THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
Albion_Oakley
payneNglory1
hendos_right_hook
Heterocyclic
pinsman
rudeboyben84
Shanemc
manschesthair_utd
The_Axe_Emperor
redmeanie77
14 posters

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! - Page 3 Empty Re: Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Dana has also said,

Winner of Hendo-Bisping will get a title shot.

Brock Lesnar will have to earn a title shot and won't just be given one because of hype.

Vitor Belfort will get a title shot when he returns from injury.

How many of those things did he stick to? Dana is full of shit. After Bones destroys the Janitor and then wins one more fight he will be placed at the head of the queue for a title shot.

Bader probably needs two more fights as well.

Couture needs 3 including Toney. Couture won't beat any of the top 10 LHWs.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !! - Page 3 Empty Re: Shogun hoping to fight the legendary Randy Couture !!

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 pm

And since you happen to mention Anderson, add him to the list of people that are ahead of Randy and more deserving of a 205 title shot.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:AH come on ,you'll all be crying when a nearly 50 year old Randy gets his deserved shot over lil Nog and dominates Shogun or Rashad and becomes the champ of champs once again.

Come on Captain America cheers

Big Nog beat Randy easily especially on the feet, Little Nog will KO him.

Randy wouldn't last more than 2 rounds with either Shogun or Rashad. He has no power so he's not going to KO them, they are both quicker than him. Watching Randy try and catch Rashad would actually be embarrassing.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm

No thats not what im saying, but atleast he has beaten top opponents in his career. Silva hasn't and has failed anytime he has tried to.

It's quite complicated right now with quite a few challengers.

Best fight for me is Randy vs Lil Nog.

Lil Nog in his last 10 fights has only fought one top 10 opponent, Shogun and he lost. The rest are a combination of cans and average fighters.

Randy has 3 wins over top 10 fighters in his last 10 fights and his losses have been to top 10 fighters as well. Ye, Ye it was years ago but the record stands.

Randy's opponents Lil Nog's opponents

Coleman Brilz
    Vera Cane
    Nog can
    Lesnar Janitor
    Gonzaga Rimbon
    Sylvia Dewees

It's clear who has faced the better compition. If Randy fought Lil Nog's opponents he would have beat all of them. If Lil Nog did, I wouldn't be so sure. Couldn't see him beating Timmeh and Gonzaga and he would lose to Lesnar and his older brother.

So I have no idea why Lil Nog is talked about so highly when it comes to the title picture when he deserves it no more than Randy to be fair.

Honestly I'd pick Bader to beat both of them right now, Someone said Brilz is a poor mans Bader, and he was correct. Bader and Jones would have easily beat Lil Nog in that fight.

I think Bader should fight Griffin, hype it up as a TUF vs TUF winner while maybe pitting Jones against Davis or someone else who has dropped out. Evans/Shogun/Rampage/Machida.

It's incredibly stacked right now.
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Belfort is getting a title shot when he returns from his injury

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Manager_Vitor_Belfort_title_November
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 pm

I actually fancy Randys chances better against Rashad than Shogun.

Rashad would not be able to rely on his wrestling against Randy,so would more than likely have to keep it standing and use his speed to get in and out and Rashads standup is nothing special,infact i'd say Randy has better boxing skills than Rashad.

Rashad is no real KO puncher and Rashad couldn't out wrestle Randy or control him like he did rampage and Silva just like he couldn't do it to Tito and Randy is and always was 10 times better than Tito.

Rashad was losing to Chuck and Forrest on his feet,he caught chuck with a dream punch and sparked Forrest on the ground through his weak guard,then Machida sparks him and as good as Machida is,he has only ko'd 2 fighters in 7 years,Silva rocked him to his boots but luckily for him,Silva has zero wrestling skills,so he could resort back to that and even though Rampage has a bit of a wrestling back ground,it's nowhere near these top wrestlers in the UFC but again rampage rocked Rashad and Rashad had to jump straight back into his wrestling,against randy he wouldn't have that comfort zone to resort to if he gets clipped.

