THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
Moose Stuff For Money...
sunthunder
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
Shanemc
rudeboyben84
11 posters

Mayhem ducks Diaz at last

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Mayhem ducks Diaz at last Empty Mayhem ducks Diaz at last

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm

<blockquote>Cear gracie said..

Jason "Mayhem" Miller has opted to not take a fight with Nick Diaz in January at a catchweight of 178lbs.Despite having previously fought at the 170lbs weight limit, Millernow says that he is unwilling to meet at 178 and instead wantsStrikeforce's Welterweight Champion to move up to middleweight to fighthim. Miller has stated he would be willing to lose 2 pounds and fightat 183lbs... As of yet Miller has defeated none of the top Strikeforcecontenders but did win a fight on MTV's Bully Beatdown show.Strikeforce will now be searching for a new opponent for Diaz for their January card.

Good to hear Diaz is fighting in Janurary. Im guessing if Daley doesnt want a fight with him they will offer it to Cyborg.

Mayhem is a laugh he is over the weight class when Diaz, the Champ and higher ranked fighter has offered to meet him more than half way.

Any other possible opponents other than Cyborg or Daley? He could always do a Noons rubbermatch straight away? There really isnt a lot but Diaz vs Daley would be outstanding, Diaz would get sparked standing if he thought he would box with Daley.
    </blockquote>
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Mayhem ducks Diaz at last Empty Re: Mayhem ducks Diaz at last

Post  Shanemc Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

id love to see diaz vs daley that would a great fight i cant pick a winner in that one if diaz was smart he would take him down where he has a huge advantage but we no diaz will definetly stand with daley for a good bit of the fight were i think he will be smashed even with his big reach advantage daley will chop him down with low kicks
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:37 pm

I can smell the bullshit off this from here. Cesar Gracie is a dick who promotes a thug mentality. No way Mayhem ducked Diaz.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm waiting until I hear a response from Mayhem before I beleive what Ceaser is saying.

I can see Mayhem refusing to fight at 170,since he's said from the beginning it would be impossible for him to make that weight now but I can't see mayhem chasing him publicly for this long and then not agreeing to fight him at a half way catch weight near 180,after all Diaz fought Shamrock and Smith at 179-180 and mayhem has said publicly before that since Diaz fought them at that weight why can't he fight him at that weight also.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm

if you cant make the weight you can't make it...oh well. pale

but you can always put on more weight Nick!! Wink
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Mayhem couldn't make 178. He was on Rogans podcast last week talking extensively about his weight cutting regime. 185 isn't an easy cut for him, he's on IVs to rehydrate afterwards.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Mayhem is a former WW who isn't a big MW.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:52 pm

No way Mayhem cant make 178, if Shields is the same size and can make 7lbs lighter... all be it looking drained.

If Mayhem cant make a fair catch weight he should be spending his every waking hour calling out a smaller guy. Its like Cain calling out Aldo and telling him he will meet him at 215lbs... Pointless.

The worse fighter without a belt should need to jump though hoops for the higher ranked fighter as when Oscar de la hoya had to let Mayweather pick the weight of the gloves and the size of the ring etc..

Mayhem needs to accept he is a few rungs below Diaz and meet his more than resonable demands or just move on and pick a fight with someone his own weight class
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:57 pm

I would disagree that Mayhem is below Diaz. I think they're very evenly matched. If Mayhem had been more selective in his career in terms of who he fought he would have a more impressive record but he's been unlucky in a number of fights. I'd back him to give Jacare a really good fight and give him a good chance of winning.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I dont think they are un-evenly matched up, I think it would be a close fight, a harder fight than anyone at 170 Daley inclided. Rankings wise is another thing. Mayhem hasnt been top 10 ranked anywhere for a long time...

I think Jacare is a nightmare fight for Mayhem, Jacare is better than Shields on the ground and he beat Mayhem there. Though over 5 rounds with Jacare's cardio problems you could be on to somethime. Mayhem would surely steal one or both or the championship rounds though I think Jacare has his way with Mayhem for the 1st 3 rounds more or less.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Jacare is better at BJJ than Shields but he's not as good a wrestler and it was the wrestling of Shields that won him that fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Thats true Shields wrestling is better but I think Jacare is more powerfull than Shields and a bit bigger, and as you say his BJJ is top notch. Id favor him over Miller on the ground, I favor Miller on the feet though. Jacare has improved his hands big time but Miller still is better for me.

Heres hoping Mayhem fights someone relevant in his own devision. Id back him to beat Robbie Lawler again who is highly ranked and he has a previous win over Tim Kennedy too. A win over Lawler would but him in line of a shot and make him close to top 10 ranked. I think that the right fight to pick
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Good point, Jacare is a HUGE MW. I think the Miller-Diaz fight will happen to be honest. They both want it, they just want it on their terms.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Mayhem ducks Diaz at last MAYHEM

Miller's response...

