THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
payneNglory1
ChelseaQuinsfan
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Paddyjock
Toquinho
hendos_right_hook
KalDog
redmeanie77
12 posters

UFC Verses results (spoiler) !!!!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC Verses results (spoiler) !!!! Empty UFC Verses results (spoiler) !!!!

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Preliminary Card
    Light Heavyweight bout: Eric Schafer vs. Jason Brilz
    Brilz defeated Schafer via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Julio Paulino
    Pierce defeated Paulino via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Chase Gormley
    Schaub defeated Gormley via TKO (punches) at 0:47 of round 1.

Welterweight bout: John Howard vs. Daniel Roberts
    Howard defeated Roberts via KO (punch) at 2:01 of round 1.

Lightweight bout Duane Ludwig vs. Darren Elkins
    Elkins defeated Ludwig via TKO (ankle injury) at 0:44 of round 1.

Light Heavyweight bout: Eliot Marshall vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
    Matyushenko defeated Marshall via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27).

Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty
    Guida defeated Gugerty via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:40 of round 2.

Main Card
    Middleweight bout: Alessio Sakara vs. James Irvin
    Sakara defeated Irvin via TKO (punch) at 3:01 of round 1.

Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello
    Kongo defeated Buentello via submission (strikes) at 1:16 of round 3.

Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
    dos Santos defeated Gonzaga via KO (punches) at 3:53 of round 1.

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Jon Jones
    Jones defeated Vera via TKO (elbow) at 3:19 of round 1.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC Verses results (spoiler) !!!! Empty Re: UFC Verses results (spoiler) !!!!

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Vera-Jones: What a performance by Bones here, this was supposed to be the biggest test thus far, and he dominated Vera easily. (Remember Randy struggled to take Vera down). And while he was on top, he got kicked by an illegal upkick twice, then got pissed and cracked Vera at side of the eye so bad it made us all wince. This guy is the real deal there can be no doubt about it. Should fight winner Lil-Nog-Forrest next.

JDS-GG: Well what can you say, just add GG to the list including Yvel , Crocop,Struve. and Werdum. JDS has the best hands at HW IMO. I loved what he said after the fight about giving fans knock outs. This loss solidifies GG place as gatekeeper now, which is a shame but he is never going contender again. Next up for JDS well we all know who we want him to face........ Cain Twisted Evil

Kongo-Buentello: Total domination from Kongo, Paul took a hell of a beating. Never thought i'd see him tap out to strikes. Kongo fought smart and took this fight to the ground plenty of times , obviously working on his ground game and really suprised Buentello. Who next for Kongo?...... Gonzaga i think.

Irvin-Sakara: Wierd ending, but nontheless good performance by Sakara. I irvin should really stay at 205. although will probably get cut now. Who next for Sakara?? No idea.

Howard-Roberts: Very exciting fight, action packed, back and forth and a hell of a finnish by Howard. Howard will obviously fight Rumble Johnsen next..... and these two really hate each other.

Anyone seen any other prelims?
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 pm

No, didn't see any prelims, not a bad event, dunno though, it didn't have a big card feel about it and the fact there was a break every five minutes didn't help it pissed mr right off!

No fighter entrances and the atmosphere seemed I dunno just not right.

Glad Guida got a W
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 pm

KalDog wrote:No, didn't see any prelims, not a bad event, dunno though, it didn't have a big card feel about it and the fact there was a break every five minutes didn't help it pissed mr right off!

No fighter entrances and the atmosphere seemed I dunno just not right.

Glad Guida got a W

Guida needed that win, I always love to see him fight but it never seems to end in a win.

The event itself was great, I've only had the chance to watch the main card fights on MMAlinker, so I didn't experience any of the ad breaks thankfully!