I'm not saying that Randy could or would be favourite or that he would definitely win in this fight as at his age now,we just don't know what his body can still do,he is definitely on the downward slide of his career and Rashad is peaking but I think Randy would have a hell of a better shot at beating Rashad than Shogun.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Rashad has better stand-up, more power and is more explosive. I'd back him to take Randy down at will. Couture has never faced anyone with Rashad's explosive takedowns. He trained with Koscheck a few years back and Kos took him down time after time. Rashad is Kos with 40 extra pounds.

Rashad dropped Forrest with a shot standing up and sent Rampage halfway across the cage with a shot. Randy's chin isn't great and he's been dropped by people that don't hit as hard as Rashad, Nog for example. Rashad was only starting to become a top fighter when he fought Tito and he is a much much better fighter now. Randy isn't much better now than Tito was back then.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Manager_Vitor_Belfort_title_November"

As if his manager has any say in the matter! When Anderson leave Sonnen in a crumpled heap on the ground, surrounded by his own blood, and then decides he only wants GSP or Shogun, then he will get GSP or Shogun, and Belfort will be fighting someone like Marquadt. He never even earned his shot to begin with!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:54 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:No thats not what im saying, but atleast he has beaten top opponents in his career. Silva hasn't and has failed anytime he has tried to.

It's quite complicated right now with quite a few challengers.

Best fight for me is Randy vs Lil Nog.

Lil Nog in his last 10 fights has only fought one top 10 opponent, Shogun and he lost. The rest are a combination of cans and average fighters.

Randy has 3 wins over top 10 fighters in his last 10 fights and his losses have been to top 10 fighters as well. Ye, Ye it was years ago but the record stands.

Randy's opponents Lil Nog's opponents

Coleman Brilz
    Vera Cane
    Nog can
    Lesnar Janitor
    Gonzaga Rimbon
    Sylvia Dewees

It's clear who has faced the better compition. If Randy fought Lil Nog's opponents he would have beat all of them. If Lil Nog did, I wouldn't be so sure. Couldn't see him beating Timmeh and Gonzaga and he would lose to Lesnar and his older brother.

So I have no idea why Lil Nog is talked about so highly when it comes to the title picture when he deserves it no more than Randy to be fair.

Honestly I'd pick Bader to beat both of them right now, Someone said Brilz is a poor mans Bader, and he was correct. Bader and Jones would have easily beat Lil Nog in that fight.

I think Bader should fight Griffin, hype it up as a TUF vs TUF winner while maybe pitting Jones against Davis or someone else who has dropped out. Evans/Shogun/Rampage/Machida.

It's incredibly stacked right now.

Silva has fought 2 of the top 3 LHW's in the world and lost. Nothing to be ashamed of. Randy hasn't fought any of the top 10 LHW's in the world. Knocking the shit out of Jardine is FAR more impressive than getting an underserved decision against Brandon Vera.

Little Nog fought Shogun at Shogun's very best and gave him the fight of his life. He also has a win over Overeem in his last 10 fights which is more impressive than anything Couture has to offer.

Little Nog vs Couture does make sense though, and after Nog knocks him out then Randy can disappear into retirement again.

Who are these 3 top ten fighters Couture beat? Sylvia and Gonzaga and who else??

I'd also pick Bader and Jones against either of them, although if Nog was at his best i'd take him over both right now. Both would beat Couture though, regardless of Couture being at his current best or worst.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Fine but if Evans win he can't have a shot, he just lost to him. If Silva is fighting Boetsch next, he needs to kick the shit out of him and get atleast two more wins. Boetcsh is a worse opponent than even Toney. If he wins his next 3 fights, two of them being top 10, then fine.

The Overeem Lil nog fought was an ok fighter nothing special. This was before the roiding days and besides beating a horribly out of shape Belfort Overeem was beaten by all of the better opponents.

Couture beat Sylvia, Gonzaga and Belfort who were top 10 in his last 10 fights. I know Belfort was ages ago before you mention it and no im not saying it should count to a title shot, but it shows his level of competition is better than Lil Nogs.

