THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+13
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
elmatadorafa
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
Heterocyclic
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
poz
The_Axe_Emperor
17 posters

Fedor-Werdum

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor-Werdum - Page 3 Empty Re: Fedor-Werdum

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:17 pm

"Meanie's comments that Werdum beat him "decisively" are comical. Fedor knocked him on his ass, was working GnP, made a mistake and got caught. It was just like Brock vs Mir the first time round. There was nothing "decisive" about that either. "

de·ci·sive (d-ssv)
    adj.
    1. Having the power to decide; conclusive.
    2. Characterized by decision and firmness; resolute.
    3. Beyond doubt; unmistakable: a decisive defeat.

Unless your going to tell me that, Fedor never tapped out, and was just punching Werdum's thigh Laughing Then it was a descive defeat. By submission. In 1.09 of first round. By double triangle with armbar.

Werdum fell more than anything else, Fedor hit him in the chest, and while Werdum was on his way down he grazed him. Werdum did the same thing to Arlovski. Except Arlovski didnt jump in....

Anyway it doesnt matter if Fedor was butt raping Werdum, he lost by a decisive submission. And not by controversial judge decision. Which was my point.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 am

People forget Overeem and Barnett are still options in Dream for Fedor if he rematched Werdum. Id love to think because he didnt get hurt in this fight Fedor might still fight again this year. NYE at Dream wouldnt be a stretch even if he is getting inactive....

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Fedor-Werdum - Page 3 Empty Werdum interview

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:17 am

“The expectations were high, I was well trained, they’ve changed my fighting day, I didn’t stop training… They scheduled it to April, then to May and I didn’t stop training, so, in fact, it end up being a good thing for me. I was physically great, 100% mentally, happy, gathered with my team, my family, my mom, my brother and my sister, the crew that came from Brazil, so the vibe was 100% positive. The guys from the event went crazy because we made a lot of noise. The Athletic Commission wanted to give us a fine because we were doing a huge mess, we showed our happiness for everybody, a great vibe, and it was the fight I felt best with myself, I was at ease on the ring, on the dressing room, on backstage, it was great.”

“What we wanted was the submission, the rest was all part of the strategy to go for the ground as soon as possible, even if he came forward, I wanted to go for the ground. I couldn’t make my mind if I would go for his arm or his neck, I’d go one way, he defended himself, and then I went the other way, so that double attack was great, because while he defended his neck, I got his arm and tight the triangle… You can watch the video of the bout and you’ll see that I checked the feet, the shin, the arm, I checked it and I was going to stretch his arm right there. I grabbed his arm and he was about to tap out, but I didn’t work out, so I tight the triangle and it worked.”

On the punch that dropped him to the ground, Werdum said:

“It wasn’t a knockdown, it was more like I lost my balance because of the punch, but I’d go for the ground anyway, so I felt on the ground wanting to go there. It wasn’t a knockdown, not at all. I felt the blow, but it wasn’t that strong, I just lost my balance. We don’t think about being hit and going to the ground, but when you get hit by him, even if you are a Muay Thai fighter and have a good standing game strategy, it’s good for you to go to the ground and try to work it on there. The strategy was to calm him down and make some space so that I could work.”
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 am

Fair play, Werdum is a really cool guy. Getting fat and KO'd ended up being the best thing that ever happened to him! Laughing

I wonder if UFC will be Itching to have him back, If they can get Fedor im sure they will want the guy who beat him. He might be able to absorb enought shots from the Wrestlers to tap them? Id be keen to see him fight JDS again too or even Mir.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 am

Feels like when Buster Douglas beat Tyson

Glad it was someone like Werdum and not Overeem or Lesnar though...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 am

Jesus Hunt was actually not in too bad Shape back then!!! I hope he gives MMA another try after a bad run of fights, Apart from Manhoef all the ones that beat him were hight level guys.

Werdum wasnt my Ideal guy to dethrown Fedor but ah well at least it wasnt Lesnar!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:51 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:People forget Overeem and Barnett are still options in Dream for Fedor if he rematched Werdum. Id love to think because he didnt get hurt in this fight Fedor might still fight again this year. NYE at Dream wouldnt be a stretch even if he is getting inactive....

