THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+19
The_Axe_Emperor
james_hampton
pinsman
mikeyboybisping
Paolo_73
sunthunder
hendos_right_hook
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
KalDog
redmeanie77
Albion_Oakley
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
great_ginger_10
Ginginho
Shanemc
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
23 posters

Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Empty Re: Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 05, 2010 8:42 pm

I wish I had a PS3, Dan Severn in in the new UFC game for PS3!

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 50504_jpg_format_dan_severn
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Empty Re: Hall of Fame *Under Construction*

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 06, 2010 4:21 pm

GSP is Going into the Hall of Fame for sure, 28 or not I think he diserves in, he is already a former UCC champ and 2X UFC Champ and has defended 5 times, beat Sherk, Serra, Hughes, Penn, Alves, Fitch etc... Im going to add GSP later.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Cases for other fighters.....

Tito Ortiz: 15/7/1
    .Former UFC Lhw champ
    .Defended the Belt 5 times.
    .Beat: Forrest, Wanderlei, Shammy, Belfort, Mezger, Matyushenko

Don Frye: 20/8/1
    .2X UFC Tournament winner
    .Went 15-1 in his early career
    .Pioneer of cross training
    .Beat: Shammy, Tank, Goodridge, Amaury Bitetti, Yvel

Igor Vovchanchyn: 49/10/1
    .Went Undefeated in 32 fights (finished 41 of 49)
    .Beat: Yuki Kondo, Sakuraba, Goodridge, Yvel, Mark Kerr

Pat Miletich: 29/7/2
    .Former UFC Ww Champ
    .Won UFC Lw tournament
    .Defended the Belt 4 times
    .Beat: Shonie Carter, Drew with Severn!

Jens Pulver: 22/12/1
    .Former UFC Lw Champ
    .Defended the belt 2 times
    .Beat: Stevenson, Penn, Uno, Hallman, Cub Swanson, Joe Jordan

Rampage Jackson: 30/7/0
    .Former UFC Lhw Champ
    .Defended once
    .Beat: Wanderlei, Liddell, Minowaman, Igor, Hendo, Arona, Randleman, Lindland

Ricco Rodriguez: 41/11/0
    .Former UFC Hw Champ
    .Beat: Arlovski, Monson, Couture, Buentello, Goodridge, (Nog)

----------------------------------------------------------------

They are the names that have been batted about and are on the just missed out list... who do people feel is the most diserving? Is it too early to put Rampage in?

I dont think the likes of Rickson Gracie etc.. should go in as they dont have enough MMA fights under their belt. Guys who help evolve the sport may get a special mention somehwere but for now just fighers.

How from the above list most diserves a spot? Am I missing anyone? Should I add a few of them? After looking at their qualifications on Paper some look much better than others!!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 06, 2010 4:45 pm

How about do a poll to see who of those deserves to be in?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Suppose thats an Idea... Ill give it a go later (As long as you can vote multiple options cause im sure some people want more than one)

Chesty is doing a top job on the pictures. Any other Ideas for the HOF? Think we should put a short description under every figher? Put them in any sort of order?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 06, 2010 6:05 pm

"Chesty is doing a top job on the pictures. Any other Ideas for the HOF? Think we should put a short description under every figher? Put them in any sort of order?"

The description thing is a good idea Ben, but putting them in order IMO would be very difficult as i bet everyone would disagree. Could always give it a try though Laughing

Just looking at your just missed out list and with the short details you've give of there careers, titles held, fighters beaten etc, i've gotta say Rampage does look very impressive compared to the others. Ricco too Cool
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Tito aswell being the longest reigning 205 champion, beating all those guys mentioned, was the face of UFC during MMA's push towards main stream popularity.

Also contributed to development of MMA, by further developing the GnP especially from guard and the elbows and using the cage to his advantage.. etc.

Thats actually pretty important when you think about it and very relevant to how MMA is now. Coleman gets alot of credit for the early days of UFC but Tito was the one who really had major success with it and perhaps had more of an impact to nowadays.

Guess its obvious who im voting for Laughing I mentioned Ricco a few times on this thread also.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Yep you're right there about Tito, Red. Ricco gets my vote cheers cheers cheers cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu May 06, 2010 7:52 pm

long, harsh post coming up....

if i had to pick three of those guys to go in...

i would pick Igor 3 times.
    Undefeated in 32 fights? largely in the barekncukle days, and fighting as a tiny heavyweight.
    he beat MARK FUCKING KERR!!!!!! regardless of what that means now, a small light heavyweight beat the undefeated 260 lb man regarded unanimously #1 fighter in the world is incredible.
    (edit: i'm talking about the first fight when he beat him but it was changed to a no contest, i forgot they fought again Igor won via UD.)

you can't really say that he never won any belts, he won a whopping 7 tournaments. look at his record, his first 30 fights took place on about 10 nights.

lets not forget he had an epic chin, only KO loss to Crocop, and 60-2 in kickboxing, one of the losses to Hoost (remember how big Igor is.) i think he is one of the best strikers ever in mma.
    and as a former (arguable) p4p number one that helps his case.

