The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Post  payneNglory1 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:Mir should get the title shot

and

Spoiler:

Very Happy

should take Mir's place

Did anyone read about his "big announcement" coming up on the 14th April or something? Smile

No,I was just joking,but you just made me search for it.

He's probably signed up to SFL,fight the winner of duffee vs grove,then again,he hasn't fought Sapp yet.

or we could be getting Timmeh vs Fedor 2 Laughing

I don't for a second think his announcement will have anything to do with the UFC,I think Dana's made it pretty clear that Timmeh isn't making a UFC comeback anytime soon.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 am

payneNglory1 wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:Mir should get the title shot

and

Spoiler:

Very Happy

should take Mir's place

Did anyone read about his "big announcement" coming up on the 14th April or something? Smile

No,I was just joking,but you just made me search for it.

He's probably signed up to SFL,fight the winner of duffee vs grove,then again,he hasn't fought Sapp yet.

or we could be getting Timmeh vs Fedor 2 Laughing

I don't for a second think his announcement will have anything to do with the UFC,I think Dana's made it pretty clear that Timmeh isn't making a UFC comeback anytime soon.

I dont know any details about it, my mate was saying to me earlier. Cant see it being anything UFC related either lol, theres no way he deserves it! Plus can he even make 265 anymore? Smile
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am

I feel a little sorry for Overeem he should have took some solid advice from many of the alleged US MMA camps that know how to cycle PED's properly erm...allegedly know how to that is. Very Happy

Feel gutted over this those horses have got a lot of explaining to do about why they have such a high level of testosterone (they naturally carry of course) stupid NSAC why do they have to get some things right occasionly I normally enjoy the bumbling and fumbling incompetent version.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:34 pm

clearly since he has passed other scheduled tests, he knows how to cycle properly.
    this was a surprise test though, haha.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Just waiting to hear from the man himself now.

He knew he was going to have a random test at some point before the fight. He has some explaining to do.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Gutted about this, was really looking forward to it. The only viable plan B (or at least the best) unfortunately seems to be JDS vs Mir, I'm not too fussed who destroys Mir, as long as he get destroyed. I cannot see Mir lasting 2 rounds TBH. On a brighter note though, it paves the way for Werdum vs Cain, which IMO will be a belter of a fight. I Don't think we'll see Dan fighting for HW title, but it would make for an interesting fight (even if it might be a little one sided).
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:32 pm

It's not Overeems fault,his nutritionist persuaded him to change his diet,from Horse meat to the more commonly eaten Beef.

He's fighting in the US now,and the US public can't abide or handle the thought of eating strange foods like the Japanese can,especially when it comes to an American iconic animal like the Horse.

problem is, he went from eating

to this

and look what happened to his dog,when he fed him the bones and scraps

so come on,is it really his fault,or is he the victim here.

bloody farmers and there dodgy meat.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Dana has said that Mir vs Cain is still going ahead... Not that I believe him! I think he will wait to see if overeem can produce a clean b sample. Hendo said on twitter that he would take the fight!! Bring on Hendo vs JDS!!
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:56 pm

sorry ben, im a Hendo fan and i dont like to use the word, (in fact i never thought i'd say is about one of the old PRIDE FC guys)... but he is way way way overrated by many MMA fans, JDS would steamroll him.

Hunt vs JDS is a much better option.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:02 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:sorry ben, im a Hendo fan and i dont like to use the word, (in fact i never thought i'd say is about one of the old PRIDE FC guys)... but he is way way way overrated by many MMA fans, JDS would steamroll him.

Not sure that he's overrated, not that I'd back hm against JDS, but he has a granite chin, good wrestling and one of the best one-shot power in MMA. He's been up against top level guys, and has held titles. Not sure how he could be overrated TBH? It's not as if he hasn't been thee and done it.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:sorry ben, im a Hendo fan and i dont like to use the word, (in fact i never thought i'd say is about one of the old PRIDE FC guys)... but he is way way way overrated by many MMA fans, JDS would steamroll him.

Not sure that he's overrated, not that I'd back hm against JDS, but he has a granite chin, good wrestling and one of the best one-shot power in MMA. He's been up against top level guys, and has held titles. Not sure how he could be overrated TBH? It's not as if he hasn't been thee and done it.

Yes he has a legendary chin, but im confident Dos Santos would knock him out, honestly.
    He was rocked many times before by the likes of Feijao, Wanderlei, Anderson, Fedor, Shogun.

not saying he was fortunate, those recent wins were legit. BUT he would lose more often than not to Feijao and Fedor, in my opinion.
    Maybe "overrated" was the wrong word, but the belief that he has improved significantly as a fighter since PRIDE, or in the last couple of years is unfounded.

you might be able to say "Hendo wouldnt have been able to beat Fedor in the PRIDE days"
    whereas in fact, the same thing could have happened. It would have been just as unlikely then as it would be now.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:29 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:

Yes he has a legendary chin, but im confident Dos Santos would knock him out, honestly.
    He was rocked many times before by the likes of Feijao, Wanderlei, Anderson, Fedor, Shogun.

not saying he was fortunate, those recent wins were legit. BUT he would lose more often than not to Feijao and Fedor, in my opinion.
    Maybe "overrated" was the wrong word, but the belief that he has improved significantly as a fighter since PRIDE, or in the last couple of years is unfounded.

you might be able to say "Hendo wouldnt have been able to beat Fedor in the PRIDE days"
    whereas in fact, the same thing could have happened. It would have been just as unlikely then as it would be now.