Maybe Nick isn't that bright, but Cesar Gracie seems to be very intelligent. He wants to protect his fighter. Nick is saying he's not scared, homie. So let's do the fight. It's ridiculous [for them to expect me to cut down to 170]. Especially not in that timeframe. I would have to go do some homosexual triathlons to get to that weight. I'm not Lance Armstrong.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:42 pm

i think this will be a good fight i just hope its not all talk and rumble on and on like the mayweather/pacman fight until nobody cares. if it does happen i personally hope diaz wins.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:54 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:16 am

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Gotta love Miller, such shameless self-promotion! I'm gonna ask one of my dumb questions now-was there bad blood between Miller and Diaz before the scuffle at Stikeforce? I couldn't find anything when I looked earlier.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 am

ppozma wrote:Gotta love Miller, such shameless self-promotion! I'm gonna ask one of my dumb questions now-was there bad blood between Miller and Diaz before the scuffle at Stikeforce? I couldn't find anything when I looked earlier.

ill take first shot at this.

i dont think so i think it has all boiled down from the brawl.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:14 pm

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm

the_king wrote:
    ppozma wrote:Gotta love Miller, such shameless self-promotion! I'm gonna ask one of my dumb questions now-was there bad blood between Miller and Diaz before the scuffle at Stikeforce? I couldn't find anything when I looked earlier.

ill take first shot at this.

i dont think so i think it has all boiled down from the brawl.

Ah, cheers king thought that was so, but as it must be one of the most hyped fights that isn't happening, as yet, just wondered if there was more to it.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 am

The bad blood between Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Team Cesar Gracie has been well documented in the last few weeks, but the feud escalated to new heights.

While the war of words dates back over a year to Miller's 2009 clash with Jake Shields, most of the current back-and-forth has been inspired by a proposed fight between Miller and Shields' teammate, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz.

While appearing on the Sherdog Radio Network, “Mayhem” speculated as to why the fight has yet to take place.

“They’ve started spitting out, ‘Oh, 178.’ Meanwhile back at the ranch, Nick Diaz is saying, ‘I’ll fight middleweight. I’ll fight middleweight.’ OK, well, just not against me, right? That’s how it is,” said Miller. “He’s bologna, this guy. These guys don’t want to fight me. He doesn’t want to fight me, so now he’s like making it, ‘Oh, Mayhem turned down the fight.’ I didn’t turn down a fight. I never got offered a fight.”

Miller continued to insist that he was ready to make the fight a reality, and that Diaz was to blame for the holdup.

“This beef is brand-spanking-new. Let’s do it now. Let’s do it now. Stockton is a bunch of sissies,” he said. “I’m at the table. I’m at the table with a plate of yams, sitting there ready to spank his ass, but he doesn’t want to come to the table. He wants to sit in his bedroom with Cesar Gracie and cuddle.”

On Tuesday, Team Cesar Gracie responded with a statement of its own, appearing on Graciefighter.com. The statement claimed that Miller had done little to warrant a shot at the welterweight champion, pointing out that he had lost to the only Team Gracie fighter he had ever faced in Jake Shields.

This rekindled the Twitter feud that Shields and Miller had participated in last year following their November 2009 Strikeforce bout, which was won by Shields. After some back-and-forth from both sides, Shields tweeted this comment in November of last year:

“I’m on to bigger & better fights like always. I mean ur last real win was when you beat up your girlfriend and got arrested.”

Shields' comment, which reappeared in today's Team Gracie statement, was in reference to Miller's December 2005 arrest in Hawaii, where he was charged with breaking into his girlfriend's residence and physically assaulting her male friend. Miller, who trains with Team Quest, was acquitted of all charges later that month. In response to the comment, Team Quest trainer Ryan Parsons sent Sherdog a statement of his own:

“It's unfortunate that GracieFighter.com and Jake Shields have resorted to touting such an unfounded accusation against Jason Miller. It's one thing to hype a fight, another to falsely accuse someone of assaulting a woman, in our opinion one of the worst types of violence.

“However, coming from a team that seems to not only condone but brag about violence outside of a professional bout, perhaps it shouldn't be very surprising. Given the serious nature and implications of the post fight brawl, I can imagine that these comments would be highly offensive to Strikeforce, Showtime and especially CBS.”

Sherdog contacted Shields for his take on Parson's comment. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt responded with this:

“I’m not really bringing it back up, so I don't have many thoughts on it. I think there's definitely some truth to those allegations, but I’m not trying to re-bring that back up as long as 'Mayhem' isn't talking s--t. So, I don't have too much to say.”

According to Shields, both Miller and their feud is in his rear-view mirror.

