THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
efils_god
Mryzyz
kavik2
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
15 posters

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 4 Empty Re: Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Ummmm and why cant he take down Hunt and just ground and pound him??? Which is what will happen!!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 4 Empty Re: Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:33 am

uly wrote:Ferreira subbed JDS a long time ago, and Carwin came somewhat close so I dont think he is an especially high level grappler. I cant see him changing his game around and fighting in a completely different way that he has ever fought before vs Hunt.

JDS does seem good at getting back to his feet though like he did vs Gonzaga and is super athletic but that doesnt mean he would be able to submit Hunt. I mean Chuck and other fighters are good at that, but it's not like he was ever seriously going to try and sub the strikers he faced.

I dont think Hunt deserves the shot but it'd be a fun fight and for me more interesting than giving it to Werdum or Mir. I still kinda hope Overeem-JDS continues somehow

Carwin did not come somewhat close. The bell went, JDS stopped fighting and Carwin got his arm in for the sub and rolled JDS.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 am

Sheldan wrote:Heard an interesting point from someone which is very unlikely but imagine if it happened! With UFC waiting until Overeem's hearing on April 24th, and while it may have been heat of the moment, Dana has initially said that Cain VS Mir will happen, JDS VS Jones at UFC 146?!? Jones will have a 35 day turnaround from his Evans fight so it could be possible albeit very unlikely.

I'd love to see JDS vs Jones....
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:15 am

Jones wouldnt' fight Dos Santos, not for all the tea in China.

and like i said...Dos Santos has shown us nothing to suggest he is better versed in submissions than McCorkle, or a better wrestler than Tuscherer...so yeah, i still dont know where you got that "he is undoubtedly a better grappler than McCorkle" information from.

by the way Dos Santos dominated Carwin on the feet, he was unnecessarily looking for points when he took him down i think.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Right now it seems like everyone from the Light Heavyweight contenders to just about any top 10 Heavyweight is being touted and pushed towards the 146 showdown with Dos Santos. The latest is Champion Jon Jones who is set to face Rashad Evans at UFC 145 which is just over a month before the 146 event. In a recent interview with PricklyPairStudios Jones addressed the situation.

“You know, it’s hard to even say because of two factors: First, it would be disrespectful of me to just look past Rashad completely like, ‘Oh, this fight’s already done.’ Rashad is going to be a huge test and I’m excited for this great challenge. And you know, honestly, it is something I would totally entertain. But at the same time, I have so much respect for Junior dos Santos. He’s such a cool dude, you know what I mean? He’s just such a cool dude. Fighting him is just like… Me and him, he treated me like his brother when we were in Brazil together. We did a lot of fun stuff in Brazil. He’s just a cool dude. Challenging him out of nowhere would be hitting him upside the head like, ‘Where did Jones come from? Why does Jones want to fight me?’ I’m not saying he’s scared of me, by any means, I’m sure he’s not. If it was somebody else, I would definitely go for it. But it’s Junior. I don’t know, I’m not even a heavyweight so to pick a fight with Junior doesn’t really make sense to me. There’s a lot of work to be done in the light heavyweight division.”

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 4 Untitled-2
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm

The controversial top heavyweight contender, Alistair Overeem has broken his silence. Speaking with Spike TV’s ‘MMA Uncensored Live,’ The Reem refused to speak directly on the topic of his recent positive testing for elevated levels of testosterone, yet was very adamant that he will in fact compete and defeat current heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos on May 26.

“I am bigger, I am stronger, I am better in the stand-up and I’m better on the ground. So for me, I don’t think about what he is going to do to me. I think about what I am going to do to him and I am only thinking about what I am going to do to him. I am going to be ready wherever the fight takes me. I do prefer to strike, I do prefer a knockout over a submission win but I’m going to be ready for anything.”

Confidence in his abilities may be an understatement, as the K-1 Grand Prix winner continued to boast on his plans for the UFC 146 featured fight in question.

“You know I’m strong, I’m fast, I feel good. I’m going to get this guy, I’m going to beat him. Nothing scares me about Junior dos Santos. Everything he’s doing, I’ve seen it before. I’m not worried about it, I’ve experienced it all. There’s no fear, there’s only two things – trained and untrained and when I step into the octagon on May 26 I’m going to be trained. “

http://www.mmaopinion.co.uk/2012/04/13/overeem-confident-hell-fight-jds-despite-positive-test/

Having said that, I stand by my prediction that Overeem will still fight at UFC 146
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 pm

I also think that he will fight at UFC 146.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Yep It's starting to look likely he will fight at 146 the more this goes on the more It seems either Overeem has a legit reason for the high levels or has found loop hole around the use of TRT.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:26 pm

What if... Overeem legitimately requires TRT?

It's not a ridiculous thought. Head trauma and excessive exercise have been proven to lower a mans testosterone level.

That as well as all the steroids he has already probably taken. They will lower your testosterone as well.

Overeem didn't necessarily test positive for too high a level of testosterone. They don't test the actual level, it's the ratio they test for.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 am

Mryzyz wrote:What if... Overeem legitimately requires TRT?

It's not a ridiculous thought. Head trauma and excessive exercise have been proven to lower a mans testosterone level.

