THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
manschesthair_utd
Paolo_73
Bulldog67
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
9 posters

Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor Empty Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:12 pm

It didn’t take long for Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker to announce Fedor Emelianenko’s next possible opponent following Fedor’s impressive win over Brett Rogers at Saturday night's Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers event. Coker had previously stated that the winners of the night's two heavyweight bouts, Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers and Fabricio Werdum vs. Antonio Silva, could meet in the cage at a future event.
    "We talked about earlier the winners fighting each other,” Coker stated during the post-fight press conference. “That's definitely something we should talk about soon.”

Werdum (13-4-1) defeated fellow Brazilian heavyweight via unanimous decision, demonstrating incredible resilience after weathering an onslaught of blows in the first-round. After the victory, Werdum feels that it’s his turn to face the Russian heavyweight.

“It's my turn to fight Fedor," Werdum proclaimed at the post-fight presser. "I have a lot of respect for Fedor. Fedor is the best in the world.”

Scott Coker agreed with Werdum, noting that while it's early, it made sense to put that fight together.

"All the options are going to be open at this point, but I do think that fight makes a lot of sense," Coker stated. "But we'll have to wait another couple days. Obviously, they'll [M-1 Global officials] have to sit down and talk to Fedor, and we'll take it from there. But we'd definitely like to do it. It'd be a great match-up."

Coker noted that he will need to discuss all available options with M-1 Global, which co-promotes Emelianenko's fights, to put together Fedor’s next bout. He said one possible option is a four-man tournament, which would include Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem, with the two winners then squaring off for the championship.

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/2009/1109/459796/fabricio-werdum/index.shtml
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor Empty Re: Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Its a real shame BigFoot didnt get the nid... Bigfoot vs Fedor would have been a much more interesting fight, Werdum will get floored and Pounded out inside a round, Id bet mu left nut on it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor Empty Re: Werdum is next likely opponent for Fedor

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:43 pm

I already bet my left nut that Fedor would sub Rogers in first round scratch
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:44 pm

foregone conclusion fight, v poor choice for Fedor, he is better off fightin once a year than goin down the bum a month route
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Werdum is hardly bum of the month! Its a great fight style wise for Fedor but Werdum is a more credbile opponent than Rogers

Werdum is a solid top 10er, He has beat Overeem, Bigfoot, Aleks Emelianenko and Gonzaga twice! Thats one impressive record! A lot of those names are 265lbs fighers who were talked up as guys who could beat Brock...

Werdum diserves a shot if Rogers does. Anyone who is top 10 in the world rankings is a good fight IMO
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Werdum is definitely no can, but I'd rather see Overeem get the shot first. If the 4 man tournament materialises though I'll have no real complaints, that sounds alright, especially if it's a one night format. Strikeforce would probably be bold enough to lay that on....

Does Fedor hit noticeably harder than Bigfoot?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Werdum is the best Strikeforce can offer Fedor at the moment.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Fedor hits about as hard as Bigfoot if not a biit harder but he throws and lands a lot more. I think he will level Werdum...

But year Agree he is the best Strikeforce have to offer maby rankings wise and record wise but I think Overeem is a more dangerous fight.

I dont see Strikefroce letting fighers fight twice in one night, Can they do this in the US??

I Wish Aleks could compete in the US, he would make for a great opponent to Overeer, Big Foot or Rogers. I also hope Sefo picks up another win soon, Id like to see him in the mix.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 pm

"bum a month" lol, Werdum is a top class fighter,

he submitted Alistair OVEREEM, Aleksander EMELIANENKO, Tom Erikson, Mike Kyle, Roman Zentsov, he TKOd Gabriel GONZAGA twice, he TKOd Brandon VERA, he also won a deserved decision over Antonio Silva who was a bad style match for him.
    He has only been finished once, when he was in terrible shape, and his only other losses were close(ish) decisions. He has fought at a high class his entire career.

comparing him to Rogers. its a no contest in a "whos more credible" contest, Rogers best opponent was Arlovski, after that it was James Thompson, Werdum has only fought 1 guy worse than Thompson in 18 fights.

He has arguably the best BJJ of any heavyweight guy in the world of grappling.
    People often call Nog the best HW sub artist ever, and i wont disagree but NOG WAS SCARED TO GO TO GROUND WITH WERDUM!

anyway, the only thing you could complain about with regards to this matchup:

1. Fedor matches up well stylistically with Werdum (same could be said about nearly all his opponents, maybe not AA)

2. Gives Dana ammunition, fighting a guy who went 2-2 in the UFC blahblahblah.

3. Barnett is a higher ranked fighter, also outside the UFC, Overeem isnt but would probably pose more of a challenge for Fedor.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Fedor hits about as hard as Bigfoot if not a biit harder but he throws and lands a lot more. I think he will level Werdum...

But year Agree he is the best Strikeforce have to offer maby rankings wise and record wise but I think Overeem is a more dangerous fight.

I dont see Strikefroce letting fighers fight twice in one night, Can they do this in the US??

I Wish Aleks could compete in the US, he would make for a great opponent to Overeer, Big Foot or Rogers. I also hope Sefo picks up another win soon, Id like to see him in the mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce:_Four_Men_Enter,_One_Man_Survives
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Ok, so bum a month might have been harsh, but, he may as well be bum of the month for all the problems he isnt gonna pose for Fedor, and that is comin from someone who thinks Fedor, whilst v good, is overrated when given god monikers. Werdum is far far too easy to hit.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:49 pm

Werdum has better BJJ than Nog i would agree there.

Good point about Dana having ammunition to dismiss Werdum as credible challenger, as if he needed it!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:52 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:"

comparing him to Rogers. its a no contest in a "whos more credible" contest, Rogers best opponent was Arlovski, after that it was James Thompson, Werdum has only fought 1 guy worse than Thompson in 18 fights.

There's someone worse than James Thompson??

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am

Too much Thommo dissing for my liking Smile
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:36 pm

I think Werdum could be pretty interesting for Fedor. He certainly looked in better shape than when he fought Dos Santos, significantly trimmer and lighter on his feet. I've never seen a heavy weight (aside from Fedor) look so quick on the ground. His transitions looked wonderful. As for his ability to take one of Fedor's bombs to the face, I'm not so sure. Watching him fight Silva, it looked like he was done for in the first round.

Have to agree, Albion. I like James Thompson. He always seemed to be a good fella and you could guarantee that his fights would be interesting. I loved his fights against Fujita and Don Frye. The guy throws some massive shots, it's a shame his chin lets him down.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:39 pm

I think werdum is a credible opponent, he offers something different to fedors last 3 opponents, my only reservation being dos santos sparked him out though and I wud expect the same from fedor. Fedor is going to be strong favourite who ever he fights he is that good. Can only see him ever losing against a much heavier opponent who gets through with a big strike and doesnt hold back.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:07 pm

kavik2 I think it will happen one day. Fedor isnt out to retire undefeated and make a legacy or anything.. Its just a job to him he says. I think a Flash Knockdown and unanswered shots will be the way he goes out and Id agree Its probabally going to be against a 265lbs guy.

I hope Hendo gets a shot at him if he is signed to Strikeforce, It was talked about on here before but I think theres enough heavys out there to keep him busy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 pm