Jones looked great, he pushed aside a fairly high standard of fighter with ease, killing any talk that he hasn't faced top opposition with it. Definately winner of Forrest Nog (I want Lil Nog, because I can see Jones demolishing Forrest unfortunately) Crying or Very sad
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:38 pm

It was an ok card last night. I think people were expecting fireworks from Kongo-Buentello, but its quite clear that Kongo doesnt like standing with other strikers (which is odd when people claim he is one of the best strikers in the heavyweights)

JDS and Jones keep impressing. Jones could be a couple of fights away from a title shot, maybe give him Thiago Silva, Luis Cane, or possibly some like Griffin after the lil Nog fight. JDS against Velasquez maybe? That might give us a chance to see what his ground game is like
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:15 pm

No real surprises for me on this card!!

Irwin will definitely get cut from the UFC after that performance. As Joe Rogan said I've never seen someone look so bad after a weight cut. It was clearly too much for him. He was getting tagged easily by Sakara and it was only a matter of time before he was stopped.

Congo did well against the Headhunter and I suppose the only surprisee of the night was him tapping to strikes but to be fair he was getting "molested" as Rogan put it!! Congo is still nothing special for me. He reminds me a lot of Sokodjou, flatters to decieve on his feet, a big powerful guy but just can't cut it with top level opposition.

I knew JDS would KO Gonzaga!! GG striking isn't that great. He leaves himself open to the counter far too much. We saw it agianst Carwin and JDS excuted the counter perfectly last night. Gonzaga had already thrown 2 or 3 kicks previously where he had dropped his hands and JDS saw that and just waited for his opportunity. Great finishing once he had him tagged. JDS has to fight Cain now. In fact I'd also love to see him fight Mir given that Mir thinks his stand up is the best in the HW division right now.

Jones destroyed Vera (who IMO beat randy) and that really send a statement to the rest of the 205 division. He needs to step up again immediately against the likes of Lil Nog or Griffen. I'd love to see him fight Anderson silva if he wanted to come back up to 205 again.

I sky plussed the broadcast last night and watched the whole think this morning in about 45 minutes. The production was shocking (no walk in's and far too many advert breaks). I was impressed with the refs for a change. they were heavily involved in a lot of the fights and I thought they made the right calls every time.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Dang Jones looked phenomenal he is the Black Fedor he just looks unbeatable It will be interesting to see who he gets next Thiago Silva would be a good step but I'm thinking throw him in with the winner of Evans & Rampage.

Still not 100% sold JDS yet he has heavy hands and is a threat standing (still surprised GG didn't go for anothe take down) no doubt but his striking still looks sloppy that body jab he throws is screaming for a knee down the middle, Gonzaga is another Kongo he will beat cans looking dominant and struggle making the step up in competition speaking of Kongo he looked OK he took the right route by taking Paul down and beating up.

Sakara looked pretty good showed nice boxing maybe that was down to Irvin looking like Auschwitz survivor though.....

Good win for Howard I'm glad he got the KO hopefully that will set him up with a bigger fight possibly Rumble or even Serra or Swick.[left]
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Jones is freaking insane, just wow. I've never rated Vera but no one has demolished him like that ever before. He looks like a mix of Fedor and GSP with some Anderson Silva there as well. He needs to move up in competition now, I think he would beat all of the other top contenders Lil Nog, Griffin, Rampage and Evans. A bit more training and a few more fights and he will get a title shot, he can quite possibly be the youngest champion ever in the UFC (I think)

JDS does it again, I knew it. I had very little doubt in my mind and thats another big win to the list and he is one more win away from a title shot. Cain vs JDS-make it happen.

Buentello should just retire now, he was embarrasing. Anyone who gets outgrappled by freaking Cheik Kongo has no future in the sport. He has had a solid career, once a title contender but now he is done. Kongo is identical to Gonzaga, beats all the average fighters and looses to all the good ones (except Herring) and with only one big win between them. A worst ever Cro Cop.

Dissapointed in Irvin, poor performance. Sakara isn't really that good but he has a nice little streak going on with a previous win over former number one contender. The man to stop Silva? Probably not but atleast he has his position secure. Id like to see the winner of Belcher/Coté beat him up.

