THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
Anfields5thKing
Ginginho
Ronwah
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
Moose Stuff For Money...
redmeanie77
Albion_Oakley
rudeboyben84
13 posters

Hall of Fame inductions 2010

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Hall of Fame inductions 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: Hall of Fame inductions 2010

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:19 pm

But the likes of Liddell and Sakuraba are very close to the end. Liddell's isn't even active anymore, he's fighting like once a year nowadays, and it's unlikely we will see him again. I think at the very most he has one more fight and that's it TBH. Sakuraba really can't have that much left in him, at the very most he has 3 fights left.

Even the likes of Cro Cop and Randy. They only have big money fights left, they won't compete for a title again. Cro Cop is now more interested in fishing, and Randy now really is more interested in Hollywood.

On His Next Film Project: "I'm getting ready to do a movie in Grand Rapids, Mich., here the first couple weeks of December with Bruce Willis," Couture said. "'Setup.' It just happened a couple of days ago. It's a fun character. Small part, but a fun character in kind of a gangster movie."

On The Expendables 2: "It's definitely happening," Couture said. "The target for now is March to start shooting the sequel. I think the trick is going to be getting everybody free to come back and do it, but I think the first one was so successful, everybody is going to be excited to come back for the second."

On His Fighting Future: "(My fighting career is on hold) for now," Couture said. "You never know what [UFC officials] are going to throw at me. We'll see, and if it's interesting, I might not be able to walk away from it."

I can understand your point about Fedor, Big Nog and to a certain extent Wandy. I don't agree with it but I can see your point. I don't think its the same case with the previously mentioned fighters.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Just a quick update on the votes:

Minowa: Yes 3 No 5

Fedor: Yes 6 No 2

Wandy: Yes 6 No 2

Shamrock: Yes 8 No 0

Royce: Yes 8 No 0

Severn: Yes 8 No 0

Funaki: Yes 7 No 1

Bas: Yes 8 No 0

Big Nog: Yes 6 No 2

Shogun: Yes 3 No 5

Randy: Yes 6 No 2

Hughes: Yes 6 No 2

Liddell: Yes 5 No 3

Cro Cop: Yes 5 No 3

Sakuraba: Yes 7 No 1

Frank Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn and Bas are all two votes away from being our first entries to the HOF.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Liddell and Saku are still signed to contracts with major organizations. I won't vote in anyone who is still competing at a high level. When they announce their retirement, then I will happily vote for them but in NO other sport do people still competing at the highest level get entered into Hall of Fames. If MMA wants to be seen as a legitimate mainstream sport then it must follow certain guidelines.

Same goes for Couture, CroCop, Nog, Wandi, Hughes, Fedor etc.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I think the difference between MMA and other sports though is that other sports have been going on for a lot longer than MMA. MMA has only been around for 20 years and so. The likes of Hughes, Fedor ect. Have been around for a long, long time and helped build the sport. And tbh aside from Fedor, the rest aren't really fighting at the highest level more or have just recently fought there last fight at a high level. Do you expect Cro Cop or Hughes to be title contenders any time soon? I don't think they will so for me there not at the highest level anymore.

Liddell still has a contract but Dana said he won't give him another fight. Ye I know Dana's word is worthless most of the time, but I really think that at the very most Liddell has one more fight. Probably against Tito and then that's it. Hughes has already seriously considered retirement ect.

The only fighter who is really still at the top is Fedor. Now obviously in no other sport would some that young and still active would be voted in the HOF, but I'm not sure you can compare it now. If Fedor is the best ever in MMA, which many people including yourself beleive is true then I think it's important to have him in the HOF. In other sports, the greatest player ever is normally included.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:39 pm

For me it doesn't matter how long the sport has been around. This idea that we need to rush everyone into a Hall of Fame just because we don't have many other options etc. etc. is obscene. There are many others who deserves Hall Of Fame more than these fighters who are still competing.

Promoters, trainers, etc. etc. The people that really built the sport. The Vale Tudo legends who paved the way for example.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:55 pm

I agree about promoters, trainers ect. I plan to make some of them my nominations. I'm holding back on mine right now because I don't want it to start getting too crowded, it already is IMO.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:15 pm

i mentioned including the promoters and the like in the older hof thread.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Minowa: no

Fedor: Yes

Wandy: Yes

F Shamrock: Yes

Royce: Yes

Severn: Yes

Funaki: Yes

Bas: Yes

Big Nog: No

Shogun: No

Randy: Yes

Hughes: Yes

Liddell: Yes

Cro Cop: No

Sakuraba: Yes
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:09 pm

so is this the initial list? if so my votes are.

Minowa: no

Fedor: Yes

Wandy: Yes

F Shamrock: Yes

Royce: Yes

Severn: Yes

Funaki: Yes

Bas: Yes

Big Nog: yes

Shogun: No

Randy: Yes

Hughes: Yes

Liddell: Yes

Cro Cop: No

Sakuraba: Yes
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Just to confirm, Frank Shamrock, Dan Severn, Bas Rutten and Royce Gracie have all been voted into the HOF with a so far perfect 10 votes! cheers king king

Sakuraba and Funaki are both one vote away from joining.

