THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
poz
payneNglory1
8 posters

Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next  Empty Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said the promotion is considering a heavyweight championship bout between Alistair Overeem and Fedor Emelianenko next, despite Emelianenko’s recent defeat to Fabricio Werdum.

Werdum submitted Emelianenko with a 69-second choke triangle-armbar at Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Werdum” on June 26 in San Jose, Calif. It was the 33-year-old Emelianenko’s first loss in 29 fights and nearly 10 years.

Emelianenko’s M-1 Global management, which co-promotes select events with Strikeforce, has already requested the rematch with Werdum “right away,” according to Coker. Under the current contract, Emelianenko will return to the U.S., at least one more time to compete under the Strikeforce/M-1 Global banner.

“My feeling is maybe Fedor should fight Alistair Overeem and whoever wins that fight gets to fight Fabricio Werdum,” Coker told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show last week. “Alistair vs. Fedor? I’d love to see that fight happen.”

Coker said negotiations to extend the agreement between the two entities for more co-produced events featuring Emelianenko are forthcoming.

“We just saw Fedor fight Werdum. I’m not saying we couldn’t do the rematch first,” said Coker. “I’m just saying there are a couple of options on the table and the other option would be to fight Alistair…but until we sit down with M-1, these are all just the options…For me, the times have changed and it’s going to be an interesting negotiation now.”

As for the promotion’s heavyweight champion Overeem, Coker quelled talk that the 31-year-old Dutch striker’s attention might be divided with his preliminary plans to enter a K-1 tournament this summer.

“I talked to Alistair and have really good contact with his management and they told me his priority is going to be fighting in America,” said Coker. “If he does want to enter the K-1 tournament, I have no problem with that. We’ll schedule around that because I know he has a personal goal that he’d like to win that tournament.

“I think (Overeem) wants to fight Fabricio Werdum really bad and I think he wants to fight Fedor really bad,” added Coker. “He is our champion, so we’ll put those fights together for him.”

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next  Empty Re: Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next

Post  poz Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Am I right in thinking that Overeem is the Strikeforce HWC? Surely then, although M-1 are entitled to ask for a rematch, shouldn't Werdum be offered a fight against Overeem first, with Fedor maybe fighting the winner?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next  Empty Re: Coker: M-1 Requests Werdum Rematch, Fedor-Overeem Possible Next

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Coker is clueless and IMO is bad for Strikeforce.

For someone that claims he knew Werdum was going to beat Fedor,and knew Fedor only had one fight left on his contract,he isn't half making a complete fuck up over all this.

For the sake of Strikeforce,I really hope they get someone in to replace him before it's to late.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Are you 'baiting' some of the more vocal (ahem) members there Payne, you tinker Twisted Evil
    I just think Werdum surely would want a pop at the champ next? If Overeem isn't too tied up with the K1 thing.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:39 pm

i don't want to be negative towards either person...but i think it's possible that Overeem and Werdum are ducking each other.

After the Fedor fight Werdum said that he would gladly offer a rematch, despite the initial fight being a title eliminator....and when asked about an Overeem fight he said that would be like "taking a step backwards from Fedor"....well duh. you just beat Fedor, it doesnt get any better than that mate!

Overeem also said he would rather fight Fedor, and not have a fight with Werdum, rather go back to K1.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:46 pm

ppozma wrote:Are you 'baiting' some of the more vocal (ahem) members there Payne, you tinker Twisted Evil
    I just think Werdum surely would want a pop at the champ next? If Overeem isn't too tied up with the K1 thing.

who me,never Very Happy
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:49 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    ppozma wrote:Are you 'baiting' some of the more vocal (ahem) members there Payne, you tinker Twisted Evil

who me,never Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy
    Light fuse, stand well back.......
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Coker is doing a great job with Strikeforce and is being smart. If Fedor fights, and beats, Overeem, then they can do Fedor-Werdum afterwards because of the championship clause. So they get 2 fights out of Fedor. And extended time to work out a new deal. Otherwise they risk losing him after his next fight.

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Is that fair though mate, shouldn't Werdum be able to challenge Overeem before Fedor makes amends? (hopefully)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Werdum hasn't showed an interest in fighting Overeem. And Overeem hasn't shown an interest in fighting Werdum. Both want Fedor and the best thing for Strikeforce is Overeem-Fedor.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Coker is a bit of a fuckwit, he says 8 man tournament. Le say No, Smith isnt a contender, Kennedy and Jacare are fighting each other and... yeah... the Mw champ is gone.

Things havnt worked out in a way because the 2 biggest names, Fedor and Hendo just lost! Laughing bit of bad luck there but explain this...

Rogers gets a shot over Fedor after coming off a loss, Ok we will give you that one Coker...

Fedor looses to Werdum and gets a shot at Overeem...

Wait what is Coker doing again.

Chesty you said that SF ran thereselves more like boxing but this is a step in the wrong direction. The WAMMA belt that Fedor holds needs to be hung on Wandys wall becide the Saku belt cause its as (if not more) meaningless.

