THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
ChelseaQuinsfan
payneNglory1
George_Louis_Costanza@who
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
hendos_right_hook
redmeanie77
13 posters

UFC 110 (Spoilers) !

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 110 (Spoilers) ! - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 110 (Spoilers) !

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Striking skills - who cares?
    Grappling skills - who needs them?

Ben Rothwell has weight and a bandanna!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:59 pm

I had Rothwell to win this fight, but after i saw the Crocop fight, i am more confident that Rothwell can beat Crocop. Crocop did not get any better, he could have done the same performance when he was getting beat by the likes of Kongo etc.

You can make excuses that he was sandbagging last night, but i just dont he has gotten his head sorted, i reckon Rothwell would over-whelm him in the 2nd and 3rd round and Crocop would just shy away as before.

But we shall see, im glad Dana still wantsthe fight with Rothwell to go ahead. I think the winner of the any of those 4 kickboxer s fight is a step above Crocop to be honest. Crocop should fight someone coming off a loss.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Commedy gold, this Prick is offended to be compared to Fedor! He is more worried about the fact he doesnt look like a hardcase...

"Dont look like a Figher?, Ill show you who looks like a figher"

Time for a Makeover

UFC 110 (Spoilers) ! - Page 3 Ufc_104_weighin012

Rothwell would maby have been better spending some time with a Wrestling coach as oppose to a style coach before his fight with Cain. Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:02 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:I had Rothwell to win this fight, but after i saw the Crocop fight, i am more confident that Rothwell can beat Crocop. Crocop did not get any better, he could have done the same performance when he was getting beat by the likes of Kongo etc.

You can make excuses that he was sandbagging last night, but i just dont he has gotten his head sorted, i reckon Rothwell would over-whelm him in the 2nd and 3rd round and Crocop would just shy away as before.

But we shall see, im glad Dana still wantsthe fight with Rothwell to go ahead. I think the winner of the any of those 4 kickboxer s fight is a step above Crocop to be honest. Crocop should fight someone coming off a loss.

Yeah mate on any of the Aboves currently form Id expect them to kick lumps out of Crocop... Buentello is more of a boxer though, but he is hard as nails and a pretty good boxer, he troubled OVereem on the feet so I think he would batter Mirko. Barry would hurt him.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 pm

dont forget he has the wol'd best sponsor: EXTENZEE - the manhood enlargement pills!

Why do people always want to put crocop in with an elite striker????

his striking isnt what it used to be and his superb takedown defense would be put to waste vs another striker.

Rothwell has the Fedor hairstyle ill give him that.

If Mirko takes Rothwell seriously i think he will win. It would help him if Ben talked trash beforehand, look at when Wand said he hated him! one of the most brutal KOs and best performances ever!

honestly think Crocop would destroy Monson.

Sylvia? i think Mirko beat him too if he is smart but it would be interesting to see.

---

anfield Marcelo Garcia - i dont count as an mma fighter, and Aoki was already mentioned.

Kitaoka and Aoki train together and it is acknowledged that Kitaoka is the superior grappler.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Mirko at his best was so much better than any of those 4 it's not even funny. Right now, he's still better than them. He'd clearly been told before the Perosh fight not to get hurt because they were moving the Rothwell fight. Wait and see how he is against Rothwell before flushing his career.

Chesty, acknowledged by who and when? Aoki has improved a huge amount in the last year since he started to work regularly with Eddie Bravo and has a far better grappling pedigree than Kitoaka. Aoki is a BB in Judo as well as BJJ and has better clinch grappling than Kitaoka as well as IMO a superior ground game.

Shaolin is better than George and Kitaoka as well.

You don't count Marcelo Garcia as an MMA fighter? Well, he is an MMA fighter. He should be fighting a couple of times this year.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Oh, and BJ has a better ground game than George and Kitaoka as well.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 pm

We should make a thread about grappling, and how we rank the guys like Roger gracie,Xande Ribeiro, Estima, Jacare, Marcello etc.

^^^ This actually my top 5 Wink
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 pm

well obviously he is an mma fighter.

but he isnt relevant because he is 0-1, he lost by a cut to an unknown korean guy 3 years ago.
    a fight between him and george would not be competitive at all.

