THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
payneNglory1
ChelseaQuinsfan
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
hendos_right_hook
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
12 posters

M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card Empty M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 pm

After weeks of doubt about the fighter's once-expected participation, Fedor Emelianenko will not, in fact, fight in April during Strikeforce's return to CBS airwaves.

According to a report from MMAFighting.com, M-1 officials today said at M-1 Selection Eastern European press conference that Emelianenko will fight Fabricio Werdum – but not until May.

Strikeforce officials have not confirmed plans for the April show, but as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Wednesday, it could move to Showtime (or be delayed altogether) now that Emelianenko won't be involved.

As part of his contract with Strikeforce, Emelianenko's fights have to air on CBS rather than its premium-cable partner, Showtime, which has a fraction of the audience.

If it does go on, Strikeforce's April show is likely to take place April 17 in Nashville, Tenn., though Tennessee Athletic Commission Executive Director Jeff Mullen told MMAjunkie.com the organization hasn't officially requested the date. A long-expected bout between Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and UFC veteran/recent signee Dan Henderson would likely take the event's headline slot, and a likely bout between Strikeforce 205-pound champ Gegard Mousasi and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal could take the co-main-event slot.

Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz on Wednesday said the organization hopes to have the event details locked in by week's end.

As for Emelianenko's involvement, MMAjunkie.com reported on Wednesday that it had been downgraded from questionable to "unlikely." With M-1's confirmation that Emelianenko will fight in May, a recently rumored May DREAM meeting with Alistair Overeem now also would appear unlikely.

Emelianenko (32-1 MMA, 1-0 SF), a longtime PRIDE champion who made his Strikeforce debut with a November 2009 victory over Brett Rogers, and his M-1 management team previously mentioned Werdum (13-4-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) as the Russian's likely next opponent. The former UFC fighter is 2-0 in Strikeforce with wins over Mike Kyle and Antonio Silva.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18087/m-1-fedor-emelianenko-fighting-fabricio-werdum-in-may-off-planned-april-cbs-card.mma
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card Empty Re: M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 pm

This sucks that they could be postponing the CBS showing aswell as the Fedor-Werdum fight. Guys like Hendo and Mousasi deserve more main stream viewing.

Mousasi quiting M-1 seems to have turned out well for Strikeforce (for now anyway), as they would had to postpone Mousai-Mo fight aswell in that case.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card Empty Re: M-1: Fedor Emelianenko fighting Fabricio Werdum in May, off planned April CBS card

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:01 pm

I think SF didnt want Fedor on the card, Its a big card as it is and Every card Fedor is on M-1 take a big cut of the profits. M-1 are a bunch of Arseholes who to me are really fucking with Fedors career.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 pm

I never believed the whole Co-Promoting thing would work out well for Strikeforce in the long term.

Looks like they could have hit problems sooner than i thought.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Well at least Mousasi is with them without M-1 bleeding them dry for him. I think if Fedor ends up being a big draw they can use him twice a year or so and make some money off him... however if his 2million fee is anywere near true I dont see how anyone can afford to pay him!!

Fedor reportedly gets 300,000 and Vatim 1million for "Consultancy fee" what a fucking Gangster... I hope Fedor shakes these pricks off his coat tails...

Then again maby he looks at Alkes career and thinks he needs managment!
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 pm

This is a fair decision, they clearly want the consistency of UFC, and what I feared with the April card was that there wasn't much to follow it. They had 3 or four top fights on one card, so it makes sense to spread it out a bit.

M-1 are cunts.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 am

I love the shows they put on though. M1 Challenge is hardcore mma at it's finest.
    cheers
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:27 am

Ive seen a few M-1 events they put on their website sometimes. There good but alot of very poor fighter on show aswell.

I dont follow M-1 events so much.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 am

Meanie, have a look at Chesty's thread about the worst fighter ever. Comical stuff.

On Strikeforce's card. This makes a lot of sense. They will have two title matches on this Card in April, MW and LHW. There's no need to have Fedor on it. Put Fedor and maybe the next Melendez fight(hopefully against Aoki) on in May. And then they can have the HW title, the WW title and the womens title at their next event.

Ben, that's not how Fedor's pay works. He gets 300,000 cash for himself. M1 gets the rest because of tax reasons. Russian tax laws allow athletes living in Russia but making their earnings from abroad a large tax free allowance. Fedor prob only pays tax on about 50,000 of the 300,000. Companies bringing money into the country get enormous tax breaks. So that's why most of the money is channelled through M1. Fedor still takes home the majority of his money because he gets a high dividend as a shareholder in M1. These stories about how much his handlers make are all based on nonsense coming from the mouth of a bald muppet.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:14 am

M-1 say Fedor would only fight Overeem if he gets drug tested pre-fight. There goes Fedor-Overeem in Dream this year out the window.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Good Overeem needs to start facing up to Drug tests. One thing I think if he wants to get big fights he needs to come to the US and do the tests. Staying in Japan has little to no options for him, Just look at his recent opposition.

