THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+13
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
elmatadorafa
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
Heterocyclic
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
poz
The_Axe_Emperor
17 posters

Fedor-Werdum

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor-Werdum - Page 2 Empty Re: Fedor-Werdum

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:59 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:So the guy who has submitted Fedor in 70 seconds doesnt go above him in the rankings???

Did yous keep Miguel Torres at no.1 when he lost?

How about Edgar winning a very close decision, is BJ still no.1?

Or better yet, Machida winning a bullshit decision and keeping him at no..1....

The rankings here have always gone by offical result of your previous fights. The the guy who beats you aways goes above.

Fedor has been #1 for more than 7 years, he gets a bye clown

Werdum at 2.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Werdum goes over Fedor, If you beat the guy above you then you get ranked over him to keep the rankings current. Fedor is number 1 of all time, but Werdum is the top Heavyweight in the world.

Any Rankings that have Brock top are wrong and complete UFC nut huggers. A Sub loss to Werdum is more forgiveable than a Sub loss to Mir. And the rest of their records dont even compare Fedor is still above Brock.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:03 pm

" Fedor is number 1 of all time, but Werdum is the top Heavyweight in the world."

Exactly, people seem to be thinking that if Fedor isnt no.1 in the current MMA rankings, it means he is less of a fighter than the guys above him or they go over him in the overall consensus of who the top fighters are.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:33 pm

If Werdum had beaten Fedor in a longer fight then i would put him at number 1, but Fedor made an early mistake and Werdum took advantage. Plus, it's too much of a jump based on one 70 second fight.

1. Fedor
    2. Werdum
    3. Brock/Carwin
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:34 pm

I don't for a second think that coker can afford to make fedor, Werdums next opponent over Overeem,the champion after he stated that the winner of this fight,fights the champ.

Reem would walk,if he gets treated like that and can they really afford that when Fedor only has one fight left on his contract and has already been talking about retirement.

Bigfoot is the only opponent I can think of for Fedor's last fight now and then hope fedor might sign on for a few more fights after,so we can see a Werdum rematch and him against Overeem,unless they can sort something out with Barnett for his last fight on his contract.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Rankings don't always show who the best fighter is in the division. If we were just ranking on ability, surely someone like Josh Barnett would be top 5 in the HW division.

So if Lesnar beats Carwin, a top 5 HW surely he deserves to go over a guy who lost to someone who was just in or around top 10. It doesn't change who the better fighter is and won't change the rankings for long, but it makes sense to me. Does it really make sense to compare a guy with over 30 fights to a guy with five? Ofc Fedor's record is much better than Lesnar's and always will be, thats why he is a greater fighter than Fedor and why he will go down as the greatest of all time. it doesn't neccisiarily mean he is right now, you can't use past losses to cover a current one.

Lesnar was submitted by Mir over 2 years ago now. Are we still holding that against him?

Oh and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a rematch and if it is truely Fedor's last fight then he certainly deserves a rematch for all he has done in the sport, I just don't understand why there seems to be a NEED for a rematch.

The main problem with it is it completely devalues the SF HW championship. Werdum was not intrested in fighting for the title, he wanted another one go with Fedor. For me it shows who the real champion is, that fight really should have been for the HW title.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:42 pm

So if Fedor beats Werdum in the rematch will he go back to number 1?

Overeem won't walk if he doesn't get Werdum, why would he? He'll take a fight with Big Foot.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Reem will walk was a wrong thing to say.(plus none of this has even happened)

I mean that I think Overeem will be pissed off at being lied to,and for me it would be crazy for coker to upset his champ like that.If it did push Reem to far,I'm sure the UFC will be standing by with the money that was going to go on Fedor and he would be in a hell of a financial bargaining position because we all know as much as Dana denies it,he would love to keep taking all of Strikeforces top talent away from them and at the end of the day money talks and I'm sure the UFC will be willing to pay it to get him.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Well i think Reem would be best off fighting Big Foot and then the winner of Werdum-Fedor rematch. I think he needs a warm-up before he jumps in with a top fighter. I can see your point, he'll want to WAMMA title but surely he'd prefer to fight Fedor than Werdum.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Bigfoot diserves another fight with Werdum, Aparently Coker has hinted that Werdum and Fedor will rematch, I dont want to see them rematch.