"Little Nog fought Shogun at Shogun's very best and gave him the fight of his life. He also has a win over Overeem in his last 10 fights which is more impressive than anything Couture has to offer."

How about dominating a 265 pound Timmeh who had dominated his last 6 fights? Beating the shit out of a 265 Gonzaga, who just kicked Cro Cops head off? How about giving Brock Lesnar his most competitive fight to date? All I would say are more impressive than beating a roid-free Overeem who always gave up. In those days he quit in most of his fights.

If Lil Nog fights the way he did against Brilz, Couture will beat him very easily, Lil Nog had poor takedown defence in that fight.

That brings me to Jones and Bader, both have excellent and explosive shots, they will take Lil Nog down at will.

I expected atleast a year before Jones, Bader and Davis would make a serious mark on the division but it looks like they will very soon.
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Who is Phil Davis fighting next? Now that guys is a beast !
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:31 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Fine but if Evans win he can't have a shot, he just lost to him. If Silva is fighting Boetsch next, he needs to kick the shit out of him and get atleast two more wins. Boetcsh is a worse opponent than even Toney. If he wins his next 3 fights, two of them being top 10, then fine.

The Overeem Lil nog fought was an ok fighter nothing special. This was before the roiding days and besides beating a horribly out of shape Belfort Overeem was beaten by all of the better opponents.

Couture beat Sylvia, Gonzaga and Belfort who were top 10 in his last 10 fights. I know Belfort was ages ago before you mention it and no im not saying it should count to a title shot, but it shows his level of competition is better than Lil Nogs.

"Little Nog fought Shogun at Shogun's very best and gave him the fight of his life. He also has a win over Overeem in his last 10 fights which is more impressive than anything Couture has to offer."

How about dominating a 265 pound Timmeh who had dominated his last 6 fights? Beating the shit out of a 265 Gonzaga, who just kicked Cro Cops head off? How about giving Brock Lesnar his most competitive fight to date? All I would say are more impressive than beating a roid-free Overeem who always gave up. In those days he quit in most of his fights.

If Lil Nog fights the way he did against Brilz, Couture will beat him very easily, Lil Nog had poor takedown defence in that fight.

That brings me to Jones and Bader, both have excellent and explosive shots, they will take Lil Nog down at will.

I expected atleast a year before Jones, Bader and Davis would make a serious mark on the division but it looks like they will very soon.

I forgot about Belfort. that was 6 years ago. And Belfort was dealing with a lot of personal stuff and shouldn't have been fighting.

Tim Boetsch is a much better MMA fight than James Toney who is fat, 40 and has never been in a cage before.

Overeem was just coming off his second convincing win over Belfort when Nog beat him for the second time. And he didn't quit at all. His corner threw in the towel. He wanted to fight.

Dominating but not finishing Timmeh who got his ass handed to him time after time following that fight, while impressive, is nothing special. And Gonzaga is MMA's biggest choker on the big stage. Mir beat Brock, so he gave Brock his most competitive fight. Randy got his ass kicked in their fight.

Brilz has better single and double leg takedowns than Couture, Couture has better trips and drags but Nog is a black belt in Judo so he'll be able to negate that.

Jones and Bader will be ranked in the top 7 or 8 after two more fights each. Possibly as high as numbers 4 and 5. Davis will be top 10 as well if he continues to progress. The era of the explosive wrestler with big power is upon us in the LHW division. Evans, Bader, Bones, Davis, and of course King Mo. Randy's time is up. He can't wrestle and strike with those boys and he can't strike and defend takedowns like Shogun and Machida.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:25 am

What was he dealing with? Was that the time when his sister was kidnapped?

Boetsch is shit, he isn't good at anything. And he is fat as well. Toney atleast is a world class boxer. Toney would give Silva a much better fight than Boetsch, and if Silva made a mistake or didn't use his kicks enough he would go to sleep.

I said overoid is known for quitting, he quit against Sergi, he just kind of gave up against Liddell, he quit against Arona. Belfort is a MW anyway and was in terrible shape. Overeem got his ass handed to him 3 more times after Lil Nog beat him.

