THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
Shanemc
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Raiden
sunthunder
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
12 posters

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it?

Poll

Did you enjoy Shields/Mayhem

[ 6 ]
    Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? I_vote_lcap55%Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? I_vote_rcap [55%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? I_vote_lcap45%Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? I_vote_rcap [45%] 

Total Votes: 11
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? Empty Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it?

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 pm

i did.

and i think it would have been boring with elbows, anyone agree/disagree? with elbows Shields would have just sat in guard dropping elbows, but since this was illegal, some great grappling was on display.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? Empty Re: Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it?

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 pm

My friends hated it so I spent a lot of the fight trying to justify how ground work can be entertaining. There were parts of the fight that were dull as Shields controlled Miller's position, however there was also some nice counters and a near submission that was saved by the buzzer.

I tought it was ok, however I wouldn't be in a rush to sit through all five rounds again.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? Empty Re: Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it?

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:My friends hated it so I spent a lot of the fight trying to justify how ground work can be entertaining. There were parts of the fight that were dull as Shields controlled Miller's position, however there was also some nice counters and a near submission that was saved by the buzzer.

I tought it was ok, however I wouldn't be in a rush to sit through all five rounds again.

Would you say Jake Shields is a boring fighter?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 pm

I thought it was a good fight,don't get me wrong,you can't beat a fight where two guys are knocking shit out of each other,and there is nothing worse than when one guy just pins his opponent down for the whole fight without really causing any damage but The Mayhem/shields fight was nothing like that.
    The fight was fought at a good pace through out,Shields never once stopped looking for a finish and Miller gave us a clinic on submission defence and how to stay calm in those positions and even though he was always under pressure he was still looking to get his own offence going.
    Shields gave a good solid performance and tried to win every second of every round by controlling him and looking for an oppotunity to finish,Miller showed us some fantastic composure and some great skills and escapes,apart from a bit of striking the fight had everything else.
    90% of fighters,Shields would of finished with some of those attempts and we would of been all singing his praises,credit should also go to Miller for being so skilled in submission defence that he was able to give us a 5 round fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:16 pm

Yes Mate It bored me and Jake Shields bores me. I dont like Wrestlers in General. Having No Standup or Striking he just doesnt have that explosive he could finish a fight at any time factor. In that fight there were good moments, when he tried to get him in the Twister for example, that was cool.

Thinks that most entertain me are Striking, Judo Throws, Wrestling Slams and Submissions. Wrestling is the worst part of MMA. Pushing Fighers into the cage is a boring thing to do and holding top position without trying to advance your position to look for a sub or rain down punishment is boring.

Why are you winning a fight if your sitting on top of him and land 0 punches. If a guy eats 2 shots, Scores a TD, not a slam or anything impactfull and does nothing with it should he win the round even if you land 0 punches? You cant finish a guy by sitting on top of him but you could have KO'd him with punches.

I know there wasnt a round like that but I think Judges feel that holding top position is a very dominant thing to do and give too much credit for doing so. I say if you dont do anything with it you should also credit the guy on bottom for defence. If they scored it less favorabally it would force the top fighter to try and GnP or Sub him. Shields stalled for a lot of that fight, Especially when Mayhem was against the cage sitting up. Its a 5 min round, its not that long and when you spend 2-3 mins stalling it makes a dull fight, I didnt like watching a guy hugging another guy curled up on the floor.... thats what it was someone being held down by a half naked man and not much more!!

Yes there was some nice groundwork because he has good BJJ and Miller is always fun to watch but Shields isnt. Spending so long lieing on top stalling was Boring, Maby Elbows would have livened it up. Its not that I dont like my Groundwork, Lesnars Brutal GnP to Mir was fun to watch, Flashy subs are my favorite thing to see in MMA...