Nice to see Guida win and a nice KO by Howard. Howard vs Rumble next please.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 pm

I dont think Bones would ever fight Rashad.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Here are the special fight bonuses for UFC on Versus 1: "Vera vs. Jones:"

•Knockout(s) of the Night — John Howard, Junior dos Santos and Jon Jones
    •Submission of the Night — Clay Guida
    •Fight of the Night — N/A
    Again, each fighter received $50,000 extra for their performances in addition to their respective base salaries

No Fight of the Night!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Good point but if he ever were to I think he would win decisivley. Jones doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who won't fight his friends, I don't know why.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Some news on Irvin

- Dana White recently discussed the future of James Irvin in the UFC, here are the highlights…

On Irvin At 185: "No more 185(-pound fights) for him," White told MMAjunkie.com. "He didn't look good. I think he's got a lot of scar tissue in his face under his eyes. That was sticking out more than his eyeballs were. He didn't look good [at weigh-ins]."

Dana Still Likes Him: "I'm a huge James Irvin fan," he said after the fight. "I'm a fan of the guy; I really am. He's had some of the best knockouts in the UFC, and he always comes to fight. Tonight, it looked like the cut killed him. He couldn't get off. He couldn't throw any punches tonight. He was basically getting lit up by Sakara, and that's not James Irvin. That's not who he is as a fighter. The 185 cut is too hard for him."

Will Irvin Stay With The UFC?: "I don't know yet," White said. "Those are decisions we make when we get back to the office, but I'm a fan. I'm literally a fan of him. I really like him a lot."

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I beleive Dana is a fan.

In all seriousness it was a dumb move to try and move down, the weight cut killed him he looked like shit before the fight even started. The guy used to fight at HW when he was a kid, he is a big boy. Back to 205 with him, unfortunatley the division is stacked but there are some good fights for him. He could possibly be a potentiol opponent for Toney.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Good night of fights overall,though I feared for the worse after the first fight and then seeing Buentello jack his finger up.

Irvin looked drained and this fight started to remind me a little of the Kimbo-Houston fight,it was crap,I keep hearing people say Sakara looked good and his boxing was crisp,well I didn't see it,I thought he looked average at best and just the fact he was fighting a drained fighter who had nothing to offer may have made him look slightly better.
    I can see why Irvin thought that it was a poke in the eye,the knuckle caught the eyeball flush and must have felt more like a poke than a punch but it was deffinately a punch.
    So it's a hard one for me,cus all fighters turn away and retreat when poked in the eye,even if the ref doesn't see it they usually give them abit of time when they see the fighter wincing(Koscheck,Rumble,well most of rumbles fights) but unfortunately for Irwin the ref saw that it was a clean punch and stopped it,Good reffing all night long.Irvin could of been put on a lie detector and without seeing replays I'm sure he would of passed being convinced that he had been poked in the eye,so it's not like he was trying to cheat or get a rest.

Kongo impressed me in the fact that he fought a really smart fight and didn't give Buentello a second to do anything,I'm sure alot didn't enjoy it and thought it was cheap tactics,but I think it showed us that he still is improving as a fighter and he deserves his UFC contract.Check dominated Paul and made him quit with some relentless evil damage to his body,I'm sure he will be pissing blood for a week.Overeem used very similar tactics in beating Paul and gets applauded for it,yet Kongo did it alot better.

JDS is a beast and if your not convinced by him now,then you just have a problem with the guy and you will never be convinced.
    Can't wait till we here JDS vs Cain announced.
    Another tricky opponents brushed aside with ease,I think my favourite bit apart from the finish was when Gonzaga threw his head kick,JDS blocked it shrugged it off,smiled and gave him one back.Also the speed in which JDS got back to his feet and out of trouble after Gonzaga tried the take down was impressive.

