THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
the_king
7 posters

Randy “The Natural” Couture

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Randy “The Natural” Couture Empty Randy “The Natural” Couture

Post  the_king Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:25 pm

as many people know im a massive Randy “The Natural” Couture fan, and will defend him all the time. iv been a fan of his since his entry into ufc aged 34. but i ask the question does he deserve the hall of fame stature he has. his record is 17-10.

i personally say yes he is but alot of people think that he gets title shots too easy, maybe he does but he is a huge draw and has beaten alot of top guys. i would be interested to know what you guys think,.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Randy “The Natural” Couture Empty Re: Randy “The Natural” Couture

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Randy is a legend, and absolutely deserves HOF stature for all he's done for UFC. It will be difficult for me to see him retire. After 109 he still has 4 fights left in his final contract. But it s possible for him too all t quits after any one of his next fights.

Who do people think, would make a good retirement fight for him? i bet that event would sell like crazy.....
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:56 pm

this is just my opinion but if he beats coleman i think he will fight forrest griffen if he beats him then a title shot.

retirment fight will be when fedor finishes his 3 fight strikeforce contract and randy v fedor leading up to fedor v brock maybe summer 2012. like i say personal opinion.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Dont think Randy and Forrest would fight each other, WHEN he beats Coleman then the Rashad-Rampage loser makes sense. Or Lil Nog depending when he gets back from injury.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm

ok then out of the 3 guys you mentioned who can randy beat.

rashad - maybe if a wrestler rashad turns up
    rampage- yes if he avoids the strikes
    lil nog - i can say yes (dunno why) lol
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:51 pm

TBH, out of those three, I'd say he looses to all. Maybe he'd have a decent chance against Rampage, if Rampage was still in film star mode.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Yeah Couture is a HOF'er without a doubt, I rank him just behind Wanderlei Silva and Chuck Liddell in terms of being an all time great. For the Titles he won, the fighers he has beat and the Age he stayed at the top to. That and Coutureism is the Main religion with my family so saying Couture isnt HOF worthy could cause trouble!!

I think his Technique is constantly getting Better but at his age you have to have lost something Physically. I think Against Vera we really got a glimpse of his Strenth leaving him, In his Prime Couture Doublelegged Liddell and Slammed him, now Vera shruggs off his Double Leg...

Coutures days as a top contender are done... and I dont mean to be harsh, Ive defended Couture when he was called boring but he is getting Dropped in more fights than Nog and whis Wrestling isnt what it used to be. Again Its just age. Couture getting more skilled and rounded made his career last so long, he is one of the real old school guys but he trained and evolved like Modern MMA fighers.

Vera
    Gonzaga
    Liddell
    Tito
    Belfort x2
    Rizzo x2
    Sylvia
    Randleman
    Mo Smith
    Horn

Couture hasnt had an easy fight in 9 years since he has been in the UFC, he fought the number 1 or 2 guy in nearly every fight so his record is excusable, BJ Penn's record is 15-5-1.... In MMA I said Titles dont mean as much to me but Randy has a lot of them! But I also said Records dont matter as much to be, Its more who you beat. Randy has spent neary a decade fighting the top guys in MMA and has won more than he lost. That says it all...

Plus that Guy who Sold Tshirts and Shammy are in! They arent Fit to Carry Randys Jock strap as Larry Holmes said about Marciano!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 pm

the_king wrote:ok then out of the 3 guys you mentioned who can randy beat.

rashad - maybe if a wrestler rashad turns up
    rampage- yes if he avoids the strikes
    lil nog - i can say yes (dunno why) lol

I dont see it anymore, Lil Nog would smash Randy, Better on the Ground and Feet than his Brother, Quicker moving, Harder to hit cause he covers up... Randy wouldnt do well at all.

Evans I think Couture could beat. Evans wouldnt have ducked him otherwise! But its not a given Evans is very quick and his hands could prove a problem seeing as everone has tagged and put Randy in Trouble recently, the fact he is a thinking fighter is nearly evened out by Greg Jackson being in Evans' corner.

Rampage I think he could beat, but with his increasingly worse Punch resistance I think Couture coming off with a KO loss is most Likely. Its not Like Couture would batter him with leg kicks!

Maby Ramapge or Evans but I dont see the Nog fight as winnable at all. Sorry to rain on a Couture article but I think his best days are behind him.... Hope im wrong though!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Randy was never about the record. He was never about being the best fighter of all time and was never about being the most skillfull. He was always a great competitor, he says it all the time he loves to compete which he does to an excellent level.

The guys has no right to accomplish what he has. He started the sport at 34 years of age and he is 45 now and still competing at the highest level. Some of his title shots havn't been earned and some of his reings were short but he beat guys who were at the top of their game.

He beat Maurice Smith, who is terrible today and for large parts of his career but was experienced and had a win over Mark Coleman. For his second title he beat Randleman who is one of the best wrestlers to enter MMA and had some big wins coming into the fight. Randleman was much younger. He defeated Rizzo twice after who was one of the best HWs then. His third title win was probably the biggest shock of all, coming up against Chuck Liddell was outstanding at the time. Randy beat him in 3 rounds and then beat Tito Ortiz who was the other outstanding LHW at the time. He then lost by Bullshit against Belfort but destroyed him in the re-match to get title number 4. He has beaten Belfort once before as well. After that he took a dip in form getting Koed by the best Liddell ever twice and picking a win over Van Arsedale. His 5th win was incredible. Facing Tim Sylvia (I know, I know) who at the time was an excellent fighter. Top 5 HW and had 6 straight wins including Arvloski twice and Monson. Randy, a 43 year old LHW kicked his ass for 5 rounds and its so much better because Sylvia was such a dick. The way he defeated Gonzaga, the guy who Cro Coped Cro Cop in his previous fight was an outstanding performance as well.

Yes I do think he deserves to be a HOFer because he never had the right to be anything more than an average fighter.

As for his retirment plan, Fedor should not be considered. That would be a terrible way for him to go out, 99 per cent sure Fedor win and finished the fight he does not need that as a retirement fight. Maybe as a second last fight or something but not a last fight.

Personally Id like to see him go out against Liddell (which would be his last fight as well) in there fourth match. It would make loads of money and would be a great way for both guys to bow out of the sport.

If not then someone like Kimbo Slice, Huge money involved and a very winnable fight as well.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:30 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Couture hasnt had an easy fight in 9 years

Mike Van Arsdale - August 20th 2005
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 am

Randy absolutely deserves it... if you look up stud in the dictionary there's a picture of him. The guy's done it all - a bit of soldiering, a bit of ass kicking, and a hell of a nice guy as well. His record is meaningless, it's all about the memories, and my abiding memory of Randy will be of a 40-something year old man with the physique of a 25yr old, beating up guys he has no right to be beating up, and always coming back for more just for the love of the sport.

As Rogan once said, "the nicest guy in the world, and a killer".

Legend in the true sense of the word.

End of story.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Also in the words of Rogan

"That guy is my hero" Cool

Sponsored content