=====================

Tito?
    NO WAY!

going 1-1 with Forrest, 0-2 with Chuck getting KO'd twice, 1-1 with Guy Mezger, pickem victories over MWs Vitor and Wand doesnt get you in, especially when you are a ridiculous weight cutter and got spanked by Randy.

=====================

Frye? I'm gonna say no.
    Sorry to be cut-throat but he was simply not a great fighter and thats all there is to it. He was just tough, even in the Shamrock fight he won by being tough and getting both his ankles broken
    he was dominated by Minowa and James Thompson.
    His best win is Tank, who is like...10-15 but was in form at the time.

he went 2-1 with Gary Goodridge, 2 wins by submission to "position" and "fatigue" and a nasty KO loss.
    Yvel was a DQ victory.

he isnt on the level of some of the other candidates.

=====================

As soon as we start counting people based on their non-fighting acheivments, i think Pat is first in line based on addition of coaching and fighting acheivments Very Happy

after Igor he is the guy i would want in, though i may still hold out because he never really beat many world class fighters.

he was an innovator though.
    who was proficient in every area before Pat?
    no-one!

Mach?(another that needs to be considered) i guess Frank Shamrock was close.

===================

Pulver.

lets be honest here....

his crowning acheivments are having very close fights with Uno and BJ, if Guy Mezger had had Jens rub we would be talking about him here instead.
    what else has he done? knocked out a 16 year old Joe Stevenson? thats just cruel!

===================

I dont think Rampage get in.

he had one title defence before losing to Forrest Griffin.
    he was number one in his division for a matter of a few months.
    he wasn't really an innovator, unless you count scoop slams, which i dont because they havent caught on Very Happy

==================

Ricco?

my biggest fear about putting Ricco in is that we would be forced to put Timmeh in.

and that will happen over my cold lifeless body.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Wandi and Vitor have combined fought about 3 times at 185.

Losing once to Forrest means you cant get in? Someone tell Shogun and Rampage they cant get in until they go 2-1 with Forrest then. Exclamation

And cutting weight is supposed to diminish your qualities as a fighter, but the serial roiders Barnett and Coleman are in with no questions asked. lol
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 06, 2010 8:34 pm

GSP is Going into the Hall of Fame for sure

cheers cheers

For the rest, you know I'd only really consider Pulver. He was really the first ever underdog guy and remember, he is a small FW, nevermind LW and he still comfortably beat BJ Penn. I can understand why he wouldn't go in but if Igor gets credit for being small and beating no one, Pulver deserves credit.

Looking at the other guys (long harsh post):

Igor: Really? He was a good fighter but he is way below the standard of every other fighter on the HOF list. 32 fights unbeaten and only one really good win, which was against an undersized Sakuraba. Thats it, his next biggest win in that streak was against GARY GOODBRIDGE! Twice. Who are his biggest wins after Saku? Kerr? 15 and 11 Kerr? Great grappler, Great documantry, average MMA fighter. After he lost to Igor he lost his next 4 fights including Al-Turk.

He has some ok wins, Yvel, Kondo, Enson and Overoid's brother. But lets look at those guys. Yvel is a one dimensional thug, who has only started to bring other facets into his game. Igor fought Yvel in 2001.

Kondo is OK, just OK never anything special.

Enson's ok as well, great actor but never world class and when Igor beat him he was nearing the end of his career. In the middle of a 4 fight losing streak.

Overoid's brother sucks, if he wan't Overoid's brother no one would give a shit about him. His record is like Jason Guida's. Overeem is a terrible fighter, look at some of his losses. His biggest win in recent memory is over Ross Pointon.

So overall he isn't that great, certainly not a HOF fighter IMO. Look at some of his losses as well. Sperry, Herring, Nakamura. His K1 record counts for shit when your considering an MMA HOF.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ortiz: Unlikely now, if his career ends right now he won't get in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frye: I really don't so. Very enjoyable character but that means we have to put Tom Lawler in this HOF. A tough guy but never a great fighter. Or even good.

I'd like for Pat to get in. He did win a tourtument and win a belt and defended it a few times. That was good enough for someone to get in Rolling Eyes He doesn't have many great wins though.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hold out on Rampage for now, comeback after his next few fights. If he beats Evans and becomes champion then he is definitley in. Still too early to tell, give him a little bit.

