THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
Albion_Oakley
payneNglory1
hendos_right_hook
Heterocyclic
pinsman
rudeboyben84
Shanemc
manschesthair_utd
The_Axe_Emperor
redmeanie77
14 posters

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! Empty Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 10, 2010 2:16 pm

A few hours after his impressive first round knock out of champion Lyoto Machida at UFC 113 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua spoke with Sherdog.com about his dominant performance.

Rua, a former Pride middleweight Grand Prix champion, earned the UFC light heavyweight title with the victory. Less than four minutes into the bout, a right hook by Rua started the end for Machida as "Shogun" avenged his controversial October 2009 loss to Machida.

In this video Rua talks about how important the UFC belt is to him, and his desire to fight a hero of his, Randy Couture.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Shogun-Hoping-to-Square-Off-With-Couture-Next-2423

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/05/10/mauricio-shogun-rua-looking-to-face-the-legendary-randy-couture-next-video/
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! Empty Re: Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 pm

I just saw this on Sherdog too, my my MY would this be one sided!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! Empty Re: Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon May 10, 2010 2:33 pm

i do NOT want to see this fight.

Shogun isnt exactly demanding it he said he will fight whoever they want him to.

i hope we see him the winner of Rampage vs Rashad, failing that, a Lil Nog rematch if he gets past Brilz.

plus fighting Randy would mean a fairly long layoff for Shogun, if it were his first defence.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Agreed there Chestie, Rampage, Rashad and Nog are all in over Couture by miles in my opinion, but to be honest, it wouldn't be the first time Couture's undeservedly been gifted a title shot. Has to be said though, IF Couture beat Shogun it would be the greatest moment in MMA history! *

*not that it is even a distinct possibility...
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 pm

i really hope this doesnt happen like everybody else i want to see Shogun defend the belt against the winner of Rampage/Rashad fight at least that would be a very competitive fight as with randy i cant see him last 2 minutes in there with Shogun
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Ramapge vs Evans winner is pretty much quarenteed a shot, it makes sence time wise. Shogun wont be sitting about waiting on Randy. IT wouldnt make any sence. So While it may happen down the line you can bet it wont be Shoguns 1st defence.

Evans will probabally beat Ramapge, So I can see Randy having to fight the Rampage or Nog before he gets a shot.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Question for all, if Rampage beats Rashad who does Machida fight next?

Will they give him Rashad?? i dont think so because its another rematch for Machida following 113, likewise Thiago. Lil Nog said he will only fight him for the title...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Randy vs Machida / Evans vs Lil Nog.

Both would be great fights. Also remember Forrest night be in the mix to fight one of the loosers, Maby Forrest vs Machida? They arent short on competition.

I didnt know Nog would only fight Machida if it was for the Title. Thats a real shame.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm

Maybe they'll fight for a no.1 contender match, its just that i have always heard Nog would fight Machida because of the title. Now that Machida is no longer champ he can avoid Machida to get to the title.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon May 10, 2010 5:49 pm

I hope it happens so Shogun can retire Randy for good! His old legs wouldn't be abl to take many of Ruas legs kicks, I thnk he'd actually remove one from Randys torso!!!

Good Gif Red... shows that Shoguns punch wasn't a luckly one just perfectly timed!!

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Couture is passed it, and there are many other LHWs who deserve a title shot more, or who would beat Randy. Even Couture v Toney is a bit of a joke in my book. I don't want to see 'Captain America' Rolling Eyes fighting someone who's having their first MMA fight. When the UFC first said they'd signed him, I thought it was a joke, especially after Herschel Walker's fight at Strikeforce.

Toney will get treated exactly the same as Kimbo, he'llm lose to Couture, lose to another fighter, then get cut. UFC make some money off of him, then they'll cut him. UFC Hype machine activate!

Last edited by Heterocyclic on Mon May 10, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon May 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I look at the potential competition, I just don't see anyone beating him.

Possibly a Lil Nog sub? He did get choked out by Forrest Griffin after all. Couture would get DESTROYED, which would be sad because it would pretty well spell the end of his career. Rashad would have no hope other than to lie on him and wrestle him for 5 rounds, not an easy feat. Rampage would be beaten, we all know what happens when you combine Rampages's face with Muay Thai knees!

