon and Cole Miller both had mma fighters for brothers so i got confused.

i looked it up and Cole Miller has a brother called Micah who fought in DREAM FW GP and went out in the first round.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:54 am

Ye Cole has a brother called Micah who also trains at ATT. He fought in the Dream FW Grand pix, WEC and I think is with Shine fights right now. 22 years old with a 13-3 record.

Jim Miller is the brother of Dan Miller the MW and niether Jim or Cole have a relation to Jason "Mayhem" Miller the MW or Jason Miller the LHW.

As red has pointed out Vladmir "The Janitor" Matyushenko. I find it hard to spell Matyushenko so Janitor is easily Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:13 pm