THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Paolo_73
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
the_king
8 posters

randy v coleman

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

randy v coleman Empty randy v coleman

Post  the_king Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:42 am

can someone confirm if this is happening at ufc 110? loads on the net but no official announcment. cheers
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

randy v coleman Empty Re: randy v coleman

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 am

Randy Couture and Mark Coleman have verbally agreed to a light heavyweight headlining bout at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the bout.

If signed, the bout will mark the first time UFC hall of famers have met in the Octagon. Both former heavyweight champions, Couture was originally slated to face Coleman at UFC 17 in May 1998 in Mobile, Ala., before the four-time Olympic alternate hurt his ribs prepping for that year’s Greco-Roman wrestling Nationals.

Instead, Coleman fought Pete Williams, a then unknown Lion’s Den protégé, and was knocked out with a head kick just past the 12-minute mark. The accomplished wrestlers’ paths did not cross again.

Couture, 46, out-clinched muay Thai striker Brandon Vera to a unanimous decision last Saturday at UFC 105 in Manchester, England. Couture is the only fighter to have held titles in both the UFC’s light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions and was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in 2006. He is also a two-time Div. I National Championships team member and a two-time NCAA Div. I runner-up for Oklahoma State University.

Coleman, 44, breathed new life into his 13-year career with a unanimous decision victory over 32-year-old “The Ultimate Fighter” finalist Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100 last July in Las Vegas. He was slated to face former 205-pound champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, but withdrew with a slightly torn MCL in early October.

Coleman, who was inducted by the UFC in 2008, was Pride Fighting Championships’ first grand prix tournament champion in 2000 and placed seventh in freestyle wrestling at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. Coleman was an NCAA Div. I champion his senior year at Ohio State University.

The legendary pair wrestled one another in a freestyle match at the 1989 Olympic Festival at Oklahoma State. Coleman won the match by one point.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Couture-Coleman-Slated-for-UFC-109-21002
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:24 am

This is a good fight, I think there were probabally bigger fights for Randy but after a poor performance against Vera a figher on a Similar level to Vera makes sence and I think Coleman is on a similar level to Vera.

I think Vera has been very hard done by recently. The stoppage to Werdum, the Decision losses to Jardine and Couture etc.. but thats a bit off topic!

Im sure people will think this is a missmatch but I dont think it is that much of a missmatch. Coleman just gave Shogun a close fight then Beat Bonner... I think he is far from a shot figher and is younger than Couture.

I wonder how it will play out, they thing I think will be the decider is Randys boxing... I think there wrestling abilities are very similar.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Good matchup... I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be as good a fight now as it would have been 5yrs ago.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:21 pm

I feel for Randy The Hammer is going to tare him apart then we will see Shogun vs Coleman 3 by the end of the year for the Title Cool .
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:47 pm

No chance. Evil or Very Mad

The "Natural" is going to take this one via Gnp after Coleman gasses out. I wouldnt read too much into the Shogun fight in dublin, that wasnt the real shogun.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 pm

I see a dull fight plenty of Clintching and Holding position with Randy landing the better shots on the feet and just edging every round in a reasonalabally close fight... I think Chuck should fight Coleman win loose or Draw against Randy if he comes back.

I wonder if they will give the winner a shot? You gotta think that the winner of Cane vs Nog, the winner of Tito vs Forrest and the winner of Evans vs T.Silva are all ahead.. perhaps with the exception of Tito if he wins and Randy beats Coleman.

But theres 2 or 3 fighers ahead of the winner of this one. I really hope whoever wins isnt fast tracked to a shot.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:32 pm

you heard it here first; Mark will make Randy gas, and either win a decision or a late gnp stoppage.

randy v coleman Markcoleman425

come-on Coleman!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Coleman beat Randy by 1 point in a wrestling match before apparently! Chesty I didnt realise you were such a Coleman fan! I think Coleman might have a ever so slight wrestling advantage because I think he is a little more powerfull but Randys Striking as a good bit better and so is his cardio... Colemans hasnt looked good since... well ever! Laughing

It is cool seeing two HOF'ers fight! I say the winner gets Shammy Who is the same age as them and like both of them 1-1 in his last 2 fights! Laughing
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

randy v coleman Empty RE: randy v coleman

Post  Raiden Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm

i think we can all agree its about time Shammy came back

get him on the mic please

randy v coleman 370

Ken "The World's Most Dangerous Tight Pants" Shamrock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Raiden wrote:i think we can all agree its about time Shammy came back

get him on the mic please

I don't think the Athletic commission will be as eager Laughing
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:08 pm

I've missed Ken. Nobody sells a fight, excuse me.... a PPV as well as Ken. Laughing

I'm sure he'd put his glass jaw on the line against Tito again, then maybe a 'most damage to the face since UFC debut' bout against Coleman.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:32 am

They should just start a seniors division. Those guys, chuck in Don Frye, Dan Severn, Royce, Taktarov, Mark Kerr even Tank, any old star who is still fighting. Chuck could be one contender for champ perhaps....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:39 am

I think Yamma pit fighting did a legends league of something similar, Pat Smith Beat Butterbean in it.

I like the Idea of a Legends devision but I think Old guys are also usefull as Gatekeepers for young up and commers to test themselves agasint. The likes of Forrest Griffin taking on Severn when Forrest was really young etc..

Liddell vs Tank would be fun to watch though!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:44 pm