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! Silvawatchesrampagefallthruropes_21779
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Anderson vs Shogun is the fight I want to see as I said in the other thread... Anderson beats rampage, Evans and lil nog imo
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon May 10, 2010 6:20 pm

"Rampage would be beaten, we all know what happens when you combine Rampages's face with Muay Thai knees!"

^^ or something even more relevant:

to his credit Rampage took a hell of a beating.

Shogun had to resort to takedowns to beat Lil Nog the first time, in my opinion he actually outgrappled Nog.
    Most people were expecting striker vs grappler in that fight but they both showed how well rounded they were, i think Shoguns GnP attacks and agression were the difference.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Didn't Shogun get dropped in that fight too??
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon May 10, 2010 6:52 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Go Randy

This will probably be the easiest belt he has ever won Razz
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Oh god yeah Rampage got battered in that fight... those soccer kicks....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 10, 2010 8:23 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Didn't Shogun get dropped in that fight too??

Yeah Lil Nog dropped Shogun, I think its the only time in his career he has been dropped....

Anyone know of any other times?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Lil Nog vs Shogun was one of the best fights EVER, both guys have improved I do want to see that fight happen, but I can only really see Shogun winning. Shogun is a better overall striker and has enough to defend himself on the ground, but it is still a fight I would enjoy watching.

Everyone agrees the Rampage/Evans winner deserves a title shot, ok but how competitive would that fight be? My guess is not very, Rampage has nothing over Shogun while Evans only has wrestling, but looking st Shogun yesterday I wonder how long Evans keep him there.

So we have Lil Nog and either or Rampage/Evans (certainly not both) ahead of Randy, some people are saying Machida but not right now, I'd like to see him fight Forrest. Ok chances are Randy is going to get mauled but stlyewise he has the best chance. Here me out for a second, the only real way I could see Rampage win is by a flash KO. He would get eaten alive in a striking battle. Evans has the chance of a flash KO as well, I seriously doubt he can control Shogun for 25 minutes without getting caught. Unlike Thiago Silva, Shogun will finish as soon as possible. The thing with Lil Nog is nothing he does is better than what Shogun. Striking wise, its easily Shogun, even though Lil Nog is quite a good striker. Lil Nog probably has the better BJJ, if they were to have a BJJ match, id go with Lil Nog but there is an argument of Shogun beaing the better overall grappler with his wrestling ability and in MMA, he has GnP. Lil Nog, again has a flash KO chance but Shogun outmatches him.

Randy posses a different kind of problems. Out of guys he is probably the weakest striker, he doesn't really have a KO chance BUT gameplan wise he is the smartest. Outside Randleman, Randy is the best wrestler Shogun will have faced, and the only one in the UFC (Coleman was already past it) AND he is a lot stronger. Evans is really a MW, Randy has been a career-sized HW. He has experience with good grapplers (265 Gonzaga) and he does have the strength to do what he has been doing ALL his career, push Shogun up against the cage and hit him with punches.

That obviously isn't likely to happen, but for all the shit he gets here, he has as good a chance as any of the other top contenders.

Ofc the biggest test will be A Silva, IF they ever fight and I really hope they do.

Either way, Jones and Bader will be ready soon Twisted Evil
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:"Rampage would be beaten, we all know what happens when you combine Rampages's face with Muay Thai knees!"

^^ or something even more relevant:

to his credit Rampage took a hell of a beating.

No clue how to defend against a Thai clinch, his whole game just goes defensive against a technique he can't defend.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! Mauricio-shogun-rua-7

MONTREAL – Prior to Saturday night's UFC 113 upset of former champion Lyoto Machida, most MMA observers felt Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) was at his best in 2005.

That was the year the Brazilian defeated Ricardo Arona, Alistair Overeem, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson to claim PRIDE's middleweight grand prix title.

But the new UFC champion believes that despite sporting just a 3-2 record in the organization, he's never been in better form than he is right now.

"I'm very happy because in 2005 I was able to achieve a dream, which was to win the PRIDE grand prix," Rua told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) through his manager, Eduardo Alonso. "Now five years later, I achieved another dream, which was to become the UFC world champion. I'm a guy that has been able to achieve so many dreams in my career, and I still have so many dreams to achieve."

