THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Anfields5thKing
Once Mohawked Pete
paul815
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
mikeyboybisping
15 posters

Mark Coleman v Randy Couture

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Mark Coleman v Randy Couture - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark Coleman v Randy Couture

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 pm

He's hugely over-rated. Look at his record.

He's been given a lot title shots that he didn't deserve over the years.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:41 am

Good Buildup, actually going to enjoy this one, Randhy has been branded boring quickly... His fight with Nog was one of the best fights last year, the Vera fight wasnt good but he will be trying to work his boxing a lot against Coleman...

Randy is a bit over rated. Look at the big fights of his career...

2-1 with Belfort
    1-2 with Liddell
    2-0 with Rizzo

Beat Tito, Gonzaga, Sylvia, Randleman

Lost to, Barnett, Lesnar, Rodriguez, Nog

His other losses in his early career are bad... V.Overeem, Enson Inoue, Mikhail Illoukhine

Other wins in his early career Mo Smith, and Vera in a fight I think he lost.

Thinking about what Anfield says, he was given Title shots. In MMA belts dont mean as much as Boxing because fighters are granted Title shots on things like Marketability etc.. and not a ranking system. Apart from all those Titles Coutures career has seen him loose every other fight against top level competition. But then again fighters like him and Penn are better than their record suggest because they are fighting top guys in nearly every fight... Guys who fought in Pride tend to have a lot more Cans on their record but were more active.

Randy is still a Legend, for me a level below Liddell and Wandy so I think a little over rated
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 am

granted fighters are given shots based on marketability in mma, but to say belts mean less than in boxing (about 5 or 6 world belts per division, and there are about 15 divisions) is off the mark.

also Holyfield/Valuev??????
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am

Imn Boxing champs have manditory challengers which will be the number 2 ranked guy. When they arent fighting manditory challengers they can take other fights... I think a non manditory has to be ranked so highly, not 100% on that the non manditory could be the bum of the month but manditory challengers and getting a shot based on rankings make Boxing titles more legit for me.

I wish the WAMMA had done better and got UFC on board, a ranking system for all MMA fighters and a top belt in each weight class across MMA would have been a great thing.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

2-1 with Belfort
    1-2 with Liddell
    2-0 with Rizzo

Beat Tito, Gonzaga, Sylvia, Randleman

Lost to, Barnett, Lesnar, Rodriguez, Nog
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The loss to Belfort was bullshit, he was cut from a piece of tape from the glove, that loss should be erased from memory.

When he lost to Barnett and Rodriguez he was nowhere near his best, plus Barnett was hitting the roids. Also when you consider that Randy has always been around 220 at HW fights, losses to 265 Lesner's and Barnett's isn't that bad.

So far he has probably done the best against Lesner, he looked more impressive in defeat than Mir did look in victory. All the more impressive when you consider Mir and Herring were 245.

When you think of Randy, its not really about his record and you will never consider him as the greatest fighter of all time or anything like that, but he is a phenomanal competitor. He was 34 when he started his career and has always been a tiny HW.

His win over Sylvia, a time when Sylvia was a top 5 HW and looked unbeatable was the stuff of legends and then he dismantled Gonzaga. Do you think Coleman could have done that?

Also not sure where this talk of him being boring comes from, The Vera fight was ok, The Nog fight was incredible, The Lesner fight was fun, the Gonzaga fight was exciting. The most boring fight he has had recently was against Sylvia. EVERY SYLVIA FIGHT IS BORING!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah Mate the Gonzaga and Lesnar fights were good so was the Sylvia fight... Randy inst a dull fighter, it was a tactic to beat Vera, not an exciting one but it wasnt typical of Couture. He did the same against Gonzaga and it was entertaining (and quite Brutal!) I think the Gonzaga performance was his best in recent memory and I think he could be heading downhill from there... and no way could Coleman have done It. Gonzaga would tap Coleman IMO

Fair enough about Vitor but the others are losses, I cant write them off because of size because Crocop and Nog etc.. fight at 220lbs.

Chelsea would you agree probabally a bit behind Liddell and Wanderlei in terms of Legacy or how highly do you rate him?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Ye the Gonzaga fight was an incredible performance from Randy, no one expected that.