I just dont appreciate Shields and I find it strange he fought Mayhem insted of Jacare who beat Mayhem for the Title.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:31 pm

I thought it was a reasonably good fight, it was a positional grappling clinic and there were a lot of awesome transitions. I would love to see Henderson fight Shields for that belt though.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 am

I'm not a fan of Shields. Scott Coker was talking about putting him in against Zaromskis or Hayato Sakurai at 170 next in the press conference. Hopefully Zaromskis KO's him.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? Empty Mayhem vs Shields

Post  Raiden Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 am

I enjoyed it

Grappling is a huge part of mma, maybe the rules do need to be looked at but i think its impressive to be able to control someone the way shields did

I watched it with 2 of my mates (one of them a big fan and one a very casual observer)

my mate who isn't as interested in mma was actually infuriated by the display he actually said (about miller) "i hope he gets up and kicks the fuck out of him"

well if miller isn't good enough (or rather if shields wasnt so good) to get out of it, then he's gona do sweet fuck all

thats what it was someone being held down by a half naked man and not much more!!

now i'm not for a second suggesting that this is your opinion ben but i think there may be a slight homophobic reason behind my friends absolute hatred of grappling. I take his opinion with a pinch of salt as he doesnt have any real knowledge or understanding of the sport. It's laughable if he does and to a greater degree stupid
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 pm

As a grappling contest it was pretty good Mayhem defence and agility from the bottom was very impressive but i have to say Jake Shields it essentially the new Matt Hughes minus and powerful ground strikes he has shit stand up and fights that would embarrass Yushin Okami or Antonio McKee
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 pm

wasnt a bad fight had some good moments some boring ones to but still thought it was a nice fight
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:14 pm

"now i'm not for a second suggesting that this is your opinion ben but i think there may be a slight homophobic reason behind my friends absolute hatred of grappling. I take his opinion with a pinch of salt as he doesnt have any real knowledge or understanding of the sport. It's laughable if he does and to a greater degree stupid"

Eh maby, Im just being a bit childish, But Wrestlers pinning a guy down and stalling for a couple of mins at at time is surely the worst part of MMA?
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? Empty Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it?

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Have to agree with Ben, watching one guy pin another guy for 15 minutes is dreadfully dull especially when it hasn't brought either fighter closer to winning the fight. A nice take down followed by a submission attempt or a hail of blows always looks awesome. For example, when Fedor is working within someone's guard he is still throwing out those crazy power punches as well as staying in a dominant position. He is working. The same can be said of Satoru Kitaoka, who during his Sengoku tournament run bulldozed his opponents to the mat and quickly submitted them. I didn't turn on the television to watch a wrestling bout, I turned on the television to watch MMA. The key word is "mixed".

Shields on the other hand seemed content to sit on top of Mayhem and little else. Yes, Miller has proven to be tricky to submit but when that doesn't work you have to be able to bring something else to bear. He should have started throwing punches at Miller because even if they aren't doing a lot of damage they'll eventually cause the referee to call a stop to the bout.

As for Shields at welter weight, I so hope that Zaromskis knocks him out (he really is that quick) and at middle I hope Jacare shows him what real high level bjj is.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:14 pm

I expected a more explosive fight considering Mayhem's style. Shields neutralised him, and I have to admit I found it crushingly dull purely because when I watched it on Bravo I already knew it was going 25mins and so I just wanted to get it out of the way and onto the Fedor fight!

I also felt slightly aggrieved that the only successful sub attempt all night was from Mayhem, and it was only the bell that saved Shields. I think there should be a points ruling if that happens, mandatory 10-8 against the man caught in the sub perhaps?
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:34 pm

As wrestling matches go it wasn't a bad one, but if you wanna have a wrestling match go do it at a wrestling comp?? It ruining MMA it's not exciting, when the guys aren't trying to finish the fight... the whole idea of fighting is to hur tthe other guy not straddle him and get him aroused scratch Bit of GnP or submission attemps would have made all the difference...

Mayhem trying to slam him was good though...
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mayhem vs Shields, did you enjoy it? Empty Post fight twitter war more entertaining then fight?

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 am

thought id post this here; post-fight twitter war more entertaining than fight?

Laughing

Mayhem: Jake, the worst damage you did was give me staph, zit covered leg humper.

Shields: Lol @mayhemmiller. You seem upset?

Mayhem: @jakeshieldsajj hugged your way to all those? Let's do it again, I'll hold on after the bell this time.

Shields: @mayhemmiller I'm on to bigger & better fights like always. I mean ur last real win was when you beat up your girlfriend and got arrested

Mayhem: @jakeshieldsajj you're just scared of a rematch, just say it. Or your daddy will say it. Bitch.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 am

Those guys are friends too! Haha!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:04 am

mayhem got a staph infection in his neck! Yuck!

http://twitpic.com/pswio

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:15 pm