THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
pinsman
hendos_right_hook
Albion_Oakley
Additional Generic
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
wilksdaman
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
Shogun No1
Paddyjock
15 posters

SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ

Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ Empty SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ

Post  Paddyjock Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Shogun No1
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ Empty Re: SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ

Post  Shogun No1 Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Shields corner team were a bit OTT
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ Empty Re: SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 pm

CBS themselves have made it clear they are not impressed by what went down at the end of last night’s Strikeforce: Nashville event in Tennessee, with a blog appearing on their website calling the scenes a “show of thuggery”.
    Denny Burkholder, a member of the CBS team that reported on the Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson fight, summed it up when he said:

“When people call MMA fighters a bunch of thugs, usually, they’re wrong and misinformed. But as an MMA fan of about 15 years now, I have to say, what you saw in the cage at the end of this show was thuggery.”

“”Mixed martial arts is supposed to be about respect and honor. I know a lot of the sport’s critics have never bought that for a second, but it’s true. When stuff like this happens, it becomes impossible to defend the sport.”

“And it’s not the sport’s fault, nor is that type of thing customary. This was a few idiots making an extremely poor judgment call, and rest assured they will be punished for it.”

It is to be seen what action the promotion takes against the fighters involved in the brawl. On top of that the promotion may be dealt a blow by CBS themselves who won’t want to get mixed up with a promotion that can’t keep control over their stars. Stay tuned to MMABay for more reaction on this as we get it.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:28 pm

It was hard to see exactly what happened but I'm not sure Mayhem should be getting into any trouble for this. He was obviously allowed into the cage (if not they reallIy need to look at security!). They will have wanted him to call out Shields to hype up the next fight. I think the Ceasar Gracie camp were well out of order and the Diaz brothers were in no small part to blame.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Just watched the Hendo vs Shields and the Mousasi vs Mo fights, Seriously gutted to see Hendo loose after nearly finishing it so quickly...

Anyway on the Brawl it looked to be Nick Diaz and dome other big guy who was holding down his head, I dont think Nate and Melendez were really enolved. Nick Diaz is fighting in Japan next. I think a suspension from SF is fitting because he isnt going to be fighting there for months anyway and it would show that they are punishing figthers.

Im a HUGE Nick Diaz fan, he is just about my favorite fighter to watch so I dont want to see him suspended but Id say a year suspension or something would be fair.... Also with the amount he smokes you'd think he would be a bit calmer! Laughing

Mayhem is a prick for trying to hype a fight with Shields and ruining Shields biggest moment of his career, Mayhem isnt even top 15 currently, there are even a few guys in SF ahead of him in the pecking order for a shot at the title. Mayhem didnt diserve a shot at Shields in the 1st place and sure as hell doesnt diserve a rematch. Im a way he diserved a punch in the mouth for his actions but you can start throwing punches after the fight on TV.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Would be interesting to see what happened in the few seconds when the cameras cut to a zoomed out shot of the cage.
    Either way, that was pretty terrible. I expect Dana has a huge grin across his big bald head today.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Theres a video of Diaz apologising, he said he was just defending his teammates, he said he was held down and hit in the back of the head.... Diaz' speach seems a bit erm stonerish, he rambles etc.. I think he needs to cut down a bit! Laughing

Mayhem is a prick I hope Lawler KO's him.

Its bothering me Jacare isnt getting the figths despite not loosing to Mayhem in their 2 meetings. I hope Jacare gets Hendo insted of Smoking Joe.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:05 pm

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/04/18/further-reaction-from-jake-shields-over-that-ugly-post-fight-brawl-in-nashville-video/

Shields interview, guess he is off to UFC then! I want to see him vs Belfort for the number 1 contender. I dont know if he will be able to make 170lbs again, he put on a lot of muscle recently and is probabally walking about at 210lbs or so. I wouldnt say its improssible but I think we will see him at 185lbs,

Also at the 2:40 mark he says "I dont think Mayhem should have came in my face like that" Laughing Laughing So thats what we didnt see, No wonder they all beat him up!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Here is what we didnt see....