Same applies for Ricco.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu May 06, 2010 9:01 pm

nobody fucked with a prime Mark Kerr, he was world #1 when Igor stopped him and Igor is basically a midget at heavyweight, CROCOP dwarfed him.
    loads of people seem to have a problem doing this: AT THE TIME the likes of Enson, Valentijn, even Goodridge, these are BIG wins.
    there is a reason you have heard of these guys, its because they used to be top fighters.
    i'm not saying Igor can hang with anyone in the top 10 of lhw or hw today, even in his prime he would struggle. But so would most of the hall of fame. These guys are the foundations of MMA and Igor was the king of the hill, at least for a bit.

I think Igor is clearly the best option here.

ok red so wand and vitor are not really 185ers. but Titos biggest wins have been split decisions and he lost to the top fighters he faced.

his title run is like Pat's, long and unimpressive.

I would hesitate on putting GSP in just yet, obviously he is one for the future, but i think he hasnt been around very long, and he is still young. Just like Shogun.
    BJ has been around since he was a kid, and Fedor has been around 10 years and has loads of fights.
    Anderson is borderline, but to be hall of fame i think most of the book must first be written on your carreer.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Nobody fucked with him because everyone was shit. Look at his victories, litterly not one top fighter in his first 10 fights. Cikatic is an excellent kickboxer but a can in MMA. 0-2 and he the loss to Kerr was a DQ for grapping the ropes Laughing

He beat Enson, ok thats his biggest win ever. He lost to Iron head after that so he couldn't have been the best in the world. After that everything went belly up for him.

Enson maybe was a big win back then. Overeem wasn't when Igor beat him, he lost to Goodridge and Asuerio Silva. Much like Kerr, after that lost he completely fucked his career up. Even back then Goodridge was OK, he still lost to the better fighters and barely had any good wins.

The majority of our HOF, in there prime would be top 10. Igor would not be. Tito created some foundations for MMA today but yet you seem hell bent on him going in Laughing

A HOF canditate for me is someone who can go through the years and still compete at the highest level. Generation after generation of fighter, they would still be near the top. Fedor would do that, GSP would do that, BJ would do that, most of the HOF would do that. Would Igor? no.

Pulver on the other hand has a better case. His biggest win far surpasses Igor's biggest win. Also, its not just a 16 year old Stevenson he KOed. He KOed Phil Johns, a 30-13 fighter and was a solid 160 pound fighter. Pulver a natural BW KOed him. Who else, he KOed world class grappler Lewis, a decent sized WW and he beat Dennis Hallman, at the time one of the best Razz Add BJ, Uno and Swanson to that list and its pretty solid.

Lets say for arguments sake Igor does have the best argument to get in out of this lot. It doesn't mean he deserves to go in just because he is better than these guys.

Tim Sylvia has a better reason to go in to the HOF than Faulkner or Pointon, but it doesn't mean he should go in.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

BTW, just a little update.

It looks like We have one vote for Tito, one vote for Ricco, one vote for Igor and if you couldn't tell I'm going with my boy Pulver.

So this has turned out to be a horrible idea because no one can agree on anything which is to be expected really Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat May 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 2d9z8cy

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 24dne3l

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 10pd8nk
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat May 08, 2010 9:18 pm

That Mirko one has to be the best yet!! Good job mate Ill get these up right now.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat May 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Funaki's flag is missing in the bottom right of the picture.... not to be a prefectionish but if its no hastle to change...
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue May 11, 2010 11:16 am

Middleweight Grand Prix champ'03 is not on Wandy's plaque- should it not be?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat May 29, 2010 6:37 pm

sorry i neglected this for a bit, i was pretty busy.

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hofchuck
    Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hofbas
    Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hofanderson

and here is the fixed ones:
    Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hofwand-1
    Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hoffunaki
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

more:

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hofcoleman

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Hofgomi-1
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat May 29, 2010 9:17 pm

You are a champion among men! Laughing

Good job mate, they look the ticket as usual! The Bas one is outstanding!!

cheers
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat May 29, 2010 9:43 pm

3 more to got, or 4 If were putting GSP in yet.... What you think?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat May 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Hall of Fame *Under Construction* - Page 10 Matt-hughes-hof-induction

Dana White inducting Matt Hughes into the Armbar Hall of Fame "the most Legit HOF goingTM" Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat May 29, 2010 10:03 pm

not for putting in GSP just yet.

he hasnt been aroud long enough.

the other guys sitll at the top of their game:
    Fedor, BJ, Barnett have been around for 10+ years, especially Barnett.

and Anderson is close to retirement.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat May 29, 2010 11:01 pm

How many fights has Anderson left on his deal? 3 or 4? I reckon, Sonnen, Belfort, GSP and possibly Shogun.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat May 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Im not sure did he sign a new one? I though he was suppose to retire in 2010, it was a time rather than a number of fights but I thought I heard he had signed quite a big contract. Anderson could be around for a while especially if the fights are there at Lhw for him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 pm