THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
Ginginho
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
9 posters

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem Empty Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/11/15/1814869/fabricio-werdum-wants-to-fight-outside-of-strikeforce-before-facing

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem 4738892506_208b14bece_large

Fabricio Werdum had surgery on his arm shortly after his monumental upset over long time heavyweight kingpin, Fedor Emelianenko. Two months removed from that, and Werdum says he has fully recovered and plans to fight again very soon. That next fight may not be for Strikeforce though, as the #4 ranked heavyweight told Sherdog that he plans to have an overseas fight first:

"I used this trip to make a couple of good contacts in Abu Dhabi and Japan. Strikeforce want me to return in March against Fedor [Emelianenko] or [Alistair] Overeem, but I'm looking forward to having a fight before that one. I don’t have an exclusive contract with Strikeforce, only for the U.S., and I got a nice proposal in Abu Dhabi and another one in Japan... My arm is 100 percent now and I feel that by February, I'll be ready to fight in Abu Dhabi or Japan."

What has the several time jiujitsu world champ been up to during his time off? Well he has been touring the world teaching this new guard system that will make MMA fighters avoid getting punched in the face. More on that after the jump.

"Since I couldn't start training in the month after the surgery, I found that giving seminars was a great way to start my recovery little by little. I couldn’t make a better choice. My main concern during all those seminars was showing a new guard system for MMA that I developed. Today, most jiu-jitsu guys, while on the bottom, just close the guard and receive hard punishment. With the experience I've got in MMA plus the jiu-jitsu knowledge I've got from top guys like Sylvio Behring, Marcio Corleta, Mario Reis, Otavio 'Ratinho' [Couto] and Renato 'Babalu' [Sobral], I developed a new guard system that makes it really hard for someone on top to hit me."

"It's really impressive, I can tell you that I don’t take one single punch to my face using that system,"

This is just what Strikeforce needs Rolling Eyes

I wish Coker would get his house in order,so we can get these HW fights that everyone wants to see sorted out.

I'm really interested in seeing Werdums new guard system in action though.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem Empty Re: Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Non exclusive contracts, gotta love em.... Evil or Very Mad

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem Empty Re: Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 pm

cheers

cool, now maybe we will see Werdum fight on Dynamite!!
    i presume that is one of the offers he has on the table. Very Happy

Werdum/Ishii would be a great grappling contest.

anyway i think Fedor/Barnett has been the fight that looks the most likely to happen for w while now.
    + with Overeem tied up with K1 its a good move for Werdum.

gotta love non-exclusive contacts!
    spread the fighting.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Brown Pride wrote:Non exclusive contracts, gotta love em.... Evil or Very Mad

Hell yes, Strikeforce are making him wait until March until his next fight - why shouldn't he have a fight before then if he wants it?? Better than sitting around doing fuck all I reckon.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Non-Exclusive contracts are great for the fighters and great for the fans. Good stuff as always from Coker and Strikeforce.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Other than Ishii who fight in Dream Hw wise? Cant think of Anyone who could fight Werdum, I wonder who in Abu Dhabi as well?

Honestly I wouldnt care if he took a can to stay busy. Fedor isnt ready to fight and neither is Overeem and I dont see why he should fight anyone else in SF. I cant wait to see his Guard System too.

What about Roger Gracie or Xande Ribeiro in MMA? that would be awsome!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

is there any rumours of when fedor is back?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Other than Ishii who fight in Dream Hw wise? Cant think of Anyone who could fight Werdum, I wonder who in Abu Dhabi as well?

Honestly I wouldnt care if he took a can to stay busy. Fedor isnt ready to fight and neither is Overeem and I dont see why he should fight anyone else in SF. I cant wait to see his Guard System too.

What about Roger Gracie or Xande Ribeiro in MMA? that would be awsome!

There's a certain TIMMEH who might be free to fight in Dream.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:51 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote: cheers

cool, now maybe we will see Werdum fight on Dynamite!!
    i presume that is one of the offers he has on the table. Very Happy

Werdum/Ishii would be a great grappling contest.

anyway i think Fedor/Barnett has been the fight that looks the most likely to happen for w while now.
    + with Overeem tied up with K1 its a good move for Werdum.

gotta love non-exclusive contacts!
    spread the fighting.

Tell me something, what possible fight in Japan or in Abu Dhabi is acceptable for the new no.1 HW to fight, instead of facing top opposition in SF sooner.

Call me crazy but instead of wanting to see Werdum fight guys not on his level, i would rather see him face Fedor, Overeem, hell even Barnett sooner.