I think we'll see him fight twice more this year. September in Strikeforce and NYE in Dream.

Meanie, it wasn't a decisive win, it was a non-event that ended with Fedor making a mistake and Werdum capitalizing. Not sure what a "double triangle" is, but that wasn't one.
    Dogbomb
    Dogbomb
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Dogbomb Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 pm

I feel like the world has been turned on its head (whilst being triangled by the Sun).

Black is white, hot is cold, and Dana has hair.

Absolutely gutted that the one thing everyone knew about this sport (Fedor was an unbeatable super-robot invented by the Soviets) has been crushed. Well done to Werdum, and on the bright side it was a mistake, not a one sided decision are anything.

It has not been a good monday, depressed about England and Fedor. He just looked so hurt and confused I wanted to give him a hug.

Finney should not have taken that much of a beating. I'm not being extra sympathetic as it was women throwing down in there. That was poor officiating (which leads me back to England)

btw check out my alternative England World Cup post mortem here:
    http://www.theothersidemag.co.uk/worldcup

Thanks!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko will return "with a vengeance"

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stands in support of Fedor Emelianenko beyond the implications of the fighter's shocking 69-second submission loss to Fabricio Werdum at this past Saturday's "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum" event.

"He's how you expect to see a mixed martial artist act and present himself," Coker said. "This is a spiritual journey for him. It's not just about a fight."

And while Emelianenko undoubtedly lost some of his luster with the loss, Coker said the fighter will rebound from the setback.

With one choke, Werdum (14-1-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) single-handedly altered MMA's heavyweight landscape after Emelianenko (32-2 MMA, 1-1 SF) dropped him with a punch in the first frame of the Showtime-televised fight.

The usually spry Russian leapt in to unload heavy punches from overhead – as he had done with so many previous opponents. But this time around, he got caught in Werdum's legs and struggled to free himself from a triangle choke. With no sweat to aid his escape, Emelianenko was forced to concede – after a few pulse-pounding moments – with a gentle tap to Werdum's chest.

It was former PRIDE champion's first loss in almost 10 years of professional competition.

A reported 12,698 fans filled the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., to watch the affair, as reported by MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). The event generated $1,066,739 in box-office revenue.

Coker said he wasn't the only one shocked by the turn of events.

"I think [M-1 Global officials] are still in shock," he said. "When I walked by them, I said, 'Hey, guys. How are you doing?' They didn't look very happy."

Emelianenko was the chief asset of M-1 Global, who took co-promoter status at the event as part of a deal to bring the top-ranked Russian back into the Strikeforce fold after heated contract renegotiations over the winter.

Coker speculated that the upset may have been caused in part by the pressure put on Emelianenko to remain undefeated. The fighter's sterling record had elevated him to the status of a deity among legions of fans who sang his praises at every turn and criticized those who said otherwise.

"It's not just the media (and) the fans, but it's also myself," Coker said. "Let's say he won, but he looked bad in winning. People would say, 'Oh, he's a bum.' The guy is the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time, I think.

"He's got a lot of pressure on him. Even though he says he doesn't have pressure, I believe there has to be an inherent amount of pressure that comes with that title."

Of course, no official title was at stake at this past Saturday's bout. Emelianenko had been expected to face Strikeforce's current heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem, if he were victorious over Werdum. Instead, Werdum will likely meet Overeem in the fall, though Coker said Werdum vs. Emelianenko II is also a possibility.

In spite of his respect for Emelianenko, Coker said he had picked Werdum to win the bout.

"People underestimated him," Coker said. "Here's a guy that is the No. 1 Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter in the world. And you knew if it got to the ground, which at some point it would, Fabricio would have a shot to submit him, which he did.

"I'm still shocked at it."

Following the bout, Emelianenko said it was "God's will" that he lost and welcomed the possibility of a rematch. He said the submission occurred in a moment of hesitation.

"At the very moment when I had to escape, I stopped," he said. "I didn't do that, and that moment was used by Fabricio to finish his lock.