Id rather Fedor fought Bigfoot and Werdum and Overeem fought each other with the winners to fight. Makes more sence. Lashely and Rogers can fight each other as well. That would sort things best I reckon.

and yeah if Fedor beats Werdum he is back to number 1 withoug question,
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:08 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Werdum goes over Fedor, If you beat the guy above you then you get ranked over him to keep the rankings current. Fedor is number 1 of all time, but Werdum is the top Heavyweight in the world.

Any Rankings that have Brock top are wrong and complete UFC nut huggers. A Sub loss to Werdum is more forgiveable than a Sub loss to Mir. And the rest of their records dont even compare Fedor is still above Brock.

Ben hate to disagree with you, but no way can Werdum now be No1? Fedor fucked up, could I suggest that Werdum 'faked' the knock down?? Could be wrong! But Fedor, as others have said, is the sorta guy who just dives in which is why we love his style, and he just got caught cold-it was always gonna happen one day.
    As a rough analogy (I've had a few since mighty England showed their true colours!) Spurs got beat 4-2 at Burnley on the last day of the football season-Spurs qualified for the champions league, and Burnley got relegated!!! Should they swap places now???
    My man fucked up, my country are shit at football, but if you care-we stuck it up the Aussies in the cricket again!! C5 in 5 mins Very Happy
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:17 pm

I've been away on holiday for a week and had a wedding to go to yesterday first thing I got back, so I missed the fights last night, first big event I've missed in a long time, and it would have to be the one Fedor loses.

I'll say this, it's surprising, but was something that was always going to happen at some point. Nobody dances between the rain drops forever without getting wet. I give full credit to Werdum, he showed great skill. In a way, it was not a bad loss to suffer, because it was a result of Fedors un-matched aggressive style, something that makes him the most exciting fighter in the world. I believe Fedor will be back, and I'm more of a fan of his than I've ever been now. Werdum goes to number one in the world, until Lesnar vs Carwin happens.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:25 pm

If Fedor wins then ofc he goes back to one, no matter the outcome of Lesnar vs Carwin.

But really I want Werdum to go after the title, I would say its a lack of ambition from Werdum but then again, what does winning the SF HW title mean nowadays? Beating Fedor really should mean a title win, nevermind a title shot.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:27 pm

yeah as far as losses go, it isnt that bad.

It was a result of his fearless style which has made him so successful, but he simply wasn't prepared for a guy who can slap a sub on that he cant just burst out of.

Anderson would never lose like that. Anderson would win a mind numbingly pathetic decision alien
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Fedor could learn a few dance steps from Anderson for the possible rematch Razz

Or maybe Mir can give him pointers so Fedor could learn from what Mir did to Nog?

Im taking the piss now, but quite frankly im still in shock, i always thought it would be Overeem/Brock/Carwin to beat Fedor using thier size and power.

I never thought he would lose like that, it was rooky mistake.

What must Brock be thinking...... "Thats the guy people said is the best ever, and would fuck me in a fight and i need to work and improve so hard to beat him, I could have done that 2 yrs when i didnt know what guard even meant."
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 pm

In fairness to Fedor, he fought the triangle and armbar for quite a while, Werdum had that triangle tight!

Shame that the result over-shadowed the biggest thing that happened last night, Frank Shamrock announcing his retirement.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Fedor-Werdum - Page 2 Mousasi_fedor1Fedor-Werdum - Page 2 Fedor+Emelianenko+Tito+Ortiz+Ring+NASDAQ+Opening+9ZxPkNhGX6pl
    Fedor-Werdum - Page 2 Fedor-couture-grappling-5Fedor-Werdum - Page 2 Susumu201

Fedor is Crocops Size AT MOST, people have been calling for Crocop to cut weight and the only reason that Fedor hasnt been asked to do the same is that he hadnt lost.