This would never happen if it was in the UFC, as soon as he would have recovered he would have been booked to defend the title against whoever the top contender there at the time.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Non-Exclusive contracts are great for the fighters and great for the fans. Good stuff as always from Coker and Strikeforce.

What you on about,Coker nor strikeforce want this,they wants him straight in the Strikeforce cage fighting for them,not outside where he could pick up an injury or worse,lose against a bum and further fuck up Strikeforce's plans to get one of the big fights sorted.

This is just something that Strikeforce can't control and have absolutely zero say in,in no way does strikeforce benefit in any way from this.

If he beats a bum,that's all it will be,no credit comes from that.
    If he some how loses to a bum,that would be a huge knock on one of Strikeforce's best and will do nothing to help them promote the strength of Strikeforce's HW division.
    If he gets injured,Strikeforce lose out again

Non exclusive contracts can be good for certain fighters,but it's not better for the fans,Who gives a shit about a top 5 in the world fighter,fighting unranked bums or novices in the sport,I'd of thought the majority of fans who enjoy MMA as a competitive sport,only want to see the top guys fighting evenly ranked guys.

I'm sure some of you aren't interested in competitive fights and would prefer to watch the exhibition side of the sport,by watching someone over matched get there arse kicked in a one sided beatdown,just so the ranked fighter can look impressive doing so.

Let the circus side of Pride die,this is supposed to be a competitive main stream sport now.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 pm

[quote="payneNglory1"]
    Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:

If he beats a bum,that's all it will be,no credit comes from that.
    If he some how loses to a bum,that would be a huge knock on one of Strikeforce's best and will do nothing to help them promote the strength of Strikeforce's HW division.
    If he gets injured,Strikeforce lose out again

You've listed all possibilities except for one.

If he gets a fight against a good opponent and wins, not only does that spread Strikeforces name about but his win streak is also increased which means more draw power.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:37 pm

What fighter that fights outside the US in the HW division is ranked high enough to be considered a good and worthy opponent for Werdum?

If there is one,then fair enough,but I can't think of one.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Ishii, for one. Timmeh would also be a good fight.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Non-exclusive contracts good for Strikeforce lol!

Having their HW champ defend the title once in 3 yrs, against a guy who got Ko'ed in his last fight and changes tyres for a living is good for SF??

Not only that but wasnt 2010 supposed to be "the year of Overeem"? He fights once against Rogers then rules himself out for the rest of the year half way through 2010, and rules himself out for the 1st few months of 2011 also.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Ishii, for one. Timmeh would also be a good fight.

Where is Ishii ranked? I stopped following MMA rankings for a few months now. Things must have changed alot since then pale
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Who said Werdums opponent had to be ranked? Ishii is no pushover and brings some great grappling the table. Alot of you get caught up on the fact Werdum beat Fedor and automatically think the only people worthy of challenging him are the absolute bests in the world, not true. Anyway, after beating Fedor he deserves to be cut some slack.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm

You just proved my point,Ishii lol!

Timmeh would probably be his best option outside the US,but still this would be a fight where werdum has nothing to gain beating a guy outside the top 20 and alot for him and Strikeforce to lose.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Isn't Barnett a viable option for him too?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:12 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Who said Werdums opponent had to be ranked? Ishii is no pushover and brings some great grappling the table. Alot of you get caught up on the fact Werdum beat Fedor and automatically think the only people worthy of challenging him are the absolute bests in the world, not true. Anyway, after beating Fedor he deserves to be cut some slack.

Question Suspect No

You what,so lets get this right,you think it's right for a top ranked fighters to fight guys completely below there level just to get some extra wins on there record,I guess you had no problems with haye fighting Harrison then and wouldn't mind if MMA goes down the same route.
    And also you think that once a fighter has won against a top fighter,he shouldn't stay in the mix,he should be given a break,an easy fight in his next fight against a completely unranked opponent.

As I said before,I would like the sport to be taken serious,where every fight you win advances your career and the standard of fighter you face,so once you reach the top 10,you shouldn't face an opponent that's not within the top 20,so that fights are always evenly matched against other fighters that have also proven and earned the right to be considered a competitive opponent.
    The competition should improve as they improve,taking huge backwards steps after great wins does nothing for the fighter or the sport.