Kitaoka manhandles Aoki in training i am sure of it, i just cannot find a source Mad

p.s. BJ was mentioned in the other post aswell.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 am

I missed the post with BJ and Aoki.

I read about two years ago that Kitaoka was the better grappler between himself and Aoki but Aoki has improved massively since then and Kitaoka has, IMO regressed.

The last time i was at ATT Marcelo was the talk of the gym. He's really been working hard and improving. He spends most of time working his stand-up with JZ and the Pitbull. I think he'll surprise a lot of people when he comes back. He's actually a small LW and might cut to FW. You should see him roll with Tibau and JZ. Both of them are a lot bigger than him and he just makes them look really poor. Tibau is Black belt and JZ is a brown belt(i think) and he just schools them time and time again.

His lost was a bullshit loss. He was easily winning the fight, how his opponent survived the first round is beyond me. Start of the second he got caught with a knee while going for a takedown, and then the fight was just stopped. No doctor's checked the cut, the ref just stopped the fight because his opponent's corner told him to stop the fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 am

Marcelo vs Xande:

As Goldie would say, "Classy".
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:33 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Just finished watching the event.

From the top, wow what a performance from Velasquez. Really excellent, dissapointed for Nog but Velasquez looked incredible, he showed excellent standup. He is right up there with Fedor, Lesnar and Mir right now, sensational. He probably will fight the JDS/Gonzaga winner now which I don't like. I think JDS has the better hands but Velasquez would dominate that fight with his wrestling. Really impressed with Cain, regretting doubting him now.

Have to say I wasn't impressed with Wandy yesterday. He didn't look good, Belcher or Coté would have beat him comfortably yesterday, nevermind Sonnen or Belfort. If Bisping can take Wandy down, imagine what Sonnen would do. Bisping could have done a lot more to win that fight but he is just an average fighter, dissapointing really. Wandy will have to improve massivley if he wants to contend for the title, because right now Silva vs Silva would be a massacare. Bisping's punches have no power behind them at all, its embarassing and if it was someone like Coté behind those punches he would KOed Wandy. Still first fight at MW, so the only way is up.

George has a fantastic ground game, just wow. His control was fantastic, only Aoki, Shaolin and BJ have better ground games at LW, don't know about Ben Stiller. I think George would lose to Maynard and BJ would decimate him but he is a legit contender now, good to see another guy learning to fight of his back. Jon Fitch recently said that fighting off your back was dead in MMA unless you were Maia or Aoki so good to see another guy using it.

BTW, if George is that good, how incredible is Marcelo Garcia? Shocked

I've rated Ryan Bader since he KOed Tom Lawler, he looked good yesterday. Jardine is a tough opponent and he beat Griffin not long after he won TUF. Bader passed the test. The thing is all the power is there for Bader, he has freakish power but the accuracy isn't there. He needs to sharpen that up and he can be a really dangerous fighter. Not sure who is next for him, possibly Hammil, possibly the winner of Bones vs Vera or maybe even T Silva. Not sure whats next for Jardine, It would be harsh to cut him looking at his last couple of opponents, he can be kept as a gatekeeper. If he does get cut then Id like to see him in Strikeforce or even Shine fights.

Cro Cop dominated poor Perosh, he beat the shit out of him. I think he wanted to have fun out there rather than go out and finish the fight in 30 seconds. His sprawl was as ever terrfic, Tosswell is next.

YEEE Lythle, I love that guy. I think he is such an underated fighter, amazing to think he has 15 decision losses. A lucky punch here and there and he could have made something more out of his career but as always he was exciting. That fight was really exciting up to that point but a very nice knee bar applied. Fucked Foster up to be fair.

Lythle vs Rumble would be a war.

Dissapointed in Reljic but happy for Dollaway, I think has some potentiol but he needs to work on defeding submissions and on his standup. Good win over a tough guy, CB vs the winner of Belcher/Coté sounds like a good fight. Its been said before but I'll say it again, Arizona State University must have had some wrestling team with Velasquez, Bader and Dollaway in there side.

Good event overall that has created and recreated stars.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Sorry didn't mean to repost the whole thing but there it is, I mentioned Aoki, Sholin and BJ. Garcia I didn't count because its not just fair! There is a nice clip of him owning Sotiropulous though. I forgot about Kitakou as well, better than George, nowhere near as good as Garcia but there with BJ, Aoki and Shaolin.