I think if he was in UFC the bigger heavies would chalk up a few losses for him. Its a shame there isnt much Lhw tallent in SF for him to test the waters, though Id love to see him fight King Mo for the Lhw title or fight Hendo if he beats Babalu.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Fedor is a fat(ish) bald guy who can fight, it's why I admire him,like me without the fighting! He has always had a game plan but he got caught out last night.
    Cutting weight would do him no good surely, much as I like the guy alittle weight loss wonn't really help the style of fighter he is
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:24 pm

He's a career heavyweight, he's never cut weight. He shouldn't start now.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

He is in the wrong weight devision in Modern MMA, there isnt another Heavy his size I can think of. If Coleman and Couture can make the cut at their age Fedor could too. I think it would give him a new start to his career if he wanted a long career. Obviously if he is going to retire after his next fight it doesnt matter but I think if UFC Hw's have realised Size matters its only a matter of time before the rest of the world realises the same. Rogers gave him trouble becasue of his size and I think Fedor looks in far worse shape than 5 years ago.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 pm

that's because he's 5 years older than he was back then. Smile

And he doesn't want to still be competing when he's Couture and Coleman so he doesn't care about extending his career. He's financially secure and he has a great future ahead. Couture began cutting weight 6 years into his career. And Coleman just stopped juicing so his body shrank back to normal. It's not as if Coleman has done well since he moved down in weight!

And the fact that you can't think of another HW his size is the reason he's the best.

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:55 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:He is in the wrong weight devision in Modern MMA, there isnt another Heavy his size I can think of. If Coleman and Couture can make the cut at their age Fedor could too. I think it would give him a new start to his career if he wanted a long career. Obviously if he is going to retire after his next fight it doesnt matter but I think if UFC Hw's have realised Size matters its only a matter of time before the rest of the world realises the same. Rogers gave him trouble becasue of his size and I think Fedor looks in far worse shape than 5 years ago.
    You are touching a different subject now Ben, can I venture? Fedor is a heavyweight beacause they were the people he fought, and I agree most are bigger than him, do you think he could cut it against the UFC LHW's? I really don't think so! LHW's move so much quicker.
    Can we just take stock-and remember the Randleman slam??? That is what made me remember what I love about MMA Very Happy
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Sure UFC's top Lhw is Shogun, I say Fedor beats him. Machida, Couture, Evans, Rampage, T.Silva, Lil Nog, Forrest... Infact I think Fedor Storms throught UFC's Lhw devision.

I think he could fight all the above mentioned and not take a loss.

I still think if he fought the top 6 at Hw in the UFC he would take a loss.

Maby it isnt the best career move since he isnt in the UFC but I agree with Anfield it adds to his legacy the fact he was always fighting a weight class above what he should and winning.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:35 pm

My issue with him moving to 205 is that he might struggle with the speed of Machida and Shogun who I think are the only two that would give him a really tough fight.

Regardless of losing to Werdum, I think Fedor beats Carwin, Brock, Dos Santos, Cain, Mir and anyone else the UFC have to offer at HW. I think Cain is the only one that could beat him and i don't think he's ready to do that just yet. If he fights Werdum again he's going to destroy him. Simple as that. He gave Werdum a gift and Werdum accepted it. It won't happen again. Meanie's comments that Werdum beat him "decisively" are comical. Fedor knocked him on his ass, was working GnP, made a mistake and got caught. It was just like Brock vs Mir the first time round. There was nothing "decisive" about that either.

To be honest, i think Fedor will fight Werdum again, destroy him and then he might retire. His comments after the fight seemed to indicate that.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:43 pm

I think the same mate, he wasnt dominated, he dropped Werdum on his arse and was on his way to finishing him, good comparison to Mir/Lesnar. It was a blip, nothing more.

Cutting to 205 is a fantasy anyway, but I do think Shogun or Machida would get clipped by Fedor, his speed is really under rated, look at the flurry that dropped Werdum, those look like quicker hands than ive seen any 205er display. I think he would clean up at 205 in UFC if it happened... but again complete fantasy senario.

In reality im with you, Fight and Beat Werdum in Dominant style, Stop him in the 1st and show the 1st fight was a simple one off. Then Retire having avenged his only losses.

Its a real shame we are seeing the end of Fedor's career. Strangly more so than Liddell or Wanderlei or Crocop even though ive seen less interviews etc.. I feel most sad to see his career winding up. Its the thought that there might never be another figher like him in MMA. I still feel he is going to go down as the Sugar Ray Robinson of our sport regardless of how his final fight goes....

Also in not keen on p4p rankings but GSP is top now id say! cheers

Its just my opinion but Fedor and GSP are the two top guys, both took a loss to an underdog but GSP has fought the highest level of competition of any of the champs. I think GSP is top dog in MMA untill Fedor wins his next fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:47 am