THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !! Empty Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !!

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:18 pm

After speaking with sources inside of Golden Glory, there is an update on the story of Andrei Arlovski's camp claiming the fight they were offered was against Alistair Overeem. With all of the rumors about Overeem that float around, the Golden Glory camp assures Head Kick Legend that the fight between Alistair Overeem and Kazuyuki Fujita was being negotiated weeks before the K-1 World Grand Prix on December 5th. Bas Boon himself chose Kazuyuki Fujita as the opponent for Overeem, citing Alistair's rather intense schedule recently, including the World Grand Prix where he fought Ewerton Teixeira, knocking him out in just over a minute, then having an intense showdown with Badr Hari, where Hari ultimately scored the TKO victory. With fighting 5 fights within two months, Boon thought an opponent like Fujita would be a better fit for the run-down Overeem.

Since Fujita was the hand-selected opponent, the idea is that K-1 could have contacted other possible opponents in case Fujita did not accept the fight, but Golden Glory and Alistair Overeem did not have any negotiations with Andrei Arlovski for a fight.

As for the future for the Demolition Man, Boon states that there is one more fight on his contract with K-1, which will take place in March or April. Alistair will take off the few months after the Dynamite!! show (which is well deserved) before his K-1 bout in the Spring. What this means to fans in the US? Fedor Emelianenko has a bout scheduled in April for Strikeforce, and the heavy rumor has been Alistair Overeem will be the man involved; Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010. So the hopes of Alistair Overeem facing Fedor Emelianenko on CBS are once again put on hold. We have been assured that Alistair has not chosen any of his opponents, Golden Glory management has been "carefully choosing" his opponents, Alistair will fight anybody, anywhere, anytime.

Bas Boon has assured Head Kick Legend that Alistair Overeem will fight in Strikeforce in the United States in 2010. Quote; "Prepare America, Alistair is coming, 2010 will be the year of the Dutch cyclone, demolition time in the US!"

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2009/12/18/1207123/alistair-overeem-update-no

Sorry if this is old news to you guys, but i read this last week and i think today after him showing up at all time high 260 pounds and Ko'ing a well past his best Fujita. I want your guys opinion of the news that he has already ruled out fighting in Strikeforce any time soon.

Personally i find it astonishing he is still HW champ.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !! Empty Re: Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !!

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:29 pm

Strip that steroid ridden halfwit of his belt now!! Thats just a big Fuck you to Strikeforce... I heard him say he was in no rush to fight in SF because he makes so much more in K-1 but Fuck me take the mans belt of him... he beat Buentello for it after all so its not the most Legit title anyway!!!
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !! Empty Re: Alistair Overeem will not compete in Strikeforce until later 2010, One more K-1 fight !!

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Strip him and give it to the winner of Fedor/Werdum. At least they're happy to fight, and Fedor wouldn't duck anybody.

I honestly think Overeem has no faith in his own skills, hence packing himself full of steroids making him move like a hippo. Probably also why he's afraid of Fedor.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I typed in Werdum, the spellcheck corrected it to whoredom. I wondor if Fabricio has that problem...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:04 pm

This behaviour from Overoid is pretty shocking to be fair. How many times has he actually fought in SF? They really shouldn't take this shit, they should strip him, Crocker needs to do it. People give Dana shit and rightfully so but atleast he never takes shit from any fighters.

The winner of Werdum vs Fedor should be the SF champion, better for the companies image and it gives SF a champion who I think would beat the UFC's (Fedor).

honestly think Overeem has no faith in his own skills, hence packing himself full of steroids making him move like a hippo. Probably also why he's afraid of Fedor

Well he should as well. Overoid is a good fighter that has been mistaken for a top class fighter because of his padded record. he is an Overated fighter who has lost to the better opponents on his record. The only good wins are Belfort twice (he is a MW and when he fought Overoid he was going through the worst patch of his career) Sergi (He got sparked in a rematch) and Igor (he was coming towards the end of his career). His last win over above average opposition was Buentello who had him in serious trouble and he isn't that good anyway. Past it as well.

He has lost to Sergei, Shogun (twice), Arona, Lil Nog (twice), Werdum and Liddell and a few cans have beaten him as well. His last 6 wins have been Fujita (past it and never a top fighter) , James "Iron Jaw" Thompson (can), Tony Sylvester (lost to anyone decent on his record. Best win is Sherman Prendegast), Gary Goodridge ( Laughing ) and Mark Hunt.

It makes me laugh when people say Overoid can beat Werdum, Rogers and the UFC HWs. Any fighter slightly above good would destroy him, Overoid has a weakish chin and has a very small tolerance for pain.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Looking at Overeems record as a Lhw isnt fair, Its safe to say he is a different fighter now... Look at him!! He isnt as bad as that record suggests he was beatiung Chuck in his Prime before the KO etc..

I think Overeem would beat Werdum, we havnt seen much of Overeems sprawl recently but judging by how Big Foot did I think Overeem would Finish him in a similar situation. The Buentello fight made me really doubt his standup, as you say Buentello had him in Trouble but Overeem is a really improved fighter since then.... And a lot of it is just due to his Size now but he is still good enough to hang with most K-1 fighters on the feet so Id say he is a lot better than the Overeem who had to take Buentello down.

I dont like Overeem, I think he has been very disrespectfull to SF. I think he has taken Steroids to improve himself as a fighter and I think that he has been building up a padded record to get the Fedor fight... not very likeable qualitites but I still do rate him and I think he would beat Werdum, Probabally Rogers too.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Oh Overeem said he expects the Fedor fight to be May/June... I think he will be stripper before then. I dont think a fight he won against Buentello years ago is that relevant, I think Coker needs to have the balls to Strip him... Its a much better thing for SF
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Im not sure, Werdum is a very unpredicatble fighter and if he came out focused he would have little problems with Overoid. Werdum is one of the best BJJ practioners today, if it went to the ground Overoid is in trouble.

My point about Overoid fighting LHWs isn't to say he is bad now but that before he was nothing more than a good fighter.

I would pick Overoid to beat Rogers but thats because I don't rate Rogers at all. He has some nice KO power and thats it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:35 am