Scrap that title Fedor doesnt defend. Make Overeem and Werdum fight. UNLESS Overeem wants to fight in K-1 and allow Werdum and Fedor to rematch.

Overeem vs Fedor is the figth we all want to see. It doesnt make sence though if things are to be run more professionally.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:02 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Coker is a bit of a fuckwit, he says 8 man tournament. Le say No, Smith isnt a contender, Kennedy and Jacare are fighting each other and... yeah... the Mw champ is gone.

Things havnt worked out in a way because the 2 biggest names, Fedor and Hendo just lost! Laughing bit of bad luck there but explain this...

Rogers gets a shot over Fedor after coming off a loss, Ok we will give you that one Coker...

Fedor looses to Werdum and gets a shot at Overeem...

Wait what is Coker doing again.

Chesty you said that SF ran thereselves more like boxing but this is a step in the wrong direction. The WAMMA belt that Fedor holds needs to be hung on Wandys wall becide the Saku belt cause its as (if not more) meaningless.

Scrap that title Fedor doesnt defend. Make Overeem and Werdum fight. UNLESS Overeem wants to fight in K-1 and allow Werdum and Fedor to rematch.

Overeem vs Fedor is the figth we all want to see. It doesnt make sence though if things are to be run more professionally.
    Those last two paragraphs make the most sense. Overeem and Werdum fight unless Overeem wants his K1 stuff, then he can't have a beef if Strikeforce match the other two.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:05 pm

8 man tournie will still happen. Le doesn't need to be in it.

Kennedy and Jacare is part of the tournament is it not?

Fedor vs Overeem makes the most sense for the company in terms of people who want to fight each other and making sure they get the most out of Fedor. If Fedor was to fight Werdum, win and then leave, they are without a title contender. If Fedor fights Silva, wins and leave, they are with a title contender for the winner of Overeem-Werdum. If Fedor fights Overeem and wins then he will stick about. He won't walk away while he's champion.

WAMMA belt is nothing to do with Fedor. They have to sanction a fight as a title fight and they choose not to have Fedor-Werdum as a title match because CBS weren't willing to give enough time in case it went 5 rounds and an agreement couldn't be reached. Nothing to do with Coker.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Werdum hasn't showed an interest in fighting Overeem. And Overeem hasn't shown an interest in fighting Werdum. Both want Fedor and the best thing for Strikeforce is Overeem-Fedor.

What bit of this gives you the idea that Overeem has no interest in fighting Werdum

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Yes it is part of the Tournament Anfield your right. Suppose that is one good thing he has done. Ill forgive him his stupidity in other things if he gives us Melendez vs Alzarez. Laughing Im busting to see that.

Hendo and Babalu looking to fight at 205 I heard so maby the 185 tournament could be looking bad if they dont use a Dream figher or someone. Glad Manhoed is in. I bet Lawler isnt though! Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:00 am

Werdum doesn't give a shit about Overoid because he means nothing. He is a cheating fuck who's title means fuck all, whats the point of fighting for a worthless belt when he could fight the best HW in the world?

This is where some one like Dana White is very useful to have, he tells the fighters who there fighting and thats it, its done.

Niether Overoid or Werdum give a shit about the title, all they want is to fight Fedor. Sort of devalues an already near-worthless title (and you can thank Overoid for that)

Cocker seems like too much of a pushover and he seems quite scared of losing his fighters. First he needs to see how much longer Fedor wants to keep going. If its one more fight, give him Werdum and thats that. If Fedor wants to keep going, the Cocker should get Werdum to fight Overoid for the title, get Fedor to fight someone like Bigfoot. Winner of that fights the winner of Overoid/Werdum.

All of this could have been avoided if Overoid was stripped of the title. That would instantly give it more creditability. Then he should have made Fedor vs Werdum for the title. At the very least he should have made an IC. Im not normally for them but if a guy hasn't defended in three years, there's a need for one. If Fedor vs Werdum was for an IC, then Werdum would have no option but to face Overoid and vice versa. Unfortuantley, Cocker is getting pushed around by these guys quite a bit.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:10 am

Rumor of Sergi fighting Bigfoot. Overeem said his priority is to fight in the states so you can only assume if he wants to stay busy in SF he fights Werdum. Fedor cant get a title shot, Werdum can.

FEDOR VS KING MO???

Why not. Not even talking about Lhw because Mo will fight at Heavy. If Mo defends his Title stick him in with Fedor.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

This is where some one like Dana White is very useful to have, he tells the fighters who there fighting and thats it, its done.

Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Josh Koscheck, John Fitch.

Four people who prove that the above statement is far from true.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:28 am

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Werdum hasn't showed an interest in fighting Overeem. And Overeem hasn't shown an interest in fighting Werdum. Both want Fedor and the best thing for Strikeforce is Overeem-Fedor.