“We were talking crap back and forth on Twitter, so I’m not too worried about it. I’m over the whole thing. I’m not too interested in it. I’m past that in my career,” said Shields. “As far as I’m concerned, he's just trying to stir up the fight with Nick, which I have nothing to do with. If they want to fight, that's fine. I'll help train Nick for the fight, but I have no interest in 'Mayhem.'”
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Diaz is now claiming pay is the stumbling block behind the Miller fight...

Nick Diaz has apparently had all he can take when it comes to questions about the bout that never was against Jason "Mayhem" Miller. Nine months after a post-fight melee in Nashville ignited a bitter and ongoing rivalry between the pair, the sides are no closer to getting into a cage and settling it the old-fashioned way.

And during a conference call to hype up his upcoming Jan. 29 title defense against Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, Diaz made his feelings very clear on the matter, saying that given the weight disparity, it's not a fight he'll agree to unless the cash is right.

The conference call followed the pattern of a typical Diaz fight: jab, jab, feel out the spacing, and then, when he was properly warmed up, he let it rip.

"I'd be happy to move up," he said. "I'd just like to be paid for it, you now. I don't like how people try to say that I didn't accept the fight with Miller because I was too small. I never said anything about that. I said, If I'm going to go off-track, it's going to screw with my season, screw with my whole year, screw with my capabilities fighting at 170 pounds. So If I'm going to do that, I would like to get paid in full. I'd like to have a reason for doing that. It's not just doing it at everyone else's convenience. I would like to get paid something extra. Double, triple, something crazy for me to do that, to move up in weight and fight at that weight.

"Moving up or moving down, I'd rather move down before I moved up," he continued. "If you want me to move to a different class, let me move down if you're not going to pay me more money for it. I might as well be moving down. That's probably better. I'll move up, but can I get paid for it? People see something great. Offer me a fight at 185, offer me a big money fight and I'll make it happen. But I'm not just doing it for free when I make the same money at 170 pounds. It's more work. Twice as much work. I never would've signed for that fight with Miller. They were talking about making me move weight. I said, 'Tell his ass to get in f---ing shape and make weight like I do.' It's f---ing hard enough for me to make 170 pounds. He acts like he wouldn't be able to do it. He doesn't want to work hard like me. That's the problem. So he could work his ass off and make 170 pounds, 175 pounds. Or somebody can pay me a couple f---ing million dollars and I'll move up to 185 pounds and I'll fight him."

The Strikeforce welterweight champion made it clear it's an issue of money over bad blood, despite the fact that he recently signed a contract extension with the San Jose, California-based promotion.

"That motherf---r doesn't want to fight me," he said. "Talking about, 'he wants to fight me' every chance he gets. He's got control of the media. I'll fight at any weight. I'll fight at 185 pounds. I'd like to get paid. Pacquiao's making $40 f---ing million, GSP's making a couple millions dollars. And I'm over here driving a Honda because my s---'s breaking down?"

Diaz also took issue with world fighter rankings, telling the story of when he cornered a fighter who had only fought twice before as he took on the UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck.

The fighter, likely former Team Cesar Gracie member Chris Sanford, who was actually 4-0 at the time, was knocked out in the first round by Koscheck (who was 2-0 and making his UFC debut after appearing on the Ultimate Fighter). Diaz, though, sees that as an example of selective matchmaking that helped several UFC stars build up strong records, and helps hoodwink the media and public into believing they are better than they actually are.

"I never had fights like that," he said. "So when you bring up guys like that to me and tell me they're the best fighters in the world, it's a f---ing joke. It's a joke to me. He may be a good fighter now, but these guys that are ranked up there, I was here first. That's fine, but lets fight then, you know? Make it happen."

Diaz, who said his dream fights would be against Anderson Silva or Georges St. Pierre, was asked why he continues to call out fighters that it's unlikely he'll ever face while he's under contract to a rival promotion.

"Why wouldn't I get this fight?" he said. "Why are you saying it's unavailable? Because we fight for different companies? I think there's enough money involved that they can organize that sort of thing."

In the meantime, he'll have to settle for Santos, an 18-13 brawler who won his divisional debut by TKO over Marius Zaromskis in December.

"I think this is the best opponent for right now that I'd agree to," he said. "I want to fight GSP. But I think my partner [teammate Jake Shields] will take him out regardless."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/20/nick-diaz-rips-mayhem-miller-rumors-welterweight-rankings/
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:39 am

"I never said anything about that. I said, If I'm going to go off-track, it's going to screw with my season, screw with my whole year, screw with my capabilities fighting at 170 pounds."

No, just dont cut weight for this fight, then do as normal for subsequent fights
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Then he just comes in bulky, rather than a solid 185 which is what he wants to be.

To go up in weight properly with a physique like Diaz's would be a bit of a pain because you're looking at a long way back to 170.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:31 pm