Mayhem was being a prick i must say, he wanted to steal the show. Melendez tried to push himout of the camera shot and away from Shields. And then Mayhem lunged towards Melendez. There was only one thing that was going to happen in that situation.

Luckily Hendo's camp were still in the cage, as the security on show last night were awful....
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:15 pm

I have to say I really don't see it that way!!

Mayhem is there smiling - he knows what he's doing but he wasn't there to start a fight. Melendez starts it and then the Diaz brothers just pile in.

Miller was obviously allowed into the cage by Strikeforce so I don't see what he did wrong. He moved towards Shields but that was to speak into the microphone.

Other than the fact you can argue that Miller should of given Shields his moment (but was obviously allowed to be there by Strikeforce) I can't see what Miller did wrong. The Gracie camp just completely over reacted!!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:36 am

I 100% agree with you paddy,it was an ignorant thing for Mayhem to do but he was just a pawn if you ask me.I'm sure Coker and the strikeforce team told him to go in there in the first place to hype a potential match up and maybe give an incentive for Sheilds to re-sign with them.

The blame lays at the feet of Strikeforce and the Ceaser gracie camp.

The Diaz bros are great to watch but them along with the rest of the Ceaser Gracie camp are a black eye on the sport and have between them just put MMA back 10 years in some peoples eyes and in others they will never see the sport for what it really is now and nothing will change there minds that the typical cage fighting thug image isn't true after that,Idiots that should be made an example of.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 am

Paddyjock wrote:I have to say I really don't see it that way!!

Mayhem is there smiling - he knows what he's doing but he wasn't there to start a fight. Melendez starts it and then the Diaz brothers just pile in.

Miller was obviously allowed into the cage by Strikeforce so I don't see what he did wrong. He moved towards Shields but that was to speak into the microphone.

Other than the fact you can argue that Miller should of given Shields his moment (but was obviously allowed to be there by Strikeforce) I can't see what Miller did wrong. The Gracie camp just completely over reacted!!

Wasn't Mayhem in Hendo's corner?

anyway i just watched this on bravo and i am shocked that i could actually be more pissed off at an mma event then i was last week.

i honestly think we could be saying goodbye to strikeforce guys.

low viewers, boring fights, champions primed to exit, thin, uneven roster.
    CBS PISSED OFF!
    they will lose their cbs deal over this.

fuck america.

give up guys, mma will never make it.

move them all to japan and let mma crawl back underground in the west.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 am

Japanese MMA is such an inferior product with second rate fighters.

They just can't compete with western fighters anymore.

The UFC is still head and shoulders above any MMA company out there and the sooner everyone else realises the huge gap between other Org and them,then we can fuck all these arguments off about who is the best fighters.

Aoki top 1 maybe 2 LW in the world

Laughing

your living in a dream world,he'd struggle to maintain a top 10 position if he fought in the UFC.

Mousasi a contender to machida and Shogun
    Laughing

shit Randy would embarrass him never mind the top UFC LHW's

Who's left Fedor because it looks like sheilds knows where the best compitition is,and it will only be if strikeforce offer him a contract om par or better than Hendo's that will put them right in the shit financially that he won't sign for the UFC.

The future of MMA is in safe hands if left to the UFC,it's all these other company's like strikeforce who like Affliction and many others that failed are spending well above there means and end up putting out an inferior product which does more damage than good to the sport,also the shit that goes of outside the UFC with the likes of the yakuza in Japan and the likes of M1 getting involved put MMA in danger and fucks things up for the fans.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 am

payneNglory1 wrote:Japanese MMA is such an inferior product with second rate fighters.

They just can't compete with western fighters anymore.

The UFC is still head and shoulders above any MMA company out there and the sooner everyone else realises the huge gap between other Org and them,then we can fuck all these arguments off about who is the best fighters.

Aoki top 1 maybe 2 LW in the world

Laughing

your living in a dream world,he'd struggle to maintain a top 10 position if he fought in the UFC.

