THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+13
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
elmatadorafa
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
Heterocyclic
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
poz
The_Axe_Emperor
17 posters

Fedor-Werdum

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor-Werdum Empty Fedor-Werdum

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Didn't see any thread on this or even any debate, which i thought was weird, (however i may be blind Cool )

Anyway, i looked at the predictions and pretty much everyone here thinks Fedor will finish him in the second.. was just curious as to why this is? Only person that has finished is JDS and he has dynamite hands, i know Fedor has recent KO's but not exactly against the best chins in the business. Now i am by no means comparing Werdums chin to that of Cote or Hendo, but for some reason i just dont see Fedor KO'ing him, mainly because i really don't think Werdum will be dumb enough to stand with him. I think there's quite a high possibility that the majority of this fight is fought on the ground, probably similar to Fedor-Nog (although if Fedor unloads like he did in that fight i don't see Werdum withstanding it like Nog cheers )

ANYHOOOOO... Werdum by KO, there i said it Laughing

Also, any streams for the fight would be greatly appreciated Smile anyone gonna be on chatbox?
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Fedor-Werdum Empty Re: Fedor-Werdum

Post  poz Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Mate, you must be looking for trouble, predicting a Fedor loss Laughing
    I must admit I am gonna hate it when he does lose, but surely he will someday, unless he retires 1st? I won't moan if he does retire Smile
    These guys are usually pretty good at finding streams, you might be a little early though?
    I have a 5 o clock get up in the morning (BST), what time does the night kick off? It might be worth getting up a bit early!
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:21 pm

i have a strange feeling that werdum is gonna pull this off with either a sub or headkick(i no this is unlikely but i just got a strange feeling lol) still saying that fedor should beat him well hes the better fighter and cant see werdum standing up to his power for long and il be on the chat for definete love watching fedor fight live its a great experience seeing the best fighter ever live
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:52 pm

every time fedor fights i get the feeling his will be the time for him to lose, this is no different.

Its engrained in the human psyche that the bigger man should win in a fight i suppose.

Are bravo showing this at all?
    The last two fedor fights were shownon the sunday so i avoided the results but i cant see this on my sky planner.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 pm

ppozma - I feel EXACTLY the same as you! I'm like that with all my favourite fighters, whenever Wanderlei, Cro Cop or Fedor fight i get so anxious and naturally expect the worst, "Oh no, what if Bisping KO's Wand? Sad " "Shit man, what if Barry pulls this off???"... At least that way I'm not disappointed when they pull of the win I love you (obviously it was the opposite with Hardy, expecting the upset over GSP Laughing unfortunately i was disappointed with that result though Laughing )
    I know i'm early mate i just wanna make sure i have enough streams in case one gets taken down, but i hear Strikeforce aren't as quick at taking down streams compared to the UFC? As for the fight, if the event kicks off at 3 i'd expect the main event to be some time around 5? But yea, don't hold me to that, its just a guess. Anyone know when the Fedor fight will actually start?

Shanemc - The sub might just happen y'know but i wouldn't bet on the head kick!!! Laughing That said, isn't Werdum training with Rafael Cordeiro? Surely his Muay Thai will have improved in leaps and bounds training with him?
    Also, you're not wrong about the experience of watching Fedor live, truly a gift cheers We're so blessed at the time; Tiger Woods, Lionel Messi, Roger Federer and Fedor all at once I love you

Chestie - I've no idea mate i haven't checked? If i dont last to watch it live i'll probably just MMA-Core it? Don't think i can go a whole day avoiding the result anyway, maybe with some mediocre UFC events but certainly not a Fedor fight!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Haha also, Mark Coleman reckons Fedor will win. Here's my chat with him on Facebook;
    Me
    who u got for fedor-werdum tonight mark?
    19:30Mark
    fedor
    gtg my friend

Laughing A man of few words it seems.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:13 pm

werdum has a nice headkick i noticed it in the silva fight and he has a good height advantage over fedor you would never no if it did happen it would have to be the greatest prediction ever lol
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 pm

what time does the show start at? the usual 3am?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Most of the time I feel the same with GSP, except if its someone like Hardy Laughing (just to confirm, this is tounge in cheek)

Honestly I expect Fedor to win this easily. His chin is quite good, not the best in the sport but the only time he has been properly rocked was from Ol Iron Head and he has powerful hands. Rogers and Cro Cop hit him with somegood shots and he survived comfortably. All those guys have far more power than Werdum. Fedor cuts like Paper, Werdums best chance it a cut.

While JDS has heavier hands, Fedor packs more of a punch because of the speed he gains. JDS has faster hands but look at the punch Fedor hit Rogers with. The speed and power behind that are incredible and you can bet Werdum will go to sleep if Fedor hits him with a shot like that.

On the ground, Werdum isn't better than Pride Nog in terms of MMA grappling.

Im not a massive Cro Cop fan but I predicted him to beat Barry and im saying the same for Werdum.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:04 am

It says a lot about Fedor that this isnt the 1st time Ive heard someone say his opponents best chance to win is a cut! Laughing

What a genuine badass mofo!

Fedor-Werdum 29y38fp

Fedor-Werdum 153us8w
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

Justin.tv usually have a stream up, or links to streams. I'm staying up for it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:07 am

Has anyone recovered yet, to talk about what happened ? Laughing

Dana has the same smiley on his twitter as he did after the Nashville snoozefest/brawl.