Fedor, Wandy, Hughes and Couture are all 2 votes away from joining now.

Shogun and Cro Cop are in danger of not making it now, both need all 5 remaining votes to get in as they both have 5 yes and 5 no.

Minowa can no longer make it with a vote of so far 3 yes and 7 no.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Minowa can no longer make it with a vote of so far 3 yes and 7 no.

Hrmmph
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:56 pm

pale

can i ask payne, why you voted no to big nog?

can't believe crocop might not make it back in!? :O best striker in mma ever Sad would be real shame.

and to anfield, guys like sakuraba and crocop might still be in a major promotion, but its fair to say you can have a retrospective look on their biggest contributions to mma.

unlike shogun, gsp etc.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:16 pm

I'm really surprised Cro Cop hasn't gotten more votes, I though he'd be a certainty. But I do suspect he will be in, in due time. Nominate him again when he retires and then he should be in.

And also, fair play to Sakuraba he did make a major contribution to MMA and thats why he is so close. Did Cro Cop really make that big a contribution? I don't think so, and not enough to merit inclusion based on that alone. I voted for Cro Cop, but based on his career rather than his contribution.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:19 pm

I was abit undecided on whether to put Nog in now or later,but I decided to hold off on him for a bit,I have a place on lock for him to go in eventually,but just not yet,call me daft but I don't think he's as shot as alot of you do and I think he can still get some more good wins under his belt and maybe still have a title run left in him.

I could be wrong and he gets battered in his next fights,but i just want to hold off on putting him in yet.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:21 pm

I nominated Crocop, however not because of his GP win, or that i thought he was the 3rd best HW of all time. Or his win over Barnett, Coleman, Igor, Wanderlei.

It was mainly because, he contributed to striking in this sport, the same as you can say Coleman did to Wrestling and GnP. He took Striking to a whole new level and made fighters really up that part of their game.

He helped the sport evolve in that aspect, and he brought alot of fame and entertainment in the glory days of pride.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:21 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:

and to anfield, guys like sakuraba and crocop might still be in a major promotion, but its fair to say you can have a retrospective look on their biggest contributions to mma.

I completely agree.

And when Saku, CroCop and all the rest are RETIRED then I will happily vote them into any Hall of Fame.

But

ACTIVE FIGHTERS SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HALL OF FAME.

How hard is that to understand?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Ben
    Chesty
    Anfield
    King
    Brown Pride
    Axe Exclamation
    Chelsea
    Efils_god Exclamation
    ShaneMc Exclamation
    Ging
    Pete Exclamation
    Payne
    Pinsman Exclamation
    Moose
    Albion

BTW for those who haven't seen it, that's the panel so if your on that vote. Everyone who hasn't voted has Exclamation next to them.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Its saturday night and there's no MMA tonight. So we all know what Axe is searching up on his laptop now....

Hall of Fame inductions 2010 - Page 2 Fat-women-bbw-singles

Neutral
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Laughing
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:00 am

i didnt vote cro cop in becasue whilst he won the pride gp and has a whole host of highlight reel ko's i just dont think he is ready to be in there yet. like anfield has said he is still competing in the ufc.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:02 am

Igor can make the same claim to get in the Hall of fame if you are basing Cro-cops striking as a contribution to MMA,Igor was the original feared striker in MMA,he had 41 wins under his belt,30 odd of them all stopping his opponents by strikes,(thats more than Cro-cops total combined wins)before Cro-cop had his first fight,he also had a better kickboxing record and has won more titles in MMA than Cro-cop.
    And if any HW can use the "he was small for his weight",well that would be Igor.

The one thing I couldn't deny Cro-cop getting into a Hall of Fame,is if we are putting a huge emphasis on FAME,then yes there are not many fighters that come close to the fame he carries,but if that's how I should vote,then i wouldn't be able to say no to Tito getting in either,when I don't think he should.

anyway speaking of Igor,I watched this high light reel on him earlier

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_New_Igor_Vovchanchyn_Highlight_2_0?vid=10014513&tid=101
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:10 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:

I completely agree.

And when Saku, CroCop and all the rest are RETIRED then I will happily vote them into any Hall of Fame.

But

its easy to understand, just dumb.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:17 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:

I completely agree.

But

its easy to understand, just dumb.

anfield whould you have randy in the hall of fame?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:50 am

Right now, no. The day he retires, yes.

Chesty, that's how sporting hall of fames work. Except for MMA Hall of Fames which are a joke.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Right now, no. The day he retires, yes.

Chesty, that's how sporting hall of fames work. Except for MMA Hall of Fames which are a joke.

anfield this might sound like im nit picking but im not but randy did retire and then came back. so should he or any fighter that retires and is in the hall of fame have it taken away?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:11 am