He is going to have to start cycling off whatever he is on, and im sure that will effect him game. Having said taht Mir bulked up similarly in a lot lot shorter time... people seem to give him the benefit of the doubt, then again I suppose he beat the tests. I beleive OVereem could naturally get that big over 5 years or however longs its been... I just think he is juicing because he is clearly avoiding being tested.

If I was Fedor id go down the Mayweather route and insist that he was blood tested as well.

Scott Coker said that Brett Rogers next fight would most likely be Overeem or Bigfoot!!! Either of those is a great matchup. Maby we will see Overeem on the undercard or Werdum vs Fedor?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Rogers vs Big Foot will be great if it happens.

I'd like to see Overeem vs Arlovski to be honest.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Arlovski vs Overeem was supposed to happen, Id much rather see things play out like that too because Arlovski and Overeem are two of the most highly though of strikers in the devision, and both mens chins have let them down before. Id back Overoid because his bullrushing constant front foot style would just overwhelm Arlovski. What the fuck is Arlovski even doing these days apart from boring hour long bloggs! He needs a fight ASAP (Isnt he Boxing soon in so Charity sparring match crap?) hopefully he gets a real fight soon or ring rust is going to kick in, he hasnt seem more than a couple of mins action in that last couple of years.

Bigfoot vs Rogers would be awsome, who you got in that one? Bigfoot really shocked me with a shit performance against Werdum, He just didnt look like the guy who was flying into Cabbage with flying knees! But Rogers has really impressed me. Before the Fedor fight Id have said Bigfoot but now I think Rogers would win. Funny because they are similar size and Bigfoot has more skills, I just think Rogers is on far better form.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:52 pm

I'd have to back BigFoot. He's got a great chin so i don't think Rogers could KO him and BigFoot is big enough, and strong enough to keep him on the mat and tap him out. I'd go Big Foot by submission in the late 2nd.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Bigfoot didnt look massive becide Werdum, I wonder if Rogers would be able to throw him about a bit... What camp are they both at? I think with these big guys with raw physical power its about who has more skills and a better camp. I dont think Rogers trains with anyone of note... Bigfoot was a ATT at one point or BTT (Is Brazilian top team even still about)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Big Foot is at ATT.

Rogers trains at Ambition MMA in Minnesota. The striking coach is Sergio Cunha, who i knew when he was at Chute Boxe. Really good coach. Can't see him working with Rogers much though. Cunha is the master of the Thai clinch. Ambition used to be Bison MMA which was a great oldschool gym in Mike Reilly's garage! I trained with them back in the day! Great bunch of lads. Rogers wasn't there when i was there though.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm

i was really lookinh forward to this fight at least its a still a good card
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Rogers is bigger than Bigfoot, i would have that as a 50-50 fight. Perhaps favouring Rogers due to his size. Brett did well in escaping the submission attempts by Fedor. He really suprised me in that fight. He was able to use his size to his advantage. And may have showed people the blue print on how to beat Fedor.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 pm

by getting knocked out?

Rogers's isn't much bigger than BigFoot. Isn't as good a striker and isn't as good on the ground. I think BigFoot would be a big favourite in that fight.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 pm

"by getting knocked out? "

That part could be left out when constructing the blue print Wink
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Bigfoot is heavier than he looks.

and has been KOd before, his chin isnt fantastic, Rogers could definatley KO him.

but BF is more well rounded .

either way i would love to see it happen.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 pm

He wasn't KO'd by Pele. He got dropped by a huge shot(regardless of the daft commentary team) but it was a very poor stoppage.

Shocking stoppage.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Why did the ref stand them up after Silva dropped Pele? If I was Silva, I would be incredible pissed off at that ref, standing them after being in a good position to finish and then ending the fight because of a few harmless punches. Awful stoppage.

I don't really like Rogers, he is big and hits hard but apart from a troubled Arvloski, he hasn't beaten anyone. He looked pretty good against Fedor before getting smashed but I don't think has enough tools everywhere. Size is definitley a factor in his success. I think Werdum would submit him.

Silva vs Rogers would be intresting, not sure how it would go.

Strikeforce HW rankings

1)Fedor
    2)Werdum
    3)Overoid
    4)Big Foot
    5)Rogers
    6)Lashley
    7)Puder
    8)Walker
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 pm

I think it was because they fell through the ropes. BodogFight rules were a bit daft as far as i can remember.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:51 am

Thats very daft, anytime anyone is in trouble they should go under the ropes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 1:15 am