Timmeh beat Vera, who at the time was one of the most promosing HWs and then had his ass handed to him by FEDOR, the greatest MMA fighter ever and Nog the second greatest HW of all time. He was also dominating Nog before Nog caught him with that guillotine. Randy wasn't in trouble once against Timmeh and was never in danger of losing. He got KOed by a former olympic boxer fine, but he was in terrible shape and shouldn't have taken that fight.

Mir beat Lesnar because of daft reffering and because of an amaturish mistake on Lesnar's behalf. Lesnar fucked Mir up in that fight and it could have been stopped. Mir wasn't intellegnety protecting himself. Mir wasn't competitive he just got lucky. He got destroyed in the rematch. Randy was actually doing very well against Lesnar and thus far has been the only fighter who hasn't been taken down and comletely raped.

Lil Nog has never faced a greco roman wrestler in a cage, Randy can push him against the cage and take him down from there. He doesn't need to do trips and drags, he'll wall n'stall, tire Lil Nog out and take him down. Lil Nog doesn't have takedown defence like Vera does.

Randy's time is coming to an end with all these wrestlers coming in but I don't see Lil Nog hanging around at the top for long either. We already saw how Mousasi couldn't handle a GASSED King Mo.

Evans
    Bader
    Jones
    King Mo
    and Davis will all be in the top 10 soon.

The only two who will survive in this LHW division are Machida and Shogun, but if these guys continue to improve then I'll give it a year before they are good enough to beat them.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:08 am

Belfort only became a MW in the last couple of years. He's had a total of 3 fights at MW. He's a career 205er who dropped weight because he couldn't compete anymore at the bigger weight. He was a top 10 LHW when Overeem beat him. Overeem was a top 10 LHW when Nog beat him.

Yeah his sister was kidknapped and 3 weeks later he fought Couture. Should never have been allowed to happen, he was mentally all over the place, he didn't train. He only fought because he thought he'd need the money for ranson

It doesn't matter if Nog has never faced a greco wrestler in a cage before, he faced Hendo and the janitor and both are better wrestlers than Randy. Couture is years past his best as a fighter and even further past his best as a wrestler.

Randy got taken down, then got back up, then he got punched in the face, then he got taken down again, then he got knocked out. He wasn't competitive. Lesnar just showed him some respect because he didn't bad mouth him. Herring and Mir both ran their mouths. So Lesnar fucked them up.

Sylvia beat Vera only because Vera broke his hand in the first round and couldn't throw punches. It was also Vera's first fight in a year so he was rusty.

Boetsch is a decent wrestler. Nothing more, nothing less.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:19 am

Was Belfort's sister kidnapped before there second fight or the third fight? I'm really not sure on that one because I remember hearing somewhere it was right before there second fight, I think it was a countdown show. Either way I agree he shouldn't have been fighting.

I don't think he was top 10, after he lost to Randy he lost to Ortiz then Overeem. He got a win over Rea and then lost to Overeem again. Before Overeem beat Belfort he lost to Werdum.

Hendo is a better wrestler than Randy but he doesn't have better takedowns. Randy is also bigger and stronger. He can push Lil Nog up against the cage, something Hendo has never done. Listen, trust me I know Coleman was beyond shit in there fight possibly the worst performance in a main even EVER in the UFC. But he still was an olympic caliber wrestler and strong. Randy took him down easily.

The Janitor is a good wrestler, but I don't think he is better than Randy. The Janitor got outwrestled by Ortiz, who ofcoarse was outwrestled by Randy. Randy also is one of the few people who took Liddell down, who is a very good wrestler and a striker.

Against Lesnar he did push Lesnar up against the cage and dirty box him a little. He got a few nice shots on him as well and defended a few takedowns. Lesnar had a cut if I remember correctly. I could kind of see Lesnar not fucking up Couture because he showed respect though.

Those factors certainly didn't help Vera but it was still a win. Either way that was a terrible fight, one of the worst I had to experience. I remember it especially because that the first event I saw live on TV.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:51 pm