THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
rudeboyben84
hendos_right_hook
TomHughes1983
7 posters

MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot

TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot Empty MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot

Post  TomHughes1983 Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:15 pm

I know many people aren't thrilled by Randy Couture and Mark Coleman headlining a UFC event but I for one am interested. On the other hand I was shocked to hear the following news on MMA Weekly:

"Going into the fight against Mark Coleman in the main event of UFC 109, Couture is again willing to push himself to the next level, and that next level may be a title shot in the future.

Rumors have swirled for weeks that the winner of the fight between Couture and Coleman could find himself square in the crosshairs of a title shot against the winner of Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. It's an opportunity that Couture says he'd accept with open arms.

"That would be cool, I would love to fight either one of those guys," he said about a possible title shot. "Mark's already fought Shogun, I certainly think they're top guys in the weight class. Machida's walking around with the belt right now so he's certainly got a big target on his back."

I was shocked to hear this news. Yes, I know the UFC love Randy Couture. He's good in front of the cameras and well spoken. He makes a very good spokesperson for the sport. On the other hand neither he nor Coleman have any right at having a shot at the light heavy weight title. Coleman is on a one fight win streak having beaten Stephen Bonnar at UFC 100 and Randy is also on a one fight win streak coming off a controversial win against Brandon Vera at UFC 105. I know the UFC keeps trying to push itself away from boxing but that is exactly what it looks like when it pushes a popular fighter over a technically brilliant fighter. I'd much rather see them fight the winner of Ortiz versus Liddell with the loser fighting the loser (with the probable outcome being that Coleman gets his shot at Ortiz).
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot Empty Re: MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

I'd love to see both fighters going for another shot at the title, but I just cannot see a way that either could possibly beat both Shogun or Machida, which makes it a slightly pointless. Beating Vera and Bonnar does not put you in contention for a title shot.

I say the loser takes on Bones Jones or Vera, most likely the former.

I'd much rather see it go to the winner of Rashad/Rampage!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot Empty Re: MMA Weekly - Randy Couture would welcome a title shot

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:59 pm

hendos_right_hook wrote:I'd love to see both fighters going for another shot at the title, but I just cannot see a way that either could possibly beat both Shogun or Machida, which makes it a slightly pointless. Beating Vera and Bonnar does not put you in contention for a title shot.

I say the loser takes on Bones Jones or Vera, most likely the former.

I'd much rather see it go to the winner of Rashad/Rampage!

Good call mate...

The looser gets either the looser of Tito/Chuck or the winner of Vera/Bones

The Winner should more likely get the winner of Nog/Forrest (who will be ranked considerabally higher than the winner of Coleman/Couture)

Remember this is all rumours, I dont believe for a second that Couture or Coleman will get a shot with a win.

I expect Evans/Rampage winner is next in line for a title shot.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Completely agree with Ben. Cannot see Coleman/Couture getting a shot before Rampage/Evans.

Like the idea of the loser getting Jones/Vera (although not to enamoured with the prospect of another Couture/Vera match-up). Couture vs Tito would be a crowd puller, surely? Wouldn't mind seeing the Thiago Silva fight the winner.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 pm

I still think there are a lot of style match ups left in the UFC's light heavy weight division:

Rampage vs Rogerio Nogueira
    Rampage vs Lyoto Machida
    Rampage vs Thiago Silva
    Thiago Silva vs Luis Cane (Rock Em Sock Em Robots!)
    Thiago Silva vs Forrest Griffin
    Rogerio Nogueira vs Randy Couture
    Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell

I see at least 3 headliners in that list.

And of course, Anderson Silva is still knocking around at light heavy should the UFC just want a superfight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:16 pm

TomHughes1983 wrote:I still think there are a lot of style match ups left in the UFC's light heavy weight division:

Rampage vs Rogerio Nogueira
    Rampage vs Lyoto Machida
    Rampage vs Thiago Silva
    Thiago Silva vs Luis Cane (Rock Em Sock Em Robots!)
    Thiago Silva vs Forrest Griffin
    Rogerio Nogueira vs Randy Couture
    Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell

I see at least 3 headliners in that list.

And of course, Anderson Silva is still knocking around at light heavy should the UFC just want a superfight.

Rampage vs Nog would be great. Would love to see it.
    Machida would beat Rampage with ease IMO. Would still like to see it.
    Rampage vs Silva is a great call. WAR!
    Silva vs Cane won't happen.
    Silva vs Forrest could be very good!
    Nog vs Couture just to keep it in the family.
    Don't really have much interest in Rich vs Chuck but Rich against Nog, Silva and Cane would all be good.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:11 am

If Rampage beats Evans, he should get a title shot no matter what. Shogun or Machida. If Evans wins and Shogun wins, he should get a shot, if Machida wins, I think he needs another fight TBH. He was just battered last time and he needs to show he has improved so maybe Lil Nog (if he beats Griffin) Beating Silva, Rampage and Lil Nog would mean he deserves a title shot easily.

At the same time the winner of Randy vs Coleman should face the winner of Griffin vs Lil Nog so I think we will end up with Randy vs Lil Nog for the number one contender. Problem is Lil Nog might not want to fight his friend Machida for the title which is bullshit. Its one thing not wanting to change weight class to fight your friend but when he is in your own weight class you need to di what you need to do and compete for the title.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:23 am

Ed Soares has said Lil Nog would fight Machida for the title if needs be. I dont think they are very close friends or train together as often as Anderson for example.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:43 am

Good to hear, you can't let friendship get in the way of your career, it doesn't happen in many other sports. Joe Lauzon said he wouldn't mind fighting his brother Dan, I wish that was the mentaility of every other fighter.

I think I know how to remain the champion, just befriend everyone in the division!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:05 pm