Barnetts in Strikeforce
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 am

Werdum should be allowed to fight and get paid if he wants to, by keeping him from fighting till march, they are opening the door for him to fight elsewhere, which is the way it should be.

btw ben Fedor IS ready to fight, which is the annoying thing about all this!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 am

Since when is Timmeh outside the top 20?? He's borderline top 15 and that's more due to inactivity than anything else.

Timmeh, in shape, is a top 10 HW without question. He's boring as fuck and he's an ass but look at his record. 2 time UFC HW champ, the only guys to beat him when he's been good to go are Mir - 2 time UFC champ, Arlovski - spent most of his career ranked in the top 5, Couture - 3 time UFC HW champ, Nog - second, or at worst third, best HW of all time, and some chap called Fedor who I hear is over-rated. He was unlucky against Mir, he beat Arlovski twice, he gave Nog a beating before getting caught. His only lopsided losses are to Couture and Fedor.

Of course fat out-of-shape Timmeh got KO'd by Mercer but Mercer is an Olympic champion boxer who would knock out most people if he caught them flush.

Timmeh, if he's ready to fight(and he looked pretty good in his last few fights) is a good challenge for Werdum and as Chesty says, if Strikeforce don't have a fight for him right now he should be allowed to go and earn a living elsewhere instead of being treated by a piece of stock the way the UFC treat their fighters,
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:39 am

i kind of see why the ufc tie down their fighters for business reasons, but i also see the fighter may not want that as when the promotion might not have a fight for them the fighter instead of sitting at home could be out oversees making a living.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:03 am

Ishii is a bad idea, knowing him he'll take the fight in a heartbeat, but I'd like to see him rack up 5 wins against average competition before starting to face world-class fighters. Ishii could be a future number one LHW or HW, but his problem is that he wants to do everything so fast and it might slow down his progress.

But there are other options anyway. They don't have to be bums, he can face solid opposition. Whats Monson up to these days? Ryan Jimmo is a good fighter. Mizuno is a much improved fighter, one of the most improved fighters of 09/10. It's a long shot, but I think Cole Konrad is accessible. And ofc there is Timmeh. All these fights could happen at Dynamite.

It's not ideal for Sf that Werdum does want to fight once before facing Overoid or Fedor, because he can lose. But Werdum is a competitor and right now is in the prime of his career. It's good to see fighters with freedom.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm

im hoping monson goes to strikeforce, not sure about ishii at the moment though he has all the potental.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Fabricio Werdum Wants to Fight Outside of Strikeforce Before Facing Fedor or Overeem Empty Overeem is after a fight with Werdum on NYE

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Strikeforce heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem has revealed he won’t be competing for the California based MMA promotion until the second quarter of 2011 due to his involvement in the K-1 World Grand Prix Final 8, but you could see him on the year-end, Dynamite!! show in Japan.

Speaking via MMAFighting.com, Overeem said:

“I will be ready for Strikeforce as soon as I would say April, May, June.”

When asked whether he could be ready in time to fight on FEG’s Dynamite!! show on New Year’s Eve, Overeem said:

“Yes, there is a chance. I wanna fight [at Dynamite!!] but it is depending on my health. If there’s no injuries I’m going to fight [MMA], but realistically speaking, Dec. 11 is K-1 Grand Prix, that’s three weeks to New Year’s Eve.”

Finally, when asked about who he’d like to face when he returns to the Strikeforce cage next year, “The Demolition Man” said:

“Personally, I think Werdum. Yep, Werdum, cause that makes sense. I already fought Brett [Rogers] coming out of a loss to Fedor. People gave me a lot of [expletive] for that. ‘Yeah, you’re a fighting a guy who lost, this and that.’ I’m not interested in doing that anymore. Let’s stick to some sort of ranking and that rankings tell me Werdum beat Fedor. Now, in my opinion, Werdum is No. 2 and Fedor is No. 3, I would say [Antonio "Bigfoot"] Silva is No. 4.”

“I have not loss my patience because the thing is I’m just going to do K-1. I’m not going to sit there and wait until somebody wants to fight me. I went to States to challenge people openly and I’m getting a no from Werdum and I’m getting a no from Fedor.”

“The thing is no other MMA fighter is competing on this level in K-1 and no MMA fighter has been K-1 champion at the same time. It is kinda unique. I think no one had done that and no one else will ever do that.”

Overeem has made it clear that he’s no longer interested in facing formerly ranked number one heavyweight in the world, Fedor Emelianenko after he lost to Fabricio Werdum earlier this year. The big Dutchman wants a crack at the Brazilian himself, someone he too lost out against while both men competed under the PRIDE banner.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:25 am