THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler)

TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler) Empty Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler)

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 am

So, what if the UFC makes their move and manages to get Jake Shields under contract? Will the UFC have the two best welter weights in the world fighting in the same arena? Will they have box off gold (former EliteXC welter weight title holder versus UFC title holder) Or do I take a nap, ignoring what could possibly be the dullest televised wrestling-BJJ fight ever? Both fighters have recently shown their ability to win fights, St Pierre outwrestling Alves, Fitch and Hardy, Shields out wrestling Miller and Henderson. Interestingly enough, of the two St Pierre attempted the most finishes, all but destroying Dan Hardy's arms (I was willing Dan to tap as I didn't want to see any long term damage even though I wanted the Outlaw to win), whilst Shields maintained in control for 20 minutes against Henderson and for 25 minutes against Miller, not risking any chance of defeat but not going for broke in attempting a finish. (I think Mayhem wants the rematch as he enjoyed being ridden by Shields lol) Yet again, Shields was the winner of the fight but he didn't come closest to ending it. Yes, both have shown amazing control within the cage, Hardy couldn't stop GSP's take down and Shields made Henderson look his age, not a former Olympic level wrestler, very impressive but not the most entertaining fight to watch.

I suppose the only person who would definitely be happy about this fight is Dana White as he'll be happy in the knowledge that he won't be giving either fighter the fight or submission of the night bonuses!

Am I just being bitter as I wanted Henderson to win or is this how the rest of the MMA community fields? Do people want to watch Shields finish?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler) Empty Re: Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler)

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:23 am

no time limits, no decisions, just put them in a cage early on in the night until there is a winner, and show the highlights later. Suspect

...cause otherwise it has decision written all over it.

interesting to see who is better, but that'll be clear from round 2 anyway so contesting 5 rounds is pointless.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler) Empty Re: Hypothetical Fight (title due to possible spoiler)

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 am

Shields was trying to win that fight, looking for position and submissions. He didn't just lay in Hendo's gaurd, he kept looing to pass and did easily. Its not Jake's fault he has powder puff punches Laughing but he was looking to finish the fight. Same with GSP and he would have if he trained his BJJ with a better BJJ teacher, he made a mistake.

I would have to go with GSP on this one because I think he has better standup, better conditioning and better takedowns so I think he would win an easy decision.

However its not the first fight I want to see Shields in, Id rather he face Fitch, Thiago or Kos/Daley first to determine the number one contender.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:04 pm

I predict a double headbutt KO.

GSP shooting in for a double leg and Shields going for a singe leg..... has a blood bath written all over it Laughing
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Chelsea why does Sheilds get auto title shot? GSP has cleaned out the division anyway? and Sheilds is a champ in his own right?

Have to say not surprised at you backing the wrestlers lol!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Because the worst thing you can do is throw a guy into the mix so early. Your throwing Shields in there with by far the best WW in the world, chances are he looses and does not get a title shot again, or atleast for a long time. You have to also pay attention to the other guys, Fitch is on a 4 fight win streak, and Kos/ Daley would be on a 3 fight win streak as well.

I do like Shields and I would hate for him to lose everything he has worked so hard for so early.

Its not a 100 per cent deal that Shields even fights at WW. Its quite possible he is fighting at MW, he is probably the second best MW right now in the rankings.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Sheilds really needs to come into the UFC I think and fight the best... although I don't see him ever troubling ether GSP or Anderson. I believe if he came into the UFC he would deserve a shot at GSP straight away though as dull as it would be!
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I'd rather he fought Fitch first as Fitch is definitely the consensus number two welter weight in the UFC (if not the world). He's already fought and beaten Daley and if anything Shield's wrestling has got better since their last fight besides I'm still worried that one day one of Daley's opponent's is going to realise that his ground game is awful and that his stand up is fantastic and spend 15 minutes wrestling him or keeping him on his back. As for Koscheck, he's basically a welter weight Henderson, I don't see him offering anything that Shields hasn't already fought. I don't like Shields but I do respect him for fighting to his strengths and his opponents weakness, after all why should he stand and bang with Henderson when his strikes aren't particularly hard and Henderson's head is like a block of granite? Fitch on the other hand fights a very similar game plan as Shields but I think he hits a little harder but his jiu jitsu isn't on the same level.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:28 pm