THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+17
the_king
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
hendos_right_hook
Once Mohawked Pete
Moose Stuff For Money...
NonnyMus
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
poz
efils_god
wilksdaman
Sly Uses
sunthunder
redmeanie77
pinsman
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
21 posters

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!!

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!!

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:His post fight interview was good but he's far from a great guy. Are you willing to accept that he's not an elite level HW now after getting beaten so badly last night?

No. He was beat by a fantastic performance from one of the best Heavies in the world. It's not like Cain is some random scrub. Maybe he isn't elite level but this fight didn't prove that.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!!

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm really clueless where Brock can go from here.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt,after Carwin battered him for a round,due to the fact that ,Brock turtled from Carwin,while everyone else was sleeping after carwin punched them,but after last night,I don't think there is any getting away from it,Anfield was completely correct,Brock cannot take a punch and that is something I don't think any amount of training now,will ever change for him.
    He is obviously not good enough to be in there with guys that can hit,like Cain,JDS and even Carwin yet.

He needs to rebuild himself by fighting the middle of the road guys for a few fights,which i'm sure he can beat,but will he have it in him to carry on and start all over,plus will the UFC be alright with paying him the money he earns,fighting those kind of guys?

as I say,I really don't know where he goes from here.

I think Yvel should fight Hunt next,cut the loser and give the winner one more chance.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:51 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I'm really clueless where Brock can go from here.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt,after Carwin battered him for a round,due to the fact that ,Brock turtled from Carwin,while everyone else was sleeping after carwin punched them,but after last night,I don't think there is any getting away from it,Anfield was completely correct,Brock cannot take a punch and that is something I don't think any amount of training now,will ever change for him.
    He is obviously not good enough to be in there with guys that can hit,like Cain,JDS and even Carwin yet.

He needs to rebuild himself by fighting the middle of the road guys for a few fights,which i'm sure he can beat,but will he have it in him to carry on and start all over,plus will the UFC be alright with paying him the money he earns,fighting those kind of guys?

as I say,I really don't know where he goes from here.

I think Yvel should fight Hunt next,cut the loser and give the winner one more chance.

Do you really see Brock stepping down and fighting B-level fighters? I don't think he has that in him, he is addicted to being at the top of the mountain and plus i'm not sure if the UFC will be happy with pushing there former unbeatable HW champ down the pecking order.

Don't get me wrong i'd love it if he did step down and start building himself up again, getting the real experience he needs to fight the best but i wouldn't hold my breath if i was you Sad

Yvel is 0-3 in the UFC with two first round KO's and 4-1 in his last 5. I'll be amazed if he is kept on. Same for Hunt is 0-6 in his last six!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:54 pm

during the post fight interviews tito ortiz was asked about retirment where he responded not even close.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Yvel vs Hunt is a great shout mate! Would be a fun fight to watch.

I completely agree on Lesnar needing to fight middle of the road guys. Let him go back to the lower regions and fight guys of a lesser standard so he can build himself up and work on his skills and gain experience without the pressure of title fights.

Axe, I think the UFC could do it because Lesnar will draw big money regardless of opponents and for Lesnar it depends on what he wants, a winning streak, a chance to rebuild his career and attain real skills and then the chance to legit get a title shot. Or a bunch of fights where he'll lose as many as he wins.

I say give him Gonzaga, Rothwell, Nelson, Mir for the rubber match and then consider him for a title shot.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Don't see it happening unfortunately Cunt.

Anyone seen the Stout- Taylor fight? Apparently it was a war but i can't find a link anywhere!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't know Axe,like I said I think thats what he should do,but to be honest I'm at a complete loss to where Brock goes from here

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm

At least someone has gained something from Brock's loss...

UFC 121 ..........SPOILERS!!!!! - Page 3 Brock_Lesnar_Tim_Sylvia

Timmeh: Ha! Nice try Brock but i'm still the most dominant Heavy Wink
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Anyone know FOTN/KOTN/SOTN for this event?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:54 pm

efils_god wrote:Anyone know FOTN/KOTN/SOTN for this event?

Fight of the Night: Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
    Knockout of the Night: Cain Velasquez
    Submission of the Night: Daniel Roberts
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Are you working your prediction points out?

have you retaken the lead and do you know who I owe a prize too ?

I had a quick look last night and I think it might be between you and Shanemc
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Interesting comment on UFC's marketing strategy. The winning entry into mmajunkie's The Sunday Junkie;

When seeing Cain Velasquez's total domination of Brock Lesnar at UFC 121, some may rush to the conclusion that the UFC has lost one of its most marketable stars. This notion is entirely inaccurate. In reality, this situation was the best possible for the UFC. The existence of a "Mexican" heavyweight champion will be a catalyst for expansion in the Mexican/Latin American market. While this expansion may not steal Latino fans directly from boxing per se, it will prevent younger people from that demographic from getting into boxing in the first place – and in doing so, drive another nail into boxing's coffin. Latin Americans have a reputation as avid fight fans, and their presence in MMA will be a boon to the sport's and the UFC's popularity. Also, Lesnar on the comeback trail certainly will draw more viewers and PPV dollars than Velasquez would have. Therefore, UFC marketing still is in a strong position.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:56 am

How come Big John was back in the UFC? Shocked
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:06 am

not sure, but he has been back in a couple of recent events.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 am

i read he is able to work a deal with strikeforce and ufc and various others in us.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am

payneNglory1 wrote:

Are you working your prediction points out?

have you retaken the lead and do you know who I owe a prize too ?