Understood. I too, would back JDS against him, but not certain it would be a stoppage. I'm not sure that there's much between Nelson and Hendo, with regards to chin, and I reckon Hendo has the better stand up. I'd definitely see JDS taking a comfortable decision.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Over 5 rds against JDS,I couldn't see Hendo making it to the end.

Great chin,no doubt,but he struggles to do 5 rounds at the best of times and having someone like JDS landing on him for that long,I just couldn't see him,lasting 25 mins.

maybe he wouldn't get Ko'd but I could see the fight being stopped while he was on his stool inbetween the championship rds.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Over 5 rds against JDS,I couldn't see Hendo making it to the end.

Great chin,no doubt,but he struggles to do 5 rounds at the best of times and having someone like JDS landing on him for that long,I just couldn't see him,lasting 25 mins.

maybe he wouldn't get Ko'd but I could see the fight being stopped while he was on his stool inbetween the championship rds.

Normally he has to worry about making weight though. Obviously that would not be the case at HW. Do you not think that this would have an impact?
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:56 pm

He doesn't cut weight to make 205 though(he weighed in at 207 against Fedor).

I'd think if he crashed or just really slowed down in the 3 rd rd against JDS,like I'd expect him to do,he'd not be able to finish the next two rds,IMO.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:He doesn't cut weight to make 205 though(he weighed in at 207 against Fedor).

I'd think if he crashed or just really slowed down in the 3 rd rd against JDS,like I'd expect him to do,he'd not be able to finish the next two rds,IMO.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought that he cut from about 220 to 205. I can understand folk thinking that he wouldn't last the 5 then.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:04 pm

As much as I like Hendo and would love to witness one of,if not the greatest moments in MMA,if he could win the HW belt,JDS will have a 5 inch height advantage,a 6 inch reach advantage,a 40lb weight advantage,aswell as having the better cardio of the two.

It's a complete mismatch.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I think people are overstating Hendo's propensity to gas, based largely on the shogun fight.

Yes, he was running on empty after 3 and a half rounds, but those were not typical of a normal fight. If the Feijao fight had gone into the championship rounds I don't think cardio would've been a major factor.

If JDS had expended as much energy trying to finish an opponent so many times as Hendo did with Shogun, he'd gas just as bad .

At least Hendo was still capable of hurting an opponent in the 3rd, unlike JDS who plodded through the 2nd and 3rd rounds against Nelson and Carwin not looking close to finishing them, having came close and tiring himself in the 1st.

I would pick JDS, but not based on cardio, more reach and strength. And I'd still give Hendo a real chance. One punch is all it would take...
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 pm

It's not just the Shogun fight,Hendo has run out of steam in plenty of fights throughout his career.
    He's done it a good few times at MW,but obviously the cut played a factor,but he has done it fighting in LHW fights as well.

Against Franklin,he slowed down at the end of the first,seemed to catch a second wind and had a better second rd,but again he really slowed in the third.

Against Rampage,Hendo looked good in the first 2 rds,but slowed rapidly,giving Rampage the last 3 rds.

Even in some of his early Pride fights,Hendo's cardio hasn't been great towards the end of fights.

Some of his cardio issues have been down to the fact that some of the fights he's been in have been wars set at a high pace,and would test the cardio of most fighters granted,but still Hendo slowing down towards the end of fights has not been an uncommon issue during his career.

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:43 am

Chesty, if Hendo fought Feijao 10 times, he'd beat him 10 times.

He wouldn't beat JDS though. He's too small to fight someone that size with that much power.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:55 am

Ok, I agree Hendo's cardio isn't great.

Though I do stand by my claim that there is no reason to think JDSs' is any better.

Moot point anyhow, It's JDSs' other advantages which would decide the fight.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:30 pm

I actually am starting to believe that UFC Brass expect AO to be able to fight at 146. Maybe the reason we havent heard anything from AO's camp is because they are carefully crafting their strategy.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:15 pm

What could they do though? Find a doctor who'll say they prescribed him TRT?

The lack of further developments does seem a little strange.

I hope a similar situation doesn't scupper a Palhares title fight (probably the only fighter in MMA more ludicrously ripped than the Reem).

My want for a clean sport is far exceeded by the annoyance of big fights being cancelled due to positive tests, as such whenever a fighter I like gets popped, I'm less annoyed with them for cheating than actually getting caught.

I believe more than half of fighters probably use PEDs to some extent.

They don't have to look super ripped, Barnett got popped 3 times and he is one of the wobbliest fighters I've ever seen.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:37 pm

UFC have said they will not be making a decision on the main event until after Overeem's NSAC hearing on April 24th.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Yeah Chesty your right, Hendo has been rocked a few times, I reckon Junior would put him to sleep but Id still love to see Hendo be given the shot just on the off chance he won. There is a lot of talk of Hunt getting the title fight but it might make more sence to give Werdum a rematch and move Hunt into the fight with Russow.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:17 pm