What bit of this gives you the idea that Overeem has no interest in fighting Werdum

Perhaps the complete lack of interest in his voice!? He clearly has no interest in the fight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 am

Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Josh Koscheck, John Fitch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Machida- He told Shogun gets his rematch and thats what happened. Machida would have wanted a rematch, instead he got Rampage/Griffin.

Silva- umm he wanted GSP, who did he get? Sonnen. Who is Silva fighting? Sonnen.

Kos/Fitch- True but Fitch didn't get the title shot he wanted and instead has a much tougher opponent to go through in Alves.

The other one I can think of, and im suprised you didn't mention is BJ Penn. He has got what he wanted several times, Dana wanted Maynard to fight him but BJ wanted Edgar beause he was more exciting. He also got the rematch he asked for. To be fair though Dana gave him the third fight he wanted with GSP. Either way BJ Penn seems to be the only one who really has any power over Dana, probably because he knows he is too valuable to lose.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 am

The lack of interest in his voice.

I think your reaching abit there mate.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:51 am

payneNglory1 wrote:The lack of interest in his voice.

I think your reaching abit there mate.

Not even slightly. Listen to him speak. He shows no interest in the fight AT ALL.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:56 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Josh Koscheck, John Fitch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Machida- He told Shogun gets his rematch and thats what happened. Machida would have wanted a rematch, instead he got Rampage/Griffin.

Silva- umm he wanted GSP, who did he get? Sonnen. Who is Silva fighting? Sonnen.

Kos/Fitch- True but Fitch didn't get the title shot he wanted and instead has a much tougher opponent to go through in Alves.

The other one I can think of, and im suprised you didn't mention is BJ Penn. He has got what he wanted several times, Dana wanted Maynard to fight him but BJ wanted Edgar beause he was more exciting. He also got the rematch he asked for. To be fair though Dana gave him the third fight he wanted with GSP. Either way BJ Penn seems to be the only one who really has any power over Dana, probably because he knows he is too valuable to lose.

Machida was the champion and had to defend against the number 1 contender. He never complained. That Shogun was simply placed as number 1 contender in the first place, and then given an un-earned rematch are things that have caused major issues between Dana and the Black House crew.

Silva hasn't complained about Sonnen. He's the champ and defends his belt against everyone. If he decides to act out, what the fuck is Dana going to do? Anderson could turn around and do exactly what he's done 3 times before if he wants to prove a point. Dana can talk shit all he wants, he's not going to cut Anderson Silva(his best fighter) and let him walk off to Strikeforce.

Dana told them they would fight each other if he decided, they laughed at him.

Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, BJ, and the 4 i mentioned. All control there own destinies.

Besides, Joe Silva comes up with the fights and then calls the fighters to ASK if they'll take the fight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 am

He doesn't seem very intrested at all in that interviewto me!

Doesn't matter though, because it looks like it will happen which is a GOOD thing. Fedor can either fight Big Foot or just wait till these guys are done. Then he can make the decision, I think Fedor is more intrested in fighting Werdum than Overoid. He wants the loss avenged, he doesn't care about how much money and ratings he can make with Overoid. It doesn't matter if Werdum wins-lose or draw, Fedor will fight him before he fights Overoid.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:11 am

Machida was the champion and had to defend against the number 1 contender. He never complained. That Shogun was simply placed as number 1 contender in the first place, and then given an un-earned rematch are things that have caused major issues between Dana and the Black House crew.

Silva hasn't complained about Sonnen. He's the champ and defends his belt against everyone. If he decides to act out, what the fuck is Dana going to do? Anderson could turn around and do exactly what he's done 3 times before if he wants to prove a point. Dana can talk shit all he wants, he's not going to cut Anderson Silva(his best fighter) and let him walk off to Strikeforce.

Dana told them they would fight each other if he decided, they laughed at him.

Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, BJ, and the 4 i mentioned. All control there own destinies.

Besides, Joe Silva comes up with the fights and then calls the fighters to ASK if they'll take the fight.

As well it should considering Machida was treated like shit but my point stands. Dana has decided what Machida does, he done it in a terrible way and alienated the blackhouse guys but Machida has shown no control over him.

He won't cut him, but he won't give him GSP or Shogun which is what he wants. Silva can't be an example because he very clearly wanted GSP and didn't get him. He can protest all he wants, it doesn't change anything.

The didn't laugh, he bitched Fitch out in front of the reporters after Fitch's last fight. They have no control over there destiny, how many fights did Fitch have to go through before he got a title shot? He won't fight Kos or Swick but thats it and will cost him in his career dearly, especially if Kos wins and he has to move up to MW. He has to face Alves FFS and it could have been avoided if he took the fight against Kos. How many fights did Kos go through before he earned a title shot? The most wins ever without reciveing one. To be fair he never actually deserved it till now.

The last 4 you have mentioned are all what Dana considers close friends or atleast at some point money making machines. He has stayed loyal to them in there older years but thats just friendship and loyalty (except BJ ofc). Nothing more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:54 am