Mousasi a contender to machida and Shogun
    Laughing

shit Randy would embarrass him never mind the top UFC LHW's

Who's left Fedor because it looks like sheilds knows where the best compitition is,and it will only be if strikeforce offer him a contract om par or better than Hendo's that will put them right in the shit financially that he won't sign for the UFC.

The future of MMA is in safe hands if left to the UFC,it's all these other company's like strikeforce who like Affliction and many others that failed are spending well above there means and end up putting out an inferior product which does more damage than good to the sport,also the shit that goes of outside the UFC with the likes of the yakuza in Japan and the likes of M1 getting involved put MMA in danger and fucks things up for the fans.

chill dana.

i know you live in the USA, but wouldnt you be happier if all the top guys were in Japan?

the product, the rules, the judging, everything is better but the fighters.

fuck sacrificing mma to go "mainstream". the bending over for boxing comissions etc.

when Mousasi got docked a point for this i would have blown my brains out if i had a gun.

SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ 2nlh05

MMA in the US is as boring as MMA can get, its like they are trying to stifle fighting....or turn it into some kind of box-wrestling.

did you see how little tolerance Yamasaki had for the buttscoot, may fighters have won with that tactic, and this isnt "box-wrestling" why can't you do it then?

i dont want to try and make excuses but everything was stacked in melendez' favour.

and i am not saying strikeforce or japan has the best fighters, with that said i can see Melendez beating Edgar.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:38 am

this is for Payne...

SPOILER - POST FIGHT BRAWL WITH MAYHEM MILLER AND NATE DIAZ Danaq
    Additional Generic
    Additional Generic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Additional Generic Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 am

I don't see how anyone can blame Miller for that, unless of course you don't like him in the first place and are looking for something to have a go at him over.

Yes he cam up in Shields' face, but he was smiling and not at all agressive. There was a huge overreaction from Shields' team and any punishments handed out to them will be justified. Nio blame on Miller's part.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:37 pm

If it was not planned for miller to be in the cage, It's partly his fault for instigating the situation and partly SF security's fault for letting him wander in.

If it was planned, Then Its sheild's camps fault. Which surprise surprise includes the Diaz brothers. I wouldnt be surprised if those guys could fit their own bottom lips over their heads.

What we should be getting is EVERYONE involved apologising , including the event organisers such as scott Coker. Instead, what we are getting is Coker blaming Miller, Miller apologising and The Diaz brothers boasting about it by posting pictures on their websites. Nice one lads.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Strikeforce middleweight contender, Jason “Mayhem” Miller has made a formal apology via his personal website for his part in the post-fight brawl at Strikeforce: Nashville, saying he should have never have got into the cage.
    Speaking via MayhemMiller.com, Miller said:

“I would like to formally apologize to CBS, Strikeforce, and all fans of mixed martial arts for my role in the events following the Strikeforce: Nashville event. In retrospect, my timing could not have been worse to ask for my rematch with Jake Shields, and I take full responsibility for entering the cage and setting off a chain of events that cast a dark shadow on the sport.”

“I’ve been a fighter and a fan of MMA for over 12 years, and would never do anything to intentionally tarnish the sport I’ve given my life to. In the excitement of the moment I let my emotions run high and made a bad choice that resulted in a debacle, for that, I sincerely apologize.”
    Shogun No1
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Shogun No1 Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:39 pm

nice goin from Miller, personally i dont think he should be apoligiziong at all but it paints him in a good picture that he has.....
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Anyone taking bets on whether the Diaz brothers will be apologising??? Very Happy
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I wanted Hendo to come in and drop them both Laughing
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm

I've just watched this again after recording it last night did anyone else notice that near the end of the brawl big john mcarthey had Nick Diaz pinned down in side control.
    I would paid cash monies to see him land a few big rights on him!!!!!

I definatly think Millar was in the wrong for going in there but in was the Cesar Gracie "Kids" totally overacted, was there any need for Diaz to boot miller in the ribs while he was being held down?

Can you imagine this happeneing in the UFC???? there wouldn't be as many people allowed in the Octogan for a start!! although it would be interesting to see if Dana and Joe Rogan would've piled in to seperate them!