Fedor did a Brock, he got way too excited he jumped into the guard with reckless abondenment. Werdum wasnt too hurt at all. There wasnt any clean shot landed, the hook that just grazed the temple while Werdum was already on his way down. I felt that he lured Fedor into going down with him. Fedor escaped the first armbar attempt but didnt get away from any danger, and deserved what he got in the end.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 am

Absolutely heartbroken silent
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:08 am

How impressive did Cung Le look?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 am

Fedor-Werdum 20100626092250_img_1678
    Look out Fedor, its a trap!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:38 am

Stunned. Just stunned.

He made a mistake and werdum made him pay for it. Have to imagine there'll an immediate rematch.

Don't think it changes anything, he's still the best ever and he's still the number 1 HW. Anderson may have just become number 1 P4P though.
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:04 pm

No MMA ranking is going to have Fedor at no.1. Most will have Brock at the top now, and those that have Werdum, they will put the Brock-Carwin at no.1 next week.

SF might decide to put Fedor against Overeem next, because its Fedor last fight on contract and they would like to get the Champions clause thing.

I couldnt believe Fedor followed him to the mat, Nog didnt even jump into Werdum's guard.

And then he left his arm in there for Werdum to catch twice, as someone said he escaped the first one, put left his arm in there for Werdum again. Really Sloppy Exclamation

And he looked more chubby than usual.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Doesn't really matter if no MMA rankings put him at 1. He's still the number 1 HW and neither Lesnar or Carwin have done anything to be rated above him.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:22 pm

People calling him sloppy, reckless etc must have short memories. wading into peoples guards like that is what made him the number 1 fighter in the world, taking the fight to people is what hes known for- just look at the Nog fight! Ever heard the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? That aggressiveness is one of the many reasons he was so successful so its probably why he just fell into the triangle, or on the other hand maybe he thought he really hurt Werdum and went for the finish prematurely? That said i do think he'll think twice about it now, because people are gonna try exploit that now... Not that Brock or Carwin are gonna be throwing up triangles any time soon.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

I hereby dub Werdum as "The Emelianenko Killer".
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:47 pm

I haven't been on the Armbar for an absolute eternity (exam time Neutral), but somethings make me have to pop on and post.

FEDOR FUCKING EMELIANENKO JUST LOST

Heartbroken is an understatement. I feel empty and lost, and the image of Dana's fat, bald and outrageously smug face will be haunting my dreams.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I was absolutley shocked TBH, stunned but he made a mistake and a world class BJJ fighter like Werdum made him pay. I love Big Nog, he is a much greater MMA fighter than Werdum but from what I hear, Werdum has the better BJJ. Certainly in grappling competitions. Even when they fought, Nog didn't want to go the ground with Werdum.

Has Fedor ever fought anyone who's BJJ is as good as Werdum?

All that success he had jumping into peoples gaurds did not work at all this time, he left himself open and Werdum saw the opening.

Werdum was great after the fight but im not sure why there should be a rematch. I would pick Fedor second time around but there was nothing contreversial about that fight and it wasn't like a Cung Le on Smith fight.

For now I would probably keep him at 1 but there would be an argument to have the winner of Carwin vs Lesnar first. It doesn't change the fact that Fedor is still actually the best fighter of all time and the best HW but records play an important factor in fights.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:59 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I was absolutley shocked TBH, stunned but he made a mistake and a world class BJJ fighter like Werdum made him pay. I love Big Nog, he is a much greater MMA fighter than Werdum but from what I hear, Werdum has the better BJJ. Certainly in grappling competitions. Even when they fought, Nog didn't want to go the ground with Werdum.

Has Fedor ever fought anyone who's BJJ is as good as Werdum?

All that success he had jumping into peoples gaurds did not work at all this time, he left himself open and Werdum saw the opening.

Werdum was great after the fight but im not sure why there should be a rematch. I would pick Fedor second time around but there was nothing contreversial about that fight and it wasn't like a Cung Le on Smith fight.

For now I would probably keep him at 1 but there would be an argument to have the winner of Carwin vs Lesnar first. It doesn't change the fact that Fedor is still actually the best fighter of all time and the best HW but records play an important factor in fights.

Agree with most of what you've said, but, surely there should be a chance for Fedor to avenge the loss? Agreed that there was no controversy, just a lapse in concentration, but after all that Fedor has given over the years, surely he's merited a rematch? Depends on how dominant the winner of Lesnar/Carwin is, you could argue that a very one-sided ass whupping could elevate Lesnar to No1 status, although, in my (and a lot of others) eyes, Fedor is still No1, obviously, should he fail to avenge the loss, there would have to be a change.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:07 pm

So the guy who has submitted Fedor in 70 seconds doesnt go above him in the rankings???

Did yous keep Miguel Torres at no.1 when he lost?

How about Edgar winning a very close decision, is BJ still no.1?

Or better yet, Machida winning a bullshit decision and keeping him at no..1....

The rankings here have always gone by offical result of your previous fights. The the guy who beats you aways goes above.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:58 pm

there is no-one with better BJJ than Werdum at heavyweight.

here was Fedor's mistake...he DIDNT treat this like the Nog fight!
    he said before that he had the forumla to dispatch Werdum quickly. (he also said he wasnted to put on a show for the fans)

now, we have all seen the gif of him beating on Nog, but if you watch the fight, he spends significant amounts of time controlling Nog and not getting too reckless.
    Against Werdum he was just too eager for a quick finish and got caught. bad mistake but it doesnt mean he is worse than lesnar for fucks sake lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:03 am