I felt for Vera abit because I don't think he was in that much trouble untill that bomb of an elbow that would of stopped any fighter,you heard the cracking sound as the elbow landed.I think Vera is still a good match up for him and would of pushed him to the end usually.I'm glad that jones didn't milk the up kick either,showed great character and fighting spirit,there are alot of fighters that would of handled it differantly(there was only one illegal up kick,the second one Bones had both knees off the floor)
    no denying Bones's talent though and the fact that he is deffinately in the mix at the top end of the division and I can't wait to see his next fight.I was already a fan of his but I don't think I learned anything more about him from that performance that I didn't already know,so I'm not getting carried away with him after that performance but also I can't take anything away from that performance either,he fought a good fight and landed a fantastic finish against a good calibre fighter.Jones vs the loser of Forrest-Nog should be his next test.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Irvin is a brawler he likes to bang and put on entertaining fights, thats why Dana like him. He wont cut him i dont think. Same goes for Buentello "the headhunter". If these two guys lost by doing ropey dope tactics like Houston, then Dana would have fucked them out of the UFC so fast.

Its true what Dana and Joe Silva says, its better (for Zuffa) if you lose in an entertaining fight than win in boring fashion. Thales was a contender and when he lost his next fight to split decision they did not hesitate to cut him.

Also Dana has hinted in JDS-Cain, but will wait to see what happens at UFC 111. This is how i want to see things go... Mir/Carwin unifie the title with Brock next, JDS fights Cain for next title shot, Nog fights Mir/Carwin loser. Gonzaga fights Kongo. What a great division this is turning into,, and lets not forget Duffee, and Nelson/Struve winner, the guy im backing as a big prospect Chad Corvin. Cool

Vera apparently broke his cheekbone in 3 places, he could be on the shelf for a while, which i think is exactly what he needs, to take some time off.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Jon Jones, fresh off his first round stoppage of Brandon Vera last night at UFC on Versus 1, talks to UFC.com about the fight ending elbows that took the fight out of Vera:

"I think it was a really good test. To be the best student, you have to study, study, study. I feel as if I got an "A" on this test. It's just a testament to studying and hard work. My gameplan was to strike with him. I just kind of sensed that he didn't want the takedowns to go down. In a lot of his interview he said 'I don't care if I get taken down' and that kind of let me know that was in the back of his mind. My core is wrestling and you can always go back to your core. I thought mixing wrestling with kickboxing was the best way to beat him. That elbow is all Greg Jackson. He has a very distinct ground and pound system. If you realize that Georges St. Pierre does the same style elbow, it's a Team Jackson thing. I found my home. Everything is working"
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 pm

couple of points on you guys comments.

* Vera has a smashed up face bone.
    * the first upkick was illegal, 2nd was legal if you rewatch it.
    * Buentello vs Overeem is on eXtreme sports about once a week and he taps after getting kneed in the body.

i am a big fan of Paul's and dissapointed Kongo wasnt willing to stand with him (and get KOd) he is a really great striker, he actually forced the elite K1 fighter Overeem to resort to his grappling skills.

the quality of the fights was pretty poor IMO.

Irvin vs Sakara...nothing happened, Irvin looked like a famine victim before getting punched in the eye ala Crocop/Dos Santos.

very dissapointing.

i was looking forward to a striking war like i said, but Kongo decided to use his distinctly below par grappling against Buentello's WAY below par grappling in a very sloppy, stop-start fight, where he tapped to elbows to the body.

very dissappointing.

the John Howard vs the other black guy (sorry if that sounds racist) on the undercard was BY FAR the most entertaining fight on the card, and delivered the fireworks!!
    agressive striking, wrestling and submission attempts before a BRUTAL KO.
    reminiscent of Shogun/Overeem (except that was a flying/diving punch).

Dos Santos KOd Gonzaga in the first round, similar in alot of ways to the Yvel fight.
    I pretty much expected this, it was a great KO and great win, but not a great fight.
    I think even though he looked like a frightened rabbit, Crocop giving JDS a close fight for 2 rounds doesnt look so bad when you consider what happened to the rest of the guys that got in his way!