Who has a better ground game, Sotiropulus or Ben Stiller? To be fair, Ben completely owned Joe in there fight and submitted him inside a round and since then has improved.

Just on Cro Cop

People are being too harsh on him, I think he wanted to gain his confidence back by slowly battering an opponent out of his depth. He would beat Rothwell I think and hurt him.

Cro Cop vs Buentello would be a win for Cro Cop easily, Buentello is a slightly above average fighter and if Struve can leg kick him like he did, Cro Cop would take his leg off.

Cro Cop vs Kongo would be intresting. Not sure what would happen, Id actually like to see Cro Cop take Kongo down.

Cro Cop vs Barry would be great, Barry could probably have the advantage on the feet right now but he has a terrible ground game and I think Cro Cop could actually submit him!

Cro Cop is a miserable matchup for Monson, Jeff has the worst striking ever and Cro Cop has the best takedown defence ever so it would be a demolition job.

Last edited by ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 pm

hendos_right_hook wrote:Yes, Nog looked slow and old, I thought he would. And your right, a decision win against Couture now is not enough to propel you to contention with the best.

Although if your name is Randy Couture beating an old and saggy Mark Coleman (still big props to the Hammer) apparently puts you in line for a shot at the light heavy weight title... Dana really does love Captain America.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:52 pm

I think the main thing that showed was the limitations of the unified rules. Both Wanderlei's and Cro Cop's opponents shot in with lazy take downs that both the Axe Murderer and Filipovic were able to sprawl through easily. If either fight had been fought in PRIDE both Perosh and Bisping would have been kneed unconscious (let alone Wanderlei almost soccer kicking Bisping, a PRIDE flash back methinks!) I really do miss knees to the head...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Fucking right mate, I was also watching a Belfast fighter Peter Slam Duncan on BAMMA, he is a mate of a mate and he was kneeing his opponent senceless on the ground because he stayed in dominant positions, Had he been allowed to knee the head his opponent wouldnt have had a choice to weather the storm of knees or not... because they would be landing in his face not his ribs!

Wanderlei went to Kick Bispings head in! Laughing funny that old habits die hard! I think if he had of instinctivle punched him insted he would have won TKO.

I hate the no knees rules, Id happily swap upkicks for knees on the ground.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:36 pm

An article on MMAbay which blasts the judges decision to give rd 2 to Wandi.

The middleweight contest between Michael “The Count” Bisping and Wanderlei” The Axe Murderer” Silva may not have been as straight forward as many first thought after it appears the Brit outscored the Brazilian in the second round of their fight.

Whilst you can clearly give round one to Bisping and round three to Silva, the whole fight hinges on what turned out to be a very interesting second round between the pair. The two big moments in the round went to Silva (sweeping the leg from under the Brit and locking up the guillotine) but apart from that it was all Bisping, scoring with two well timed takedowns and a number of crisp punches which left Silva’s face a mess by the end of the round.

If you take the partisan Silva crowd out of the equation as well as the incessant cheerleading of UFC colour commentator, Joe Rogan by muting your volume you will see that apart from these two brief moments it is Bisping that gets the better of nearly every exchange, landing punches and knees to great effect as he circles away. On top of that you will notice every time Silva stuffs a takedown from the Brit, it is Bisping that lands a series of telling blows on the exit, something that was seemingly missed by the hapless judges on the night.

Once again the UFC hype machine seems to have swayed not only the judges but the fans in attendance and watching around the world into believing “The Axe Murderer” is back in business. You only have to watch the Countdown to UFC 110 show to see how much time was devoted to Silva and in turn to the Brit.

After watching the fight again, i think Wandi is lucky to come away from that fight with a W. The judges could easily have given rd 2 to Bisping. If it wasnt for that 30 second flurry at end of rd 2 and 3 then Wandi would have lost.

However i think the choke Wandi had on just gives him the 2nd round as he was closer to win the fight, but we know UFC judges dont always view it like that. Pride judging concentrated more on effort to finish the fight.

Poor performance by Wandi. Crying or Very sad
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Obviously I take back everything I said about Cain, He is obviously the real deal and doesnt "Just have wrestling" as I have previously claimed.
    Sotiropoulos Very much impressed me as well.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:An article on MMAbay which blasts the judges decision to give rd 2 to Wandi.