"I try to work out so that [I] come up to the fight in my best shape. The fight showed that maybe I didn't work enough. Maybe I didn't work a lot somewhere, and I didn't manage to make all my technique become automatic. That means I will have to work more."

Coker said his respect for Emelianenko has not dwindled and said the fighter represents the "epitome" of MMA.

"He's just a genuine guy," Coker said. "He's proved himself over and over and over, but this time he got caught. In mixed martial arts, everybody gets caught. The guy is still an amazing fighter, and you'll see him come back.

"He's going to come back with a vengeance."

I'm calling Bullshit from Coker here
    In spite of his respect for Emelianenko, Coker said he had picked Werdum to win the bout.

and since when has werdums record been (14-1-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) scratch
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Yeah the left out a few losses...

Arlovski
    Sergi
    Nog
    JDS

Werdum could avenge 2 of those losses in SF, he beat Bigfoot who beat Arlovski so they are worlds apart but it would be good for Werdum to avenge the losses. I they should try and push Sergi and Arlovski towards a title shot.

Id back him to beat Nog in a rematch, Id almost love him to go back to the UFC after SF because him rematching JDS would be very interesting....

I read over and over that JDS crushed him. People forget that Werdum was in the worst shape of his career when he lost, it would be good to see if JDS could beat him again.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Dont get carried away, Werdum can get crushed by alot alot HW's in UFC and Fedor and Overeem. I would back Bigfoot to win the rematch, and if GG decides to pull his figer out.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 am

I wouldnt back him to beat JDS but Maby Nog, Arlovski and Sergi yes. Arlovski is in the worst form of his career, Sergi isnt that relevant anymore. Nog looked good against Couture but he has slowed a lot from when he fought Werdum 1st time round.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:39 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411338-fedor-emelianenko-the-greed-behind-the-enchanted-fantasy

Fedor Emelianenko: The Greed Behind the Enchanted Fantasy
    by James Ryan

"The truth is often avoided because it is ugly and unpleasant. Never appeal to truth and reality unless you are prepared for the anger that comes from disenchantment. Life is so harsh and distressing that people who can manufacture romance or conjure up fantasy are like oasis in the desert: Everyone flocks to them. There is great power in tapping into the fantasies of the masses."

You may want to sit down for this one…

To say that Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko is the type of fighter who inspires mixed feelings throughout the MMA Community would be a tremendous understatement indeed.

The “haters” insist that Emelianenko is nothing more than an over-hyped Russian fairy tale who avoids the UFC for fear of being exposed as a total fraud.

The “maniacs” (the term “fans” just doesn’t do Emelianenko worshippers justice) believe that he holds God-like powers. Such as the ability to “farmer’s handkerchief” lightning bolts from his nostrils and that he is without question the greatest fighter that ever was or ever will be.

Personally, I’m still trying to sort through all of the nonsense, which can be quite excruciating at times. I have listened to both sides of the fence in an attempt to make up my own mind. Quite frankly, neither side seems capable of making a very compelling argument, in my opinion.

Hmmm... how will this debate ever be settled?

Well, one only needs to look as far as Emelianenko’s peers to find the true answer—but remember, actions speak louder than words.

For starters, consider the great lengths and sacrifices that many of these professional fighters have gone through to fight guys that they perceive to be the very best.

It has bordered on the insane.

So then wouldn’t you think that at least one of them—no wait... scratch that!—ALL of them, would be more than willing to leave the UFC for the opportunity to fight the “best in the world?”

Seems like a no-brainer.

It’s not as though the UFC pays its fighters heaps of money (just ask Shane Carwin). Even if it did, it’s not supposed to be about the money, is it?

Carwin recently said on his blog that he doesn’t fight for the money—he fights because he loves it.

Sounds pretty righteous.

[Yawn]

This coming from a man who is guaranteed to take home no less than $40,000 a week from now just for showing up for work. Not bad for a day’s pay.

If fighting the best of the best is the greater priority, then why don’t Carwin (as an example) and so many others in the UFC make their way over to Strikeforce in order to fight Emelianenko if he is refusing to come to the UFC?

Emelianenko may not be the impact fighter that he once was, but he’s still the best, isn’t he?

Or is he?

