THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
7 posters

Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem Empty Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Well, Alistair Overeem, Scott Coker and M-1 Global's collective prayers may have been answered.

According to a report from Super Lutas, Werdum may be out of action for the rest of the year due to an injury that will likely require surgery and rehab to remedy, likely clearing the way for an Alistair Overeem-Fedor Emelianenko Strikeforce heavyweight title fight later this year.

MMAMania has the English translation of the interview that was originally written in Portugese:

"Everything has changed for better for me. That was very important. I’ve gotten over 30 phone calls a day in my gym after the win, more students have come, the seminar value went up. It’s like at any other profession, a singer, soccer player, as you develop and get the spotlight the value changes. After the seminars I will undergo a surgery on my elbow that I have put off for some time. We’re in July and I only want to come back 100-percent recovered. I think it’s hard to make it back this year due the physical therapy, conditioning and all else. Then I might just get back next year."

With Emelianenko's last fight on his current deal with the U.S. organization looming, Strikeforce's lack of apt heavyweight contenders and Overeem's vocalized desire to face the Russian fighter, if Werdum does go under the knife, the fight is all but a done deal if Strikeforce and M-1 can come to reasonable terms to make it happen.

I can see them trying to play hardball with the co-promotion revenue for the bout that will no doubt anchor a pay-per-view, but considering Fedor lost his last fight, M-1's power to negotiate has waned substantially.
    http://www.cagepotato.com/werdum-facing-surgery-fedor-may-legitimately-get-next-shot-overeem-0
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem Empty Re: Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Quality!! as long as Overeem is up for the fight I guess we will see it.

M-1 will cut their losses and beg for a Deal with UFC if SF dont give them what they want the will go to UFC.

M-1 said they dont need to co-promote any more with UFC so they sound like the main hurdle is gone. I still think UFC will want Fedor so SF will give him Overeem to keep him.

Fedor vs Overeem is my most looked forward to Hw fight and almost more excited about it now. Fedor has to silence the doubters and Overeem has to show whether all this hype is justified or if he is the same guy Sergi made run away! Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem Empty Re: Werdum Facing Surgery, Fedor May Legitimately Get the Next Shot at Overeem

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Yes, should be a great fight. I hope Fedor beats him worse than he beat Coleman Twisted Evil

Should be a great fight, intresting to see what Fedor does. On the feet its Fedor's boxing against Overoid's kickboxing, I think its quite even standing. On the ground though Fedor will have the advantage, Overoid's a pretty good grappler but he won't match Fedor on the ground.

Best HW fight in a long time on paper.

God I hope Fedor wins though.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm

I'd like to know who much money was in that big brown envolope that coker has obviously slipped over to Werdum,to conveintly get a long standing niggling injury fixed at this time.

The completely correct thing to do by Coker to sort out the mess he created,but this should of been planned before the Fedor fight,instead of digging himself into a hole first with all the bullshit he's been coming out with.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm sort of glad that Fedor has that loss against Werdum now. I cannot see anyway that he will treat Overoid lightly. I can see nothing but a brutal beatdown for Fedor.

Don't think that I could stand the grief that would follow a Fedor loss.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:16 am

Coker continues to make the right moves for SF. Best promoter in MMA.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Maybe not...

Two things that seemed like definites in Fabricio Werdum's future just a week ago are no longer the locks they once seemed to be.

First, while Werdum does have an elbow problem that is soon to be addressed, surgery has not yet been recommended by any doctors.

And second, the rematch with Fedor Emelianenko that Werdum spoke of in the moments right after his stunning upset is no longer first and foremost on the Brazilian's mind.

News of Werdum's possible year-ending surgery broke about a week ago, but his manager Richard Wilner said his client may have spoken too soon. Surgery is certainly possible, but no guarantee.

"Dr. Fabricio Werdum is the one who said he needs surgery," he said. "But he hasn't yet been evaluated by a doctor. We have an appointment scheduled for next week, so we are still waiting to hear what the doctors have to say. If sugery is in fact necessary, it would be a very minor thing. It's not a traumatic injury."

Though Wilner said they're unaware of what exactly the injury is, its effect is more dysfunctional than painful. it doesn't allow Werdum to straighten his left arm, so it always appears in a bent angle.

"It happens to boxers a lot from repetitive motion," he said. "He's had it for a long time. He's just put off dealing with it for a while because he was training for fights."

If doctors determine surgery is in fact necessary, Wilner believes it will indeed be minor and only knock him out of action briefly. The next question, then, would be who Werdum might face in his Fedor follow-up.

In the moments right after the 69-second victory, Werdum said he'd graciously grant Emelianenko a rematch, and even do so on Russian soil. But once he had a chance to sit back and take in the entire situation, other thoughts came into play.

"That was with the emotions of the fight running high," Wilner said. "Once emotions subside and rationale thought prevails, Fabricio understands there's no upside to a rematch with Fedor unless M-1 puts a significant amount of money on the table. We have no rematch clause in our contract with Strikeforce."

Told that Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem recently voiced a desire to fight Werdum with the belief that he's "100 percent sure I'm going to beat him," Wilner laughed.

"He guarantees he'll win, just like the last time Fabricio kicked his ass," he said. (Werdum defeated Overeem by kimura in the 2006 PRIDE Open Weight Grand Prix.)

"While we're open to the possibility of fighting Fedor again, whatever opportunity that Strikeforce puts in front of us, as long as it makes sense, we'll consider it," Wilner said.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/21/fabricio-werdums-surgery-is-no-guarantee-neither-is-fedor-rema/
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 pm

this Wilner bloke seems like a douche. But he knows giving Fedor a rematch is not the smartest thing to do!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am