Jones is a bitch IMO.
    sorry if that sounds harsh but he is. I was gutted that it ended like that. I wanted to see the fight go on for longer because i was enjoying it.

i was not impressed as much as you guys seemingly all were.
    Jones couldnt' stand with Vera, so he took him down, his tds were VERY impressive!
    first time he left his orang-utan arms on his chest, and Vera (being the most hesitant member of the UFC roster) couldnt capitalise.
    anyway the first time he couldnt hold him down and Vera gets up.

takes him down again, gets kicked in the head and whines about it.
    doesnt learn from his first (even though your knees are down you shouldnt ask for the upkick, getting kicked in the head hurts even when its illegal) and gets kicked in the head again but legally this time.

lands an elbow and its over.... Neutral

i dont usually make guarentees but i can 100%* guarentee that Jones will crumble the first time he gets put in a bad spot.
    i can just tell. drunken

anyway DREAM was alot better event, with higher ranked fighters on it.

*99%
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm sorry i dont quite follow how Jones was a bitch?

Because he went for takedowns? Because he was illegally upkicked??

If anyone is a bitch its Vera for going for the illegal kick or cowering like a baby at the end of the fight. (Herring fought on with a broken orbital bone fractures against brock Razz )

Your point on Jones leaving his arms exposed is what Rogan said yesterday. It could have been intentional and Jones was goading Vera for the submission attempt so he can try to pass guard. Anyway theres not much danger when your opponent has his legs crossed at the level of your ass and at times even lower. Smile

Vera was supposed to be the biggest test, and it turned out to be no test at all.

I thought Jones had his knee down for the second upkick but i'll rewatch it to make sure.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 pm

the weigh ins makes me look at everything Bones does in a different light.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:23 pm

"Jones vs the loser of Forrest-Nog should be his next test"

Payne, why the loser of this fight? I think he will fight the winner which i think will be against Lil Nog. You musnt forget that origanally Lil Nog was meant to be fighting Vera at 109.

So now that Jones broke Vera's face, i think they will throw him in against Lil Nog if he wins.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 pm

Dana White doesn't seem to agree that all the refereeing decisions were correct....

"If he [Buentello] couldn't continue right there, you can't come in [and call timeout]. His finger broke. You could see he tried to stay away from the takedown, and his finger just snapped, it wasn't caught in the glove. It was broke. It should have been a TKO... This sounds insane, but it's like going in there and popping Duane's foot back in place and continuing to fight. If that was possible, it'd be the same thing."
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 am

Well sorry JDS fans, you were right and I was wrong, I hold my hands up cheers Great performance in what was Probabally the biggest fight of his career seeing Werdum came in fat. What a showing to KO Gonzaga like that, and to get back to the feet and back to Boxing like that. Great showing impressive Killer instinct after the big shot. Gonzaga did a poor job getting his wits about him. JDS is a real contender, him vs Cain is a must. They are both in contention for the title, and there couldnt be a better buildup with Cain having beat Nog (Who is now 5th in the UFC title hot pecking order! affraid never thought we would see that!) I think a fight between them would make for just as interesting fight as Carwin vs Mir. Good times for the UFC Hw devision.

Bones seriously kicked ass! Sorry Chesty but couldnt disagree more, he flung Vera about like a rag doll and Broke his face stopping him inside a round. I think he will be top 5 soon. I also think that he was justified to complain about an upkick... it being a foul after all! lol! Disapointed we didnt see the war that was expected or much crazy standup but still a vert impressive performance to do that to Vera. Bones would do much the same to Forrest or Couture and I hope he gets a big name fight and his chance to do it. Also in interviews always comes across very well, I think the weigh-ins thing is just encouraged by UFC or the Media or whatever, being a bit of a character acting like a WWE guy or creating controversy gets you attention and gets you paid. Bones is the most promising young guy in MMA outisde Aldo right now.