Good call from Pinsman.....Hendo could've sorted in out with a few right hooks!!!!!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 pm

follow this link and scroll down to the headline that reads "Bully Beatdown".

http://www.graciefighter.com/?page=news
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Laughing That was a laugh!! I kind of get where they are coming from though. Miller was a big man to apologise, gotta like that. I dont mind the guy at all, I hoped for him against Shields and still would, I just think he learned his lesson that people wont tolerate that type of stuff.

Check out what Melendez said about Co-Promotion fights,

“Kawajiri wants to fight me. We had a great fight last time. I think he should come over here (to the U.S.) this time. I’d like to go fight Shinya for the title over there (in Japan).”

“Maybe we could co-promote with (Bellator lightweight champion) Eddie Alvarez. I’d love to fight Eddie Alvarez. Anyone in the top 10 outside of the UFC – I mean, I’d like to fight Frankie Edgar or B.J. Penn, as well. I think it’s great Scott Coker is co-promoting. It’s great for MMA that he’s working with DREAM, and I think it’d be great if all the organizations worked together and have a true No. 1 champion of the world and forget the rankings and just let it be done like that.”

If Crusher beats Aoki for the title this will be huge. I think he could get a fight with Alvarez, maby JZ if he gets back on the map.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 pm

[quote="manschesthair_utd"]

i know you live in the USA, but wouldnt you be happier if all the top guys were in Japan?

the product, the rules, the judging, everything is better but the fighters.

[quote]

No not at all,I think the UFC's way of running things is far better than the way the Japanese have ever done it.

The UFC product and brand is far superior to anything else in MMA,There are good and bad in both sets of rules but I think the three five minute rds are better for the fighters and the legitimacy of the sport,your going to see bad judging decisions where ever you fight,look at Nog vs Ricco for a perfect example,Japanese MMA is clouded in controvasy when it comes to judging.

I see it as the UFC(Dana and the Fertitas) are the ones that are responsable for turning MMA into a legit sport and are responsable for cleaning up most of the things that were wrong with sport.
    Look I know I'm sounding like Danas No 1 fan,but I can't think of many things he has done that have affected us fans in a negative way,he might of upset a few fighters and some people in the biz with alot of the arrogant or disrespectful things he says but alot of that is just Hype,him doing his job and selling the product.
    Look how he has handled the Silva shit,instead of staying in the background and staying quite like all other MMA/Boxing promoters would have,instead he publicly said everything us fans were saying about him,which I thought was great and Silva and us fans needed to hear,instead of taking the cowardly easy approach and defending one of his star fighters.

They alone have done more for us fans then every other Org combined,they always put on the fights that we want to see and they own 85% of the top talent out there,the best always end up fighting the best,99% of the time fighters are evenly matched,they are putting on crazy amounts of show for us to watch including free fight nights that always have some good talent on them and also now are running free future events on VS and they give us a reality show showcasing brand new talent for us to enjoy also.

Some of the shit we saw in the early UFC/Pride days was entertaining but alot of it was really circus shit and not the kind of stuff that could justify it being a fair legit sport and the thing is alot of it is still run like that in Japan.

No Drug testing
    Freakshow fights
    big name fighters being fed mugs just to see highlight reel Ko's and one sided demolition jobs and to pad there records.(this is why I think alot of people think there is more action in Japan or because it's in a ring and rank them so highly,it's just because useually one opponent is far superior to the other)
    kicks or stomps to the head of a downed opponent,there is no way a move that can be seen in many a bar at midnight on a friday night is going to bring any legitimacy to the sport.
    Also the Yakuza connections and match fixing/ref bribe rumours that run astrife in Japan,that shit is nearly impossible to get away with in the US with the far stricted rules and Athlete commissions.

look at the global boom of people that now follow MMA,who got them interested?Pride,Dream,Sengaku,Strikeforce,Bodog Etc or was it the UFC.
    To me if more people enjoy the sport and are getting involved in the sport now more than ever before,it means the sport is going in the right direction and the people responsable for taking it in that direction are the UFC.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:02 pm