I had a quick look last night and I think it might be between you and Shanemc

Not sure if i've retaken the lead, but Cain definately helped me in that respect! Laughing

I had a shocker for UFC120 so would be very surprised to have the top score!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:

Fight of the Night: Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
    Knockout of the Night: Cain Velasquez
    Submission of the Night: Daniel Roberts

sweet! cheers
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:21 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:How come Big John was back in the UFC? Shocked

He works for the California State Athletic Commission, they appointed him to cover a couple of fights.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 am

Oh yeah i forgot to say, what are your thoughts on the judge who scored Sanchez-Thiago 30-26?!

It was a clear and easy 29-28 as the other two judges had.

Some judges are crazy!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 pm

great event, was pleased to see Cain win like that. Lesnar clearly didnt put in the work sparring and for the 2nd fight in a row shit himself when he got hit. Brock spent a training camp lifting weights and being told he was gods gift to MMA. Cain worked his balls off and the results speak for themselves.

Cain IMO really is the legit number 3 as pointed out. I think JDS is the best Heavy in the UFC, I think he would also have put Lesnar away, Im busting to see him vs Cain because he is probabally the only top Heavy Cain wont choose to keep it standing again. Cain could keep Carwin or Mir on the feet and batter them but I assume he will want to take JDS down. Then we will see JDS ground game and Cains sub defence which for the number 1 and 2 guys in an organisation are fairly un tested at high level...

Diego vs Thaigo was a war! So lads he won. I also think Shields didnt diserve to win. He lost the round he got rocked sencelss with Knees and I think it was the 3rd round Kampmann won 3-4 mins but Shields finished the last 1-2 mins on top and the judges stupidly see the last 1 min as being more improtant than the 1st 4. Shields doesnt diserve a shot without getting through Fitch IMO.

Gonzaga choked again, All that tallent 0 agression. What a waste.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah that 30-26 score card was rediculas,how the hell could Diego have won that 1st rd.
    I thought Diego was great in rds 2 and 3 but neither were a 10 -8 rds.
    That was a great performance from Diego,that slam was great,really got the crowd and myself at home buzzing,absolutely great fight to watch.
    Thats the kind of agression we want to see from fighters,especially when you have an opponent in a dominent posistion.

I had Kampmann winning that fight,29-28.
    I'm not crying robbery about it though,since as we all know,the way fights are scored is not clear,so some judges will score more for control,than actually strikes,which based on that Sheilds won.
    Sheilds gassed early,but there is no denying how good his ground game is though,the controll,technique and fluidity he showed on the ground,especially in the first rd,was really nice to watch,just wish he could add some agression and strikes to it.
    Sheilds should have to take another fight,before he gets a title shot after that performance.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to the weight cut but It's a good job for him that his first fight in the UFC,wasn't for the Title,because GSP would of embarrassed him.
    I think the Sheilds that fought the other night,would of easily been beaten by Fitch also.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm

So how do you see a Sheilds-GSP fight going then, assuming Sheilds adjusts better to the cut etc etc? Who'll be trying harder to get it down to the ground? You think GSP may want to keep it standing?
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Looking forward to the JDS vs Cain fight now, surprised to see a couple of people favouring JDS tho, his striking is great, however he struggled a bit against Nelson I thought, if he doesn't or can't finish his opponent with his boxing he doesnt seem to have anything else, Cain is much more well rounded, I can see Cain dominating what is a faily weak Heavyweight division, unless Jon jones moves up, that would be a great fight in 18 months or so.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

I can't see Sheilds beating him at all to be honest,especially in a 5 rd fight.

I don't think GSP has to worry to much about being subbed,(or pounded out for that matter)It'll be Sheilds biggest threat,but i can't see it.
    Even if he does get GSP down,I can't see him keeping him there,if Kampmann can get up that many times,GSP should have no troubles,since he is far more explosive,Sheilds is an absolute zero threat standing and he's not going to pound GSP out with them pillow fists either,GSP is quicker and is more than capable of keeping this fight standing if he wants,we also know GSP won't gas at all and will push a pace,that i have my doubts that shields will be able to keep up with,without crashing,GSP has also already out wrestled great wrestlers,who also have great cardio,like Fitch,Kos and Hughes.

I think GSP dictates the whole fight to be honest,He'll probably keep the majority of this fight standing,tire sheilds out and put him on his back when he wants,where he pounds away,obviously doing it in safe GSP style Wink
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:33 pm

kavik2 wrote:Looking forward to the JDS vs Cain fight now, surprised to see a couple of people favouring JDS tho, his striking is great, however he struggled a bit against Nelson I thought, if he doesn't or can't finish his opponent with his boxing he doesnt seem to have anything else, Cain is much more well rounded, I can see Cain dominating what is a faily weak Heavyweight division, unless Jon jones moves up, that would be a great fight in 18 months or so.

If a 30-26 fight is struggling then i don't know what planet you're on. The only reason Nelson survived that fight was he has a great chin, it went the distance through no fault of JDS's.

A Cain- JDS fight will be a great competitive fight be it on the feet or on the ground, both fighters have shown to have good standup although JDS holds the obvious advantage, and Cain has shown a good groundgame, whereas JDS hasn't, however he has been training with Blackhouse for a good few years now so you can bet that he is a pretty legit brown belt in BJJ.

Cardio could prove crucial and although JDS tired a little towards the end of the Nelson fight, he has had plenty of time to correct that problem and also will hopefully be a bit more conservative of his energy in a title fight.

Whoever wins this fight will have a legit claim to be No.1 HW in the world IMO, can't wait What a Face

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:33 am