Randy is smaller than both Nog and Cro Cop. I know both beat Barnett (IMO Nog Twice and Cro Cop 3 times) but im not sure how they would do against Lesner. Nog would always have a chance to submit him on the ground and possibly has better striking but Lesnar would have a massive strength and size advantage. I think Lesner would be a terrible match up for Cro Cop, it depends if Cro Cop could keep the fight standing, where he has enough power to put Lesnar away. OFc Cro Cop has incredible takedown defence but has he faced anyone as big, strong and as good a wrestler (all combined, I know he has faced bigger opponents and better wreslers) as Lesner?

As for Randy's legacy, ye he is behind those two. As a LHW he is well behind but as an all round fighter he probably gets a little closer, it goes without saying he has aged much better than both Wandy and Chuck. However during there prime they were dismantling fighters right left and centre.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 pm

I once saw an interview with Fedor and he was saying that he would love to fight randy surely that shows the amount of respect Fedor (possibly the greatest figter ever) has for him?

Also I can't remeber another time where I've screamed at the tv in sheer joy, than the time when randy dropped timmeth in the first round of there fight, fookin quality! Give the guy a break he's a legend!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm

lesnar is the perfect match for crocop apart from some japanese can.

at least prime crocop in pride would have his way with Brock, but anyway i feel like i have discussed this before somewhere. Laughing

as for Randy...well i like him as a guy, not as a fighter, and he was always a top guy in a poor division (ufc hw).
    that said i think he could have been one of the best lhes ever if he had stayed there. he handled tito.

anyway you cant use the P.E.D argument to defend any of Handy's losses. cheers
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Bump.

How are people feeling about the fight now? After watching the countdown to 109 last night, i think it could be a much closer fight than i previously was thinking. I think Coleman may have a good chance of getting decision victory if he doesnt gas after first round.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm

I went for Couture in the predictions league because he is favorite, The thing about the league is it doesnt reward risky picks... I might actually stick a few quid on Coleman in the Bookies because he is a big underdog and I dont see why.

Coleman is bigger and Stronger than Couture and should be able to outwrestler him. Couture says he will rely on his Boxing to win, which I think isnt looking that Sharp. Colemans Striking isnt as bad as poeople say, he was beating Shogun to the Jab in Dublin... I think I remember that... had a good bit of homebrewed Cider which made the event a little Hazy! Laughing

So Coutures plan B was to learn some Subbs off his back? Again I dont see Couture having enough time to learn the Slick BJJ he will need to Sub Coleman...

I think this boils down to Couture being a little better of a Boxer and Coleman being a little better a wrestler... like you say if his Cardio holds up this seems a very very close fight. Im actually hoping for Coleman to win.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm

havent seen the countdown show yet, its on espn tonight so i will catch it then.

This is not an easy one to pick.

but i can guarentee Coleman will not gas too hard.

he was fine for the bonnar fight and he now has another full training camp under his belt.

i am pulling for Mark 100%, he has always been one of my favourite fighters.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Yeah i want Coleman to win.

Mainly just to post pictures like this one:

Mark Coleman v Randy Couture - Page 2 129079598792159446
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Yeah i want Coleman to win.

Mainly just to post pictures like this one:

Mark Coleman v Randy Couture - Page 2 129079598792159446

Thats excelent! Laughing cheers

Coleman to win! He is gathering a bit of support on these boards! Would Goldie actually call "hammertime! if he won?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Only because the Pride boys deep down see this as another way to score pts against the UFC.

Twisted Evil
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Now this is more like it.

Mark Coleman v Randy Couture - Page 2 342d1181442027-funny-mma-animated-gifs-ca
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:32 pm

haha this is going to devide support on here... I used to be a big Couture fan, but Id love to see Coleman win after seeing the Smashing Machine, Id love to see him give it one last go, he hasnt been near a title in years and it Couture has had his fair share at title fights! UFC will probabally give him one even if he loose to Coleman and win again!

Payne, No way Coleman is a "Pride guy" Coleman will always be that guy smashing people with headbutts in oldschool UFC for me! Shit checking he had more fights in Pride! fair point mate! Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Got to go with Randy here, I just respect the guy so much. Its not a Pride vs UFC thing I just like Randy more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:36 pm