THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
6 posters

MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture

Poll

Who has the better legacy?

[ 2 ]
    MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture I_vote_lcap22%MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture I_vote_rcap [22%] 
    [ 7 ]
    MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture I_vote_lcap78%MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture I_vote_rcap [78%] 

Total Votes: 9
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture Empty MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 pm

I had an idea that I thought would create a lot of great debate amongst the us. Basically, im going to get two Armbar HOFers, and compare there legacy. Im then going to see who everyone on the forum think has the greater legacy and is the better fighter. This isn't a case of who would win a fight, just who has had the greater career. I'm going to see how many votes each fighter gets and im also going to consider everyone's reasoning behind there decision. Id also like people to try and be as objective as possible.

First up are two HOF favorites, The Natural and the Hammer. I chose this one because I know both have there fans and I think there is a good case for both. So who do you think has the better legacy?

Randy Couture

Record: 19-10

Accomplishments: UFC 13 Heavyweight Tournament, 3 time UFC Heavyweight champion, 2 time UFC LHW champion, UFC HOF, Armbar HOF

Notable wins: Vitor Belfort 2x, Randleman, (prime) Maurice Smith, Kohsaka, Horn, Rizzo 2x, Liddell, Ortiz, Sylvia, (prime) Gonzaga and Coleman.

Mark Coleman

Record: 16-10

Accomplishments: Pride 2000 Grand Prix Champion, UFC 10 Tournament Champion, UFC 11 Tournament champion, 1st ever UFC HW champion, UFC HOF, Armbar HOF

Notable wins: Don Frye x2, Dan Severn, Igor, Fujita, Stephan Bonnar

I think most can agree that there fight has little bearing on this. Both were past there prime and Coleman put on the worst performance of his career.

With that being said I would still have to give it to Randy Couture. While Coleman had a better start to his career, Couture has had the better overall Couture. I think he has the bigger and better wins. He has had more titles as well and has been a bigger overall superstar.

So Coleman or Couture?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture Empty Re: MMA legacy: Coleman vs Couture

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 pm

I don't think these two can even be compared, especially when you look at Coutures notable wins as opposed to Colemans!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:44 pm

yeah they are two decorated fighters but im saying randy.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:48 pm

And also Coutures achievements are much more impressive, AND i also believe that Coutures win over Coleman shouldn't be discredited as Couture was actually the older competitor!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:51 pm

the coleman - couture fight was colemans worst preformance if you ask me,
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 pm

So? Thats not Coutures fault is it?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:08 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:So? Thats not Coutures fault is it?

never said it was, the ufc built it up like it was going to be a war of two hall of famers and it was just one sided.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Again, thats not Coutures fault, so i dont think it should be discredited as a good win.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Couture is a freak and I doubt any fighter will be able to compete at the level he does at his age. There Career's were decided a long time before they fought, so for me there is very little relevancy.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 pm

im trying to think of who else was in the pride 2000 GP. coleman was at his best during his first stint in ufc and a bit in pride while randy peaked later on.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Goodridge, Satake, Fujita, Igor, Sakuraba, Gracie, Mezger, Inoue and Kerr were the key names who competed in that Gran-prix. Lot of talented fighters.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:33 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Couture is a freak and I doubt any fighter will be able to compete at the level he does at his age. There Career's were decided a long time before they fought, so for me there is very little relevancy.

Maybe they will if they abuse HGH like he does.

i voted for Coleman.

i think, to an extent he revolutionised fighting, being the first fighter to use "ground and pound" as his principle weapon.

the only other successful wrestler in MMA before was Dan Severn, who really was a well rounded grappler with a submission background too....(coleman made him tap).

If you are going to count Randy's win over Mark as a notable win, given that it was barely the same fighter, and the only time he hasnt tried to take his opponent down in a fight.....
    then you must count Marks win over Shogun.

if you count their accomplishments, you have to agree that it takes away from the credibility of Randy's heavyweight career that he was forced down to 205 due to being beat down, then forced to move back up to a very weak HW division, due to being knocked out.

also, to the person who said "just look at their notable wins" thats a subjective list.
    Coleman also beat Ricardo Morais. which was an incredible win considering he had just dropped 4 on the bounce and Morais is like...massive monster.
    equivalent to Randys win over Tim.

mark also beat sataake, shoji and goes...and faced much better competition over the course of his career.

Coleman beat 2 world number 1s in his later career by the way.

i give it to Coleman.
    he won the pride gp man!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 pm

using HGH as a way to try and discredit Randy,in something he's being compared to Coleman Suspect

It's not even close,Randy beats Coleman in every way,be it who's the better fighter,who accomplished more,who has the greater following,to who has the better wins etc.

He's captain America for fucks sake,loved by millions not a rioded up guy that trains on his front porch and scares his little girls after taking a beating Razz

Randy has won the hearts and respect of a nation,with his achievements and performances,so there is no doubt in my mind that when Randy actually leaves MMA,He'll be leaving behind a far greater legacy that he has built for himself compared to the one Coleman leaves behind.

I believe Randy's name and achievements will be in the memories a far more MMA fans in 20 years time than Coleman's will.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:37 pm

In both of their primes, in a fight at HW, Coleman would have smashed him.

Over the course of their careers Randy has been handed many more opportunities but he has taken advantage of them and Couture has had the better career IMO.

Randy leaves the better legacy but Coleman changed the sport more.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 am

"If you are going to count Randy's win over Mark as a notable win, given that it was barely the same fighter, and the only time he hasnt tried to take his opponent down in a fight.....
    then you must count Marks win over Shogun."

Randy battered Coleman fairly. Coleman beat Shogun in a fluke, its a not a comparison. I didn't include Randy's win over Vera because many thought he lost. I also said that there fight have very little bearing on the fight and it doesn't matter who would beat who. It's all about there careers.

"beat Ricardo Morais. which was an incredible win considering he had just dropped 4 on the bounce and Morais is like...massive monster.
    equivalent to Randys win over Tim.

mark also beat sataake, shoji and goes...and faced much better competition over the course of his career."

Morias had a record of 10-4. A bit speculative to equivalent to Tim.

Sataake was 8-9 overall ( I don't know his record when he faced Coleman) Goes was 10-5 and Soji was 14-16. Not as good as Coutures wins. There's no doubt Coleman faced better competiton, but he didn't win against the top guys.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:49 am

payneNglory1 wrote:using HGH as a way to try and discredit Randy,in something he's being compared to Coleman Suspect

It's not even close,Randy beats Coleman in every way,be it who's the better fighter,who accomplished more,who has the greater following,to who has the better wins etc.

He's captain America for fucks sake,loved by millions not a rioded up guy that trains on his front porch and scares his little girls after taking a beating Razz

Randy has won the hearts and respect of a nation,with his achievements and performances,so there is no doubt in my mind that when Randy actually leaves MMA,He'll be leaving behind a far greater legacy that he has built for himself compared to the one Coleman leaves behind.

I believe Randy's name and achievements will be in the memories a far more MMA fans in 20 years time than Coleman's will.

well of course because he was a star during the time when MMA was a big sport.

that doesnt really mean anything.

and he doesnt beat coleman in every way, Coleman was ranked #1 at heavyweight TWICE. was Randy ever?
    also Coleman (like anfield said) changed the sport more, for the better.
    unlike randy who showed everyone the flaws in the judging system

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:18 am