Rua's dream didn't come easy. While battling through a pair of knee surgeries, Rua was beaten by Forrest Griffin in September 2007, and a lackluster January 2009 win over Mark Coleman didn't exactly have people anointing "Shogun" the UFC champion-in-waiting.

For a dangerous fighter accustomed to success, the sub-par results proved unsettling. Nevertheless, Rua said he never doubted he would return to peak form.

"Injuries are the worst thing that can happen to a fighter's career," Rua said. "The worst times in my life were when I had the two knee surgeries about three years ago because that was very tough.

"People were criticizing a lot, but I took that as motivation because I work so hard that when I go through that type of criticism, I try to think that somebody has to pay the bill. Somebody has to pay for what I'm going through, so I try to do that in my fights and pay back when I'm fighting."

Rua definitely charged UFC Hall-of-Famer Chuck Liddell for some of that bill in an April 2009 destruction of the "Iceman." But when it came time to fight Machida in October 2009, Rua approached the fight with a cautious strategy.

Despite winning the contest on most MMA observers' scorecards, Rua was ultimately shortchanged by the judges after five tightly contested rounds. It was a lesson Rua took to heart for Saturday night's rematch.

"For my first fight, I trained and studied Lyoto Machida's game and tried to fight according to his style – in a safer way," Rua said. "For this fight, I knew him better, so I tried to exploit him and to take more risks and take more chances and go to try and finish the fight."

The 25 minutes he spent studying Machida proved invaluable for the rematch.

"My first fight against Machida, I tried to exploit the kicks a lot, and I noticed that every time he would try to attack on the timing of my kicks, he was attacking but without his guard in proper place – with his face exposed," Rua said. "That's why I worked a lot this time not only on the kicks, but also on the overhand right punch to surprise him when he was moving in from my kicks."

Rua said the precise gameplanning is a new facet to his approach and is a prime example of why is better now than during his astounding 2005 run.

"I think now I'm a different fighter than I was back then," Rua said. "I think now I train much more based on my opponent because I think this is the evolution of MMA nowadays."

UFC president Dana White, who ordered the immediate rematch after the pair's controversial first matchup, said Rua's win nearly defied description.

"To go out and knock out Lyoto Machida in the first round in the way that he did, I mean to say it's impressive is stupid," White said. "It's unbelievable. It's incredible.

"When [Rua] first came over into the UFC and I was talking about the ring rust – he had had the back-to-back knee surgeries – I always believed that once this kid got back in and was active, he had the possibility to do some great things again. Let me tell you what: 'Shogun' Rua is back. Not only is he the champion of the light heavyweight division, he is back."

Rua said he plans to take a few weeks off to rest, celebrate and spend some time traveling with his wife, but then it's back to the gym. And of course, as it is with any new champion, the question becomes, "What's next?"

Rua told MMAjunkie.com that he's open to a third fight Machida if need be, and he's just fine taking on Anderson Silva should "The Spider" make a run at 205 pounds. Rashad Evans? A rematch with Jackson? He's fine with it all.

"The only guy I wouldn't fight is Wanderlei Silva because he's a great friend of mine," Rua said. "Other than that, whoever the show wants me to fight, I'll fight.

"I'm a professional fighter, so I don't care."
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 am

Rua is a legend, Im so happy to see him as Champ, Future HOF'er for sure and maby only coming into his prime now!! Im glad he will fight anyone but Wanderlei! cheers

What a Shame Vitor and Anderson are at 185lbs for now because I think they are the 2 fights Id most want to see Shogun in.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue May 11, 2010 2:29 am

"The only guy I wouldn't fight is Wanderlei Silva because he's a great friend of mine,"

I think when he said this, Wanderlei fans the world over breathed a huge sigh of relief! "THANK GOD FOR THAT!"
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 11, 2010 3:02 am

Looking for an easy defence. Shameful stuff.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue May 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Looking for an easy defence. Shameful stuff.

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Rua told MMAjunkie.com that he's open to a third fight Machida if need be, and he's just fine taking on Anderson Silva should "The Spider" make a run at 205 pounds. Rashad Evans? A rematch with Jackson? He's fine with it all.

"The only guy I wouldn't fight is Wanderlei Silva because he's a great friend of mine," Rua said. "Other than that, whoever the show wants me to fight, I'll fight.

"I'm a professional fighter, so I don't care."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 pm