The middleweight contest between Michael “The Count” Bisping and Wanderlei” The Axe Murderer” Silva may not have been as straight forward as many first thought after it appears the Brit outscored the Brazilian in the second round of their fight.

Whilst you can clearly give round one to Bisping and round three to Silva, the whole fight hinges on what turned out to be a very interesting second round between the pair. The two big moments in the round went to Silva (sweeping the leg from under the Brit and locking up the guillotine) but apart from that it was all Bisping, scoring with two well timed takedowns and a number of crisp punches which left Silva’s face a mess by the end of the round.

If you take the partisan Silva crowd out of the equation as well as the incessant cheerleading of UFC colour commentator, Joe Rogan by muting your volume you will see that apart from these two brief moments it is Bisping that gets the better of nearly every exchange, landing punches and knees to great effect as he circles away. On top of that you will notice every time Silva stuffs a takedown from the Brit, it is Bisping that lands a series of telling blows on the exit, something that was seemingly missed by the hapless judges on the night.

Once again the UFC hype machine seems to have swayed not only the judges but the fans in attendance and watching around the world into believing “The Axe Murderer” is back in business. You only have to watch the Countdown to UFC 110 show to see how much time was devoted to Silva and in turn to the Brit.

After watching the fight again, i think Wandi is lucky to come away from that fight with a W. The judges could easily have given rd 2 to Bisping. If it wasnt for that 30 second flurry at end of rd 2 and 3 then Wandi would have lost.

However i think the choke Wandi had on just gives him the 2nd round as he was closer to win the fight, but we know UFC judges dont always view it like that. Pride judging concentrated more on effort to finish the fight.

Poor performance by Wandi. Crying or Very sad

Red have you been smoking crack on your lunchbreak today!! Laughing

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/2/21/1320875/ufc-110-compustrike-fight-stats

He won the 3rd without a doubt, nearly KOing him. In the 2nd he landed MORE strikes than Bisping and nearly finished with the Choke... Bispings hand went out to tap, It was in tight. Theres no doubt Wanderlei won 2 and 3. Bisping TD's were keeping him in it but every TD he scored Wanderlei was back up. Plus Anfield and me gave the last round a 10-8 because if a guy being saved from being finished by the bell when he dropped and defenceless isnt 10-8 I dont know what is! Again Judges seem to have literally no testicles and are scaredto give 10-8's
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Shogun had to prevent himself from scoring a conversion on Chuck's head at UFC 97 after the knockdown, Chuck was lucky it was UFC and the worst he could do was hammerfists.

and i think Fedor had a similar thing against Rogers.

Fedor, WAnd, Shogun, Crocop all took advantage of the PRIDE rules regularly and the old habits die hard like you said.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:41 pm

I agree Wandi won round 2 and 3. Im just saying the UFC judging criteria recenty (mainly awarding takedowns and not foccusing on who was closer to finnish the fight) they could have given rd 2 to Bisping.

It not so much that im saying Bisping was robbed, im just saying thank goodness Wandi woke up and got Bisping in a choke and stole the 2nd rd or else he would have lost.

I may not have very clear in my first post. Also i have given up on jugdes scoring 10-8 rounds regardless how close Wandi was to finishing him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:47 pm

I don't really like soccer kicks to be honest, it doesn't take skill to kick someone in the head. For those WWE fans, if soccer kicks were alive, Randy Orton would be the best P4P fighter Laughing

Its fine for some events but I don't want it implemented permanantley.

Bisping won the first round 10-9, Wandy just won the second 10-9 (barely) and he easily won the third, and easily could have been a 10-8.

Imagine if Coté was fighting yesterday. His striking is much better than Bisping's, his power is on a whole other level as his chin. He would have picked Wandy apart and dropped him a few times. Wandy wouldn't have edged the second round because Coté doesn't get dropped Cool
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:54 pm

you are biased towards canadians.

he has power and great chin but is fairly sloppy and is only a striker really.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:10 pm

I wouldn't say im that biased towards canadians, GSP and Coté just happen to be two of my favourite fighters but I'd take Franklin over Coté any day. I wanted Tuscherer to beat Hauge for example and I hope Goulet losses every fight he fights.

I think Belcher would have beat Wandy yesterday as well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am