Here’s a thought for Mr. Carwin—after he loses to Brock Lesnar at UFC 116 (that’s right, I said it!), perhaps he should consider signing with Strikeforce, particularly if his career is about more than just the money. That way, he could fight the best in the world, right?

In other words—put up or shut up.

Hell, I’ll personally make the call to Scott Coker on his behalf. I am quite confident that Mr. Coker would love to have Carwin as a part of his organization. Coker might even be in a position to pay Carwin close to what the UFC is paying him.

But don’t worry big guy, we get it—that doesn’t matter to you.

And speaking of money...

A recent report came out by M-1 that Emelianenko doesn’t need to fight in the UFC because he’s already the highest paid athlete in MMA thanks to his deal with M-1 and Strikeforce.

Wait...I’m confused...so it IS about the money? Is that to say that if Emelianenko wasn’t already rich beyond his wildest dreams, he would actually consider fighting in the UFC?

Forget about what the fans want, I guess—Emelianenko doesn’t “need” the money. Perhaps that will be his legacy.

Oh wait... that’s right, Emelianenko apparently doesn’t care about his legacy either. What public figure [slash] professional athlete [slash] aspiring politician (liar) would?

None that I can think of Wink

There’s a reason that Emelianenko doesn’t depict himself as a guy who cares too much about his own legacy (or anything else for that matter), and it has nothing to do with being humble.

The perception of “humble” quickly and easily translates into fan respect. Only it’s a phony interpretation.

It would seem that Emelianenko and the UFC have more in common with each other then we’ve all come to realize. Here’s what I think Emelianenko and his traveling circus management team have figured out:

“Disdain things that you cannot have—ignoring them is the best revenge. The more attention you pay an enemy, the stronger you make him. If there is something that you want but cannot have, show contempt for it. The less interest you reveal, the more superior you seem.”

The real proof that Emelianenko isn’t the best probably lies in the simple fact that UFC fighters are indescribably loyal to a company that has been known to fire its employees after only one or two disappointing losses, also known as “the inevitable.”

Who wouldn’t want to stay loyal to a company like that?

Oh what an honour and a privilege to be fired by the all-mighty UFC.

Too bad for Emelianenko —he’ll never find out. He simply doesn’t need the money.

How’s that for appalling motivation?

These are my opinions. If you don’t like them...I have others. Check them out at www.mrjamesryan.com

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Dont get carried away, Werdum can get crushed by alot alot HW's in UFC and Fedor and Overeem. I would back Bigfoot to win the rematch, and if GG decides to pull his figer out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Werdum is a lot better than Bigfoot and Gonzaga. He has stopped big foot twice now, he was in some trouble the first time but won easily. He just got careless against Big foot early but then he showed who the better fighter is. Werdum is miles better than both.

I would actually give Werdum a good chance of beating Overoid, if he can avoid the big strikes early and works on his takedowns, Overoid will tire and Werdum will have no problems submitting Overoid.

The UFC ones are intresting. Id back JDS, Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez and maybe Mir as well to beat him, the others are 50-50. I could see Werdum beating Nog in a rematch but I still think Nog has the better stand-up and Nog has enough defense to avoid being submitted on the ground or even catch a quick submission.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 am

I love Nog but i cannot see him beating Werdum again, he is too slow, i think Werdum is a better striker, better grappler and he is bigger.

I think Werdum would beat Mir, probably, its very hard to predict Mir these days.
    Lesnar survived the Mir guard but the Werdum guard is another species, Lesnar would have to keep it standing, and no-one knows how that would go.

I think Overeem and JDS are perfect to beat him though.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 am

Werdum vs Nog 1 was pretty close, and seeing as Nog hasnt looked decent in four years and Werdum has improved since then Id definitely favour Werdum who is the better grappler of the two. Id fancy him over Mir too and against Lesnar as manschesthair_utd said that's a pretty difficult one for Brock stylistically. Id say Carwin would have the easiest time with Werdum out of the bunch via KO dirty boxing up against the cage wall as I doubt Werdum can get the takedown. Barnett, Overeem, Fedor rematch, Cain and JDS Id pick over Werdum as well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 pm