Bad times for Buentello who looked terrible. Kongo won on size alone. The cut and the high altitude maby didnt help but Buentello hadnt much to offer, Kongos grappling is poor, he didnt take Pauls back when it was offered to him on a plate and didnt attempt to mount or get a better position, he just used his size and strength to hold Buentello down. Ill always watch the headhunter wherever he ends up. I think UFC will cut him. Kongo isnt going to be a contender, that wasnt a good him, he couldnt pull the same stunt on Herring. Gonzaga is an ideal opponent or maby one of the winners of Barry vs Crocop or a Yvel rematch but I cant see Kongo making waves in the devision.

Dana wont cut Irvcan? After 2 performances like that? I dunno what there is for him? How much did Buentello weight? tell the both they can fight at 205lbs for their jobs! Laughing Glad to see the guy with the best Ink in MMA win. Sakara put on a good showing. I dont think he will be a worldbeater but still he is on the rise at the minute.

Howard was brilliant, there was 3 KO's of the night but his was best for me. I was calling for him to let his opponent up so he could beat him on the feet, didnt see that finish coming at all!!! Great all round game form Howard, I hope he gets to fight Rumble.

Watched Dream insted of the undercard, Ill get round to that tomorrow. Glad Guida won! Maby he can get his Main card status back soon... he has had a rum of bad luck. A Tyson Griffin rematch would be good.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 am

in case you didnt realise Alessio Sakara has just beaten 2 of Anderson Silva's recent opponents. tongue

i cant put my finger on it but i really really dislike Jones!

i want to see Nog choke him out! cheers

edit: maybe its my irrational hatred of elbows?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 am

Nah mate I half understand about Elbows, I just love Muay Thai too much to want the banned! Laughing

Lil Nog is on Fire but id half worry about another Soko happening! I wouldnt mind seeing Bones fight him but I think Griffin is a more likely opponent after Nog beats him! The winner of Forrest vs Nog will be moving on the bigger fights, I think Bones getting the looser makes sence. You have to say he has had a few Highlights in his career and love him or hate him he has entertained.

Wow I forgot about that! Maby Patrick Cote next? Start going after Silva opponents!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Interesting interview from Buentello's trainer, apparently the finger is what caused Paul to quit.

It appears that UFC heavyweight veteran, Paul Buentello quit last night due to the finger injury sustained in the first round and not the incessant punishment delivered at the hands of Wolfslair MMA Academy star, Cheick Kongo according to his trainer

Speaking to MMAJunkie.com, Trevor Whitman said:

“He couldn’t take it anymore. Kongo did a great job of applying pressure and (threw) nice elbows to the hip sockets and that high leg and the knees to the body … that all had to do with it also. But his hand was in severe pain.”

“The rules are (that) the fighter is allowed to put it back into place himself. If he can’t put it in and he can’t continue, the fight is over. The doctor just kind of stepped in; I don’t think the doctor understood the rules. We went over it with the commission in the back room. It was totally not the correct thing to do.”

“[Buentello] said he was thinking about quitting. I told him to not make any rash decisions. He was like, ‘Oh, the UFC’s going to cut me.’ Honestly, from my perspective – and I try to keep it as real as I can because I love Paul, and I think he’s a great fighter – I think he’s got to have more dimensions at this high level of the game. The thing is, it gave the fans the fight they wanted to see. (You) try to take the positive with the negative.”

After climbing to the top of the tree a few years back only to get knocked out in the first round by then champion, Andrei Arlovksi, Buentello found work outside the octagon before returning last year. After losing to Stefan Struve in December via unanimous decision “The Head Hunter” was in severe need of a win heading into this one

The UFC are usually quick to announce fighters getting cut, i think they will give Paul and Irvin another chance.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:24 pm

I just watched some of the prelims. It was a dominant straight forward win for Guida. He was on top for most of the fight. Then in 2nd round managed to get to mount and got arm traingle then got it in side control and got submission win.

Schaub gave Gormley such a beating. He looks a beast, we know from the show he has ko power and a submission game. My only worry is his chin as shown against Nelson. He could make some headway in the UFC HW division.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:48 pm