That as well as all the steroids he has already probably taken. They will lower your testosterone as well.

Overeem didn't necessarily test positive for too high a level of testosterone. They don't test the actual level, it's the ratio they test for.

Weight cutting is what will have lowered his testosterone level. All those years of cutting to 205. Wrestlers are most prone to low testosterone because they cut weight constantly throughout their wrestling careers.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:58 am

From MMAFighting.com

We don't yet quite know who UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will be stepping into the cage against when he walks into the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 26.

We know one person who it most certainly will not be: Mark Hunt. The heavy-handed New Zealander has been the subject of a rowdy social media movement since questions have arisen about Alistair Overeem's eligibility to fight Dos Santos, but White says Hunt won't get the nod, even if Overeem can't go.

"They can keep rallying. It ain’t going to happen," White said during the UFC on FUEL 2 post-fight press conference.

Hunt was an unlikely candidate to begin with. Although he's won three straight fights, those victories have only moved his career record to 8-7.

Then again, it's been an impressive climb back for him. When UFC-owned Zuffa bought PRIDE in 2007, White tried to buy Hunt out of his contract, thinking he had no remaining value as a competitive mixed martial artist. The proud athlete could have taken the payout and gone elsewhere, but instead demanded his contracted bouts.

In his first UFC match, he lost to then little-known Sean McCorkle in just 63 seconds, tapping out to a straight arm bar. But in his next match, he rallied to knockout Chris Tuchscherer, and since then he's beaten respected veterans Ben Rothwell and Cheick Kongo.

He's currently scheduled to fight Stefan Struve on May 26, and according to White, that's exactly where he'll stay.

"I have apologized and praised Mark Hunt for what he's accomplished in the situation he was in," White said. "And I think this fight with Struve is a good fight for him. If he beats Struve, he’ll break in and start fighting some of the top five heavyweights in the world. Anything can happen in a fight, but in all reality, it's not fair to Mark Hunt either, to throw the guy right in there with Junior Dos Santos for a title shot. The guy worked his way up, he beats Struve, he fights somebody in the top five. I guarantee you this, he beats Struve, his next fight will be someone in the top five that can get him closer to that title shot."

Meanwhile, the mystery of who exactly will face Dos Santos at UFC 146 continues. At the time Overeem's elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio was revealed, White lambasted him, saying he was "beyond pissed," and calling him a "moron." Over one week later, White continued to voice frustration with the situation, but sounded like he was resigned to letting the system run its course.

"I don't have the temperament to talk about this," he said. "I will say things you guys will love and I will hate next week. So let me just say this: everybody gets due process. Alistair Overeem will have his due process with the Nevada state athletic commission. We'll see what happens and we'll go from there. And when it all goes down, somebody else will speak about this. Not me."
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 am

I have a feeling that if Overeem doesn't get cleared to fight, they'll cancel they title fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:28 am

fucking lame from Dana White...
    doesnt listen to those long time fans when handing out gift title shots, only listens to those WWE crossovers.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 pm

"Listen, Mark Hunt is going to have to fight one of the top. You don't just jump right into the title shot." (Dana White) The statement of the decade!!

Sick of him changing his views based on when it suits him.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Winner of Struve VS Hunt I think will face Shane Carwin.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:"Listen, Mark Hunt is going to have to fight one of the top. You don't just jump right into the title shot." (Dana White) The statement of the decade!!

The exception ofcourse is when you get knocked out by Liddell, then stay inactive for a year. Then you can have a shot.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:47 pm

sunthunder wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:"Listen, Mark Hunt is going to have to fight one of the top. You don't just jump right into the title shot." (Dana White) The statement of the decade!!

The exception ofcourse is when you get knocked out by Liddell, then stay inactive for a year. Then you can have a shot.

Maybe he's lining Chuck Liddell up for the shot? Seen a picture of him recently. Def walking about at about 240. Going by usual UFC standards, Chuck is ideal for the shot.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:49 am

Looks like Mir's getting the shot
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 am

Probably for the best I feel there is too many intangibles around the Overeem situation, hope I'm wrong but I see Mir crumbling like a cookie in the 1st this is a bad match up for him IMO.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:50 am

Mir v JDS is on paper one the least exciting title fights ever. As much as I would enjoy seeing Mir get destroyed, I struggle to muster any anticipation for this event.

At least this hopefully means we'll get Werdum v Cain now, which is a lot more interesting than Cain-Mir or Werdum-Russow.

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:48 am

Cain vs Nelson for number one contendership? Neither deserve it imo.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:06 am

Roy Nelson: Just asked if I would fight cain for #1 contendership, answer is YES! Overeem pissed hot is my gain!

I don't know, im waiting until Dana confirms it. Roy also said he was cutting to 205...

If Nelson is number one contender material, then its a very sad day for the heavyweight division.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:51 am

Starting to get a bit annoyed with Nelson, I'm all for being confident in your abilities but seeing some of the things he says on Twitter he is really delusional. UFC need to pull Werdum from 147 to rescue this event, if they change Nelson/Big Foot in some capacity then the event will fall apart.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Dana has confirmed that Cain will face Big Foot Silva, so now they will have to find another opponent for Nelson too. This card has fallen apart.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm